Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

The original Mentzer heavy duty workout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The original Mentzer heavy duty workout

Lots of myth, rumor and misinformation has been spread on Mike Mentzer's Heavy Duty style of intense training.
    Flash back to the late 1970's and I ordered the original " Heavy Duty" training pamphlet via regular "snail" mail.
    I still have the slick 5"x 7" pamphlet in a plastic baggy with Mike's original workout.

Day 1 Mon and Thurs ( chest, triceps and legs) *do 1-2 warm up sets before all out work sets * use slow steady rep speed and strict form.
    Chest
    1, Two pre-exhuast super sets of pec dec, cable crosses or flat DB flys quickly followed by incline or flat machine press ( 8-10 reps per exercise plus forced reps)
    2. Incline DB fly- 102 sets of 8-10 reps plus 2-3 forced reps.

Triceps
    1. Pre-exhaust super set of tricep push downs or nautilus machine tris with dips ( 8-10 reps each plus forced reps)
    2. Cable or DB single arm tri kick backs ( 1set 10 reps)

Legs
    1. Pre-exhaust super set of leg ext quickly followed leg press ( 10-12 reps per exercise )
    2. Reg Barbell squat - 1 x 8-10 reps, after 2 warm up sets
    3. Leg curl - 2 sets , 8-10 reps each with forced reps
    4. standing toe raise - 1 x 12 reps
    5. seated toe raise - 1 x 15 reps

Day 2 Back, delts, bi's , abs
    Back
    1. two pre-exhaust cycles of pullovers with pull downs ( 8-10 reps each plus forced reps)
    2. Barbell or cable row - 1 x 10 reps after warm up sets
    3. Shrugs - 1 x 10 reps after warm ups
    Delts
    4. 0ne or two pre-exhaust cycles of side laterals with overhead press - ( 8-10 reps each plus forced)
    5. rear delt laterals - 1-2 sets 10 reps

bicep
    1. preacher curl - 1 x 10 reps plus forced and negatives
    2. DB concentration curl - 1x 10 reps plus forced and negatives

abs
    1. crunches - 1 set 20-25 reps with light wt plate behind head, drop wt at failure and do a few more reps.
    2. hanging leg raise - 1 set 15-20 reps slow and strict.

He also rode his bike 3 times per week pre-contest for 60 to 90 min ( or more) of hard peddling.
    Mentzer did a lot of posing practice and often liked to "contract" and flex a muscle hard when training between sets.

The listed routine was what he actually did to obtain most of his size and muscularity.
    I got into my lifetime best contest condition doing this routine with a basic low calorie/low fat diet.
    The slow pace, pre-exhaust sets gave me the best pump of my life.

Later , he experimented with the same body part split but trained every other day for more recovery.
    He also did some " rest pause " training in the later part of his pro career ( 1979-80)
    It's a lot like DC training using heavier , strict single reps and resting 10-15 sec between them.
    I saw a star, reached for it...and MISSED

I thought you trained each muscle every 8-10 days, here I see that there is a higher frequency.

Also, dividing the whole body in 2 days seems like too many muscles to train each day. I like Dorian's HD better.
    http://betionastore.es/

Comment

Originally posted by Beti ona View Post
      I thought you trained each muscle every 8-10 days, here I see that there is a higher frequency.

Also, dividing the whole body in 2 days seems like too many muscles to train each day. I like Dorian's HD better.
      1. The way Mentzer actually prepared for contests with the original heavy duty, was VERY different from his later training advice.
      The workout posted above is taken directly from his original heavy duty pamphlet, 1st published in the late 1970's.

His better known version maximizes recovery by greatly reducing workout frequency and overall volume, etc
      AGAIN, this later version was NOT the workout he used to develop his legendary physique.

2. Mentzer was dismayed by the high volume , long training sessions when he was in the Air Force.
      He met Author Jones at the AAU America that Casey won at age 19 using high intensity workouts with Nautilus.
      ( * check out the "Colorado experiment, Casey Viator" to read more details).

He started with 3 day a week, FULL body HIT work and found that too difficult to train every body part hard.
      So, he opted to cut his body into two halves and that's the posted " Heavy Duty" workout , he made famous.

3. Yates came from a modern era where advanced trainers worked a body part once per week.
      That may be superior and it sure worked well for Yates.

No one single routine is ideal for every bodybuilder. Plus, no one training system works for life.
      To be honest, my success with Heavy Duty was in my mid 20's while using some juice.

While drug free in my 30's, I needed more volume and high reps with more cardio to be contest ready.

Now, still drug free in my 60's , I use mostly machines and less wt , etc

As Bob Chic often advised ; " The routine you make great progress with, will eventually stop being effective."
      Last edited by Howard; September 20, 2021, 05:51 PM.

Comment

I agree with you, I have 3 or 4 routines that I rotate, each routine has strengths and weaknesses, there is no perfect or definitive routine.

Anyway, the most important thing is that you exercise your muscles and be constant and patient, after 3 or 4 years of diet and serious training, no exercise or training will do anything to help you grow from that point, unless you start with gear.

As a fun fact, my calves have always sucked and I have trained them in every possible way, I still do, but in the last few months they seem to have believed, and I think it is due to the cardio step machine.
        http://betionastore.es/

Comment

Originally posted by Beti ona View Post
          I agree with you, I have 3 or 4 routines that I rotate, each routine has strengths and weaknesses, there is no perfect or definitive routine.

Anyway, the most important thing is that you exercise your muscles and be constant and patient, after 3 or 4 years of diet and serious training, no exercise or training will do anything to help you grow from that point, unless you start with gear.

As a fun fact, my calves have always sucked and I have trained them in every possible way, I still do, but in the last few months they seem to have believed, and I think it is due to the cardio step machine.
          Sometimes a stubborn body part finally responds when we least expect it.
          Looks like the step machine work is effective.

One thing for sure is: your age , any steroid use and diet along with genetics, all contribute to the results you get.

Comment

"2. Incline DB fly- 102 sets of 8-10 reps plus 2-3 forced reps."
            Wow, that is heavy duty! ( I know it's a typo, just bein funny!)

Comment

Originally posted by nodoughnut View Post
              "2. Incline DB fly- 102 sets of 8-10 reps plus 2-3 forced reps."
              Wow, that is heavy duty! ( I know it's a typo, just bein funny!)
              Not a typo. Try out the 102 sets and let us know how it works . I expect a full report with video by Tuesday morning . Happy pumping

Comment

102 sets?? wtf!

Comment

Originally posted by triceps View Post
                  102 sets?? wtf!
                  Why do you think it's called "heavy duty"

Comment

IMO, Mentzers greatest contribution was he let us know we had a choice in how we trained. HD, worked better for some than others but at least it was something different. Crazy thought: what would happen if there was a set of triplets, never trained, all other things equal. One does volume, one does HD and the third, a mixture of both. Wouldn’t that tell us what training is best for building muscle?

Comment

I ordered his book, read it and tried his workout.
                      I liked it.
                      My Competition Prep Journal

Muscular Development Forum Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Howard View Post

Why do you think it's called "heavy duty"
                        There's gotta be a mistake, heavy duty is low volume

Comment

Originally posted by triceps View Post

There's gotta be a mistake, heavy duty is low volume
                          Dude, the 102 sets was an obvious typo ( * 1-2 sets was what I meant).
                          It was pointed out by nodonut and felt to be absurd and funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Buadain View Post
                            I ordered his book, read it and tried his workout.
                            I liked it.
                            I first ordered his original heavy duty booklet around 1978 .
                            I was an undergrad chemistry major and had limited time and energy for BB.
                            This made me frustrated trying to mimic the 2 plus hr daily workouts of the era.

The Heavy Duty 4 -5hrs a week plan was a breath of fresh air.

I was ready to quit competitive BB in the mid 80's due to similar frustration.
                            As a last resort I opted to do the Heavy Duty routine.

THAT combined with small cycles of winnie V , allowed me to get 1st in 6 contests in 1986.
                            Granted, all but one was a " Mr Podunk" , but it was better then quitting in my 20's .

Comment

Originally posted by Howard View Post

Dude, the 102 sets was an obvious typo ( * 1-2 sets was what I meant).
                              It was pointed out by nodonut and felt to be absurd and funny.
                              Oh, well you got me there

Comment

Working...
                              X