Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Some Guy`s From My Old Gym !

Quote Originally Posted by Lynch View Post
    The bodybuilders of the 80's looked so much better than the bodybuilders today.
    this is the smartest thing i've ever heard, i know that if i was around then it would mean shortening my life but i wish i was. bodybuilding was so beautiful back then.
    2013 NPC MID-ILLINOIS LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMP

OK,getting back to the story of how I split Pat Hayes` head open!!

Back then in Springfield, as far as gyms went, there was only the Springfield YMCA, or a crappy health club type gym with chrome dumbells and stuff located in the suburb of Agawam Mass,called The Roman Health Spa.

Needless to say...we trained at the "Y" !! ;D

I first met Pat at the YMCA way back in the early 1970`s.He had been a very good hockey player, but started lifting to help out his hockey, and he was bitten by the "iron bug" and it stuck.

To make a long story short,which isn`t too easy for me,while training at the "Y", we met a guy who was going to school at American International College ,also located in Spfld.

His name was Roger Auidi, and he promised the guy`s that he was going to open up a hardcore gym ,we didn`t beleive him, and thought he was just blowin` smoke, but he did start a modest little gym which grew fast and moved 4-5 different times all over the city, called Central City Gym.

Everybody knew me in town, and I was an obssesive trainer, who blitzed and blasted my way through torturous marathon workouts..I didn`t make great gains,but I trained my ass off.

My then training partner, Ray Harris, who was just a total animal as a teen-ager, was going into the Marines, so a young kid who use to marvel at our intensity level when we trained,named Glen Clark, asked me if he could start training with me and if I could kinda`show him the ropes.

I agreed onthe one condition that we trained in psycho fashion!!

No problem for Glen as he soon got a lot stronger and was gaining good size.We trained together for a year or so when Roger then offered me a job working at the desk in the gym.The job entailed showing prospective members around,helping out novice trainees,and designing workouts for people without a clue.

I quickly and enthusiasticallt agreed !!

What better gig for a guy who loved to train than working in a gym...........right?

RIGHT!!
    Strictly Business

For the most part, my job at the gym was great,all I actually did most of the time, was spot buddies of mine,sit in the office and eat,and talk bodybuilding to my friends......the gym was like a second home, where at times after training, we`d all hang out and shoot the breeze about certain pros, or contests,or training or girls,or what have you.

Well one day while perusing a muscle book, and knocking down a couple of tuna sandwiches, with a couple of cartons of milk,and just kicking back in the office waiting for my partner Glen Clark to get out of school.............he was attending Springfield Technical Community College,Pat Hayes popped his head in and we sat around BSing for about an hour, while I waited for Glen to show up so we could train!!

It seemed that Glen and Pat had known each other a lot longer than I had known either one of them,and they just did not get along!!

As we sat there talking,Glen`s head suddenly popped in the door and it was..."Hey Wes, c`mon brother I`m psyched to do legs" !!

The fact that he interrupted our conversation didn`t sit well with Hayes, as he told Glen he was a complete jerk, and asked him if he didn`t see us talking.

Glen immediately gave him the finger, and took a sharp right into the locker room to change into his workout gear,

Pat sprang from his seat like a wildman, and went in after him grabbing Glen by the throat !!

Glen gave him a shot in the face, while World Arm Wrestling champ,Guy Lasorsa, who was already in the locker room, stepped in and grabbed Glen to break it up.

As Guy grabbed Glen, Pat hit him in the face, so I headlocked Pat, and ran with him into the sharp edge of a locker door, splitting his head open.

After I made sure he was calm ,I let him go!!!

I didn`t mean to hurt the guy, but it all happened in the blink of an eye.
    Later Pat told me I was a strong guy, and that he couldn`t get out of my headlock...........he wasn`t the only one that failed to escape, as I had been put through windows by bigger guys, and still never let go of their head!

Hey no brain...................no pain!! :Head Bash:

I`ll have more on Pat and a bunch of other guy`s as I add steadily to this thread!!

I hope you are enjoying these boring stories,but they are good memories for me!!
    Strictly Business

It seems like everyone at your gym knows how to train legs. Amazing quads and calves!

they are great stories.....there just isnt the comradderie (spelling) anymore....ilike i said before i am only 28 but have a deep passion for bb of the past

Default Pat Hayes

http://www.bodybuildingreviews.net/v...9Palmiero.html

I reviewed a video that Wayne Gallasch did with Pat Hayes posing. See my review linked above if interested. The tape is only on VHS, but is still available here.

http://www.gmv.com.au/default.asp?pa...did=494&site=1

Another really good bodybuilder who used to train at Central City Gym was Ray Wilson!!

Strictly Business

Another shot of Ray Wilson!

He left Massachusettes and moved somewhere in the Midwest........Chicago or a suburb of Chicago,I beleive,and continued to compete out there!!

Strictly Business

Another guy from Springfield who occasionally trained at either Central City or Big Daddy`s,but wasn`t as well known as the guy`s above, was Chris Gordon!

Chris was probably the first bodybuilder I ever saw in person, as he lived right in the same neighborhood as me when I was a kid.

He trained in his basement gym for the most part.

Though you`ve probably never heard of him, he did a lot of local contests, and even did some big early IFBB show`s in NYC....... but did`nt fare tooo well in "The Big Apple".

Once you look at the two pics below.....if you`ve ever seen the movie Pumping Iron,you`ll recognize Chris and his wife from the film.

Chris was a real charachter and I have a bit more to add about him later on in the thread!!

His wife went a bit spastic in the movie.......to say the least!!

Strictly Business

where did the pics go?

Quote Originally Posted by adambombbis View Post
    where did the pics go?
    I can see all the pics except for Tims last post bro..

Is that the ones your talking about?....

I`ll look into it...........might be a problem with an old pic hosting site that I used for these pics.
    Strictly Business

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123