Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Hi Everyone. Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Best UK Bodybuilder (other than Dorian)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clairmont and Bertil

It's strange, from Dorian to Flex, UK didn't have pro bodybuilders doing it right, what could be the reason? And in the last few years, all of a sudden, there are a lot of open top level pros
    http://betionastore.es/

Comment

Originally posted by Big Beat View Post

I used to post a lot on boxing boards back in the day and there was alway heated debates over the nationality of fighters.

Reg I would have said is English, he was he was born and breed there and won a Mr Universe prior to moving to South Africa.

Bertil is a little different as he he was not born in England but moved there as a boy.

Beckles was a fully grown man in his 30's before he moved to England so not English for me.

The 'is Lennox Lewis Canadian or English' was always good for a 1000 post thread when message boards were all the rage!
      Caribbean countries ruled under British monarchy that’s why ..Beckles originally from Batbados .Not sure if Barbados guy Patrick Nichols also completed as Brit

Comment

Originally posted by 1Patrick View Post

Caribbean countries ruled under British monarchy . ..Beckles originally from Batbados .Not sure if Barbados guy Patrick Nichols also completed as Brit

Comment

Originally posted by Big Beat View Post

I used to post a lot on boxing boards back in the day and there was alway heated debates over the nationality of fighters.

Reg I would have said is English, he was he was born and breed there and won a Mr Universe prior to moving to South Africa.

Bertil is a little different as he he was not born in England but moved there as a boy.

Beckles was a fully grown man in his 30's before he moved to England so not English for me.

The 'is Lennox Lewis Canadian or English' was always good for a 1000 post thread when message boards were all the rage!
          Reg Park

The first gym I trained at had been a gym since the 1950s. It was ran by two old guys who used to run very early weightlifting/bodybuilding events.The photo is from now. The gym closed when the ajoinging swimming pool closed. It had been open for nearly 60 years! Anyway the gym used to keep old equipment above the mirrors, far ind in this pic.Alex the owner told me that an old bench was kept there since 1955 when Reg Park trained there on a visit. He supposedly did a 500 bench. Anyway, Alex told me to stay behind at closing and took the bench that Reg used down. I then did an impromtu 3/4 sets. So to this day, I can say I benched on a bench that Reg Park used. My first set of chins was on the bar you see here.In it's day the gym was awesome. Small, but a place for everything.

260189-49921166421-ed6a53dea7-b.jpg
          The dumbells were to the left
          260190-49921465182-cb001e4a8d-b.jpg
          My old changing room. I vainly tied to hit shots in that far mirror many times when nobody looked.
          99755_1.jpeg
          *Brotherhood of iron *

Comment

Originally posted by Giles View Post
            Here’s a few others…

- Reg Park (although many consider him more South African)
            - Bertil Fox
            - Al Beckles ​​​​​​
            - Frank Richards
            - Paul Grant
            - Flex Lewis
            - Ernie Taylor (2nd to Cutler at the 2003 British Grand Prix right before his bike accident that ended his career)
            - Kamal (from Libya originally, came to UK in ‘97, moved to Qatar 2003-2014, then back to UK in 2014, then moved to Florida this year)

…we know all the modern guys like Nathan, Hollingshead, Sasan, Sandoe, Samson, Jamie, Marc etc.
            Considering the underground BB scene in the UK and the fact that steroids are semi-legal, it seems like too short a list.

Comment

Damn we forgot Brian Buchanan
              Mark Hector is his heir

Comment

Originally posted by Beti ona View Post

Considering the underground BB scene in the UK and the fact that steroids are semi-legal, it seems like too short a list.
                If you add to the list all the Nabba and great other fed bodybuilders here in the UK the list would be huge mate!

And then there was all the guys that never really made it (so to speak) but had promise, like JD Dowadu, Ian Wadley, Jamo Nazzar, Shaun Davies, Stuart Cameron, Grant Thomas, Eddie Abbew, Eddie Ellwood, Shaun Tavernier, John Hodgson, Dennis Francis, Peter Reid, Gary Lister, Terry Fisher, Jason Corrick, Simon Cohen, Steve Creighton, Leonard St Cyr, Mark Smith, Andy Raynes, Eugene Laviscount, the list goes on and on.

…and don’t forget the World beating natural athletes here in the UK too, there’s LOADS of them from over the years mate.

MD Global Muscle Radio ep.40-https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-MIKWx8sAcw&t=5319s

Comment

Originally posted by Beti ona View Post

Mark Hector is his heir
                  Damn Marc’s legs have come up mate! I think he’s going to shock a few & rub out some bigger names at the Arnold UK.

Comment

Caribbean countries ruled under British monarchy that’s why ..Beckles originally from Batbados .Not sure if Barbados guy Patrick Nichols also completed as Brit
                    Patrick Nicholls was AWESOME! Saw him compete at the British Grand Prix’s, got some nice shots of him in ‘95. Very detailed & thick.

Remember Selwyn Cottrell? Did the Pro Ironman one year, ‘91 I think. CRAZY back & traps! Up there with Joel Stubbs.

…and other guys like Lee Powell & Linvall Miller were impressive too. Zack Khan would have done well if he hadn’t have had his hack squatting accident.

Alvin Small was a beast too. 9 plates a side squats! Super strong guy. Filmed & shot with him many times.

(Still feel like I’ve missed a ton of other great Brits too)

Comment

Patrick Nicholls was AWESOME! Saw him compete at the British Grand Prix’s, got some nice shots of him in ‘95. Very detailed & thick.

Remember Selwyn Cottrell? Did the Pro Ironman one year, ‘91 I think. CRAZY back & traps! Up there with Joel Stubbs.

…and other guys like Lee Powell & Linvall Miller were impressive too. Zack Khan would have done well if he hadn’t have had his hack squatting accident.

Alvin Small was a beast too. 9 plates a side squats! Super strong guy. Filmed & shot with him many times.

(Still feel like I’ve missed a ton of other great Brits too)
                      Alvin disappeared quickly and wasn’t that old either.
                      YES he was a beast I remember videos you did with him.
                      Couple of years ago I’ve been watching some videos of Shaun-Joseph Tavernier he was getting lots of attention in UK TV .

Comment

If you add to the list all the Nabba and great other fed bodybuilders here in the UK the list would be huge mate!

And then there was all the guys that never really made it (so to speak) but had promise, like JD Dowadu, Ian Wadley, Jamo Nazzar, Shaun Davies, Stuart Cameron, Grant Thomas, Eddie Abbew, Eddie Ellwood, Shaun Tavernier, John Hodgson, Dennis Francis, Peter Reid, Gary Lister, Terry Fisher, Jason Corrick, Simon Cohen, Steve Creighton, Leonard St Cyr, Mark Smith, Andy Raynes, Eugene Laviscount, the list goes on and on.

…and don’t forget the World beating natural athletes here in the UK too, there’s LOADS of them from over the years mate.
                        Those are the only names I remember, lol

NABBA was great many decades ago, but I didn't follow the sport at that time, I wasn't even born yet

Comment

Couple of years ago I’ve been watching some videos of Shaun-Joseph Tavernier he was getting lots of attention in UK TV .
                          I did a photo shoot with Alvin in 2018 mate, he and his wife just had a baby and that was it, he disappeared from the scene.

Alvin’s a great guy, we went to the premiere of Avengers Age of Ultron one year & we went to see my favourite comedian (Phil Kay, Scottish lunatic), I had a hypo during the gig, left the room to get some sugars & Phil sang a song about me whilst I was out of the theatre. Came back & Alvin was laughing but I didn’t know why. Ha ha, great night.

Comment

Last time I saw Tavernier he came to one of the Phil Heath UK seminars I ran back in summer 2019 on the Global Muscle Pro Tour.

He was big still, well, fat if I’m completely honest here. But still carrying a ton of size.

He decided to stop competing because he felt the prize money wasn’t worth it.

Comment

Last time I saw Tavernier he came to one of the Phil Heath UK seminars I ran back in summer 2019 on the Global Muscle Pro Tour.

He was big still, well, fat if I’m completely honest here. But still carrying a ton of size.

He decided to stop competing because he felt the prize money wasn’t worth it.
                              No fat man just the water .

Comment

Here’s a few others…

- Reg Park (although many consider him more South African)
                                - Bertil Fox
                                - Al Beckles ​​​​​​
                                - Frank Richards
                                - Paul Grant
                                - Flex Lewis
                                - Ernie Taylor (2nd to Cutler at the 2003 British Grand Prix right before his bike accident that ended his career)
                                - Kamal (from Libya originally, came to UK in ‘97, moved to Qatar 2003-2014, then back to UK in 2014, then moved to Florida this year)

…we know all the modern guys like Nathan, Hollingshead, Sasan, Sandoe, Samson, Jamie, Marc etc.

Frank Richards was one of my favorites "Back in the day" because of the things he came back from.
                                Competed in the past, had bad fall in construction I believe, and came back years and years later with a fused ankle to still look crazy good in his 40s...if I remember correctly? That is when I knew I could do Bodybuilding for life if I wanted to.

Comment

Working...
                                X