Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Observations from watching this NPC nationals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Beti ona View Post

If they don't win it's not because they're freaks, it's because they don't get in condition, have missing body parts, pose like shit, have strange lumps for too obvius SEO use ...
    EXACTLY the point I'm trying to make in this thread!

I've judged shows where guys keep coming back more screwed up each year and keep placing lower or last.
    Instead of trying to get ripped and pose well, they only try to blow up bigger.
    This leads to the bloated gut and more distorted looking physique.

I begin to realize, what they BELIEVED would be a winning look was at odds with contest judging criteria.

AGAIN, my whole point is, every contest has countless delusional wannabees spouting off on what it takes to win.
    A few years ago, a young guy asked me if he was ready to compete in the Jr Middle wt div of a local NPC show.
    The show was 6 weeks away and he already had sharp abs with decent quads and overall muscularity.
    He was about 5'8" and 180 lbs.

This one self appointed expert with odd lumpy delts walked over and chimed in .
    " Look bro, you look good, but you need at least 30 more lbs of muscle BEFORE you considering getting on stage."

The guy reminded him he was competing in the Jr div as a middle wt at this local npc contest.
    The delusional "expert" mumbled something about how he'd never go pro at that wt .
    Then he said, what revealed his core issue:
    " Those small contests are a waste of time. You need to get a lot bigger and just do the nationals to try and go pro."

This "expert" had never competed , judged or worked as a trainer.
    He was clueless that you had to qualify for the open nationals before you competed in it.

THIS is what I'm talking about in this thread. People who have no idea what a great makes a great physique .
    To them, the bigger and freaky you look, the better bodybuilder you are...regardless of how you do in a contest.
    I saw a star, reached for it...and MISSED

Comment

Originally posted by Griff11 View Post
      Big dude...all the way big dude

1. THIS guy is a great example of what I'm talking about in this thread.
      He must believe because he's a big dude, he can beat most of the "smaller guys".
      I'd bet he qualified by getting 2nd our of 2 super hvys or 1st being the only super in the open.
      I can't imagine what delusional nonsense he talks with his gym buds about bodybuilding.

2. Griff, I'm no fan of MPD because of the format they use to compete.
      HOWEVER, you know I'd advise anyone to compete in MPD, if their body type was best suited for it.
      Like ANY sport, the main goal should be to win or at least do your best.

LOL, imagine how either of us would have done in football, if we refused to play unless we were QB
      Last edited by Howard; December 19, 2021, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Griff11 View Post
        I mentioned on Ron's Youtube vid that this is what happens when you make it easy to qualify for Nationals. Bring back the elimination round. You cant place top 15, then bye!! Not ONE person close to this dude said dont do the show???????????? BUT, the harder you make it to qualify, the less money coming in.
        SMOKE WEED EVERYDAY
        2016 NBA Champs...Cleveland Cavs

Comment

Originally posted by Howard View Post

EXACTLY the point I'm trying to make in this thread!

I've judged shows where guys keep coming back more screwed up each year and keep placing lower or last.
          Instead of trying to get ripped and pose well, they only try to blow up bigger.
          This leads to the bloated gut and more distorted looking physique.

I begin to realize, what they BELIEVED would be a winning look was at odds with contest judging criteria.
          It's no wonder this happens among aspiring regional bodybuilders, because this happens among pro themselves.

The obsession with size has always been superior to the obsession with condition or grace in poses. I guess eating is easier and more comfortable than starving.

Knowing what it takes to be a good competitor is not an easy learning process, there are too many voices and shit gurus, and even when you watch the pro shows, there are also different type of bodies and the scoring criteria are not always clear.
          http://betionastore.es/

Comment

Originally posted by bigmikecox View Post

I mentioned on Ron's Youtube vid that this is what happens when you make it easy to qualify for Nationals. Bring back the elimination round. You cant place top 15, then bye!! Not ONE person close to this dude said dont do the show???????????? BUT, the harder you make it to qualify, the less money coming in.
            Bingo!

Back when it was only bodybuilding, a BIG nationals had 150-200 entrants and each wt class was loaded.

Now with all the new divisions and easier qualifying , a 1000 entrants is normal.
            At $350 per entrant , even Jabba the Hut can compete on the national stage

Comment

It's no wonder this happens among aspiring regional bodybuilders, because this happens among pro themselves.

The obsession with size has always been superior to the obsession with condition or grace in poses. I guess eating is easier and more comfortable than starving.

Knowing what it takes to be a good competitor is not an easy learning process, there are too many voices and shit gurus, and even when you watch the pro shows, there are also different type of bodies and the scoring criteria are not always clear.
              Good post Beti

But every gym rat can clearly SEE with their own eyes what a winning a physique looks like in every division ,
              Now, with internet coverage, you don't even need to be at the show, to clearly see the top physiques.

To me, this is a clear case of being DELUSIONAL .

It's one thing if Jay or Ronnie gain quality mass to win an Olympia.
              BUT, that's very different from Bart Blowfart bulking up.
              Bart adds 30 lbs of fat and 5 lbs of muscle BUT thinks he can lose 15 lbs to look ripped

Being too fat on stage along with odd synthol bumps and pregnant bellies is what I'm talking about here.

AGAIN, every competitor sees what wins in contests and they work harder to NOT look like that. WTF?

Comment

Good post Beti

But every gym rat can clearly SEE with their own eyes what a winning a physique looks like in every division ,
                Now, with internet coverage, you don't even need to be at the show, to clearly see the top physiques.

To me, this is a clear case of being DELUSIONAL .

It's one thing if Jay or Ronnie gain quality mass to win an Olympia.
                BUT, that's very different from Bart Blowfart bulking up.
                Bart adds 30 lbs of fat and 5 lbs of muscle BUT thinks he can lose 15 lbs to look ripped

Being too fat on stage along with odd synthol bumps and pregnant bellies is what I'm talking about here.

AGAIN, every competitor sees what wins in contests and they work harder to NOT look like that. WTF?
                You make a mistake, you are giving too much value to today's young people.

I assure you that most of them are not looking photos of different divisions champions in NPC news online.

I'll give you an example, the owners of a company that advertises on this site have problems with the law due to selling some pro-hormonal supplements. Some of these men wanted to set up scams using Meadows and Evan image. When both discovered that the formulas or ingredients were not what they thought, they left the contract. But even with these issues, problems, and polemics that were discussed on message boards or IGs, these men are still making a ton of money from their companies.

My point is that there are very few of us who follow the industry closely and in depth, and that being a competitor or gym rat does not necessarily mean that you are informed or have knowledge.

Most people on this planet do not make the effort to learn, not even in areas in which they are supposedly interested.

Comment

You make a mistake, you are giving too much value to today's young people.

I assure you that most of them are not looking photos of different divisions champions in NPC news online.

I'll give you an example, the owners of a company that advertises on this site have problems with the law due to selling some pro-hormonal supplements. Some of these men wanted to set up scams using Meadows and Evan image. When both discovered that the formulas or ingredients were not what they thought, they left the contract. But even with these issues, problems, and polemics that were discussed on message boards or IGs, these men are still making a ton of money from their companies.

My point is that there are very few of us who follow the industry closely and in depth, and that being a competitor or gym rat does not necessarily mean that you are informed or have knowledge.

Most people on this planet do not make the effort to learn, not even in areas in which they are supposedly interested.
                  Good post.

But, I think we're agreeing on this issue.

I don't doubt that these "cocky dumb" self appointed experts seek out images and info that differs from their OPINIONS.
                  My point is/was, they COULD , if they wanted to.

It's NOT easy telling a competitor in prep , the hard truth about losing more wt ( aka FAT).
                  Most younger competitors will listen to some charismatic figure that tells them what they want to hear.
                  When they fail to win , they can blame "judging politics" or needing a new magic potion , they can provide.

As for dubious supplement sales and most drug use , it's always been a wild west- outlaw deal.
                  A big part of the appeal is the idea you're getting some secret , magic potion that only "insiders" have.

Of course, if everyone was sensible and realistic, the nationals entry numbers would shrink.
                  For example, I competed in the NPC Jr USA once and never entered the nationals.
                  I knew I wasn't a serious threat to win my class. So, I'd buy a ticket and watch those that were.
                  Of course, they'd have more entering state and local shows, but that's another thread topic.

Comment

Bingo!

Back when it was only bodybuilding, a BIG nationals had 150-200 entrants and each wt class was loaded.

Now with all the new divisions and easier qualifying , a 1000 entrants is normal.
                    At $350 per entrant , even Jabba the Hut can compete on the national stage
                    Guys that should have done Jr.'s jump into this bc everyone wants a pro card NOW!!! Not in 3 years when they are ready to do damage, but now when they dont place.
                    SMOKE WEED EVERYDAY

Comment

Originally posted by bigmikecox View Post

Guys that should have done Jr.'s jump into this bc everyone wants a pro card NOW!!! Not in 3 years when they are ready to do damage, but now when they dont place.
                      True 'dat

I'll bet a bunch of those who placed low at the nationals , follow this basic scenario:

1. Compete in a "qualifier" for their first contest and place 2nd out of 2, or 1st as the lone entrant.

2. Now their qualified for the nationals, so they get pro career delusions .

3. They spend months in advance posting pics of them eating meals and training, etc on social media ( FB or IG).
                      All tagged with some tie in about going to the nationals and turning pro after.

4. After they place really low, they post some "filtered pic" and get a bunch of LIKES.
                      This results in an avalanche of posting about how it was bad judging "politics" .

5. After one or maybe 2 more shots at nationals glory, they grow weary of placing so low.
                      They end up being bitter about the sport and quit competing.

The final posts are bitter rants about how the judges suck and only pick their friends.
                      Anyone who dares to disagree is a hater and much be shunned and shammed by their circle of FB pals.

Comment

True 'dat

I'll bet a bunch of those who placed low at the nationals , follow this basic scenario:

1. Compete in a "qualifier" for their first contest and place 2nd out of 2, or 1st as the lone entrant.

2. Now their qualified for the nationals, so they get pro career delusions .

3. They spend months in advance posting pics of them eating meals and training, etc on social media ( FB or IG).
                        All tagged with some tie in about going to the nationals and turning pro after.

4. After they place really low, they post some "filtered pic" and get a bunch of LIKES.
                        This results in an avalanche of posting about how it was bad judging "politics" .

5. After one or maybe 2 more shots at nationals glory, they grow weary of placing so low.
                        They end up being bitter about the sport and quit competing.

The final posts are bitter rants about how the judges suck and only pick their friends.
                        Anyone who dares to disagree is a hater and much be shunned and shammed by their circle of FB pals.
                        THIS!!! Its all for the "gram". I wonder how many guys and girls will say "I was top 16 at Nationals"

Talked to a dude yesterday at the gym who has an average physique, about 5'9 and he said he was 220lbs, but what got me was, he said he is doing Nationals as a bber next year and once he turns pro he will switch to CP. Baby steps kid
                        SMOKE WEED EVERYDAY

Comment

Please indulge me in giving my own personal story related to this issue.
                          After a 3 yr hiatus from full time school and starting my new career, I opted to return to competing .
                          In brief, I competed twice, came in too heavy and not fully conditioned.

For the next 9 months, I didn't gain any wt after my 2nd show.
                          I ate clean, gradually increased my cardio and made some gains in quality muscle.
                          The next year, I entered the same 2 shows , plus 1 more a few lbs lighter with the increased muscle mass.

At my first show , a supp vendor from Miss, gave me one of my most cherished compliments:
                          " I saw you last year and thought you weren't a serious bodybuilder. Today, you looked like a serious, ripped competitor"

LOL, nobody would confuse me for an Olympia pro, BUT, I was tanned , ripped and ready for the stage.

Comment

“ In a stacked nationals class I placed top 15! …the super heavyweight class was unreal In terms of size and quality! … I battled it out and just missed the second call out! (Think I was in the 3rd or 4th call out.. maybe 5th) … I was shredded and pealed the day before! (A last minute water manipulation strategy backfired) .. my friends said I just missed being in the first. Call out and should have won! I will put my head down / stay in my own lane and train for that Pro Card then on to win my first Pro show! … I have set up a “go -fund me “ page for those who wish to donate to my journey! … obviously I can’t work I’m so focused on my goals! I am also looking for “ sponsors” so if any companies want a future “ top 10 MR Olympia “ competitor… best get on board fast! … I am overwhelmed by all the Fans support! .., let’s get this Pro Card! lol
                            Last edited by MICHAEL ARVILLA; December 20, 2021, 05:12 PM.
                            http://www.facebook.com/michael.arvilla?ref=profile

Comment

Please indulge me in giving my own personal story related to this issue.
                              After a 3 yr hiatus from full time school and starting my new career, I opted to return to competing .
                              In brief, I competed twice, came in too heavy and not fully conditioned.

For the next 9 months, I didn't gain any wt after my 2nd show.
                              I ate clean, gradually increased my cardio and made some gains in quality muscle.
                              The next year, I entered the same 2 shows , plus 1 more a few lbs lighter with the increased muscle mass.

At my first show , a supp vendor from Miss, gave me one of my most cherished compliments:
                              " I saw you last year and thought you weren't a serious bodybuilder. Today, you looked like a serious, ripped competitor"

LOL, nobody would confuse me for an Olympia pro, BUT, I was tanned , ripped and ready for the stage.
                              For those who are not massive in size, being ripped is the only way to look like a serious athlete. And if you learn to pose and have a good tan, then you could defeat a lot of guys with bigger sizes but worse intelligence on what it takes to be competitive.

I know you really like to use the example of the powerlifting lifters with lifting suits.

So what's more impressive: a 500-pound deep squat; Or a 700-pound mid-range squat with lifting equipment?

Unless you're lifting a ton of weight, no one will take you as seriously as the raw lifter.

Comment

Originally posted by MICHAEL ARVILLA View Post
                                “ In a stacked nationals class I placed top 15! …the super heavyweight class was unreal In terms of size and quality! … I battled it out and just missed the second call out! (Think I was in the 3rd or 4th call out.. maybe 5th) … I was shredded and pealed the day before! (A last minute water manipulation strategy backfired) .. my friends said I just missed being in the first. Call out and should have won! I will put my head down / stay in my own lane and train for that Pro Card then on to win my first Pro show! … I have set up a “go -fund me “ page for those who wish to donate to my journey! … obviously I can’t work I’m so focused on my goals! I am also looking for “ sponsors” so if any companies want a future “ top 10 MR Olympia “ competitor… best get on board fast! … I am overwhelmed by all the Fans support! .., let’s get this Pro Card! lol
                                Wow, that's a great list of classic lines from "pro wannabees" ...that fail

Comment

Working...
                                X