Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Are These Guys Natural???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beti ona
    replied
    Originally posted by lifepulse View Post
    But getting into contest shape-- eating to get into true single-digit body fat, for MOST people-- simply doesn't feel good. In fact, it typically feels like shit-- many describe it as "feeling like walking death", for days, if not weeks, on end.
    It is also true that for some people because of their fast metabolism this is not as painful as for others (where I include myself, lol).

We go back to what we have talked about in other threads, if a person does not have many hobbies, obligations or occupations, it also becomes easier to compete in bodybuilding (or runing marathons...) .

He has something to live for.

Leave a comment:

• Beti ona
    replied

Problem is, most thing that you can desire "intrinsic motivation" for, have some payoff of their own. Training, even though it is sort of painful, is still enjoyable-- on a certain level, it makes you FEEL GOOD. So does cardio. So does eating healthy, to a point.

But getting into contest shape-- eating to get into true single-digit body fat, for MOST people-- simply doesn't feel good. In fact, it typically feels like shit-- many describe it as "feeling like walking death", for days, if not weeks, on end.

It's hard to make yourself "want" that-- actually, probably impossible, unless you have legitimate underlying mental health issues-- like developing the "discipline to not eat" or "the discipline to go for days on end without sleep". While it's interesting to "see what you are capable of", physically-- for the most part, once you are fighting intrinsic biological programming for survival, you're not really "developing discipline", you're just convincing yourself to embrace insanity, for no real reason (i.e., embracing pain FOR THE SAKE OF embracing pain, JUST TO PROVE that you can embrace pain). Intentionally embracing "feeling like shit, all of the time", isn't a "discipline" thing-- it's a crazy thing.

-David
    All of that is true, but there are many bodybuilders who continue to do the same thing even after 30-40 years. The reason? The alternative is worse for them, and all that pain and suffering is preferable.

I do not need a competition to push myself, maybe it is not equal to 100%, but setting a deadline makes your butt move and not be in "maintenance".

For years I searched for records in the 3 lifts, I have been to a couple of meetings and it is completely different, it is much better when you are in a meet, but the weeks before, all the effort in training, is exactly the same.

That said, as one gets older, the idea of wanting to lift heavy loads is less appealing because the pains are increasing, and one focuses more on aesthetics and keeping fat levels low. That's my plan, not to be a fucking fat man.

Leave a comment:

• Ron Harris
    replied
    I have been dieting (sort of) and the condition I am in now is about 10 pounds over what I would probably be on stage with the glutes in. But I know from experience what it takes to get those last 1-10 pounds off. I would have to suffer, starve, be exhausted and cranky much of the time, and my sleep would be for shit. No way would I put myself (and those around me) through that unless I was competing in. And even then, I ask myself, why bother? I see some Masters guys turning Pro who I am confident I would beat - but that was in THAT show. How do I know I wouldn't show up and my class would have Ronnie, Dorian, Phil, and Ramy in it? I'm joking, but only partly. Showing up with striated glutes and still placing 14th in an Over 40 Heavyweight class of 31 men left a sour taste in my mouth 8 years ago. I would have to get very, very lucky to turn Pro, and even then it would purely be to add 'IFBB Pro' to my name on IG. I am well aware I would be last callout in any 212 show.

Leave a comment:

• Griff11
    replied

Problem is, most thing that you can desire "intrinsic motivation" for, have some payoff of their own. Training, even though it is sort of painful, is still enjoyable-- on a certain level, it makes you FEEL GOOD. So does cardio. So does eating healthy, to a point.

It's hard to make yourself "want" that-- actually, probably impossible, unless you have legitimate underlying mental health issues-- like developing the "discipline to not eat" or "the discipline to go for days on end without sleep". While it's interesting to "see what you are capable of", physically-- for the most part, once you are fighting intrinsic biological programming for survival, you're not really "developing discipline", you're just convincing yourself to embrace insanity, for no real reason (i.e., embracing pain FOR THE SAKE OF embracing pain, JUST TO PROVE that you can embrace pain). Intentionally embracing "feeling like shit, all of the time", isn't a "discipline" thing-- it's a crazy thing.

-David
    People greatly underestimate their bodyfat levels. Unless you've been in legit contest shape you don't really know. When it hurts to sit or you know you are close. Until then it's hypothetical. Another thing being contest ready is far from healthy and how long can you really hold it? The lack of a contest would stop any sane individual from actually reaching it
    ​​

Leave a comment:

• Howard
    replied

-David
    Great post ( as usual ).

You summed it up quite well.
    I'd add, that once you've "proven it" by getting in contest shape, you lose that desire WITHOUT another contest to go for.

Training , eating properly and getting in "decent" condition is for health and personal reasons.
    Going the extra mile to look totally ripped with 10 coats of pro-tan, is all about bragging rights and beating others.

Leave a comment:

• lifepulse
    replied
    Originally posted by Beti ona View Post
    It is about developing that intrinsic motivation, in the same way that you train and do cardio without a competition in mind, you only need to add a contest diet. Of course, this is the hardest part of the sport.

-David

Leave a comment:

• Howard
    replied
    You must compete with yourself, it is not necessary to go on stage, although the idea of doing so increases your discipline and dedication.
    Working out , with no contest ,is like playing with your self.
    It gets ya thru the night, but it's more fun pumping , with others involved .

Leave a comment:

• Howard
    replied
    It is about developing that intrinsic motivation, in the same way that you train and do cardio without a competition in mind, you only need to add a contest diet. Of course, this is the hardest part of the sport.

Compliments are great, but you can't depend on what ignorant people can say to you. Other people might tell you that it looks like a thin swimmer or a mass of potatoes.
    I'm 62 and last competed 25 years ago.
    At this point, I'd take a physique compliment from a blind retard.

Leave a comment:

• Beti ona
    replied

Compliments are great, but you can't depend on what ignorant people can say to you. Other people might tell you that it looks like a thin swimmer or a mass of potatoes.

Leave a comment:

• Howard
    replied
    You must compete with yourself, it is not necessary to go on stage, although the idea of doing so increases your discipline and dedication.
    Maybe I'm odd, but I could never get the motivation to get in my best shape, without a contest to go for?
    Now, I'm older and content but I still love pumping in the gym.

I was in the grocery store, right after doing chest and tris yesterday, wearing a form fitting black t-shirt.
    A guy working there told me I looked like the incredible hulk. He asked me if I worked out at the nearby gym.

I thanked him for the compliment and confirmed I had just come from that gym.

Maybe he was just being nice , but at my age, I'll take it and smile .

Leave a comment:

• Beti ona
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Howard
    replied

It's about trying your best, not letting that window close.
    True 'dat, but at some point ,your best will be a few % less as the years go by.
    Or, you simply lose the desire to compete .
    For me, that was at age 37, and I felt something emotionally ( NOT physically) "break" deep inside.
    After 18 years of competing, I KNEW I couldn't go thru the contest prep process again.

Others , like big Ben ( here) , still have a passion to compete and embrace the contest prep ordeal.

The motivation to compete is there or it isn't .

Leave a comment:

• Beti ona
    replied
    Originally posted by Howard View Post

On a serious note, afew years after I did my last show, I considering a "comeback" to the stage.
    A former national competitor , give me some sensible advice on this issue:

" Howard, you spent many years doing your thing on a BB stage. Granted ,I did it better, but that's not the issue here .
    We'd like to think we could come back and be the same or better. But , that's just wishful thinking bro.
    You hung 'em up for the same reason I did...we KNEW that window was closing."
    It's about trying your best, not letting that window close.

Leave a comment:

• triceps
    replied

Have you ever dieted to get ripped?
    Yes of course, low carb diet gets me ripped

Leave a comment:

• Howard
    replied

As much as my lazy ass and my appetite have allowed me to get there, but I will still try more times
    On a serious note, afew years after I did my last show, I considering a "comeback" to the stage.
    A former national competitor , give me some sensible advice on this issue:

" Howard, you spent many years doing your thing on a BB stage. Granted ,I did it better, but that's not the issue here .
    We'd like to think we could come back and be the same or better. But , that's just wishful thinking bro.
    You hung 'em up for the same reason I did...we KNEW that window was closing."

Leave a comment:

Working...
X