Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Hi Everyone. Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

2007 Figure Olympia, some fun posts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2007 Figure Olympia, some fun posts

I was browsing the forums and found some reactions about the judging of figure, it seems that now the criteria are more objective, or not?

How did monica not win? I think her and the girl who placed 5th or 6th(cant remember but very muscular win) not get higher. I mean, im sorry but Jenny looked much softer than many of the other women there. And I didnt like how Gina looked either.

I think monica should have won. Most of those girls looked like swimsuit models or just a girl with a decent figure at the beach or something. Nothing impressive. Monica was hard,dry muscular and conditioned. She should have won.

The shame of Monica not winning is because the last time she competed they (judges) told her she was too musclular! Go Figure. So she diets off some perfectly good muscle, esp in her legs and does not even go top 6???? So much for doing what judges told her. She should have kept the muscle. It is so hard to judge figure as they seem to change what they look for from show to show.

Monica is a well seasoned competitor. She has the ability to change her appearance from show to show based on what the judges tell her. This year she did just that. She conformed to their wishes and dieted down a hell of a lot of great looking muscle. Monica with muscle is still more feminine than most of the other women out there. I have pics of her carrying a lot more mass than she displayed at this show, and in a bikini she blows all the other girls away for shape, symmetry, muscularity and femininity. I always shake my head at these figure shows due to the conflicting views of the judgeing panel. Monica is in a class of her own. A real pro and great looking woman. Theres the short class, the tall class, and then there's Monica class!

Its a bullshit sport in my view, competitors dont even know what the judges want. One year its muscularity and hardness, next year its overall feminine appearance and softer look, and the year after that its some other thing. Decide on the goddamn rules, so that competitors can actually prepare accordingly

They way the judges change their minds makes it so frustrating and totally confusing.

I personally know one female who was in the top five. She said she didnt train for the show other than cardio and she didnt diet very long at all as they are wanting them soft.

I'm being serious. I know her very well and she woudn't lie to me. She said last year they told her she was too muscular. She said that she hasnt really trained with weights this year. She said for her prep for the O, she just did cardio and she only dieted for a few weeks as she stayed somewhat lean in the offseason and they dont want them that lean anymore....and placed top five.LOL

I am so sick of this Olympia

this year really sucked all acroos the board except maybe IRIS as Ms.Olympia, the rest of the events and expo (except the MMA stuff) was just plain weak. I am so glad the company I rep for sat this year out as many others did too. I would rather us spend the $40k for the Arnold or some better local shows. I spoke with about 100 different peeps from the athletes to the exhibitors all of them felt this year just lacked that "excitement". As for Monica poor thing really busted her ass trying to come in feminine and conditioned. Maybe she was too muscular, as some say, but I thought she got Robbed of a much deserved higher placing. Phil Heath said its a shitty time for the sport as there is so little support from the officials, industry, and now the general public looks at them all as roided out maniacs 1 step away from jail, No love or respect. I have been around this sport for at least 20 years and never thought it would become what it is today. A clusterfuk!
    http://betionastore.es/

Just reinforces my opinion that the figure judging is " hit or miss" with no clear, consistent , OFFICIAL criteria.

Reminds me of my own experience as a young "wannabee" trying to move up the ranks.

I entered a regional contest and got 2nd Lt hvy. The guy who beat me was good and we did a lot of comparisons
    I went to the head judge,tell him what class I was in and ask what I could do to improve.
    He pauses and says ;
    " It was close and you don't have an obvious weakness. With time, you'll get bigger.
    You could get some brighter color trunks with a higher waist. Red would work."

3 weeks later, I'm in another contest and placed 2nd again wearing new , high cut RED posing trunks.
    It was a different guy who beat me, but once again , it was close and we did several rounds of comparisons.

After the show , I go up to the same head judge and ask him, what could I do to improve?
    He pauses, looks at me thoughtfully and says ; " Some different posing trunks might help."
    I saw a star, reached for it...and MISSED

Comment

Figure has sorted itself in recent years. The last time something like this happened was with Nicole Wilkens. They told her to come in softer when she did she was marked down. Oh I also remember Melissa Bumstead being told she was too hard at the Olympia. When she came in softer at the following Arnold softer she was marked down

Comment

Originally posted by Griff11 View Post
        Figure has sorted itself in recent years. The last time something like this happened was with Nicole Wilkens. They told her to come in softer when she did she was marked down. Oh I also remember Melissa Bumstead being told she was too hard at the Olympia. When she came in softer at the following Arnold softer she was marked down
        THIS post is a perfect example of the main problem with judging figure ( and other NON- bodybuilding divisions).

At the annual meeting while planning the next year's shows and format , any rule changes can be approved.
        ONCE adopted, the judges need to follow these OFFICIAL standards at every contest .

But various judges at every level , use whatever standard they prefer or change it as they feel.
        Unless every judge makes a serious effort to use the official criteria, we end up with chaos.

The IFBB/ NPC can use whatever standards they desire for any division.
        However, you can't just change them without making it the new adopted standard, in the official written criteria.

Without using a consistent , official standard, the winning criteria is whatever the judges think/say at each contest.
        Again, that leads to competitor confusion and fans' losing faith in the judges credibility .

Comment

The judges, divisions and athletes can change, but what never changes are the doubts about some results.

The official criteria are one thing, but the judges have their personal criteria. It is also common for athletes to be judged differently in different countries.

That said, the Olympia should be the gold standard in terms of adhering to official criteria, but figure, bikini, etc... have pretty ambiguous parameters.

Comment

Originally posted by Howard View Post
            Just reinforces my opinion that the figure judging is " hit or miss" with no clear, consistent , OFFICIAL criteria.

Reminds me of my own experience as a young "wannabee" trying to move up the ranks.

I entered a regional contest and got 2nd Lt hvy. The guy who beat me was good and we did a lot of comparisons
            I went to the head judge,tell him what class I was in and ask what I could do to improve.
            He pauses and says ;
            " It was close and you don't have an obvious weakness. With time, you'll get bigger.
            You could get some brighter color trunks with a higher waist. Red would work."

3 weeks later, I'm in another contest and placed 2nd again wearing new , high cut RED posing trunks.
            It was a different guy who beat me, but once again , it was close and we did several rounds of comparisons.

After the show , I go up to the same head judge and ask him, what could I do to improve?
            He pauses, looks at me thoughtfully and says ; " Some different posing trunks might help."
            Seems that trunks was the BS answer he gave to everyone in absence of any real critique.

Honestly, I think judging is better now.

Thompson doesn't have his seedy little hands on anything.
            *Brotherhood of iron *

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeUK View Post

Seems that trunks was the BS answer he gave to everyone in absence of any real critique.

Honestly, I think judging is better now.

Thompson doesn't have his seedy little hands on anything.
              Oh yeah, it was obvious he used the " get different trunks" line when he didn't have a good answer.

Ok, in my OPINION, the BB judging is better overall, but the "other " divisions are haphazard and random.
              I've used this example before, but it's a good one so , wtf :

On the npc website, under figure judging , they provide the criteria used to select them.

They don't have a lot there, but it clearly states " visible muscle striations will be marked down".
              Ok , I understand and I'm fine with that standard.

Then, you see current figure contestants winning with deep obvious striations and others told they were marked down for NOT having striations.
              I've heard the same from trainers and a variety of people involved directly with current contests.

I don't personally care if figure girls need clear striations or not.
              BUT, why have the official written criteria be the opposite of how it's judged?

In every other judged sport, if they picked a winner based on criteria at odds with the official standards, they'd be a major controversy.
              Nope, instead of making a legitimate grievance, they all scream " politics" and " it's fixed" with their friends .
              They end up looking like disgruntled losers and nothing gets changed.

This is like trying to file a lawsuit by yelling at the courthouse.

Comment

I'd say with Weinberger it's his way or the highway but as the same time I don't much wrong with his decisions, the blatant robberies of the past seem to be few and far between nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Beat View Post
                  I'd say with Weinberger it's his way or the highway but as the same time I don't much wrong with his decisions, the blatant robberies of the past seem to be few and far between nowadays.
                  I think the same too mate, said it quite a few times on Global.

Before the split I think (if we really thought back hard) we all saw a shit ton of VERY dodgy decisions, but now?

Even if I personally see the occasional head scratcher they aren’t that bad (in my opinion, which is nestled in a highly subjective sport let’s not forget) they barely even register in my mind as a memory!

And don’t even get me started on the crazy shit that was done to the athletes like Kamal, Ricardo Correia & Sami Al-Haddad (really, REALLY bad, unfair & highly corrupt shit), but hey, don’t trigger me, I have a dodgy heart right now ha ha.
                  MD Global Muscle Radio ep.40-https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-MIKWx8sAcw&t=5319s

Comment

Originally posted by Giles View Post

I think the same too mate, said it quite a few times on Global.

Before the split I think (if we really thought back hard) we all saw a shit ton of VERY dodgy decisions, but now?

Even if I personally see the occasional head scratcher they aren’t that bad (in my opinion, which is nestled in a highly subjective sport let’s not forget) they barely even register in my mind as a memory!

And don’t even get me started on the crazy shit that was done to the athletes like Kamal, Ricardo Correia & Sami Al-Haddad (really, REALLY bad, unfair & highly corrupt shit), but hey, don’t trigger me, I have a dodgy heart right now ha ha.
                    I've always liked Steve W. and thought he did a good job judging.
                    But, I've not been covering contests like you, so I'll defer to your experience on this.

However, as I posted in another thread, the "other divisions" ( figure, MPD, bikini, etc) seem to use haphazard, random judging criteria.
                    Since these divisions make up the majority of contestants in most contests, it's worth debating.

Comment

Originally posted by Howard View Post

I've always liked Steve W. and thought he did a good job judging.
                      But, I've not been covering contests like you, so I'll defer to your experience on this.

However, as I posted in another thread, the "other divisions" ( figure, MPD, bikini, etc) seem to use haphazard, random judging criteria.
                      Since these divisions make up the majority of contestants in most contests, it's worth debating.
                      Here’s my one personal opinion of those categories right now in the pro ranks, in a nutshell…

- Figure: too muscular
                      - MPD: too big
                      - Bikini: too skinny
                      MD Global Muscle Radio ep.40-https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-MIKWx8sAcw&t=5319s

Comment

Here’s my one personal opinion of those categories right now in the pro ranks, in a nutshell…

This!

wellness: too many fake asses
                        SMOKE WEED EVERYDAY
                        2016 NBA Champs...Cleveland Cavs

Comment

MPD looks dumb.

Bikini should be kept like this.

Figure, some girls are too big and dry, why not compete in womens physique? Anyway I feel that girls who are too big are penalized

Comment

Originally posted by Beti ona View Post

MPD looks dumb.

Bikini should be kept like this.

Figure, some girls are too big and dry, why not compete in womens physique? Anyway I feel that girls who are too big are penalized
                            Some figure girls would do well in WPD. I think Jessica Padilla could do well in WPD
                            SMOKE WEED EVERYDAY
                            2016 NBA Champs...Cleveland Cavs

Comment

Judging them = too haphazard

Ok , since we agree, why don't they simply use some basic, consistent standards for these divisions?

Comment

Working...
                              X