Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Question on workout recovery?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Question on workout recovery?

    Now, that I'm back in the gym, it's become difficult to recover from daily workouts.
    I suspect it's a combination of a year out of the gym AND turning 63 this year ( * old man issues ).

    Some might suggest TRT, but for personal health concerns, I'm not getting on any juice now.
    I'm just looking for some practical tips and ideas on how to improve my recovery between workouts.
    Thanks, this is the best source of people I know of, for sensible , user friendly advice, that works.
    I saw a star, reached for it...and MISSED

  • #2
    EAA's essential amino acids post workout with some carbs gatorade works

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Griff11 View Post
      EAA's essential amino acids post workout with some carbs gatorade works
      Great idea. I've been considering that BUT, I was a bit fuzzy on it actually working to help recovery.
      They sell some good mixes of ess. amino acids, that mix easy now. Makes sense and I'll take your word on it.
      Thanks!
      I saw a star, reached for it...and MISSED

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Howard View Post

        Great idea. I've been considering that BUT, I was a bit fuzzy on it actually working to help recovery.
        They sell some good mixes of ess. amino acids, that mix easy now. Makes sense and I'll take your word on it.
        Thanks!
        You are very welcome

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Griff11 View Post
          EAA's essential amino acids post workout with some carbs gatorade works

          Could even up the ante, and try a good intraworkout (carb-based) shake, with EAAs added. Seems to enhance recovery quite a bit.


          -David

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by lifepulse View Post


            Could even up the ante, and try a good intraworkout (carb-based) shake, with EAAs added. Seems to enhance recovery quite a bit.


            -David
            Agreed

            Comment


            • #7
              Hot tub for sure and a nice variety of vitamins and whey protein.

              Comment


              • #8
                Sleep and rest more, eat better, reduce your training days, less frequency, volume or intensity. It's about balance, easier said than done.
                http://betionastore.es/

                Comment


                • #9
                  I used to struggle to recover from workouts and would have to wait 5 days or more, now I hit fewer set per body part, just more frequently. I kind of learned this when power lifting, I would squat, for example, 3 times a week. same effort per day, just lower volume per day.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Howard View Post
                    Now, that I'm back in the gym, it's become difficult to recover from daily workouts.
                    I suspect it's a combination of a year out of the gym AND turning 63 this year ( * old man issues ).

                    Some might suggest TRT, but for personal health concerns, I'm not getting on any juice now.
                    I'm just looking for some practical tips and ideas on how to improve my recovery between workouts.
                    Thanks, this is the best source of people I know of, for sensible , user friendly advice, that works.
                    Howard.
                    I suggest that at 62 you consider evaluating your workout volume and how many days a week you workout, reduce it.
                    Then see what the result is.



                    Last edited by Buadain; April 29, 2021, 11:09 AM.
                    My Competition Prep Journal

                    Muscular Development Forum Rules

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Sleep AND nap when you can.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by mayor of bodybuilding View Post
                        Hot tub for sure and a nice variety of vitamins and whey protein.
                        I have a nice hot tub on my deck and I'd go in it more , if you were with me
                        Bring your swimsuit or better yet, "posing thong" for your Oct 2 visit.
                        I saw a star, reached for it...and MISSED

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Thanks so much to everyone who provided a great training or nutritional tip to aid my recovery.
                          I read each 2x and reflected on the best path forward, and here goes:

                          1. I went out and bought a good Ess amino acid drink mix that had "extra branched chain AA" . I'll mix it with flavored Powerade.
                          I've already started using a Pro+ almond and cashew "milk", blender mixed with ice and a scoop of whey pro.

                          2. This past month , had me return to a GYM with real weights after a full year on my basement Bowflex.
                          Like a boy with a new toy, I couldn't get enough and did way too much , all at once.

                          Yes, I need to consider my age (62) ,cut back on my training volume and total sets per body part , etc
                          If I was 30-40 yrs younger, I'd still have been over zealous , after a year of "no gym."

                          I'm retired, and I love training in the different gyms , in my area.
                          To me, a new gym and different equipment, is like going to an amusement park.



                          Thanks again and maybe we can turn THIS thread into a "best tips" for recovery AND stubborn body parts thread.
                          Last edited by Howard; April 30, 2021, 09:17 AM.
                          I saw a star, reached for it...and MISSED

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by rroberto View Post
                            I used to struggle to recover from workouts and would have to wait 5 days or more, now I hit fewer set per body part, just more frequently. I kind of learned this when power lifting, I would squat, for example, 3 times a week. same effort per day, just lower volume per day.
                            On a serous note, I like the idea of lower volume , less total sets, higher intensity via slower rep pace , etc.
                            I saw a star, reached for it...and MISSED

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Howard View Post

                              I have a nice hot tub on my deck and I'd go in it more , if you were with me
                              Bring your swimsuit or better yet, "posing thong" for your Oct 2 visit.
                              Lots of oil for my massive pecs.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X