Muscular Development Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EXCLUSIVE! Lee Haney Fireside Chat with Shawn Ray at his Home in GA: Road to 1982 Nationals!!!

"Surprised Shawn didn't try to steal the trophy when he got hold of it. "

Are you kidding me?
    That dude earned every one of those Sandows but it was symbolic of when I first started bodybuilding that I had to "Touch" them. Afterall, I spent the better part of my life trying to get one for myself along with many other Hall of Fame Bodybuilders whom have actually never even held a Sandow.

Remember, 2nd Place is the first loser on stage and the second to last guy onstage to exit it, leaving all of the 1st Runner Ups, without the chance to actually hold a "Sandow" which would include the likes of: Albert Beckels, Mohammad Makkawy, Lee Labrada, Richie Gaspari, Flex Wheeler, Kevin Levrone, Victor Martinez, Branch Warren and recently but not for long, Phil Heath!

I not only remember the 1st time I held a Sandow at 18 yrs old visiting Chris Dickerson with my girlfriend after my 3rd contest but I remember staying over at Dorian Yates house back in 2001 and trying to make off with his 94 Sandow before he took me to the airport! Last thing before I got in the car was he noticed my bag was alot heavier and I had to give up the goods!
    Later when Jay Cutler joined TEAM MD, I interviewed him at his house and held at the time 3 of his Sandow Trophies, he since added a 4th this year! It was like a "Wow" moment for me even in retirement.
    But what an Honor it was to at least hold the Crown Jewel of our sport not to mention I had the pleasure of "Touching & Holding" 18 Sandow Trophies out of the 45 years they have been presented , something alot of other Bodybuilders will never have the pleasure of doing.
    There are two things we usually remember in our lifetimes with clarity, "Our First and our Last" regarding anything! In 1983 a year after Chris Dickerson won the Olympia at the ripe old age of 42, I held what I would pursue in my yet unestablished career early enough to know what I was working toward. Fast forward to 2010, God would see fit for me to interview what I consider the Greatest Bodybuilder in history in his living room and dust off 8, count them 8 Sandow Trophies of which 3 times I was onstage with him when he was earning them. I still get giddy about those times but more importantly, grateful for the kind of person Lee Haney was and turned out to be during our visit at his home. Those trophies are rightfully in a good place with a deserving champion!

Congratulations to Lee again for paving the way and joining our Team!

Look for Lee on MD Radio #82 Monday, October 18th at 4pm PST!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lee is a great champion.

His charisma can melt anyone away
    HSIT=HOMO SEX INTENSITY TRAINING

Finally got the opportunity to meet Lee Haney. He is a true legend of bodybuilding, and a truly nice man to talk to.

Dedicated Noob

SHAWN THE 1999 oLYMPIA THE POSING, YOUR BACK YOU WAS WEARING RED TRUNK, WHEN I TRAIN I PICTURE YOU IN THAT STAGE, AND YOUR LEGS THIS IN NOT THE RIGTH TIME MAY OR PLACE I PROMISE SHWAN I WILL NEVER ASK YOU ANYTHING IF YOU CAN ASWER THIS MUST I PUT SOMETHING UNDER MY HEELS WHEN IM SQUATING OR WHAT, PLEASE SHWAN ANSWER MY LEGS ARE NOT CUT PLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ, PLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

^^ Come on Shawn - Answer the guy. We want to hear about heals and red trunks.
    "What is patriotism but the love of the food one ate as a child?" ~ Lin Yutang.

^^Oh, Amen, and ditto!!!

MUST I PUT SOMETHING UNDER MY HEELS WHEN IM SQUATING OR WHAT
    I personally liked to perform my Squats with a 1 inch board or a 5lb plate under my heels. This stablized my heels from raising up and down as I lowered the weight down during the exercise something the above poster knows nothing about.

Check out pioneer Dave Draper and the wood block under his heels!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12