Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Joe Weider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe Weider

All of us know and realize just what Joe did for bodybuilding. Some good, some not so good but he was literally, the GODFATHER of bodybuilding.

Do you think the guys (and girls) competing now, even know who Joe is and what he did for our sport?
    SMOKE WEED EVERYDAY
    2016 NBA Champs...Cleveland Cavs

Only the ones that don't do the sport as a means to an end. For the folks that chew iron for the fun and challenge of it and hold on to that purity from when they picked up a weight - they know. When something calls to you in a voice that won't be ignored you need to know where it came from originally and who started it. The history and origins give meaning to the passion.

I know that sounds cheesy but it is the only way I can explain what it was like for me and why I care about the history

Comment

Originally posted by Bestia View Post
      Only the ones that don't do the sport as a means to an end. For the folks that chew iron for the fun and challenge of it and hold on to that purity from when they picked up a weight - they know. When something calls to you in a voice that won't be ignored you need to know where it came from originally and who started it. The history and origins give meaning to the passion.

I know that sounds cheesy but it is the only way I can explain what it was like for me and why I care about the history
      SMOKE WEED EVERYDAY

Comment

Joe could make you or break you depending if he liked you or not. I have heard on other podcasts some of the older bbers there horror stories with joe telling tony pearson he will not win another show lance dreher the same thing unless he moves to california. danny padilla how joe did not give them money to fly to the mr universe and left them stranded.

Comment

Only the unbridled idiots have no interest in learning from pioneers.

Joe's magazines were for many the only source of connection and inspiration to learn about the sport of iron and all his heroes.
          http://betionastore.es/

Comment

I'm going most competitors under 30 don't know who Joe really was. Some may know the name and have a vague idea of what Joe actually did. It's the same in most sports gen z couldn't be bother with the past. They've had their attention focused on social media and liked most of their lives.

Comment

Most are clueless. He transformed bodybuilding from the Hoffman days
              To win a show
              You had to
              - Have a good physique
              - Get scored on your interview
              - Get points for atletic capability (onstage)
              - Hoffman had shitty racial views
              *Brotherhood of iron *

Comment

Did Weider create the bodybuilding craze, or did he just read the writing on the wall and invest accordingly?

Weiders would not have had the empire they amassed without Hoffman's contributions to physical culture. Hoffman used the sport of weightlifting to bring forth the spectacle of Bodybuilding which was a sideshow event up to that time. Weider made it more mainstream.

Bob Hoffman was called "The Father of Weightlifting". Without his financial backing there would never have been much in the way of American Olympic lifting. Before Hoffman-nothing. After Hoffman-nothing.

Joe Weider, known popularly as "The Trainer of Champions", would better be known as "The Father of Bodybuilding". He promoted it, popularized it, and monetized it.

They both deserve their respective places in The Iron Game.

Comment

Joe obviously did a LOT for the sport but like Stan Lee at Marvel he took a lot of credit for others work (Weider principles etc), but, without him and Ben the sport wouldn’t be anywhere near what it became.

The sport definitely misses him. But now we have Jake and Steve Blechman, two people that really don’t get nearly enough credit.
                  MD Global Muscle Radio ep.40-https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-MIKWx8sAcw&t=5319s

Comment

Originally posted by Giles View Post
                    Joe obviously did a LOT for the sport but like Stan Lee at Marvel he took a lot of credit for others work (Weider principles etc), but, without him and Ben the sport wouldn’t be anywhere near what it became.

The sport definitely misses him. But now we have Jake and Steve Blechman, two people that really don’t get nearly enough credit.
                    Blechman is the last man standing through ALL the changes in the sport. Ironman, Flex, Womens Physique World (yummy), M&F are all gone, but MD is still kickin!

Jake Wood is our Lord and Savior!
                    SMOKE WEED EVERYDAY

Comment

Originally posted by Giles View Post

You will hardly find someone successful or well-known in an industry who has not stolen or benefited from the partial or total work of others. This also occurs in the sciences, arts, philosophy, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by Beti ona View Post
                        Did Weider create the bodybuilding craze, or did he just read the writing on the wall and invest accordingly?

Weiders would not have had the empire they amassed without Hoffman's contributions to physical culture. Hoffman used the sport of weightlifting to bring forth the spectacle of Bodybuilding which was a sideshow event up to that time. Weider made it more mainstream.

Bob Hoffman was called "The Father of Weightlifting". Without his financial backing there would never have been much in the way of American Olympic lifting. Before Hoffman-nothing. After Hoffman-nothing.

Joe Weider, known popularly as "The Trainer of Champions", would better be known as "The Father of Bodybuilding". He promoted it, popularized it, and monetized it.

They both deserve their respective places in The Iron Game.
                        He call himself that? All I know is that he didn't like bodybuilding and tollerated it for the benefit of his other ventures. Weightlifting? I'm a bodybuilder and a bodybuilding fan. I'm glad that guys don't have to do some athletic component. I'm glad they don't have to do an interview (this relegated sergio several spot when he was by far best physique) and I'm glad you can win shows and be any colour. We are all brothers in this, but Hoffman was more 'selective'..
                        *Brotherhood of iron *

Comment

Weider made things more mainstream. He did a lot of merchandising with his name: clothing, supplements, equipment, magazines... He even coined a name for himself ¨The Master Blaster¨.

Comment

Originally posted by bigmikecox View Post
                            All of us know and realize just what Joe did for bodybuilding. Some good, some not so good but he was literally, the GODFATHER of bodybuilding.

Do you think the guys (and girls) competing now, even know who Joe is and what he did for our sport?
                            I doubt it and may ask some athletes at the Arnold, Do you miss you Weider? Joe used to attended the NOC and you could see how passion for bodybuilding. It's obvious he has left a huge void,look at this years Olympia, mens open was treated like dirt!

Comment

Originally posted by mayor of bodybuilding View Post

I doubt it and may ask some athletes at the Arnold, Do you miss you Weider? Joe used to attended the NOC and you could see how passion for bodybuilding. It's obvious he has left a huge void,look at this years Olympia, mens open was treated like dirt!
                              We have Jake now.

That’s a very good replacement. He’s a very good man and a huge fan of bodybuilding, just like Joe.
                              MD Global Muscle Radio ep.40-https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-MIKWx8sAcw&t=5319s

Comment

Working...
                              X