Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 52 to 68 of 69

Thread: What the hell to eat on contest day ???

  1. #52
    Colemanesque Beti ona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    21,489
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AChappell View Post
    Glucose is stored in the muscle with water at around a 1:2.7 ratio as glycogen. You can't mobilise those glycogen stores unless you do exercise specific to the muscle group. You don't have the transport enzymes in the same way the liver has to export glucose from muscle. So strictly speaking you don't need the water and the salt to maintain the fullness. You do however need to have the carbohydrate in the muscle in the first place though.
    I do not understand what you want to say.

    You can do the carb load on Thursday and Friday when you are drinking tons of water and salt its added (On Friday you will reduce or cut the salt, water will be cut on Friday at sunset), you can also do some upper body light training in those days to help storage.

    So obviously you already have stored hydrates, the show day you do not need to store more, just keep the fullness. If you do not drink water, you will not to spill, but you could flatten out all day long.

    That is my experience.

    Quote Originally Posted by thegoon View Post
    He doesn't even compete he is just saying what he's heard
    You do not need to compete to investigate and test protocols. Just like you can try your record in deadlift without going to a powerlifting meeting.
    «Humanity has been led by failures.»

  2. #53
    Online Editor Ron Harris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Boston, MA area
    Posts
    72,538

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AChappell View Post
    I'm writing a research paper on this at the moment based on peak week and the contest day plan. I've surveyed drug free bodybuilders on their strategies. I think it’s generally well accepted that if you manipulate your fluids, carbs, or electrolytes you can have a profound effect on your appearance, for the good or the bad. Otherwise people wouldn’t bother employing strategies. There’s also a cultural aspect to peaking, and the feeling of authentication associated with being an athlete. The majority of competitors I surveyed employ a peaking strategy and the ones mentioned above are the most common, although they are employed exclusively and mutually.
    Contest day nutrition is slightly different nearly everyone seems to employ at least one strategy. The most popular strategy being to have something sweet 10 to 60 minutes before going on stage. Even the ones that keep everything the same in their diet still do this. People usually seem concerned with drying out, not bloating, and being full. So low fibre foods that are well tolerated should be an option, things that aren’t going to be particularly taxing on the digestive tract or heavy should probably be avoided. Everyone’s constitution is a little bit different so it’s worth seeing what you can tolerate. The most popular items seem to be: potatoes, rice, sweet potatoes, rice cakes, preserves, nuts, white meats, and sweets (aka candy)
    Astute observation, because I can tell you from following 1,000's of competitors on social media that no one gets more excited about peak week than Bikini competitors - who hardly look any different regardless of carb, water, and sodium manipulation.
    Muscular Development Online Editor
    FB: Ron Harris IG: RonHarrisMuscle Author "EvilX10: 10 Tales of Extreme Darkness"

  3. #54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thegoon View Post
    That was like a year and a half ago. The infamous blow up mattress pic and go fund me scandal
    He came again after that with a new username so he could explain how the abuse thing was blown out of proportion and the go fund me was started by an ex who was being petty.

  4. #55
    Barbarian AChappell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Sheffield, England
    Posts
    463
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beti ona View Post
    I do not understand what you want to say.

    You can do the carb load on Thursday and Friday when you are drinking tons of water and salt its added (On Friday you will reduce or cut the salt, water will be cut on Friday at sunset), you can also do some upper body light training in those days to help storage.

    So obviously you already have stored hydrates, the show day you do not need to store more, just keep the fullness. If you do not drink water, you will not to spill, but you could flatten out all day long.

    That is my experience.



    You do not need to compete to investigate and test protocols. Just like you can try your record in deadlift without going to a powerlifting meeting.
    If you think it through Beti ona, The lack of fullness is down to a lack of glycogen and intraceullar water. Keeping fullness is the issue, it's not a lack of water, since as you said the water is in the muscle, it's not going anywhere. So long as you keep fullness, you'll be fine, and that's something I've got plenty of experience with and observed in hundreds of athletes who have restricted water. A few things though 1) food is largely water, a banana or a potato for example is 80% water, 2) There's more than one water restriction strategy, some practice complete restriction, others may sip water. 3) Beta-fat oxidation is the main energy sustrate during rest, or low intensity activity, so long as you eat fat you sohuld be able to maintain that fullness 4) the show is split into two parts, morning and evening, the strategies used at prejudging are quite different to the evening. Isometric contractions will deplete you, youll lose fullness, so you do need to eat and drink water thereafter. 5) different classes fudge the issue.

    I also agree, it's worth testing protocols. I've done 1300 g of carb per day carb ups, and 15 L of water per day. I can manage that and I have experience knowing what that feels like. Not all athletes are going to be able to cope.
    PhD Human Nutrition

  5. #56
    Barbarian AChappell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Sheffield, England
    Posts
    463
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Harris View Post
    Astute observation, because I can tell you from following 1,000's of competitors on social media that no one gets more excited about peak week than Bikini competitors - who hardly look any different regardless of carb, water, and sodium manipulation.

    I have to give credit elsewhere, there's a sociologist called Dimitrios Liokaftos who writes about bodybuilding. These are his ideas, although I'm inclined to agree. Dimitrios has written a fanatistic book on bodybuilding, " A Genealogy of Male Bodybuilding" It's essentially a history book which attempts to explain the cultural and social aspects of the sport. I'm sure the historians out there like Peter McGough would love it.
    PhD Human Nutrition

  6. #57
    Spotter
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    110
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beti ona View Post
    You'll go crazy listening to all kinds of opinions, if you've hired a coach, stick to his advices. What you need least now is stress and too much thought.



    No.



    The sugars are not your enemy on show day, as long as you keep the water and salt in balance, they will only help you. Whole-grain carbohydrates may be hard to digest, the last thing you want is a bulging gut.

    The protein is not too important so keep it lower, but I think it is good to put the 3 macronutrients throughout the day except the last meal before going out to compete.
    Ah yes, you make a good point. Quick digesting carbs before I go on stage will only be beneficial due to the meal timing. I Will now treat myself to a kit kat bar and a handful of gummy bears 20 minutes before I go up there for prejudging. I Love those things and haven't had one in a long time. I am also thinking of a good nice and cold Twix before finals.
    Last edited by NPCCompetitor79; May 3rd, 2018 at 01:22 PM.

  7. #58
    Freak of Nature thegoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Boston Area
    Posts
    11,310
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NPCCompetitor79 View Post
    Ah yes, you make a good point. Quick digesting carbs before I go on stage will only be beneficial due to the meal timing. I Will now treat myself to a kit kat bar and a handful of gummy bears 20 minutes before I go up there for prejudging. I Love those things and haven't had one in a long time. I am also thinking of a good nice and cold Twix before finals.
    Dude avoid chocolate for that particular purpose , chocolate contains fat so it will take longer to digest. Think gummy bears , jelly beans or Swedish fish. Quick almost all simple sugar

  8. #59

    Default

    I tried "Salt loading" one year. People had said you need a little sodium before going onstage to be vascular.

    Well anything worth doing is worth overdoing! I took about 3 or 4 times the suggested amount. Don't know if it worked but I did not win....of course.

    I think I have the Worlds longest stretch of 2nd place finishes....about 20 in the last 38 years, I am not kidding.

  9. #60

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thegoon View Post
    Dude avoid chocolate for that particular purpose , chocolate contains fat so it will take longer to digest. Think gummy bears , jelly beans or Swedish fish. Quick almost all simple sugar
    Quote Originally Posted by AChappell View Post
    . 3) Beta-fat oxidation is the main energy sustrate during rest, or low intensity activity, so long as you eat fat you sohuld be able to maintain that fullness 4)
    Fat was mentioned in the post hence his talking about kit kats and stuff. I reckon it was a joke

  10. #61
    Spotter
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    110
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thegoon View Post
    Dude avoid chocolate for that particular purpose , chocolate contains fat so it will take longer to digest. Think gummy bears , jelly beans or Swedish fish. Quick almost all simple sugar
    Will do thank you.

  11. #62
    Freak of Nature thegoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Boston Area
    Posts
    11,310
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NPCCompetitor79 View Post
    Will do thank you.
    Have fat the morning of the show peanut butter and as a snack. But before stage simple sugars

  12. #63
    Juggernaut GeorgeUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,501
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    None of this matters if you are still fat at the end of your diet. Invariably the people who get most excited by ‘peak week’ (I hate those words) are those who want magic to happen instead of dieting the fat off.
    D E S T R O Y

  13. #64
    Barbarian AChappell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Sheffield, England
    Posts
    463
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeUK View Post
    None of this matters if you are still fat at the end of your diet. Invariably the people who get most excited by ‘peak week’ (I hate those words) are those who want magic to happen instead of dieting the fat off.
    Fair points. One that should never be ignored. Realistically most don't need it. If your out of shape it's not worth the hassle.

    The idea with sodium is as follows, the major intracellular ions are pottassium and chloride. Sodium on the other hand is one of the major extracellular ions. This system is tightly regulated. So any manipulation is likely to only result in short lived or acute changes. In which case it comes down to timing and when to take it. Thankfully it seems fairly safe, Ive heard of people using sodium and it having no detremental effects on the appearance of the physique.

    As thegoon points out, to maintain fullness in the muscle fats in the morning, and some carbohydrate before you go on stage seems a prudent strategy.
    PhD Human Nutrition

  14. #65
    Colemanesque Beti ona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    21,489
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AChappell View Post
    If you think it through Beti ona, The lack of fullness is down to a lack of glycogen and intraceullar water. Keeping fullness is the issue, it's not a lack of water, since as you said the water is in the muscle, it's not going anywhere. So long as you keep fullness, you'll be fine, and that's something I've got plenty of experience with and observed in hundreds of athletes who have restricted water. A few things though 1) food is largely water, a banana or a potato for example is 80% water, 2) There's more than one water restriction strategy, some practice complete restriction, others may sip water. 3) Beta-fat oxidation is the main energy sustrate during rest, or low intensity activity, so long as you eat fat you sohuld be able to maintain that fullness 4) the show is split into two parts, morning and evening, the strategies used at prejudging are quite different to the evening. Isometric contractions will deplete you, youll lose fullness, so you do need to eat and drink water thereafter. 5) different classes fudge the issue.

    I also agree, it's worth testing protocols. I've done 1300 g of carb per day carb ups, and 15 L of water per day. I can manage that and I have experience knowing what that feels like. Not all athletes are going to be able to cope.
    I am always willing to learn, you have a lot of experience and above all you have worked with other athletes using different strategies.

    I have also tried to load with fats but I need more experience. I just ate too much and there was no turning back, lol.

    I like to have some exercises in cable for the upper body without get fail, 20 reps and about30 minutes, maybe on Wednesday and Thursday. If you are loading well and drinking a lot of water, I can only see benefits.

    I think that to absorb glucose you need sodium and water. Many times if you are depleted no matter how much sugar you eat, you will not be full. I've been in that scenario, and I would lose weight throughout the hours.

    This same happens in long-distance athletes, some suplements formulas have many minerals but do not contain sodium, and glucose is sodium-dependent at the intestinal level. Then they run the risk of becoming dehydrated.
    «Humanity has been led by failures.»

  15. #66
    Spotter
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    110
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thegoon View Post
    Have fat the morning of the show peanut butter and as a snack. But before stage simple sugars
    Yes one of my staples is oats with peanut or almond butter and some walden farms walnut maple syrup. I prefer using buff bake nut butters. I also love rice cakes with a little sugar free or low sugar jelly. Ezekiel cinnamon raisin english muffins are excellent as well and my personal favorite for morning carbs next to oats. Thank you for your time and advice. I take it you have been competing for quite some time? Do you have any shows this year if you don't mind me asking? If so good luck to you!

  16. #67
    Forum Leader: 18 and Over bigmikecox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Holiday, Florida
    Posts
    66,227

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Harris View Post
    Astute observation, because I can tell you from following 1,000's of competitors on social media that no one gets more excited about peak week than Bikini competitors - who hardly look any different regardless of carb, water, and sodium manipulation.
    They drop water, manipulate sodium, snack on rice cakes and even pump up. WTF
    SMOKE WEED EVERYDAY
    2016 NBA Champs...Cleveland Cavs

  17. #68
    Spotter
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    110
    Gender
    Male

    Default

    Well thanks for the advice on here as it was very nice to read and get some input leading up to my first ever show. Ended up attaining a top 5 finish which I also got to bring home a nice trophy to put on display. Looking forward to my next show in 3 weeks.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •