Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Hi Everyone. Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Can I recover my rounded shoulders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I recover my rounded shoulders?

Hello guys!
    I have rounded shoulders!
    I want to know - Can i recover my body and shoulders to right position?

I want to share little information:
    1) Before bodybuilding I did push-ups and I pumped my chest very well!
    2)One year and half after I started with BodyBuilding my ex-training partner noticed my HUGE front delts!
    3)I think I hurted myself in my crazy young years - crazy weight,sloppy poor form (especially bench press with rounded shoulders)...

Now i can't feel my chest during the workouts!
    I just want opinion can I recover my shoulders (and feeling in my chest as well) if i work side delts,rear delts,rhomboids and traps (whole upper back)?!

Sorry for bad English!

yeah more than likely youll be fine it may take a while so be patient just minimize your front delt and chest work go light and focus on keeping your shoulders down and back while keeping your chest the high point and work on concentrating the stretch and cotracxtion of the pecs. also spend extra time performing stretches on the anterior delts and pecs.period while you work the opposing muscle groups.

spend most of your energy on back and rear delt exercises really emphasize retracting your shoulder blades (pulling your shoulder blades toward each other. actually with time the srengthened mid/lower traps, rhomboids erectors and lats will more able you to keep the correctshoulder girdle positrion while performing most chest exercises,which will help you feel it better in the pecs one sign of poepole with a relatively weak back muscles compared to chest/front delt is their shoulders round forward or protract when the pressing or fly weight gets heavy which dstabilizes the shoulder joint and ends the set prematurely. plus your normal posture will improve dont forgetit may take a while

Comment

Thank you staticx!
      I think i must change my sleeping style,because now I sleep on my right or left side with head toward my legs!But many experts said it is wrong for people with rounded shoulders!
      So i must sleeping on my back!
      For now by the way I have serious problem to feel my chest ( I actually can't feel them in all exercises) and my shoulders looks like "/" from the side - highest point are front delts!

By the way i have one rib little "IN" and Scoliosis, But as I said before I started bodybuilding I did push-ups and I pumped my both chest very well!

Finally I want to ask:
      Can i totally remove Chest and (Pushing exercises for Upper body) complete for about 2 months till I improve my posture and my overall shoulder look!

Comment

Many powerlifters and guys that compete in Bench Only competitions have very similar problems with both rounded shoulders and front delts that dominate the other heads of the shoulder girdle.

As you are aware, you did not get like this overnight, and it will take a good bit of training and discipline on your part to correct the issue.

Before you hit the gym, some things you may want to start thinking about are keeping a good upright posture when both sitting and standing. The way you sleep won't matter as muscularture is relaxed throughout the body during times of rest and will make no diffrence to either fixing or exaserbating your problem. Your main focus outside of the gym should be keeping constant awareness of your posture.

In the gym, you do not need to completely eliminate or exclude chest and delt dominant exercises, just keep the time and effort in training them to a minimum. I would definitely encourage more rowing and pulling exercises such as rows, pulldowns, and, if you can do them without pain or fear of injury due to your scoliosis, include exercises such as hang cleans and deadlifts. Finish these routines with some rear delt work. Overall though, you really want to target the trapezius muscles in order eliminate your condition.
        You wouldn't know what fun was even if it beat the shit out of you. -Big Jimsty

Comment

Good post Jimmy Rides. The condition is called exercise induced kyphosis in case anyone cares, LOL.

NYC BIG MIKE
          Looking for the "gang of 20".

Comment

My English is not very good,but I saw this:
            "The recommended therapy consists of a variety of weighted exercises to strengthen the rotator cuff muscles and the lower traps. As incidence would have it, I've never actually been able to hit the lower traps really well, so it makes sense that those muscles would be relatively weak. In fact, it turned out any muscles that have to do with retracting the scapula are really weak on me - particularly on the left side. My favorite day in the gym is back, so I didn't miss it out of bad form or refusal to work one area. It was simply ignorance and a cookie-cutter program, I think."

by maresf16 from bb.com forum

It is crazy,but my story is exactly the same!

Comment

I found and:
              http://www.t-nation.com/article/most...nique_mistakes

It really show me right way, because you can clearly see how wrong perform back exercises can turn into font delts rounder....

Comment

Thank you!Really good post!
                I have some other question:
                "good upright posture" - must be Chest up and Shoulder Blades together?!
                I now always pull my shoulder blades together when I walk and sit!
                Sometimes I only pull shoulder blades, because it is little harder for me to push Chest Out every time!

What about Side Laterals - they must hit side delts?
                By the way I always had/have problem with hitting rear delts for some reason - very strange but it seems like I can't isolate complete them!
                Anyway Thank you for the information and I will try to do my best!
                Originally posted by Jimmy Rides View Post
                Many powerlifters and guys that compete in Bench Only competitions have very similar problems with both rounded shoulders and front delts that dominate the other heads of the shoulder girdle.

As you are aware, you did not get like this overnight, and it will take a good bit of training and discipline on your part to correct the issue.

Before you hit the gym, some things you may want to start thinking about are keeping a good upright posture when both sitting and standing. The way you sleep won't matter as muscularture is relaxed throughout the body during times of rest and will make no diffrence to either fixing or exaserbating your problem. Your main focus outside of the gym should be keeping constant awareness of your posture.

In the gym, you do not need to completely eliminate or exclude chest and delt dominant exercises, just keep the time and effort in training them to a minimum. I would definitely encourage more rowing and pulling exercises such as rows, pulldowns, and, if you can do them without pain or fear of injury due to your scoliosis, include exercises such as hang cleans and deadlifts. Finish these routines with some rear delt work. Overall though, you really want to target the trapezius muscles in order eliminate your condition.

Comment

Originally posted by NYC BIG MIKE View Post
                  Good post Jimmy Rides. The condition is called exercise induced kyphosis in case anyone cares, LOL.

NYC BIG MIKE
                  Thank you for the interest and support!

Comment

TNation had an artcile on this issue.

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1546556

Diff than in the previous post.

Jimmy Smith who has a Q&A in the Natural section here wrote it. One thing that will help you should ROW ROW ROW ROW and ROW some more Say for every press do 2 row exercises
                    "You told Harpo to beat me" - Color Purple

Comment

http://www.t-nation.com/article/body..._exercises&cr=

useful exercises, especially the rope rows. Also id devote more time to rear delt and rotator cuff training. Also stretching your chest to keep the front delts from tightening up.

Comment

Today I already done another back/biceps workout!
                        And I have some questions:
                        First About "Seated Cable Row" -
                        some Pros and Trainers - like Milos Sarcev here:
                        http://www.dailymotion.com/zzk31/vid...zk-wd-07_sport
                        They use this exercise with rounded back to hit exactly middle/lower trap area!
                        Yes I feel this exercises very well this way and I need muscles in this area, but I already have Rounded Shoulders and my body looks little like "(" - shoulders "in front" and back rounded when I'm in relax position!
                        Am I need to remove this exercise and all rounded back/shoulders exercises from my workouts?

And for Side Laterals - I feel very well one arm (uni) side laterals with my left shoulder (left side delt)...but I feel my right joint instead of side delt.Any help or suggestion?Because I'm afraid for my right side delt?!

Thanks to all MD members for their help and support!

Comment

Originally posted by darkwolfa View Post
                          Today I already done another back/biceps workout!
                          And I have some questions:
                          First About "Seated Cable Row" -
                          some Pros and Trainers - like Milos Sarcev here:
                          http://www.dailymotion.com/zzk31/vid...zk-wd-07_sport
                          They use this exercise with rounded back to hit exactly middle/lower trap area!
                          Yes I feel this exercises very well this way and I need muscles in this area, but I already have Rounded Shoulders and my body looks little like "(" - shoulders "in front" and back rounded when I'm in relax position!
                          Am I need to remove this exercise and all rounded back/shoulders exercises from my workouts?

And for Side Laterals - I feel very well one arm (uni) side laterals with my left shoulder (left side delt)...but I feel my right joint instead of side delt.Any help or suggestion?Because I'm afraid for my right side delt?!

Thanks to all MD members for their help and support!
                          To be honest DONT WATCH ALOT OF PROS FORM esp in that particular exercise. I notice MANY do it grossly wrong. You want to get the most benefit from seat cable rows so keep ya back straight and pull bringing the scapula together.

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1744957&cr=

CHeck it. this is a great article with examples on how to BEST do db rows and seated cable rows. It shows the common mistakes people make which Ive even seen pro level guys on videos do.

I'm not saying you WONT grow off doing it not perfect b4 I open that can of worms. But in this case we have a guy who has a problem with his body and using these exercises to try to CORRECT them hence imho I would benefit greatly from using the best form he can.

I had a problem with my posture being a pc guy. Hence thats why I had a vested interest in the topic. Some of the issues you have are similar as the condition is still the same as NYC MIKE mentioned.

I noticed that especially on my back exercises really helped me. I noticed a change over time.
                          "You told Harpo to beat me" - Color Purple

Comment

Thank you Geminon!
                            I want to ask - what about my right shoulder!I cleary see how my left shoulder is bigger and with more mass (side and rear delt portion(s) ) and my right shoulder is little weaker in the same parts!
                            I remember I hurted my right shoulder on Incline Smith Machine Bench Press about 5-6 times wokouts till I changed my wrong elbow position!But It hurted ONLY during the set!
                            Can this be the reason for this weak shoulder and problem with feeling in him?

Comment

Working...
                            X