Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Injury recovery as we age

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Howard View Post

Why were you wrestling on a church roof?
    Was it on the set of a Batman remake , as you fought the arch enemy of Gotham City?
    Lol. We were both wrestlers in school and we were very competitive with each other. A lot of challenges between us were always accepted.
    I stop me....no one else does.

Comment

Originally posted by Howard View Post

I can relate to that. Ended up with osteo-arthritis ( bone on bone) in the right shoulder joint.
      Oh-My-God!
      A forum without humor is like a gym without the iron.
      mewe.com/i/rubenmepschen

Comment

Originally posted by DerekRJohnson View Post

Morning Beti. 50lbs was normally around 10-12 reps for me. I would use the 55-60lb dumbbells on my last set for about 8-10 reps. The injury happened on my 7th rep. I don’t go above the 45’s now. As far as planning my workouts, I do every exercise now. The only exercises that I’m still struggling with is shoulder presses and rear delts. No matter what I’m doing, my rear delt area always seems to bother me a bit. When I’m benching, I have a slight discomfort in my rear delt during the negative. When I’m doing any back movement, there’s a little discomfort there. Same when I’m squatting, holding onto the bar bothers my rear delt a little.

It’s really strange, I might be able to a certain movement one week, with little to no discomfort, but then the next week, that same movement bothers my shoulder too much. Right now I’m hitting all body parts every 5 days.
        Hey bro, this all contradicts the wisdom idea that high reps are less dangerous. Do you agree that heavy training is more dangerous? Or is it just a matter of bad luck or chance?

Is the shoulder injury related to the broken biceps?

Many people have mobility problems and stop doing back squats, have you considered getting a bar that makes it easier to squat? Belt squat is amazing in my book.
        http://betionastore.es/

Comment

Originally posted by Beti ona View Post

Hey bro, this all contradicts the wisdom idea that high reps are less dangerous. Do you agree that heavy training is more dangerous? Or is it just a matter of bad luck or chance?

Is the shoulder injury related to the broken biceps?

Many people have mobility problems and stop doing back squats, have you considered getting a bar that makes it easier to squat? Belt squat is amazing in my book.
          I totally agree that heavy training is more dangerous. I’ve tried the more rep route through my 30+ years of training and heavier training has always been what it took for me to gain mass and nowadays, keep the mass. I never been one to go below 8 reps though Beti. Also, I’ve always been really strong. Even off cycle, I’ve always been able to move a lot of weight.
          When it comes to squatting, regular bar squats have always worked best for me. With last years injury, it just makes it a little difficult for me to comfortably reach back to hold onto the bar, but I just push through it.
          The bicep injury is actually due to the shoulder injury. It’s called subluxation. During the bicep curl, my subscapularis tore, which allowed my proximal bicep tendon to slip out of the groove it sits in, up by the shoulder. When it slipped out, the bicep tendon ended up getting damaged, so the surgeon had to cut it and reattach it to the bone. My subscapularis was anchored back together, as well as my supraspinatus. Before the injury, I had a nagging shoulder pain going on for about a year. Surgeon said that it was most likely partially torn over time and just ended up finally given away during that workout.

Comment

I totally agree that heavy training is more dangerous. I’ve tried the more rep route through my 30+ years of training and heavier training has always been what it took for me to gain mass and nowadays, keep the mass. I never been one to go below 8 reps though Beti. Also, I’ve always been really strong. Even off cycle, I’ve always been able to move a lot of weight.
            When it comes to squatting, regular bar squats have always worked best for me. With last years injury, it just makes it a little difficult for me to comfortably reach back to hold onto the bar, but I just push through it.
            The bicep injury is actually due to the shoulder injury. It’s called subluxation. During the bicep curl, my subscapularis tore, which allowed my proximal bicep tendon to slip out of the groove it sits in, up by the shoulder. When it slipped out, the bicep tendon ended up getting damaged, so the surgeon had to cut it and reattach it to the bone. My subscapularis was anchored back together, as well as my supraspinatus. Before the injury, I had a nagging shoulder pain going on for about a year. Surgeon said that it was most likely partially torn over time and just ended up finally given away during that workout.
            Hey, I hope you are recovering and on your way to being strong again.

I like to train heavy and I get some aches and pains, but the funny thing is that when I increase the volume (although I always maintain a first movement of 8 reps and heavy weight), the sets and reps, I use cable and ... I get more injuries. I think it is due to the repetition of movements that causes tenditis.
            http://betionastore.es/

Comment

00D302FF-8CC2-4522-9740-6106C574F9B4.jpeg Here’s a picture of my bicep swelling the night I injured it. It seriously looked like I had a tumor.
              Looks like you could have been on that Dr. Pimple Popper show. Are you forced to train lighter now?
              Your Majesty

Comment

Originally posted by Beti ona View Post

Hey, I hope you are recovering and on your way to being strong again.

I like to train heavy and I get some aches and pains, but the funny thing is that when I increase the volume (although I always maintain a first movement of 8 reps and heavy weight), the sets and reps, I use cable and ... I get more injuries. I think it is due to the repetition of movements that causes tenditis.
                Hey Beti. Getting a little stronger each month. It’s been a lot slower than I thought it would have, but at least it’s moving in a positive direction.

Comment

Originally posted by King Shizzo View Post

Looks like you could have been on that Dr. Pimple Popper show. Are you forced to train lighter now?
                  For the most part, I’m able to train pretty heavy for an old man. I do have some movements that I don’t think will ever get back to normal though. I can’t curl as much as I did before the injury. I can’t shoulder press as much, but front raises and side lateral raises aren’t an issue. Rear delts are a little uncomfortable, as I’m still having some issues in that rear delt/upper tricep/upper lat area. I can train about normal with back, but the rear delt area suffers for a couple days afterwards.

Comment

Aged 56/57
                    on trt

Chest
                    Higher reps on inc db press - Very concerned about pec/delt injury potential so no major heavy shit now - Just did 20 reps this week on inc db press with 100s
                    Shoulders
                    Pre ex with bent over, sade and front raise followed by very slow rep shoulder press
                    Legs
                    Varies but try and get pb in leg press with 15-20 rep range or 40-50 rep range. Then it's 2 ham exercises and 1/2 quad
                    Calfs
                    Heavy day / light day
                    Biceps triceps - couldn't give a shit about weight in either of these

Back
                    Bent over rows is the ONLY exercise I can still go heavy in
                    340 x 11 today but usually do 15+ with 315
                    Then it's threee more exercises depending on what is available

Touch wood - no major injuries but a zillion niggles

Always do about 4/5 warm ups on a lot of exercises

Always use Kwan Loong Oil before every workout
                    *Brotherhood of iron *

Comment

One thing is for sure, the older you get the longer it takes to recover.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeUK View Post
                        Aged 56/57
                        on trt

Chest
                        Higher reps on inc db press - Very concerned about pec/delt injury potential so no major heavy shit now - Just did 20 reps this week on inc db press with 100s
                        Shoulders
                        Pre ex with bent over, sade and front raise followed by very slow rep shoulder press
                        Legs
                        Varies but try and get pb in leg press with 15-20 rep range or 40-50 rep range. Then it's 2 ham exercises and 1/2 quad
                        Calfs
                        Heavy day / light day
                        Biceps triceps - couldn't give a shit about weight in either of these

Back
                        Bent over rows is the ONLY exercise I can still go heavy in
                        340 x 11 today but usually do 15+ with 315
                        Then it's threee more exercises depending on what is available

Touch wood - no major injuries but a zillion niggles

Always do about 4/5 warm ups on a lot of exercises

Always use Kwan Loong Oil before every workout
                        I googled Kwan Loong Oil. It's banned in Canada so you know it works

Comment

Originally posted by Griff11 View Post

Just make sure to not have any on your hands before you take a pee.
                          *Brotherhood of iron *

Comment

I shall heed that warning

Comment

Originally posted by Griff11 View Post

Sounds like some Chinese dong grow long potion LOL...which is also banned in Canada.
                              I saw a star, reached for it...and MISSED

Comment

Huh? You gotta be kidding. I figured you'd be good to go all night if you lathered your schlong with that stuff.
                                I saw a star, reached for it...and MISSED

Comment

Working...
                                X