Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

The psychology of bodybuilding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The psychology of bodybuilding

Why do we all get started in this sport? Is it the belief that if we do not look like a jay cutler or phil heath nobody would like us or girls would not pay attention to us if we have legs like platz or arms like roelly does that really change peoples opion of us?

It's hard to really know, but it's probably a mix of things
    1. If you have an obsessive personality it is perfect
    2. Nomatter what people say, a trained physique is more attractive to the opposite sex
    3. Hierarchy - After 3 mths training you look better and are stronger than 99% of untrained men
    4. Effort is usually rewarded
    5. Social - we are all in this strange world together
    6. Got me away from destrucive aspects of my personality
    *Brotherhood of iron *

Comment

Footnote to #4 George...

Not only rewarded, but respected. This for me was the number 1 reason I love this sport so much.

Too many people think when they join a gym for the first time that they will feel foolish, out of place, that they will look weak using light weight or shaky form.

The reality is that to the real workers, sweaters, and iron eaters, that doesnt matter. It is the effort that garners the respect. People seeing you pour everything you have into something relentlessly and religiously.

The other thing I would offer is the way people treat you after you have begun to develop your physique. I see this as equal parts external and internal. Externally, people will show more admiration, recognition, and accomodation to a built person. At the same time, internally we feel better, more confident, and more capable that we carry ourselves differently in day to day life.

For me, these things are the reason I started training as 98lb 14 year old. Now as a 210lb 49 year old I am so very thankful that I picked up that magazine and those weights all those years ago.

This is a good thread and I'm sure there will be some great insight from so many here.

Comment

At age 12 I saw Arnold vs Sergio on ABC's Wide World of Sports in the 1970 IFBB Mr World.
        Arnold won a close one , but I felt Sergio was better. Regardless of who won, I thought bodybuilders looked amazing.

Not sure, why exactly, but I loved pumping in the gym and eating to get bigger and more muscular.
        For me, the end all goal was competing in BB contests .

I hung up the trunks 25 years ago, but to this day, I love the BB lifestyle and watching bodybuilders compete.

I can't really say WHY bodybuilding has such appeal to me, but, it always did.
        For me it all comes down to the lifestyle and contests.
        I saw a star, reached for it...and MISSED

Comment

Chicks dig the mpd look

Comment

I was 90llbs and had no direction in life. A bodybuilding Mike took me under his wing for an entire summers 1984 and I fell in love with improving my body and lifting my spirits! I ended up doing a few shows and learned how powerful yiur mind is! To this day the trip to the gym is very special me. . . I am an extreme person and body was a perfect fit.

Comment

It's personal for each person, for me I was fascinated by the physique of the incredible hulk (Ferrigno) that at the early age of 3 I made the decision that I wanted to be like that when I grow up. But I bodybuild the natural way because I don't wanna deal with health issues or roid rage

Comment

Originally posted by triceps View Post
                It's personal for each person, for me I was fascinated by the physique of the incredible hulk (Ferrigno) that at the early age of 3 I made the decision that I wanted to be like that when I grow up. But I bodybuild the natural way because I don't wanna deal with health issues or roid rage
                Ugh, you’re NATURALLLL???? NooooOOooooooo. Say it isn’t sooooooo.
                MD Global Muscle Radio ep.40-https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-MIKWx8sAcw&t=5319s

Comment

Originally posted by mayor of bodybuilding View Post
                  I was 90llbs and had no direction in life. A bodybuilding Mike took me under his wing for an entire summers 1984 and I fell in love with improving my body and lifting my spirits! I ended up doing a few shows and learned how powerful yiur mind is! To this day the trip to the gym is very special me. . . I am an extreme person and body was a perfect fit.
                  *back story - It was the summer of 1984 . I was a confused young male.Bored and looking for something new, I wandered into the YMCA.
                  A large muscular man named Mike started chatting me up and invited me to take a sauna with him. I was hesitant but his will was too strong.

This experience revealed my life purpose and I've been a dedicated ,pro stalking schmoe since then.

Comment

The Hulk series was one of my favorites and surely the first time I was exposed to the power of big muscles. But during my childhood I had more passion for martial arts fighters like Van Damme than for muscular superheroes. Fighting well seemed like a better idea than having big muscles when you want to kick butt, and as a skinny small little kid, I wanted to kick.

But when I was little I did not like to train karate (my neighbor was a teacher and a black belt) so I did not become a karate fighter, judo or something similar.

Then I reached adolescence and started going out to some party places, so I suppose that to get girls I wanted to have bigger muscles and I started training. But I quickly understood that it would not give me the power to get girls unless I developed other skills, but it would rise in status in front of other men, and that seemed to like my ego more.

Luckily this stage did not last long and my ideal of bodybuilding moved towards the physiques of the pro by watching some DVDs of training and competitions, that was the goal of training and dieting, to be an IFFBB pro.

After 20 years, all the illusions and fantasies pass and fade, only the time you experience in training remains and how good it makes you feel inside and out, in addition to the daily routine, discipline.... I like to eat at the same hours and I can't boring of the simple recipes I make, lol
                    http://betionastore.es/

Comment

Originally posted by Beti ona View Post
                      The Hulk series was one of my favorites and surely the first time I was exposed to the power of big muscles. But during my childhood I had more passion for martial arts fighters like Van Damme than for muscular superheroes. Fighting well seemed like a better idea than having big muscles when you want to kick butt, and as a skinny small little kid, I wanted to kick.

But when I was little I did not like to train karate (my neighbor was a teacher and a black belt) so I did not become a karate fighter, judo or something similar.

Then I reached adolescence and started going out to some party places, so I suppose that to get girls I wanted to have bigger muscles and I started training. But I quickly understood that it would not give me the power to get girls unless I developed other skills, but it would rise in status in front of other men, and that seemed to like my ego more.

Luckily this stage did not last long and my ideal of bodybuilding moved towards the physiques of the pro by watching some DVDs of training and competitions, that was the goal of training and dieting, to be an IFFBB pro.

After 20 years, all the illusions and fantasies pass and fade, only the time you experience in training remains and how good it makes you feel inside and out, in addition to the daily routine, discipline.... I like to eat at the same hours and I can't boring of the simple recipes I make, lol

Have you ever read "Sun and Steel", by Yukio Mishima? I think you would like it a lot, and get a lot out of it. Actual combination of philosophy and bodybuilding.

-David

Comment

Originally posted by lifepulse View Post

Have you ever read "Sun and Steel", by Yukio Mishima? I think you would like it a lot, and get a lot out of it. Actual combination of philosophy and bodybuilding.

-David
                        Mishima was an interesting man

Comment

In the 1980's life was more violent for a teenager than it is today. We used to fight every weekend. I boxed and lifted weights. When I start to put on muscle I didn't have to fight as much cause people are intimidated by size.

My parents separated when I was eight and I mistakenly thought being a man was about being big and knocking heads.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Beat View Post
                            In the 1980's life was more violent for a teenager than it is today. We used to fight every weekend. I boxed and lifted weights. When I start to put on muscle I didn't have to fight as much cause people are intimidated by size.

My parents separated when I was eight and I mistakenly thought being a man was about being big and knocking heads.
                            In fairness, I think a lot of boys grow up wanting to be bad ass , macho men. I sure did LOL.
                            I had 2 good parents , but, I was still full of piss and vinegar .
                            Got into martial arts young and by Jr HS and got suspended for fighting every year ( 7th-9th grade).

I thought I was a real bad ass, but I was more Barney Fife, then Bruce Lee

Had a couple close bro pals and we'd kick box or reg box in the basement.
                            I actually had regulation boxing gloves and ordered some safety kick "padded booties".

I had this stretch pulley rigged up for my legs to kick higher and make shift ring to spar in.
                            Once I lost my balance and was stuck hanging with 1 leg caught in the upper part of the pulley stretch.
                            My sister heard me screaming for help and helped get me out, after laughing for a minute.

Comment

Originally posted by Giles View Post

Ugh, you’re NATURALLLL???? NooooOOooooooo. Say it isn’t sooooooo.
                              Yes sir natty 4 life

Comment

Working...
                              X