Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Football Training

Default Football Training

I was just wondering if anyone had any tips for me and trainign for football. I am in first year at college and play on the o-line. I have a decent understanding of training and supplements but I am always willing to learn and get some advice.

Here is my current offseason schedule,

Currently we are training as a team, 3 lifts a week, 2 runs, and 1 practice.

Monday: Power Cleans 3x3 + Death drops, Front Squats 3x3 + SL jump tucks, SLDL 3x10, Weighted/plyo pushups 3x10/10, Torso drops 3x5, Pull up/Bent over Fly 3x max/10, Bicep/tricep choice 3x 10/10, core.

Monday Night is a agility workout

Tuesday Off

Wednesday: Overhead squat 3x5, Power clean complex 3x5, TRX bands pushups, single leg squats, pullups 3x10/10/10, Bench 3x5, Lat pulldowns 3xmax, DB Shoulder Press 3x10, Bi/tri choice 3x10, core

Thursday is agility workout

Friday: Hang Clean 3x5, Front squat 3x5 + squat jumps, Torso Drops 3x5, SLDL 3x10, Weighted/plyo pushups 3x10/10, Pullup/Bent over fly3x max/10, Bi/tri choice 3x 10/10, core

Friday Afternoon full practice.

I personally don't like the routine too much because I feel its to general. It has changed a bit since the start and I believe its changing again in the next couple weeks as we get closer to spring camp.

Quote Originally Posted by cozzijo433 View Post
    Here is my current offseason schedule,

Currently we are training as a team, 3 lifts a week, 2 runs, and 1 practice.

Monday: Power Cleans 3x3 + Death drops, Front Squats 3x3 + SL jump tucks, SLDL 3x10, Weighted/plyo pushups 3x10/10, Torso drops 3x5, Pull up/Bent over Fly 3x max/10, Bicep/tricep choice 3x 10/10, core.

Monday Night is a agility workout

Tuesday Off

Wednesday: Overhead squat 3x5, Power clean complex 3x5, TRX bands pushups, single leg squats, pullups 3x10/10/10, Bench 3x5, Lat pulldowns 3xmax, DB Shoulder Press 3x10, Bi/tri choice 3x10, core

Thursday is agility workout

Friday: Hang Clean 3x5, Front squat 3x5 + squat jumps, Torso Drops 3x5, SLDL 3x10, Weighted/plyo pushups 3x10/10, Pullup/Bent over fly3x max/10, Bi/tri choice 3x 10/10, core

Friday Afternoon full practice.

I personally don't like the routine too much because I feel its to general. It has changed a bit since the start and I believe its changing again in the next couple weeks as we get closer to spring camp.
    You're prob in Springball now right? Has your routine changed?

Well spring camp starts on monday. The routine hasn't changed much but it will as soon as we end the semester.

Well spring camp starts on monday. The routine hasn't changed much but it will as soon as we end the semester.
    5/3/1 for football......you can find it here.

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...&m=PD&pid=3388

This should help big time!!!!!

Good luck, keep us posted, and violate no NCAA rules
    twitter: @badbadleroyb, www.leroysmayhem.blogspot.com

5/3/1 for football is a great program! I have a buddy who is a strength coach at a Major D-1 program and they use that.

Looking at your current routine up there 2 things that stand out to me are where's the Hamstring/glute exercises (besides SLDL) and hip exercises. I know in my experience I personally had hamstring issues and so did a lot of other guys. Most football lifting programs are quad dominant, so by balancing it out by hitting the hamstrings and glutes really helps. As does working on the hips. In football all the power is generated from the hips.

A good article on hamstrings/glutes/hips:
    http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_a...glute_myth&cr=

I would definitely try to incorporate the stretches and lifts in this article. They will help strengthen your glutes and hamstrings, not to mention increase hip strength and mobility. Along with those benefits it will help with speed, squat, cleans, lineman stance and explosiveness off the line, etc...

Work hard man and study your plays.....know them in and out!! Let us know what other questions you have and if there is anything else feel free to PM me anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by Nman View Post
    5/3/1 for football is a great program! I have a buddy who is a strength coach at a Major D-1 program and they use that.

Looking at your current routine up there 2 things that stand out to me are where's the Hamstring/glute exercises (besides SLDL) and hip exercises. I know in my experience I personally had hamstring issues and so did a lot of other guys. Most football lifting programs are quad dominant, so by balancing it out by hitting the hamstrings and glutes really helps. As does working on the hips. In football all the power is generated from the hips.

A good article on hamstrings/glutes/hips:
    http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_a...glute_myth&cr=

I would definitely try to incorporate the stretches and lifts in this article. They will help strengthen your glutes and hamstrings, not to mention increase hip strength and mobility. Along with those benefits it will help with speed, squat, cleans, lineman stance and explosiveness off the line, etc...

Work hard man and study your plays.....know them in and out!! Let us know what other questions you have and if there is anything else feel free to PM me anytime.
    I'm using 5/3/1 and it's a great program. Shifting my emphasis back towards bodybuilding, but I'm keeping the program.

I think Wendler has opened a monster!!!!!!

Thanks guys I'm gonna check this out. By the way I'm from Canada so I play in the CIS not thew NCAA. Once again thanks and I'll keep you guys posted.

With my type of trainign specifically for an o lineman, what should I worry about with regards to supplements. Basically I would like to know what I should be taking and when should I take it. Also, what types of stacks are good?

With my type of trainign specifically for an o lineman, what should I worry about with regards to supplements. Basically I would like to know what I should be taking and when should I take it. Also, what types of stacks are good?
    One stack I like for games/practice/training is the Performance Stack recently when I play I'll use Jack3d and I really like the boost it gives and it lasts the whole game. In football your joints definitely take a pounding so I would say take a good glucosomine product.

I've just found out that there is going to be a combine for all underclassmen in Canada on May 30th. I was wondering what you guys think the best way to prepare for it is. Basically what should I be doing and should I change my strategy and structure to my workouts?

I've just found out that there is going to be a combine for all underclassmen in Canada on May 30th. I was wondering what you guys think the best way to prepare for it is. Basically what should I be doing and should I change my strategy and structure to my workouts?
    Joe Defranco has a combine preparation e-book

https://www.defrancostraining.com/st...cat=251&page=1

Get it now, ask questions later