Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Feeling guilty as a bodybuilding fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeling guilty as a bodybuilding fan

Not sure if anyone else can relate but I'm feeling a little guilty lately as a bodybuilding fan .
    There is more bodybuilding information and incredible pro contests now with lots of incredible physiques now .
    I know, I should be more excited than ever as a bodybuilding fan...but I'm not

I don't want to ramble and bore everyone, so I'll leave it at that and welcome any feedback or personal insights ,etc

Thanks for letting me share .
    Last edited by Howard; August 26, 2023, 08:34 PM.
    I saw a star, reached for it...and MISSED

Hard to be excited about NPC because there is no communication or press about the shows and very little amateur talent. The pro level, outside of the O, the rest is just details until more quality competitors compete more regularly

Comment

i haven't been this excited in a long time . tons of great content on youtube , screw mainstream tv and espn ! the upcoming olympia is gonna be sick !

Comment

It's easy for me to be excited about bodybuilding, it's the only sport that I follow or am interested in, I don't play video games and the movies suck more and more with all the woke agenda and lousy quality products.

There is a lot of content online in the form of podcasts and videos, perhaps too much, to the point of feeling overwhelmed.
        http://betionastore.es/

Comment

Originally posted by Bestia View Post
          Hard to be excited about NPC because there is no communication or press about the shows and very little amateur talent. The pro level, outside of the O, the rest is just details until more quality competitors compete more regularly
          I dont even know when the National show are anymore!!! No more excitement for those shows.

Pro shows, yes. Love them. Even with all the issues we dicuss, when you go see the show, the excitement is still there! Cant wait until the Olympia
          SMOKE WEED EVERYDAY
          2016 NBA Champs...Cleveland Cavs

Comment

"I don't want to ramble and bore everyone, so I'll leave it at that and welcome any feedback or personal insights ,etc"

Feedback as requested:

This thread itself is rambling and boring. (Lol, had to do it...)

I don't know Howard, you're one of the more internally-conflicted people I have ever talked to who is a bodybuilding fan. The rest of us bitch and grip about the political machine, but we don't bitch and grip about how the actual sport itself is -- the fact that drugs are omnipresent -- and most of us seem to still follow the sport quite a bit, even if we don't delve into stuff on the level we did a decade ago (following the hype up to nationals etc.). You seem to pine for your version of bodybuilding, much like Arnold does, but it was never that, even when you competed -- bodybuilding IS drugs, it's LOTS of drugs, it always has been -- so why do you even follow the IFBB instead of a natty federation?

That part itself seems to be internal conflict man. You like and appreciate the freaks, you just don't seem comfortable with them doing what is required to be a freak in the first place. I personally don't get that. It's like being a NASCAR fan and then constantly saying the drivers shouldn't drive faster than 60 MPH. Dig it or don't dig it, it is what it is, and always has been.

For me, the "interesting conversation" is always what bodybuilding should be -- what is prized and what is not, and why -- do we reward a 270lbs block of granite who looks like he was pieced together in a lab with left over body parts (Nick Walker) -- do we reward an athletic esthetic build who isn't quite as dense and thick (Andrew Jacked) -- do we give equal billing to shorter-yet-developed physiques (Shawn Clarida/Derek Lunsford) or do we allow ourselves to be bowled over by the larger frame that comes off as more imposing (Samson/Jacked) -- and so on.

I have always seen that last part as the "fun" of being a fan -- and why it's fun to engage on this message board. I think those questions are the questions that nobody in the upper ranks of the pro league has ever explicitly addressed, it's all spoken as implicit truth and leads to most of the confusion and debate in this "sport".
            www.DavidJohnstonTraining.com

Comment

Originally posted by bigmikecox View Post

I dont even know when the National show are anymore!!! No more excitement for those shows.

Pro shows, yes. Love them. Even with all the issues we dicuss, when you go see the show, the excitement is still there! Cant wait until the Olympia
              I can remember sitting in the crowd at local, regional, and national level shows shouting support for people I was there supporting or who I thought deserved to win their class, etc. The atmosphere when you have several factions of supporters shouting and cheering during mandatories is one of the greatest things about bodybuilding from both a fan and competitor standpoint.

It feels like this is gone - evaporated as part of a time now passed

Comment

And addendum: if you feel guilty, why still follow it at all, or come here at all -- why not take a break for a while, see how that feels, see if you feel compelled to return after 6 months?

I stopped competing in 2016. Still prepped competitors.

When Dallas passed in 2017 I started to grow really unsettled with the sport -- how rampant the drug use was becoming among very young people (not just Dallas, but everything you see on social media -- and that I saw in person -- 17 year olds who have never even worked out, but want to start taking tren, bullshit like that). I was kinda' disgusted that Dallas's passing was such a big deal, and the IFBB basically kept their mouths shut about it, nobody really took a stand and tried to do anything.

So by 2018, I realized that BBing wasn't leaving a good taste in my mouth -- and I pretty much stopped following it for 2 years or so -- never came here, unfollowed almost all of it on IG and didn't watch much on YT. I needed a break -- almost 10 years of seeing the sport devolve into a glam pageant and rush-to-drug-use, proper training and suffering shuffled to the backburner -- the values of the sport were no longer the core values that appealed to me. So simple solution, walk away for a while, then see if you get the itch to come back later?

But feeling guilty -- why, man? I loved intense heavy metal growing up, a little less so as I get older, and I never "feel guilty" for my musical preferences. It's a big wide world full of tons of interesting stuff to fill your time and interest with; if BBing is no longer doing that for you, go do stuff instead that is feeding your spirit, bodybuilding is mostly a quagmire of filth when it comes right down to it. We just happen to enjoy that quagmire, for some sick reason.

Comment

Originally posted by lifepulse View Post
                  And addendum: if you feel guilty, why still follow it at all, or come here at all -- why not take a break for a while, see how that feels, see if you feel compelled to return after 6 months?

I stopped competing in 2016. Still prepped competitors.

When Dallas passed in 2017 I started to grow really unsettled with the sport -- how rampant the drug use was becoming among very young people (not just Dallas, but everything you see on social media -- and that I saw in person -- 17 year olds who have never even worked out, but want to start taking tren, bullshit like that). I was kinda' disgusted that Dallas's passing was such a big deal, and the IFBB basically kept their mouths shut about it, nobody really took a stand and tried to do anything.

So by 2018, I realized that BBing wasn't leaving a good taste in my mouth -- and I pretty much stopped following it for 2 years or so -- never came here, unfollowed almost all of it on IG and didn't watch much on YT. I needed a break -- almost 10 years of seeing the sport devolve into a glam pageant and rush-to-drug-use, proper training and suffering shuffled to the backburner -- the values of the sport were no longer the core values that appealed to me. So simple solution, walk away for a while, then see if you get the itch to come back later?

But feeling guilty -- why, man? I loved intense heavy metal growing up, a little less so as I get older, and I never "feel guilty" for my musical preferences. It's a big wide world full of tons of interesting stuff to fill your time and interest with; if BBing is no longer doing that for you, go do stuff instead that is feeding your spirit, bodybuilding is mostly a quagmire of filth when it comes right down to it. We just happen to enjoy that quagmire, for some sick reason.
                  Great posts .

You're right about me needing to take a break and know that bodybuilding will still.be there , if I decide to come back .

Plus , people , places and organizations change over time .
                  I need to accept that and not feel.guilty .

A sincere thanks to you and everyone who added some feedback. I read every word of each reply and it helped me better understand my inner conflict .

Comment

Originally posted by Bestia View Post

I can remember sitting in the crowd at local, regional, and national level shows shouting support for people I was there supporting or who I thought deserved to win their class, etc. The atmosphere when you have several factions of supporters shouting and cheering during mandatories is one of the greatest things about bodybuilding from both a fan and competitor standpoint.

It feels like this is gone - evaporated as part of a time now passed
                    Great post

I can totally relate.

Comment

Originally posted by Howard View Post

Great posts .

You're right about me needing to take a break and know that bodybuilding will still.be there , if I decide to come back .

Plus , people , places and organizations change over time .
                      I need to accept that and not feel.guilty .

A sincere thanks to you and everyone who added some feedback. I read every word of each reply and it helped me better understand my inner conflict .
                      I feel at times that the more it's being broadcast and pushed via media sources -- and the more people that do it recreationally -- kinda' the less special it feels to me. Arnold once compared seeing a monster BBer to seeing a lion or tiger at the zoo, you don't go to the zoo to see kittens and puppies, you go to see something truly unique and special that you don't see every day. Now that every 3rd person in the gym is competing, it's sort of becoming less special it seems -- there are still as many lions and tigers as there used to be, but there are also a bunch of overgrown pussy cats calling themselves lions and tigers, and that itself is kinda' exhausting and off-putting.

Just come to the boards to have fun and talk shop in the abstract, stay away from the modern scene -- following along with the Olympia and the Arnold, the rest of it is pretty meaningless at this point. So I don't NOT agree with your sentiments one bit.

Comment

I feel at times that the more it's being broadcast and pushed via media sources -- and the more people that do it recreationally -- kinda' the less special it feels to me. Arnold once compared seeing a monster BBer to seeing a lion or tiger at the zoo, you don't go to the zoo to see kittens and puppies, you go to see something truly unique and special that you don't see every day. Now that every 3rd person in the gym is competing, it's sort of becoming less special it seems -- there are still as many lions and tigers as there used to be, but there are also a bunch of overgrown pussy cats calling themselves lions and tigers, and that itself is kinda' exhausting and off-putting.

Just come to the boards to have fun and talk shop in the abstract, stay away from the modern scene -- following along with the Olympia and the Arnold, the rest of it is pretty meaningless at this point. So I don't NOT agree with your sentiments one bit.
                        I'll likely do some form.of what you suggested.

For example, during this past week, I watched most of the world track and field championship on USA , CNBC and NBC .

I enjoyed watching all the difference events and was impressed by some incredible athletic performances.

But , I'm not interested in competing in masters track now or traveling to see a major track meet .

I'll probably buy the Olympia PPV webstream and check out the pro contest videos. I'll still workout because I love training but I won't travel to see a pro contest or get too serious or involved with any forum .

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Howard View Post
                          Not sure if anyone else can relate but I'm feeling a little guilty lately as a bodybuilding fan .
                          There is more bodybuilding information and incredible pro contests now with lots of incredible physiques now .
                          I know, I should be more excited than ever as a bodybuilding fan...but I'm not

I don't want to ramble and bore everyone, so I'll leave it at that and welcome any feedback or personal insights ,etc

Thanks for letting me share .
                          I felt bad years ago about the shit guys have to take to please fans. Seems silly but it crossed my mind. As for your Mr Woe is me Howard lol. A weekend in Columbus will get you back on track. At 57. I love the shows because I enjoy the people in the sport. The brotherhood of bodybuilding is very unique. I will throw in a Howard shirt for good measure. And you get to see me act the fool and loving it! No shame in my Schmoe game!

Comment

Originally posted by mayor of bodybuilding View Post
                            I felt bad years ago about the shit guys have to take to please fans. Seems silly but it crossed my mind. As for your Mr Woe is me Howard lol. A weekend in Columbus will get you back on track. At 57. I love the shows because I enjoy the people in the sport. The brotherhood of bodybuilding is very unique. I will throw in a Howard shirt for good measure. And you get to see me act the fool and loving it! No shame in my Schmoe game!
                            I hear ya and thanks for the thoughtful feedback.

For me , my main issue has little to do with the current physiques or extreme drug use.

It's mostly about having the bodybuilders reduced to being just one of several different physique type divisions.

For me , this multi division format changed the contest atmosphere for fans .

Comment

"I don't want to ramble and bore everyone, so I'll leave it at that and welcome any feedback or personal insights ,etc"

You like and appreciate the freaks, you just don't seem comfortable with them doing what is required to be a freak in the first place.

For me, the "interesting conversation" is always what bodybuilding should be -- what is prized and what is not, and why -- I think those questions are the questions that nobody in the upper ranks of the pro league has ever explicitly addressed, it's all spoken as implicit truth and leads to most of the confusion and debate in this "sport".
                              1. I'm all for building and rewarding a freakish physique , BUT only done within the official rules and standards.
                              To me , the drug enhanced free for all is like swimming the 100 m.freestyle with big flippers and webbed water mits .

2.Long before the myriad of non-bodybuilding divisions were formed , few enforced rules or consistent standards existed .

If bodybuilding ever wants to be taken seriously by the sports media , we first need serious , clear rules applied to what's allowed and how it's judged...and enforce it .

I've long known that the majority within contest bodybuilding don't want clear , enforced rules and standards.

C'mon now , most hardcore bodybuilders would vehemently reject ANY restrictions on drug enhancement.

It's difficult to govern any group that refuses to obey rules they oppose .
                              Last edited by Howard; August 27, 2023, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X