Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Hi Everyone. Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Today's shows vs 90's contest/ expo atmosphere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today's shows vs 90's contest/ expo atmosphere

Does anyone else notice a BIG difference in atmosphere at contests and expos now ?
    1. For starters, the night show used to be a loud, wild, fun atmosphere , especially in the 90's.
    Now , people sit in various "camps" and don't cheer unless their person is up there.

Most walk around with a serious expression, and seem tense or defensive.

2. For me, the ironic thing is , the condition and quality of the physiques seems pretty damn good now.
    National and Pro events tend to have a variety of divisions with plenty of incredible bodies on stage.
    Despite the variety of great physiques competing, the contests seem long and boring now.

3. With a few exceptions , not too many care, how they pick any division , except bodybuilding.
    Trust me, I've tried to get a serious answer on the criteria used in : bikini, figure or MPD .
    Unlike bodybuilding, I can get 10 different answers from 10 different people.
    It's tough to get into something, when you're confused about the rules they use.

4. People attending or competing act like they're showing up for work .
    Those who seem friendly , walk around trying to network , like it's a job expo.
    Far too many are trying to sell a product or promote some fitness related service.

Maybe, I'm just out of touch with the modern contest scene?
    Last edited by Howard; July 1, 2022, 12:18 PM.
    I saw a star, reached for it...and MISSED

Before Noel posts nobody cares , I'll post my conclusions *aka Howard's brain farts*

1. In recent years, a much bigger % at contests or expos , make their living in the " fitness industry".
    To them, it's a place of work to sell or promote a product or service. Their top priority isn't seeing the show.
    It's all about trying to advance their fitness industry career .

2. A modern phenomenon, is the social media fitness personality .
    On the Europa expo website, it offers a special pass for the "social media influencer" .

3. Far too many believe the contests are "fixed" and don't trust the judges.
    When the contest decision doesn't go their way, they assume it was some nefarious plot .

Summary -
    The contest or expo is now a place of "serious business" for the majority involved.
    Last edited by Howard; July 1, 2022, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Fans of all sports and entertainment are different now, they are engrossed in their mobiles and don't seem to be excited to be live at the venue.

At bodybuilding shows there are more people now, but most believe that they themselves are the stars.
      http://betionastore.es/

Comment

Originally posted by Beti ona View Post
        Fans of all sports and entertainment are different now, they are engrossed in their mobiles and don't seem to be excited to be live at the venue.

At bodybuilding shows there are more people now, but most believe that they themselves are the stars.
        Good point and all true.

One thing that's never changed is the middle age , gym rat "know it alls".
        They walk around the expo in an extra tight t-shirt, jeans and a gold chain .
        Of course, they know exactly what drugs work best and what cycles the best pros are on.

During the contest , they know the latest conspiracy theory that caused the judges to pick the winners.

At every ATL Braves game , they put quick shots of random fans up on the Jumbo-tron.
        Most is kids doing stupid dances or drunken idiots being attention whores.

Sometimes they show a guy immersed in his cell phone and totally unaware he's on the big screen.
        That's kinda funny.
        Last edited by Howard; July 1, 2022, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Growing up in new york and being a competitive bodybuilder we lived for the night of champions. my first noc was 1982 that al beckles won. the noc was not just a contest it was a party an event it took won hour just to get into the beacon theatre and when the contest was over one hour just to get out. anybody who was anybody in the bodybuilding world was there it was as if the magazines came to life.there is no contest today that matches that kind of atmosphere and energy.

Comment

Originally posted by nomercy View Post
            Growing up in new york and being a competitive bodybuilder we lived for the night of champions. my first noc was 1982 that al beckles won. the noc was not just a contest it was a party an event it took won hour just to get into the beacon theatre and when the contest was over one hour just to get out. anybody who was anybody in the bodybuilding world was there it was as if the magazines came to life.there is no contest today that matches that kind of atmosphere and energy.
            Cool memory . I went to the 1983 NOC and saw the dawn of Lee Haney's dominance start in pro BB.
            You're 100% correct , the night show was like a rock concert and I loved it.
            In fact, the NOC was in my mind when I posted about night shows being wild , fun and exciting back then.

Comment

Originally posted by Howard View Post

Good point and all true.

One thing that's never changed is the middle age , gym rat "know it alls".
              They walk around the expo in an extra tight t-shirt, jeans and a gold chain .
              Of course, they know exactly what drugs work best and what cycles the best pros are on.

During the contest , they know the latest conspiracy theory that caused the judges to pick the winners.

Lol, the lower the age range, more easily identifiable those gym rats are.

At every ATL Braves game , they put quick shots of random fans up on the Jumbo-tron.
              Most is kids doing stupid dances or drunken idiots being attention whores.

Sometimes they show a guy immersed in his cell phone and totally unaware he's on the big screen.
              That's kinda funny.
              I really don't get the point of getting off your home, buying tickets, beating rush hour traffic, riding out the crowds, you get to the venue... and you start looking at your cell phone, wtf

Comment

I really don't get the point of getting off your home, buying tickets, beating rush hour traffic, riding out the crowds, you get to the venue... and you start looking at your cell phone, wtf
                I hear ya !

I used to have a Braves season ticket, but I now prefer watching games from the comfort of my recliner .
                Plus, any decent "big screen TV" (from Wal-mart) provides better viewing ( compared to being there )
                Granted, you don't get the live game experience, but I'll pass on the drunken idiots and annoying kids, etc.
                Last edited by Howard; July 2, 2022, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Watching sports at home has its advantages, but the point of going to the stadium is to get into the atmosphere and feel the emotion... but if you go and you're just looking at your phone, what's the point?

Comment

Onr thing for sure is The Night Of Champions was the greatest bodybuilding show ever! The intensity of the New Yawk fans created a great atmosphere. Obviously the 90s was the most competitive era ever and will never be seen again. But now there are still guys,Lunsford Clarida ,Curry,Ramy,Hadi and others who get me excited to attend show. I enjoy the in person experience alot more than online. Great conversation with fellow fans and pros! Best aspect of bodybuilder is the pros give the fans time to chat and that's cool! Just glad I have not soured on the sport and still get excited to meet new pros!

Comment

Originally posted by mayor of bodybuilding View Post
                      Onr thing for sure is The Night Of Champions was the greatest bodybuilding show ever! The intensity of the New Yawk fans created a great atmosphere. Obviously the 90s was the most competitive era ever and will never be seen again. But now there are still guys,Lunsford Clarida ,Curry,Ramy,Hadi and others who get me excited to attend show. I enjoy the in person experience alot more than online. Great conversation with fellow fans and pros! Best aspect of bodybuilder is the pros give the fans time to chat and that's cool! Just glad I have not soured on the sport and still get excited to meet new pros!
                      That's what I'm talking about.

The NOC fans really got into cheering, yelling and going crazy during the night show finals.
                      I miss that kind of atmosphere . What the fuk happened to the enthusiastic bodybuilding crowds?

Comment

When was the last time you went to a pro show though Howard?
                        MD Global Muscle Radio ep.40-https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-MIKWx8sAcw&t=5319s

Comment

Originally posted by Giles View Post
                          When was the last time you went to a pro show though Howard?
                          Last year, I went to the Chicago Pro , that was held in Atlanta ( due to the Covid).

Comment

Originally posted by Howard View Post
                            I miss that kind of atmosphere . What the fuk happened to the enthusiastic bodybuilding crowds?
                            In Brazil you will find that same atmosphere, fans are very hot.

Comment

In Brazil you will find that same atmosphere, fans are very hot.
                              Sounds like they need to air condition the contest venues.
                              Hope this helps .

Ok Beti, I was being a smart ass but I couldn't resist.
                              On a serious note, the best course of action is to get feedback from others in the sport about the different contest environments.

Comment

Working...
                              X