Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Injury recovery as we age

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Injury recovery as we age

Last year, there was a thread going where a few of us discussed recent injuries and surgeries. What happened to you recently and did you need it surgically repaired? Did you decide against surgery and wished you would’ve had it done? Did you have surgery and wished you wouldn’t had?
    I stop me....no one else does.

April 2020, me and my oldest son were training at my house (time when the gyms were closed due to Covid). We just finished back and had moved onto biceps. We were doing dumbbell curls and I was on my 3rd set using 50’s. Felt a pop in my right bicep and I knew right away. We could see that my bicep had dropped downward towards my elbow bend. Also due to Covid, it wasn’t easy to get in for an Ultrasound. Ultrasound of course confirmed what I already knew, plus further damage and from there, they sent me for a MRI, as the surgeon I decided to use wanted more information/imageries.

MRI had shown that the proximal bicep tendon wasn’t actually torn, but it was what’s called subluxed. This was due to my subscapularis tendon tearing, which allowed the proximal bicep tendon to slip out of the groove it sits in. Also, the MRI had shown that my supraspinatus and labrum were both torn. I believe the supraspinatus tear happened a couple weeks earlier, when we were using my daughters swing set to do pull-ups. Felt a real small pop in my rear delt area. A day later, there was quite a bit of bruising on my rear delt.

During the bicep tendon subluxation, it had gotten a flat spot squished in it, so it couldn’t just be slipped back into its groove during the subscapularis repair. The tendon had to be cut and reinstalled into my humerus bone. All other tendons were repaired as well. During the time he had me open, he grinded away some spurs and also had to remove a piece of cartilage the was floating around. After a lot of physical therapy, the surgeon had released me back to training in October. A little more than 3 months after the surgery. Only thing he had asked me, was to avoid pull-ups and preacher curls for another 6-8 weeks.

Comment

This is a picture of my rear delt area, a day or two after I felt the pop while doing pull-ups. It might be a little hard to understand what you’re looking at, as I reached my arm across my chest and reached my phone around my back to take the picture.
      Attached Files

Comment

00D302FF-8CC2-4522-9740-6106C574F9B4.jpeg Here’s a picture of my bicep swelling the night I injured it. It seriously looked like I had a tumor.
        Last edited by DerekRJohnson; July 11, 2021, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Bruising after the swelling went down.

Comment

So now on to the age part. I had turned 49 a couple days before my surgery. This was not the first time I had to have surgical repairs done. In 2001, I was wrestling with a buddy of mine…on top of a church roof that we were repairing, and felt a pop. This was my right arm as well, but that time it was the distal bicep tendon (at the elbow bend). Then in 2012, while benching 405, I tore my left pectoral. After both surgeries, I was back training in 3 months and back to full strength within 6 months of surgery.

Not the same case this time…nowhere close. Here it is a year after my surgery and I’m still some what recovering.

Comment

I tore the meniscus in my knee 3 months ago kicking a ball around with my kids. It’s not a major tear but has really destabilise the knee.

I'm doing physio to see if I can recover with the option of surgery in the background.

I have done very little training through COVID and am now in the gym lifting for rehab.

The recovery has been very slow, there was a lot of atrophy in the lower quad. The older you get the harder it is to recover, I'm 49.

I will give it another month and if it’s not right I will go for surgery.

I got an MRI, I will throw up an image tomorrow.

Comment

Recurring inflammation of the left Posterior Deltoid, due to yrs of hard labor.
                I had multiple injections but that just didn't do the job.
                I learned to work around it. It comes and goes.
                A forum without humor is like a gym without the iron.
                mewe.com/i/rubenmepschen

Comment

Originally posted by DerekRJohnson View Post
                  Not the same case this time…nowhere close. Here it is a year after my surgery and I’m still some what recovering.
                  50 pounds, how many reps were you aiming for?

Preacher curls appear to be a harmful exercise according to many anecdotal cases.

How do you plan your workouts from now on?

Injuries suck, and even though you're stronger than that, you don't want to have them.
                  http://betionastore.es/

Comment

Originally posted by Beti ona View Post

50 pounds, how many reps were you aiming for?

Preacher curls appear to be a harmful exercise according to many anecdotal cases.

How do you plan your workouts from now on?

Injuries suck, and even though you're stronger than that, you don't want to have them.
                    Morning Beti. 50lbs was normally around 10-12 reps for me. I would use the 55-60lb dumbbells on my last set for about 8-10 reps. The injury happened on my 7th rep. I don’t go above the 45’s now. As far as planning my workouts, I do every exercise now. The only exercises that I’m still struggling with is shoulder presses and rear delts. No matter what I’m doing, my rear delt area always seems to bother me a bit. When I’m benching, I have a slight discomfort in my rear delt during the negative. When I’m doing any back movement, there’s a little discomfort there. Same when I’m squatting, holding onto the bar bothers my rear delt a little.

It’s really strange, I might be able to a certain movement one week, with little to no discomfort, but then the next week, that same movement bothers my shoulder too much. Right now I’m hitting all body parts every 5 days.

Comment

April 2020, me and my oldest son were training at my house (time when the gyms were closed due to Covid). We just finished back and had moved onto biceps. We were doing dumbbell curls and I was on my 3rd set using 50’s. Felt a pop in my right bicep and I knew right away. We could see that my bicep had dropped downward towards my elbow bend. Also due to Covid, it wasn’t easy to get in for an Ultrasound. Ultrasound of course confirmed what I already knew, plus further damage and from there, they sent me for a MRI, as the surgeon I decided to use wanted more information/imageries.

MRI had shown that the proximal bicep tendon wasn’t actually torn, but it was what’s called subluxed. This was due to my subscapularis tendon tearing, which allowed the proximal bicep tendon to slip out of the groove it sits in. Also, the MRI had shown that my supraspinatus and labrum were both torn. I believe the supraspinatus tear happened a couple weeks earlier, when we were using my daughters swing set to do pull-ups. Felt a real small pop in my rear delt area. A day later, there was quite a bit of bruising on my rear delt.

During the bicep tendon subluxation, it had gotten a flat spot squished in it, so it couldn’t just be slipped back into its groove during the subscapularis repair. The tendon had to be cut and reinstalled into my humerus bone. All other tendons were repaired as well. During the time he had me open, he grinded away some spurs and also had to remove a piece of cartilage the was floating around. After a lot of physical therapy, the surgeon had released me back to training in October. A little more than 3 months after the surgery. Only thing he had asked me, was to avoid pull-ups and preacher curls for another 6-8 weeks.
                      Real story - I was doing pull ups on my daughters swing set and the cross bar broke off.
                      My bicep was impaled by a support bar and my daughter cried for days over daddy breaking her swing.

On a serious note, that's some serious shit and it's good you got surgery that worked.

FYI, stick with pushing your daughter on the swing going forward.
                      I saw a star, reached for it...and MISSED

Comment

Originally posted by Squat Junkie View Post
                        Recurring inflammation of the left Posterior Deltoid, due to yrs of hard labor.
                        I had multiple injections but that just didn't do the job.
                        I learned to work around it. It comes and goes.
                        I can relate to that. Ended up with osteo-arthritis ( bone on bone) in the right shoulder joint.

The only credible permanent fix appears to be a complete shoulder joint replacement.
                        2 docs advised me to live with it, if I wasn't in pain with normal activity.

I work around it in the gym, but can't do any more heavy barbell presses of any movement.
                        Hmm, I can do smith machine inclines with little problems, but barbell inclines are a no go now.

I've tried all the basic rubs and analgesic lotions for joints ( BenGay, Icy Hot, Aspercreme etc) with little impact.
                        I've also tried Joint flex supps with glucose chrondrotin without much luck.

I welcome any suggestion from the forum members on shoulder joint/ arthritis relief.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Beat View Post
                          I tore the meniscus in my knee 3 months ago kicking a ball around with my kids. It’s not a major tear but has really destabilise the knee.

I'm doing physio to see if I can recover with the option of surgery in the background.

I have done very little training through COVID and am now in the gym lifting for rehab.

The recovery has been very slow, there was a lot of atrophy in the lower quad. The older you get the harder it is to recover, I'm 49.

I will give it another month and if it’s not right I will go for surgery.

I got an MRI, I will throw up an image tomorrow.

You're 100% right about age vs recovery time for those type of injuries.
                          Over 40 years ago, I had small tear in my medial meniscus in my left knee during USMC boot camp.
                          I was given 3 days of "light duty" where I didn't need to practice drill or do PT ( group exercise).

I also wrapped the knee and took some muscle relaxers.
                          After 3 days I went back to the sick bay doc, and the small tear was "healed" enough to continue training.

Back in 2012 , at age 53, I had a complete tear of my R achilles tendon.
                          Ok, it was a complete tear of the entire tendon and I needed surgery to reattach it.

The doc told me , the post surgery recovery time was LONGER for a 53 yr old, then a 23 year old .
                          I needed a couple more weeks of physio and an extra month in the " boot" before I could walk unaided.

Comment

Originally posted by Howard View Post

Real story - I was doing pull ups on my daughters swing set and the cross bar broke off.
                            My bicep was impaled by a support bar and my daughter cried for days over daddy breaking her swing.

On a serious note, that's some serious shit and it's good you got surgery that worked.

FYI, stick with pushing your daughter on the swing going forward.
                            Definitely could’ve used this advice early April last year.

Comment

So now on to the age part. I had turned 49 a couple days before my surgery. This was not the first time I had to have surgical repairs done. In 2001, I was wrestling with a buddy of mine…on top of a church roof that we were repairing, and felt a pop. This was my right arm as well, but that time it was the distal bicep tendon (at the elbow bend). Then in 2012, while benching 405, I tore my left pectoral. After both surgeries, I was back training in 3 months and back to full strength within 6 months of surgery.

Why were you wrestling on a church roof?
                              Was it on the set of a Batman remake , as you fought the arch enemy of Gotham City?

Comment

Working...
                              X