Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Hi Everyone. Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Did Dorian ruin bodybuding? Or was it actually Bertil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Dorian ruin bodybuding? Or was it actually Bertil?

For the record, I don't think either did. I definitely don't think Dorian did in 1993 like a lot of people speak about. He was 257 at his very best at 5ft 10. Most bodybuilders in the open will SAY they are heavier than that now at the fortcoming Olympia. What Dorian did do, was to shut down the chances more aesthetic bodybuilders that promised so much. Levrone, Ray and Wheeler would all have Olympia titles if it weren't for Dorian. Some can't forgive him for that.

You could argue that bodybuilding changed ten years earlier in 1983, the year Samir won his Olympia title. Bertil got 5th, but at the time, all anyone spoke about was the raw ripped mass of Bertil.Fox. This was around the time that large parts of audiences would shout 'BEEF' when a particulary massive bodybuilder appeared onstage.I went to my first amateur show in 1984 and I'd already seen the Olympia video with Bertil. The crowd shouted "Beef!" when anyone with mass came onstage. Anyone I watched the video with focused on the Bertil showing. It was brutal, but awesome at the same time.We all thought Bertil should have won and same with the audience in Munich.

A new form of beauty...

This was the door open for the mass monsters. Haney apeased both mass fans and aesthetic fans. To me Haney was an unreal bodybulder. Many Olympia titles and retiring at 31! Dorian kicked the already ajar door wide open and it's never truly closed since. However, it was Bertil that opened it.

bertil6.jpg
    Bertil1.jpgBertil2.jpgbertil3.jpg

Or was it Benny Podda : )

Attached Files
    *Brotherhood of iron *

Good post

For starters, it's bodybuilding. Rewarding big , ripped bodies has always been what the contest sport is about.

But , the judges can pick an overall look instead of a total freak.
    I saw a star, reached for it...and MISSED

Comment

Originally posted by Howard View Post
      Good post

For starters, it's bodybuilding. Rewarding big , ripped bodies has always been what the contest sport is about.

But , the judges can pick an overall look instead of a total freak.
      I think the modern era is now considering shape, proportion etc much more than 15 yrs ago. I think that classic has had a knock on effect. Brandon winning. Rhoden winning. Ramy is a halfway house. Many of the upcoming guys are showing promise.

Grimek vs Reeves... Think that was the 50s

*Brotherhood of iron *

Comment

Interesting post.

Bertil was the first mass monster, maybe back was behind his massive traps, chest, shoulders and arms, but he was really undervalued in placements.

Mass monsters will eventually lose their dominant look and start looking like crap, so it's time for the other guys with better lines.
        http://betionastore.es/

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeUK View Post

I think the modern era is now considering shape, proportion etc much more than 15 yrs ago. I think that classic has had a knock on effect. Brandon winning. Rhoden winning. Ramy is a halfway house. Many of the upcoming guys are showing promise.

Grimek vs Reeves... Think that was the 50s
          Deciding which type is best goes to the heart of contest judging.
          Last edited by Howard; November 20, 2022, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Beti ona View Post
            Interesting post.

Bertil was the first mass monster, maybe back was behind his massive traps, chest, shoulders and arms, but he was really undervalued in placements.

Mass monsters will eventually lose their dominant look and start looking like crap, so it's time for the other guys with better lines.
            Sergio and Arnold could be considered the original mass monsters

Within 2 years after Arnold stepped aside in '75 , we had Zane winning 3 straight with his smaller, ripped and classic physique.

In the current line up of top pros , I think Lunsford is the ideal balance of size, shape and muscularity.

Comment

He did not ruin bodybuilding ,he brought size to the new level ,he had striations in his shoulders,controlled gut no funky calves or other body parts .People say Flex was epitome of BB .Questionable shoulders,arms and calves ,gyno and guts that's what ruined bodybuilding.

Comment

Benny Podda!!! Name is a blast from the damn past George!

Answer on Dorian is no he didn't ruin anything. In fact I think it is the opposite. He set a bar for applying singular focus to being the best at something and dedicating your whole being to that end. If current pros applied that blueprint to their approach you might see a far different set of physiques on the stage regularly.

Comment

Sergio and Arnold could be considered the original mass monsters

Within 2 years after Arnold stepped aside in '75 , we had Zane winning 3 straight with his smaller, ripped and classic physique.

In the current line up of top pros , I think Lunsford is the ideal balance of size, shape and muscularity.
                  He could blow a LOT of big names away IF he avoids the onstage moderate let downs compared to social media photos/videos of the past.
                  *Brotherhood of iron *

Comment

Originally posted by Bestia View Post
                    Benny Podda!!! Name is a blast from the damn past George!

Answer on Dorian is no he didn't ruin anything. In fact I think it is the opposite. He set a bar for applying singular focus to being the best at something and dedicating your whole being to that end. If current pros applied that blueprint to their approach you might see a far different set of physiques on the stage regularly.
                    He stuck in my head : ) I almost posted a photo of him.

The reason I bring Dorian up is that it often said that once he arrived bodybuilding was just mass monsters. All I wanted to do is outline that the roots of appreciating mass was way earlier. I better go find a pic of Benny

benny-podda.jpg
                    *Brotherhood of iron *

Comment

Originally posted by 1Patrick View Post
                      He did not ruin bodybuilding ,he brought size to the new level ,he had striations in his shoulders,controlled gut no funky calves or other body parts .People say Flex was epitome of BB .Questionable shoulders,arms and calves ,gyno and guts that's what ruined bodybuilding.
                      Thankfully we gettting away from the big gut thing.
                      I don't think calfs are even judged nowadays.
                      *Brotherhood of iron *

Comment

Originally posted by Bestia View Post
                        http://betionastore.es/

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeUK View Post

He stuck in my head : ) I almost posted a photo of him.

The reason I bring Dorian up is that it often said that once he arrived bodybuilding was just mass monsters. All I wanted to do is outline that the roots of appreciating mass was way earlier. I better go find a pic of Benny

benny-podda.jpg
                          Benny Poda was a freak
                          Last edited by Howard; November 21, 2022, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Great post, George.

-David

Comment

Benny Poda won the 1st contest I entered.
                              He won the open men at the 1978 Mr Eastern Seaboard
                              He used to give his self-nose bleeds
                              SMOKE WEED EVERYDAY
                              2016 NBA Champs...Cleveland Cavs

Comment

Working...
                              X