Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Watching some old Olympia footage and...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watching some old Olympia footage and...

2010 Phil Heath is one of the best physiques I have ever seen. I don't think I appreciated it enough at the time. By far his best. I was not a fan while he was competing - especially during his later years, but that year, that showing, he was GREAT.

Best most balanced back double bicep pose ever. 2010 he was just a lights out showing.

A lot of fans didn't like Heath during his prime because of his personality, image and training style .

Heath had an incredible pro physique worthy of his many Mr Olympia wins .

A lot of hardcore BB fans can easily favor an image that creates a hardcore persona over a superior physique.

Yates barely said much to fans and often grunted short replies but his " shadow" image was beloved by many fans .

A lot of hardcore bodybuilders relate to that introverted monster training in some dark , dank dungeon..

I understand that but prefer the more friendly , extroverted pros like Jay Cutler.
    I saw a star, reached for it...and MISSED

Comment

I am the opposite and prefer the brooding cellar dweller approach. I can always appreciate a great physique and in 2010 Phil Heath showed one of the all time best physiques.

Comment

Phil was under appreciated. He was in a tough spot following Ronnie and Jay. Ronnie is the goat and Jay is the longer time number two who pushed the goat. Both were fan favorites. Phil was prickly and he got boring

Comment

Originally posted by Griff11 View Post
          Phil was under appreciated. He was in a tough spot following Ronnie and Jay. Ronnie is the goat and Jay is the longer time number two who pushed the goat. Both were fan favorites. Phil was prickly and he got boring
          I really think it was primarily this -- following Ronnie. At least, that's why I under-appreciated him. After watching the sport progress from Haney to Dorian to Ronnie, I had a hard time "getting into" Jay as a champ. (All the "fridge", "he's soft", etc. Plus, his training wasn't freaky like Dorian or Ronnie's.) Then, going from Jay to Heath, to me, felt like a FURTHER step backwards -- not only "not a dominant monster who trains like a madman", but now also shorter and smaller-statured, etc.

Looking back, Phil definitely has the prettier/more complete physique out of all of them. He lacked the "shock and awe" and "brutality" of Coleman and Yates, so to me at the time, didn't feel like the rightful heir to "the most dominant man in the universe" title. But judging him just as a "bodybuilder", yeah, he was pretty amazing.

-David

Comment

Originally posted by Bestia View Post
            I am the opposite and prefer the brooding cellar dweller approach. I can always appreciate a great physique and in 2010 Phil Heath showed one of the all time best physiques.
            I never met you, so it may not apply. BUT, I think the majority of hardcore bodybuilders are a "Yates personality " type.
            So, they'd relate more to someone like them.

I respected Yates, and bought his original " Blood and Guts " VHS training video. ( Yup it was from the 90's) .
            I lined up to buy an autographed 8x10 off him at the 1995 NPC Nationals ( He guest posed and brought down the house )
            So yes, I respected and admired Yates , but, I didn't relate to his personality.

To be candid, I never " got it" when it came to the scowling, mean looking bodybuilder in a hoodie.
            Universal / Animal supps, had a successful marketing campaign using that image. I think they still do ?

I'm the outgoing type that walks around an expo while joking, laughing and talking to anyone I encounter .
            I honestly think the image we relate to, has a lot to do with our own personality.
            It's a mistake to draw more conclusions about people , based on what image they prefer
            Last edited by Howard; January 19, 2023, 11:32 PM.
            I saw a star, reached for it...and MISSED

Comment

I’m not a good judge of physiques cause I find it confusing but my favourite physique of all time is Ronnie Coleman. Heath is very awesome too
              The world's best spoon's player

Comment

Originally posted by Griff11 View Post
                Yep Phil's problem was that he ascended right after Cutler, who has a very different persona and thus was a hard act to follow. Jay is just about the perfect ambassador for the sport. Saw him guest pose many times and he was always so engaging with the fans. He was like that even before he made it to the top.
                Going to the gym does not make me look good; I make my gym look good.

Comment

Phil always deserved his wins. Even when he lost to Rhoden it was damned close.

What he lacked was that he didn't inspire. We ALL train in gyms. Just like the pros do. We love it if the people we look up to also do special things to get there.

Ronnie footage is classic and people still use his catchphrases.

Dorian and Blood and Guts... I still hear of people rewatching it and being inspired.

Anyone have the urge to watch a Phil training video?
                  *Brotherhood of iron *

Comment

I was at the 2010 Olympia reporting for bodybuilding.com, Phil had that one EASY!

Lee Haney, sat behind me, disagreed, saying he thought Jay deserved the win.

I even had Branch & Dexter ahead of Jay that weekend!
                    MD Global Muscle Radio ep.40-https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-MIKWx8sAcw&t=5319s

Comment

Originally posted by daciz2 View Post
                      I’m not a good judge of physiques cause I find it confusing but my favourite physique of all time is Ronnie Coleman. Heath is very awesome too
                      Let's be clear - the greatest stage physique of all time was Ronnie Coleman. Whether you prefer the 98, 99, or 03 version. Greatest combination of size, symmetry, conditioning.

My point of the thread was in 2010 Phil brought a physique that is prob one of the 3 or 4 greatest stage appearances ever.

You say you aren't a very good judge of physiques but you have Ronnie as the greatest - I think you are just fine evaluating

Comment

You say you aren't a very good judge of physiques but you have Ronnie as the greatest - I think you are just fine evaluating
                        Tnx! I’ve never been to a show or saw a pro physique in real life. I am also partial to Frank Zane tho too
                        The world's best spoon's player

Comment

2010 Phil Heath is one of the best physiques I have ever seen. I don't think I appreciated it enough at the time. By far his best. I was not a fan while he was competing - especially during his later years, but that year, that showing, he was GREAT.

Best most balanced back double bicep pose ever. 2010 he was just a lights out showing.
                          Fans didnt really appreciate Heath until he was retired.
                          SMOKE WEED EVERYDAY
                          2016 NBA Champs...Cleveland Cavs

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeUK View Post
                            Phil always deserved his wins. Even when he lost to Rhoden it was damned close.

What he lacked was that he didn't inspire. We ALL train in gyms. Just like the pros do. We love it if the people we look up to also do special things to get there.

Ronnie footage is classic and people still use his catchphrases.

Dorian and Blood and Guts... I still hear of people rewatching it and being inspired.

Anyone have the urge to watch a Phil training video?
                            I like his vids bc he was just a freak! Ronnie and Dorian had some crazy lifts and Ronnie's physique in the Cost of Redemption was crazy, but when Phil was in contest shape, you could not believe how round and full he was.
                            SMOKE WEED EVERYDAY

Comment

Let's be clear - the greatest stage physique of all time was Ronnie Coleman. Whether you prefer the 98, 99, or 03 version. Greatest combination of size, symmetry, conditioning.

My point of the thread was in 2010 Phil brought a physique that is prob one of the 3 or 4 greatest stage appearances ever.

2010 was amazing.

2011 was one the best looks the sport has seen
                              SMOKE WEED EVERYDAY

Comment

Working...
                              X