Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Is Creatine still a thing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Creatine still a thing?

Is creatine still an important part of your supplementation? Was it ever?
    I stop me....no one else does.

My God, I remember the first time I used creatine.

Prolab used to sell a 300gm tub with another 300gm tub attached to it for free.

Was around 1995/1996, my training was crazy on it. Felt like I had springs inside my shoulder when I pressed. Crazy!
    MD Global Muscle Radio ep.40-https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-MIKWx8sAcw&t=5319s

Comment

Originally posted by Giles View Post
      My God, I remember the first time I used creatine.

Prolab used to sell a 300gm tub with another 300gm tub attached to it for free.

Was around 1995/1996, my training was crazy on it. Felt like I had springs inside my shoulder when I pressed. Crazy!
      Yeah, used to use it all the time back in the mid-late 90’s and early 2000’s. Haven’t used it since, but have been thinking about it. Now that I’m older, I seem to crap out so much quicker during my workouts. Think I’m gonna give it another try, to see if it’ll help me train a little more intense, before muscle fatigue sets in.

Comment

Like most hardcore meathedz I used creatine powder, when it came out .
        It gave me an extra boost, working out.

Creatine is a natural waste product for any muscle contraction in the human body.
        It's used with ATP to generate energy for any muscle contractions.

The ATP has three phosphates and muscular energy is obtained when one of the phosphate bonds cleaves off the main molecule.
        The basic chemistry here is that breaking bonds releases stored energy holding the molecule together.

Then it becomes ADP with 2 phosphates and needs to be filter out via the kidneys with other waste products.
        The creatine replaces the 3rd phosphate back on the molecule to help with additional energy production in the muscle.

The problem is that excess creatine is rough on the kidneys when it's removed with fluid wastes ( urine).
        In a full blood workup, high creatine levels are an indicator of potential kidney damage.

At my age and working out for my own "shits and giggles" the kidney risks aren't worth using it ( for me).
        I saw a star, reached for it...and MISSED

Comment

The original granular, sandy, creatine mono in the 90's worked for me, I got great pumps from it. I could really feel a difference and that the supplement was working. I still use creatine, but I don't get those same pumps from the micronized creatine mono sold today.

Comment

I knew Debbie Downer…aka Howard would show up. Yes, agreed to a point, creatine supplementation is not recommended for those with Kidney disease, Liver disease and Diabetes. But there’s a ton of things those individuals, with those health conditions need to avoid. You posted an article written by a registered dietitian, when there’s actual legit articles, written by actual Medical professionals….Cleveland Clinic…Mayo Clinic….shit, even webMD.
            Some great health benefits from supplementing creatine for us older folks. Also, a lot of studies being done with using creatine to help those at risk for heart failure. That all being said, anyone that partakes in this industry, should be getting blood work done every 6 months, so that they’re always aware of how their organs are doing. If you’re not, shame on you.

Comment

Originally posted by nodoughnut View Post
              The original granular, sandy, creatine mono in the 90's worked for me, I got great pumps from it. I could really feel a difference and that the supplement was working. I still use creatine, but I don't get those same pumps from the micronized creatine mono sold today.
              At the risk of sounding nerdy I can offer a science based reason WHY the larger, granular creatine worked better .
              The larger flakes could easily have more active creatine . That would result in a higher % of the active creatine molecule to absorb in the fluid.

The mistake many made was micro-crystals would dissolve better in liquid then the granular ones.
              Micro does dissolve quicker BUT having it dissolve is only part of the effectiveness via available dose.

For a variety of reasons, while the micronized creatine dissolved quicker, it didn't get more creatine into the blood stream.
              I suspect this is due the molecular structure of creatine mono-hydrate and how it gets absorbed and used by muscle tissue.
              I'm not 100% sure of that last part but too many credible people claim the original granular worked better then micro.
              Last edited by Howard; July 7, 2021, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DerekRJohnson View Post
                I knew Debbie Downer…aka Howard would show up. Yes, agreed to a point, creatine supplementation is not recommended for those with Kidney disease, Liver disease and Diabetes. But there’s a ton of things those individuals, with those health conditions need to avoid. You posted an article written by a registered dietitian, when there’s actual legit articles, written by actual Medical professionals….Cleveland Clinic…Mayo Clinic….shit, even webMD.
                Some great health benefits from supplementing creatine for us older folks. Also, a lot of studies being done with using creatine to help those at risk for heart failure. That all being said, anyone that partakes in this industry, should be getting blood work done every 6 months, so that they’re always aware of how their organs are doing. If you’re not, shame on you.
                I've downed my share of Little Debbie Snack Cakes. Would that make me a "Debbie Downer"?

I understand ,nobody wants some old douchebag to ruin their fun.
                BUT, people should be aware of some basic health risks.

LOL, we both know, I'm no great expert , so it's fine to disagree with me.

Believe it or not, I'm rather libertarian in my core.
                I feel strongly that adults should be free to engage in whatever drugs or substances they desire.
                However, don't come crying if things go bad , after knowing the risks.

An adult should be free to take any risks they want. Just be willing to accept consequences if things don't go well.

If you grab a pretty girl by the tits , don't be mad if she bitch slaps you .

Last edited by Howard; July 7, 2021, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Agreed Howie, people should be aware, but that knowledge should be gained by more recent studies, by actual medical professionals, not through and article written by someone who basically works for Jenny Craig. Per the Cleveland Clinic, there is no proof that Creatine supplementation has any negative impact on those with healthy kidneys. One thing you and I agree on is, people should be aware of any potential side effects…but from legitimate sources. And again I’ll say, those who push their bodies like some of us do, should stay consistent with their blood work.

Comment

So let’s get back to the actual thread title.

Comment

Hey DA, I just wanted to add, I've had a long history of being a "debbie downer".

I'm upbeat and try to keep a good sense of humor. But I was the guy at the party or club that never drank booze.
                      I offered to drive drunk bros home , plenty of times and most ignored me.
                      Sometimes, they'd get busted from drunk driving or get in an accident, etc

The next time I saw 'em in the gym they'd bitch about some asshole cop who busted 'em .
                      I'd remind them I was willing to drive 'em home so they could have AVOIDED the trouble.
                      The typical response was ; " Fuk that shit, only fags lets someone drive 'em home "

I learned early on, you can't help some people in certain situations.

Comment

Tbh I never liked creatine, it made me bloated in the face and whatever extra strength I got from it was negligent

Comment

Still using the plain Creatine Monohydrate.
                          It seem to be beneficial for improving cognitive function in elders too.
                          A forum without humor is like a gym without the iron.
                          mewe.com/i/rubenmepschen

Comment

Yeah, used to use it all the time back in the mid-late 90’s and early 2000’s. Haven’t used it since, but have been thinking about it. Now that I’m older, I seem to crap out so much quicker during my workouts. Think I’m gonna give it another try, to see if it’ll help me train a little more intense, before muscle fatigue sets in.
                            Good ol’ monohydrate always worked a treat for me mate.

As soon I’m out of my ten day isolation (in 3 days) and I’m back training I think I’ll start some creatine again!

5gm a day in water, to wash down my 50mg dbol! That’ll get the beef back on my skinny ass. Quickity quick.
                            MD Global Muscle Radio ep.40-https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-MIKWx8sAcw&t=5319s

Comment

Agreed Howie, people should be aware, but that knowledge should be gained by more recent studies, by actual medical professionals, not through and article written by someone who basically works for Jenny Craig. Per the Cleveland Clinic, there is no proof that Creatine supplementation has any negative impact on those with healthy kidneys. One thing you and I agree on is, people should be aware of any potential side effects…but from legitimate sources. And again I’ll say, those who push their bodies like some of us do, should stay consistent with their blood work.
                              You just pointed out a major inconsistency when talking about any drugs or supps on a BB forum.

You REQUIRE the highest level of research backed studies when anyone bring up RISK factors.
                              Even those level of studies can be met with doubt and ridicule on any bodybuilder forum.

However, any bro who gets a good pump on "whatever" is considered reliable , solid info ?
                              If his views support the group ideals, a critical look at the "science" doesn't matter as much . Hmmmmmmm

Comment

Working...
                              X