Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Another look at Gregg V Rambling Freak

Default Another look at Gregg V Rambling Freak

Since posting and reading here at the new MD mesage board, I have a new respect for the MD staff and have had my outlook on bodybuilding get a lot more positive.I recently read some intersting stuff from MD's ramblin' freak ,Gregg V. Until recently I based most of what I knew of him from 3 sources.
    1. The news clip of him getting busted and taken off in cuffs, freakish arms flapping .

2.The Man with exploding arms.

3. His MD column which made me, a school teacher , wince when I skimmed it . I think a few odd typos on a message board ,are fine , but that kind of rambling in a published mag???

In fairness to myself , as a HS teacher , really intersted in how teenage males view the world of athletes and bodybuilders well , I think anyone would understand my initial rejection of him.

I think I "get" GV now and here is my take.

In the age of Jerry Springer and reality TV shows like "who wants to marry a midget" it REQUIRES doing or saying something really wild to get anyone to take notice . GV had a decent look and good regional/state level physique back in the day. Like many others , he might have ended up as an avg guy, cheering for the yankees , looking buffed with a regular life.
    Maybe GV got bored, maybe he said what the hell,maybe he just kept at it, who knows.?????
    At any rate he used a variety of extreme methods to blow his arms (and delts?) up to "side show" like proportions. He admits he got into a criminal lifestyle during this time as well. Sold drugs, was a gang banger, lived life on the edge,wild sex etc. He got busted and paid for his mistakes, big time.
    However, his story was so different , so extreme , it became a stranger than fiction life adventure and TLC did that feature on him.
    Granted his life was a tale of self imposed ,self destruction with a freaky bicep twist. But, like any awesome train wreck, ya gotta pull over and take a look In a final ironic twist helped by GV's own charisma and wildman persona, he ended up as cult hero/figure in some circles of hard core bodybuilding.

As bodybuilders we are ,by definition , misfits of conventional society and its' typical norms . But I am cool with that. I know first hand the dull, "tread thru life" existance that many of my peers exhibit. We all have that inner wildchild waiting to get out. It is the appeal of the Las Vegas promo ads , rock and roll and gangsta rap.Yup, GV you are the poster boy for the renegade roots of bodybuilding and take that spirit to the edge.
    Few of us will ever live the lifestyle of Mic Jagger or Keith Richards, but most of their fans sure love to let lose and rock with them . I am no Rolling Stones fan, but know for a fact,they still draw plenty of middle aged old farts like me who want to let go and rock for a few hrs like the old days

That is where you come in GV. None of us in real, hardcore bodybuilding want some "nice toned muscles". Truth be told we want to look (at least )a tad freaky and massive. We may work a 9-5 job, but down deep, we all enjoy seeing some wildman flip off "da man".

Party on GV! Howard in Ga
    I saw a star, reached for it...and MISSED

Howard, I always like what you say, but damn... why you gotta type so much?

Let's keep this thing short and sweet...

GV... Says FU to "The Man" and we like it.

Quote Originally Posted by tu_holmes
    Howard, I always like what you say, but damn... why you gotta type so much?

Let's keep this thing short and sweet...

GV... Says FU to "The Man" and we like it.

LOL< you think this is bad imagine being in a 90 min class and being forced to listen to me or risk detention aaaaahhhhhhhhh!
    GV is the ramblin freak and I am the ramblin old fart
    The main difference is GV will wake you up like a shot of booze, while I just bore you to death

Just to make one point Howard... he never claimed to BE a gang banger, but rather hung out WITH them.
    Other than that, your posts are always great to read, and your viewpoint of things are always interesting.
    On a side note, since you seem to be a meathead at heart... whats your students think about all of your size... do they ask you the regular shit ton of questions.

I had a HS history teacher who was on his college PL team, but as he got older he switched to a more BB'er type regimen and looked the part. His shirts always seemed to be waiting to burst if he moved in certain directions... and he was hammered by questions about his training all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by PECS
    Just to make one point Howard... he never claimed to BE a gang banger, but rather hung out WITH them.
    Other than that, your posts are always great to read, and your viewpoint of things are always interesting.
    On a side note, since you seem to be a meathead at heart... whats your students think about all of your size... do they ask you the regular shit ton of questions.

I had a HS history teacher who was on his college PL team, but as he got older he switched to a more BB'er type regimen and looked the part. His shirts always seemed to be waiting to burst if he moved in certain directions... and he was hammered by questions about his training all the time.
    Wow, thanks for the positive words. Are you based in S La.?
    I think my size and positive sense of humor helps me deal with my students. I teach all levels from AP physics to kids that have previously failed basic physical science and struggle to pass math and science.
    I think it is pretty cool that I break down stereotypes by being this big "meathead" and also teaching physics and chemistry. Most seem to enjoy my class compared to some others they have had.I try to avoid bodybuilding talk in my class, but it comes up obviously.
    But hey look at Jumbo Polumbo, he is a LOT more massive than me and smarter to boot.
    Howard

I hear ya. My history teacher used to also own a hobby shop, mainly baseball, football and basjetball cards... used to spend hours and all of my allowance in there, and talking lifting. He helped me pack on the size I needed for football, since I have never been naturally big or strong... but education wise he was a smart man, and broke through many stereotypes.
    We still exchange the yearly x-mas card and family updates... he's in his 60-70s now and still is big. LOL!!! I learned alot from him in so many different areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard
    Since posting and reading here at the new MD mesage board, I have a new respect for the MD staff and have had my outlook on bodybuilding get a lot more positive.I recently read some intersting stuff from MD's ramblin' freak ,Gregg V. Until recently I based most of what I knew of him from 3 sources.
    1. The news clip of him getting busted and taken off in cuffs, freakish arms flapping .

2.The Man with exploding arms.

3. His MD column which made me, a school teacher , wince when I skimmed it . I think a few odd typos on a message board ,are fine , but that kind of rambling in a published mag???

In fairness to myself , as a HS teacher , really intersted in how teenage males view the world of athletes and bodybuilders well , I think anyone would understand my initial rejection of him.

I think I "get" GV now and here is my take.

In the age of Jerry Springer and reality TV shows like "who wants to marry a midget" it REQUIRES doing or saying something really wild to get anyone to take notice . GV had a decent look and good regional/state level physique back in the day. Like many others , he might have ended up as an avg guy, cheering for the yankees , looking buffed with a regular life.
    Maybe GV got bored, maybe he said what the hell,maybe he just kept at it, who knows.?????
    At any rate he used a variety of extreme methods to blow his arms (and delts?) up to "side show" like proportions. He admits he got into a criminal lifestyle during this time as well. Sold drugs, was a gang banger, lived life on the edge,wild sex etc. He got busted and paid for his mistakes, big time.
    However, his story was so different , so extreme , it became a stranger than fiction life adventure and TLC did that feature on him.
    Granted his life was a tale of self imposed ,self destruction with a freaky bicep twist. But, like any awesome train wreck, ya gotta pull over and take a look In a final ironic twist helped by GV's own charisma and wildman persona, he ended up as cult hero/figure in some circles of hard core bodybuilding.

As bodybuilders we are ,by definition , misfits of conventional society and its' typical norms . But I am cool with that. I know first hand the dull, "tread thru life" existance that many of my peers exhibit. We all have that inner wildchild waiting to get out. It is the appeal of the Las Vegas promo ads , rock and roll and gangsta rap.Yup, GV you are the poster boy for the renegade roots of bodybuilding and take that spirit to the edge.
    Few of us will ever live the lifestyle of Mic Jagger or Keith Richards, but most of their fans sure love to let lose and rock with them . I am no Rolling Stones fan, but know for a fact,they still draw plenty of middle aged old farts like me who want to let go and rock for a few hrs like the old days

That is where you come in GV. None of us in real, hardcore bodybuilding want some "nice toned muscles". Truth be told we want to look (at least )a tad freaky and massive. We may work a 9-5 job, but down deep, we all enjoy seeing some wildman flip off "da man".

Party on GV! Howard in Ga

Im not reading all that..................................

Quote Originally Posted by MICHAEL ARVILLA
    Im not reading all that..................................
    , aaaaahh you are a smart guy after all LOL

Quote Originally Posted by PECS

PECS, I agree his posts are entertaining, and gregg is a good guy, but I think you should re-phrase the "great to read" part, the CAPS IS FUCKING HARD ON THE EYES!!!!. Other than that though I think Gregg is great.

Quote Originally Posted by davidbb
    PECS, I agree his posts are entertaining, and gregg is a good guy, but I think you should re-phrase the "great to read" part, the CAPS IS FUCKING HARD ON THE EYES!!!!. Other than that though I think Gregg is great.
    I still would prefer to see things like tatoos, extreme drug use, thug clothes and to NOT be a part of the sport. However, they are and lost of folks like this kind of renegade image. As a libertarien, my individual freedom right , take priority over any personal oinions and feelings I have.
    Howard

THANK YOU GUYS....IM ONE OF YOU, I NOT ONE OF THEM...STEVE BLECHMAN GAVE ME UPFRONT SEATS TO THE MR OLYMPIA PRE-JUDGING & NIGHT SHOW...MD SEATS....THIS WAS 2 YEARS AGO IN VEGAS,....I GAVE THE TICKETS AWAY AND STAYED AT THE EXPO WITH THE SUPPORTERS AND ATE WITH A GROUP OF NEW FRIENDS I MET AT THE EXPO.........I DID THE SAME WITH MY ARNOLD CLASSIC TICKETS...PRE-JUDGING & NIGHT SHOW....I GAVE THEM BACK TO STEVE AND TOLD HIM I WOULD RATHER BE WITH THE PEOPLE WHO WANNA TALK TO ME.......ASK STEVE BLECHMAN ABOUT THAT, HE WILL TELL YOU ITS TRUE......

BOTH SHOWS I HAD TICKETS YOU GUYS WOULD KILL FOR AND I GAVE THEM ALL AWAY BECAUSE I WAS THERE TO BE WITH THE PEOPLE, I CAN CARELESS ABOUT THE SHOW......THE POLITICS OPF BODYBUILDING SICKEN ME
    “Success causes envy , jealousy & hatred from the un-successful !!!! ”..Gregg Valentino

MY NEW'TRAINING BOOK'
    CLICK ON THIS >http://greggvalentino.net/?p=8

MY "NEW
    "FACEBOOK > http://www.facebook.com/pages/GREGG-VALENTINO-Friends-Supporters/334960258389?ref=mf

CLICK HERE FOR THE BOOK

Death, Drugs, & Muscle: The Gregg Valentino Story

MY TWITTER > http://twitter.com/#!/GREGG_VALENTINO

www.GreggValentino.net

http://www.myspace.com/greggvalentino

I must confess that I've never trusted the Web. I've always seen it as a coward's tool. Where does it live? How do you hold it personally responsible? Can you put a distributed network of fiber-optic cable "on notice"? And is it male or female? In other words, can I challenge it to a fight?......Stephen Colbert

Quote Originally Posted by GREGG VALENTINO
    THANK YOU GUYS....IM ONE OF YOU, I NOT ONE OF THEM...STEVE BLECHMAN GAVE ME UPFRONT SEATS TO THE MR OLYMPIA PRE-JUDGING & NIGHT SHOW...MD SEATS....THIS WAS 2 YEARS AGO IN VEGAS,....I GAVE THE TICKETS AWAY AND STAYED AT THE EXPO WITH THE SUPPORTERS AND ATE WITH A GROUP OF NEW FRIENDS I MET AT THE EXPO.........I DID THE SAME WITH MY ARNOLD CLASSIC TICKETS...PRE-JUDGING & NIGHT SHOW....I GAVE THEM BACK TO STEVE AND TOLD HIM I WOULD RATHER BE WITH THE PEOPLE WHO WANNA TALK TO ME.......ASK STEVE BLECHMAN ABOUT THAT, HE WILL TELL YOU ITS TRUE......

BOTH SHOWS I HAD TICKETS YOU GUYS WOULD KILL FOR AND I GAVE THEM ALL AWAY BECAUSE I WAS THERE TO BE WITH THE PEOPLE, I CAN CARELESS ABOUT THE SHOW......THE POLITICS OPF BODYBUILDING SICKEN ME
    Greg you are a true ambassador of bodybuilding!

Quote Originally Posted by GREGG VALENTINO

Next time keep the tickets and enjoy the show big guy, you deserve it.
    Hey, if you do give them away, at least give them to a couple hot babes and hook up later

That is what most of us REGULAR guys would try hehehe.
    Howard

Quote Originally Posted by Howard
    Next time keep the tickets and enjoy the show big guy, you deserve it.
    Hey, if you do give them away, at least give them to a couple hot babes and hook up later

That is what most of us REGULAR guys would try hehehe.
    Howard
    By "a couple hot babes" I am assuming you mean girls under the age of 15?

Fucking pervert.

As an educator you should be ASHAMED of yourself, shitface.

And, by the way, FUCK YOU.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake
    By "a couple hot babes" I am assuming you mean girls under the age of 15?

Fucking pervert.

As an educator you should be ASHAMED of yourself, shitface.

And, by the way, FUCK YOU.

Come on... Let's be honest... a lot of people say shit on the internet that is just false... If he has not approached any underage girl and he hasn't attempted to do anything WITH an underage girl, then he's not really done anything wrong.

There is no crime against thinking about killing someone, only the act of killing someone is a crime.... same with statutory rape.

Now, i admit it's probably not the BEST thing for a teacher to even allude that he's done something improper (or would do something) with a student, but the reality is that many women (who physically mature around the age of 14 or 15) are quite attractive...

Now don't get me wrong I would NEVER EVER date anyone under 18 (Hell, I'd have mental issues dating someone under 25 at this point in my life), but the reality is that it is not unusual for 15-17 year old girls to appear as completely adult women... That's why you gotta ask for ID these days.

I do think that Howard may be getting a bad wrap here... but I think it proves a point that you can't just say crap willy nilly on the internet and not expect it to eventually come back and bite you in the ass.

That's our lesson for today boys and girls... watch what you say.

Oh, and if any teacher ever touches my daughter like that... I'll kill him. (Yes, I said it... so don't do anything with my daughter you perves)