Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Hi Everyone. Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Never meet your Heroes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Never meet your Heroes?

Just to follow on from something Ron posted on another thread on here regarding when we meet our heroes.

In our case, the bodybuilders- and for me, it’s also been others that make up our weird & wonderful industry; such as the writers, photographers, coaches, reporters etc.

In my 27 years, I’d say meeting my ‘Heroes’ was - overwhelmingly - a highly positive experience.

Spending the day in Nottingham with Kevin Levrone the day after the 1994 British Grand Prix (I was 18 years old) hanging out with him, was a HUGE turning point in my life.

I had a black & white photo I’d taken, processed & printed at photography college of Dorian Yates guest posing at 290lbs (Seminar, Sidmouth, Devon, in February 1994) and had it framed to try give to Dorian (I was unsuccessful) at the show.

Kevin was SO encouraging with both my photography & my enthusiasm for bodybuilding that HE was the one to say “you should work for bodybuilding magazines Giles!” Even calling over the Legendary Peter McGough over to further encourage me.

Of course, 27 years later, here I still am, perhaps even more enthusiastic than I was back then!

Kevin was of course, just one example of dozens, no, perhaps hundreds of positive interactions I found either to be highly motivational, inspirational & overall just a meaningful, positive interaction with those that I looked up to, whether it be Kevin or even Peter McGough or Kevin Horton, Steve Blechman, Ron Harris, Ronnie Coleman…the list will go on and on and on.

I found by always having a respectful, polite approach I was fortunate enough to walk away feeling glad I went over and simply started a conversation. It enabled me to (I believe) get the best out of them and something I could gain on a personal level that enabled me to walk away feeling as if I had gained something positive.

Super interested to hear of others personal overall experience of meeting their ‘Heroes’.

Was it a ‘yay’….or a ‘nay’? Any why?
    MD Global Muscle Radio ep.40-https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-MIKWx8sAcw&t=5319s

Great post Giles . Looks like you're back to your old self

In my experience, , if meeting your hero is a major disappointment, they weren't the genuine article.
    In other words, your admiration was based on "smoke and mirrors".

Giles posted experiences prove, sometimes , the hero is, "as advertised".

However, sometimes, we have an isolated and/or misleading experience with our hero.
    A female BB friend was excited to meet this one handsome pro, who was guest posing at a contest I competed in.
    She saw him standing in the lobby at the night show, so she grabbed a female friend and went over to meet him.

He all but ignored them and after a min of trying to meet him, they walked away annoyed.
    From that day on, every time he was mentioned at the gym, she remarked what a jerk he was .

Compare that , with my experience meeting Pres Jimmy Carter back in 1975, campaigning in NH.
    I was a nobody high school student and he looked me straight in the eye and warmly shook my hand with both of his.
    He said ; " I'm Gov Jimmy Carter young man, and I'm running to be your next President."

During my few sec of meeting him, I felt like I had his complete focus and his smile lit up the room.
    Obviously, his Presidency had it's problems, but I still have positive feelings about him as a man.

Moral to the story - We can develop good or bad feelings based on brief experiences .
    Last edited by Howard; June 22, 2022, 12:25 PM.
    I saw a star, reached for it...and MISSED

Comment

First, I was competing in Lynchburg, VA in 1990 at the Jan Tana. This was about 6 weeks out from the drug tested Olympia and Haney is guest posing. Haney was a GOD!!! So im up in my room having my mom Pro Tan me and my dad is in the hotel resturant and calls up and says...Lee Haney is down here. Im freshly painted and go downstairs in my T-Michael rag top and see Haney and Ropeman Felder eating!! I walk over, scared as shit and say...Mr. Haney, can I have an autograph? He stops eating, looks up and says OF COURSE!!! Lee Haney asked a 16 year old how I was doing, where im from and wished me luck. Fast forward to the next day and I get 4th in the under 16 class and I go back to buy and 8x10 and he asks how I did. I was upset and he saw that and gave me a pep talk. WTF????????????? Never forgot that and i told him about that last year at the O. True gentleman

So in 93 I went to the Arnold and they didnt have an expo yet. Some guys sold pics in the basement of the Vet. That year Chris Duffy, Cory and Flex Wheeler were signing autographs. Now for me, Shawn Ray and Flex were my IDOLS!!! Bought everything they put out, studied their training articles, etc. So I get a pic from Duffy, super nice (this was pre Bull Stanton era...LOL) so I go to Flex and pick a picture and wait for him to sign it. Now Flex was sitting with Rico and didnt even look up at me. Handed him the pic, he signed it and said...$10. He actually looked annoyed. Rico saw this and he thanked me.

Fast forward to 2005 and he was at the NA's in Cleveland and this was a TOTALLY different person. I went to get his autobiography and he TALKED to me for a good 10 minutes.

Only bad experience ive EVER had was with Laura Creavalle and Davana Medina
      SMOKE WEED EVERYDAY
      2016 NBA Champs...Cleveland Cavs

Comment

Didn't you have any negative interaction or unpleasant surprise with any of your heroes?
        http://betionastore.es/

Comment

I too have had almost entirely positive experiences. Of course the rare negative ones stand out most, sadly. Back in 1991 I trained at Gold's Venice, and pro wrestlers would come in from time to time when they were in town. One time I was training alongside Greg 'The Hammer' Valentine, who was a major WWF (now WWE) star in the 80's. Maybe he was just having a bad day, but I said something along the lines of "Big fan, been watching you since I was a little kid." He sort of squinted at me, then turned his back on me without saying a word. And that was that. I had a much better experience a couple years later in there meeting Hulk Hogan and Randy 'Macho Man' Savage, who were working out and in a great mood - I suspect they were coked up! :LOL
          Muscular Development Online Editor
          FB: Ron Harris IG: RonHarrisMuscle Author "EvilX10: 10 Tales of Extreme Darkness"

Comment

Originally posted by Beti ona View Post
            Didn't you have any negative interaction or unpleasant surprise with any of your heroes?
            I’m trying to think of any but can’t mate.

Comment

I idolised Tom Platz and met him at end of night at a seminar - spoke for several minutes. Was such a cool guy. Didn't rush the conversation.

Met Dorian once only - two weeks before turning pro. Was backstage before a guest spot. Never ever seen anything like it. Was focused and gracious. Kevin Horton was there also. He used to work in Bodyworks London behind the desk. Great chats.

Never been dissapointed by a pro bodybuilder.
              *Brotherhood of iron *

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeUK View Post
                I idolised Tom Platz and met him at end of night at a seminar - spoke for several minutes. Was such a cool guy. Didn't rush the conversation.
                Same here, meet Tom when Tony Doherty had him over in Australia. Meet him and his wife, both were great, he was a total gentleman and class act. He was the only pro bodybuilder i wanted to meet as he was inspiring to speak with.

Comment

My first bodybuilding mentor was an older man who used an odd training technique.
                  He had me bend over to "stretch my hams" while he stood behind me in the gym shower stall
                  He often checked my prostate too, but damn if his finger didn't feel larger then normal

I'm not sure if that's really negative , but some aspects of it were rather unpleasant.

Hope this answers your question.
                  Last edited by Howard; June 26, 2022, 08:23 PM.
                  I saw a star, reached for it...and MISSED

Comment

Originally posted by taz devil View Post

Same here, meet Tom when Tony Doherty had him over in Australia. Meet him and his wife, both were great, he was a total gentleman and class act. He was the only pro bodybuilder i wanted to meet as he was inspiring to speak with.
                    One thing I remember him say was that the night sky of Scotland was like crystal...

He's right

I've seen the northern lights many a time in my home corner of Scotland
                    *Brotherhood of iron *

Comment

I have read many experiences over the years of fans with famous athletes. Some seemed always unpleasant like Lou Ferrigno, others could vary depending on their time and the type of fans.

I can't blame athletes who aren't too nice to some stupid types of fans, but respectful fans should never get a sneer from their idols.
                      http://betionastore.es/

Comment

I have read many experiences over the years of fans with famous athletes. Some seemed always unpleasant like Lou Ferrigno, others could vary depending on their time and the type of fans.

I can't blame athletes who aren't too nice to some stupid types of fans, but respectful fans should never get a sneer from their idols.
                        Pretty much every time I saw Lou Ferrigno, he was doing that thing where he puts his hand up in front of his face when anyone tries to take a picture of him.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeUK View Post

One thing I remember him say was that the night sky of Scotland was like crystal...

He's right

I've seen the northern lights many a time in my home corner of Scotland
                          Funny you should say that as i watched the southern lights last night from the southern most city in Australia.

Small world, you at the top and me at the bottom watching the same incredible display.

Comment

Originally posted by Giles View Post

Pretty much every time I saw Lou Ferrigno, he was doing that thing where he puts his hand up in front of his face when anyone tries to take a picture of him.
                            Jeez Louise, what a sad gymp......the incredible hulk running from a photo, sums up Hollywood perfectly.

Comment

Matarazzo = amazing (worked with his wife at “ Bleachers “ a bar/ club in Salem Massachusetts… became friends with him / visited him when he was staying in Venice CA just a good solid dude! …Flex …. Was a different person back then! (He hit on my girl at Golds Venice .. actually confronted him at “ the Firehouse “he was siting with Cormier / Dillett / Rico etc… ended in a shoving match inside … spilled out onto the street .. Cormier talked sense into me! …met many others most were good people!
                              Attached Files
                              http://www.facebook.com/michael.arvilla?ref=profile

Comment

Working...
                              X