Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Post your "secret" exercises

A behind the back version of the shrug performed on the Smith machine. Your butt gets in the way with barbell behind the back shrugs but when you use the Smith machine you can actually lean forward (like a ski jumper --- your head is forward with your feet behind) effectively moving your ass out of the way. You bend your arms during this movement and it becomes kind of a shrug/row. It KILLS your traps and is an AWESOME exercise. Give it a try!

I do Gymnastic Iron Crosses. Keeps my waist around 31 in the offseason and 28 at competition
    Vince Goodrum is now on Youtube. Subscribe & Like Today!!!
    https://www.youtube.com/vincegoodrum

I take the bottom pulley of a crossover rack, and place a 45 in front of it, then an adjustable bench so you're facing the rack on. Hook a crossover handle up and you can really hit the lats high and low and really get a squeeze out of it. Basically one arm rows.

You can even put two handles on there and hold them close or wide.
    People say: "Never say Never".

Dumbbell shrugs while leaning on an incline bench - chest against the pad. It helps to shift the load off the top of the shoulders (away from the verticle plane) and more toward the upper back area - where the traps actually reside...

This exercise is a single arm incline cable curl. An adjustable incline bench is positioned so you are facing away form a low cable pulley. When doing the exercise with your right arm the bench should be a little to the right of the cable pulley then moved to the left when doing the exercise with the left arm. Then using either a d-handle or a single handed rope do the incline curl. This exercise also works pretty good standing but still facinbg away from the cable pulley. With the arm pulled back behind the body a little, it prestretches the long head of the biceps which will cause a strong contracvtion of the long head.

same position as warrior mentioned about dumbbell shrugs but do upright rows with dumbbells and even a bar works well too but depends on the type of bench becuase the bar may hit the bench Laterals in this position alao work pretty well

Using a trap bar for barbell front raises laying on an incline bench works the front delts pretty well. Keep your legs close together so the curved part of the bar can pass by your legs allowing for a greater stretch.

This exercise is similar to the high cable pulley curl done with two arms like a front double biceps. But this is done one arm at a time using a preacher bench. The seat of the preacher bench is done so your upper arm is at a right angle to your body. you just brace your upper arm or elbow on the pad and do one arm at a time

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Goodrum
    I do Gymnastic Iron Crosses. Keeps my waist around 31 in the offseason and 28 at competition
    why bother Vince.

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason
    A behind the back version of the shrug performed on the Smith machine. Your butt gets in the way with barbell behind the back shrugs but when you use the Smith machine you can actually lean forward (like a ski jumper --- your head is forward with your feet behind) effectively moving your ass out of the way. You bend your arms during this movement and it becomes kind of a shrug/row. It KILLS your traps and is an AWESOME exercise. Give it a try!
    You can do this at a squat rack too. I lean forward pulling the barbell up the posts this keeps the barbell off my ass, and when I do front shrugs with the barbell I lean back and this keeps it off my junk.
    People say: "Never say Never".

Dumbbell Squats-Drop Set.. Awesome, and little back involvement great if you suffer from back pain.

Rest Pause barbell Curls, awesome size and pump here

Natural glute ham Raise. Second best hammy exercise possible

Gironda Press for Chest. I've really gained some serious ground doing these.

Incline Cable Curls as well, great strech.

Nuff Said

An exercise using a horizontal leg press machine can work the tibialis anterior muscle (front of the calf) well. you put your heel at the top of the platformyour toes and ball of your foot should be over the top of the platform. Use light weight. Let your toes drop of in this case go forward and then lift your foot back toward you (dorsiflexion). You can also do calf raises by putting your foot at the bottom of the platform.

the over shoulder boulder holder is a great one

Smith Machine One -Arm Rows:

Stand beside a Smith Machine set at its lowest setting,bend over and grab the bar right in the middle,hold onto the machine with your other hand for support,and perform one-arm rows.............swith sides of course!!

Great exercise for a change of pace
    Strictly Business

Sleeping!!! My secret exercise is not exercising at all, but sleeping!

Quote Originally Posted by tu_holmes
    Sleeping!!! My secret exercise is not exercising at all, but sleeping!

damned if that so very true. extra/sufficient sleep will help you grow better than any secret exercise. but if youre looking to specialize, then try these much lesser known and/or used movements for new soreness and size.

back - cobras(google for technique - it will be more than worth your efforts.

chest - leaning forward dips(no lockout)

traps - lie down on a low pulley cable row with a straight bar handle, arms locked, and slowly shrug the stack to your ears...as you release it back, let it really stretch out the fascia - insane deep negatives will yield amazing results and don't forget to vary your hand positions. excellent finisher for traps.

side delts - lie on an incline bench sideways, and grab a light enough dumbell to really rep out for an unreal burn. the tension is extended on these higher up in the arc than the traditional standing variation. theyre wicked if you focus on the task at hand.

Tri's - California presses. Using a false shoulder-width grip(or slightly closer), press a heavily loaded barbell to lockout(make sure to squeeze at this point furiously) and only lower the barbell to the top of your head, no deeper. These should be maxed out on, and someprefer to do them in a power rack on the pins to complete muscular failure. they will blow the back of your arms up.

forearms/bis - underhand pull-ups. Using a true grip thats so close your hands are almost touching. focus on pulling with your arms. I knew a guy who only did these for his bi's and tie-ins, and he had serious pipes.

legs - walking lunges have never failed me as an auxillary go-to movement. they won't fail you either provided your man enough to gut them out.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast