Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Any beginners need help, just ask

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by scoobysnacks View Post
    Hey alex, did you forget hamis? Or am I missing something?

Yeah good one there, YOU GOT ME, i forgot hams
    I dont do hams after quads, i just want to hit quads hard, then some calves, But I do hammies on shoulder days. They can be done on other days, but thats just how i do it. I do not suggest doing quads, calves and hams on the same day.
    Get shredded! check out the transformations at
    www.prepbyalex.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Alex A View Post
      I would seriously consider doing your cardio first thing in the morning since you can eat a nice amount of carbs after you do your cardio. Also you get the cardio out of the way before you go to the gym.
      Alex,

I do my cardio first thing in the morning when my previous day's work doesn't get in the way.

It is common for me to be at work until way after midnight and I have to be back at work no later than 9AM.

I find it much easier to do my cardio before I go to bed since I'm wired and wide awake then try and get up and do it when running off that little amount of sleep.

I typically average about 4-5 hours of sleep during the week and 12 during the weekends.

I know it's bad (even when you aren't talking about bodybuilding), but my line (IT Consulting) of work is feast and famine. When it's feast time, lots of work very little sleep.

Comment

• Originally posted by grumpwurst View Post
        Alex,

I do my cardio first thing in the morning when my previous day's work doesn't get in the way.

It is common for me to be at work until way after midnight and I have to be back at work no later than 9AM.

I find it much easier to do my cardio before I go to bed since I'm wired and wide awake then try and get up and do it when running off that little amount of sleep.

I typically average about 4-5 hours of sleep during the week and 12 during the weekends.

I know it's bad (even when you aren't talking about bodybuilding), but my line (IT Consulting) of work is feast and famine. When it's feast time, lots of work very little sleep.
        I would stick to the cardio at night, especially if it doesnt keep you up and a small serving of some carbs is not going to kill you. See what happens. Do eat though for sure, some protein and a small amount of carbs. HOpe that helps
        www.prepbyalex.com

Comment

• Best thread on the net.

Fellas eat up any info alex a is giving out, he knows his shit.

I hear he's training some black dude for a show later in the year, his glutes will be shredded and everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by flexingtonsteele View Post
            Best thread on the net.

Fellas eat up any info alex a is giving out, he knows his shit.

I hear he's training some black dude for a show later in the year, his glutes will be shredded and everything.
            Sure will be! Hes some black dude who is natural and in pretty good shape already.
            Im going to get his bodyfat to the lowest level you can imagine. hes doing a natural show and should kick ass due to his symetry and condition. He is highly motivated and thats what it takes so he will do just fine.

Im currently helping competitors doing the Emerald Cup, Junior Cal, NPC Los Angeles, Gopher States and Junior Nationals. Im keeping busy but its all fun an good. I will keep you all posted on how things are going. This is a learning experience for everyone! Take care and thanks for supporting my thread!
            alex
            Attached Files
            www.prepbyalex.com

Comment

• Anyone have shows upcoming and want to share their progress pics with me through email. just drop me a line.
              I have a pretty good eye for conditioning. I Know even myself during prep I seek the advise of others to gage where I am at during my prep. So much is at stake, you cant risk being silent and not getting some opinions and sometimes its better than posting on the boards.
              www.prepbyalex.com

Comment

Anyone have shows upcoming and want to share their progress pics with me through email. just drop me a line.
                I have a pretty good eye for conditioning. I Know even myself during prep I seek the advise of others to gage where I am at during my prep. So much is at stake, you cant risk being silent and not getting some opinions and sometimes its better than posting on the boards.
                Alex,

I'm finally getting around to pulling pictures off my camera from 13 and 9 weeks out. There were quite a few (got my wife to take pictures). I'm going to upload them to my online web album and e-mail you a link to look at.

I'm having to convert them to B&W because A) the lighting was harsh fluorescent B) I have brilliantly white skin (damn Scotch-Irish genetics) and I only have 2 colors white or burnt.

The B&W makes it easier to see any definition I might have.

Just giving you a heads up that I'll be firing off an e-mail sometime in the next day or so (sometime this weekend).

I'm now 7 weeks out, but I don't have any more recent pics than from a week ago. It's hard to find people to take pictures

Comment

• Originally posted by grumpwurst View Post
                  Alex,

I'm finally getting around to pulling pictures off my camera from 13 and 9 weeks out. There were quite a few (got my wife to take pictures). I'm going to upload them to my online web album and e-mail you a link to look at.

I'm having to convert them to B&W because A) the lighting was harsh fluorescent B) I have brilliantly white skin (damn Scotch-Irish genetics) and I only have 2 colors white or burnt.

The B&W makes it easier to see any definition I might have.

Just giving you a heads up that I'll be firing off an e-mail sometime in the next day or so (sometime this weekend).

I'm now 7 weeks out, but I don't have any more recent pics than from a week ago. It's hard to find people to take pictures
                  Sure thing man! im lucky, my wife is a photographer and a good one. Send them when you can. Take care alex
                  www.prepbyalex.com

Comment

Sure thing man! im lucky, my wife is a photographer and a good one. Send them when you can. Take care alex
                    BTW, I sent you an e-mail just in case it gets caught by your SPAM catcher.

I must say, having a spouse that is a photographer is a godsend. It's hard enough to take good pictures of people in normal situations let alone all ripped up with harsh lighting on the stage and dark conditions in the audience.

Comment

• Somewhat different question

Alex,

I am not espcially a beginner, but I have never attained my goals either. I am also coming back after a number of months off. Maybe you can help me get to where I need to be. A little about me - I am 33 with 11 years in the military, so I am reasonably fit (i.e. I can pass a physical readiness test consisting of pushups, situps, and a 1.5 mile run better, and do so better than 65-70% of my peers). I need a program to get stronger, lose fat (I fluctuate between a 36" and a 41" waist depending on diet and activity level - my goal is a 32" waist), and allows me to maintain my running speed (I run 5-6 times a week, mostly just a comfortable pace, but sometimes I'll take my dog and throw in a couple of burst of speed to up the intensity) and to practice swimming twice a week in the evenings (I eventually want to go to diving school in the navy to be a ship's diver).

I have an 1 to 1.5 hours 4-5 times per week to lift in. I'm not so much looking to build bulk, but to get denser/stronger/tighter if you know what I mean. Some size wouldn't be bad.

If you have any questions or more info, feel free to ask.

Dustin
                      Dustin
                      "The highest reward for a person's toil is not what they get for it, but what they become by it."
                      John Ruskin

Comment

• Alex, first of all I just want to say thank you for taking the time to do this thread. It is extremely helpful. I just read through the whole thing & learned a lot.
                        I am looking to diet with down with carbs this time around like I see you usually do & recommend. I have done 2 shows w& dieted with very little to no carbs. I am female as you can tell by the avatar. I have worked my butt of to put on muscle & I feel when I have dieted down without the carbs I have lost muscle & come in looking kinda stringy. I carb deplete & load before show, which helps, but I think the main problem is I eat away my muscle when dieting. I also feel like complete crap the whole time! I have used the cut diet. I don't know if you are familiar with this. It is basically the keto diet with a refeed every 18th meal of just carbs & fats consisting of green beans, oats, almonds, raisins, & natural peanut butter. I have been bulking & feel I have put on some size, now it is time to see if it is all fat or some muscle too! I don't have a show coming up right now. I am going to diet down for a vacation & thought this would be a good time to learn what work with my body without having a competition on the line atleast.I'm just wondering what my ratios should look like. I thought maybe have carbs a little lower on nontraining days? I am 5 ft 6 & weigh 145lbs right now. I have not gotten my bodyfat done, so I am not sure what it is. Would it be ok if I sent you some pics of me now & me when I was dieted down for my last show? My big goal is to keep my mass, while getting leaner. I have qualified for National level, but right now don't feel my body is ready. I would like to step on the national level stage in 09 when I feel like my body is where it needs to be & financially I can pay for a trainer. I have always done my own training & diet. Thanks so much in advance!

Comment

• Originally posted by jlay View Post
                          Alex, first of all I just want to say thank you for taking the time to do this thread. It is extremely helpful. I just read through the whole thing & learned a lot.
                          I am looking to diet with down with carbs this time around like I see you usually do & recommend. I have done 2 shows w& dieted with very little to no carbs. I am female as you can tell by the avatar. I have worked my butt of to put on muscle & I feel when I have dieted down without the carbs I have lost muscle & come in looking kinda stringy. I carb deplete & load before show, which helps, but I think the main problem is I eat away my muscle when dieting. I also feel like complete crap the whole time! I have used the cut diet. I don't know if you are familiar with this. It is basically the keto diet with a refeed every 18th meal of just carbs & fats consisting of green beans, oats, almonds, raisins, & natural peanut butter. I have been bulking & feel I have put on some size, now it is time to see if it is all fat or some muscle too! I don't have a show coming up right now. I am going to diet down for a vacation & thought this would be a good time to learn what work with my body without having a competition on the line atleast.I'm just wondering what my ratios should look like. I thought maybe have carbs a little lower on nontraining days? I am 5 ft 6 & weigh 145lbs right now. I have not gotten my bodyfat done, so I am not sure what it is. Would it be ok if I sent you some pics of me now & me when I was dieted down for my last show? My big goal is to keep my mass, while getting leaner. I have qualified for National level, but right now don't feel my body is ready. I would like to step on the national level stage in 09 when I feel like my body is where it needs to be & financially I can pay for a trainer. I have always done my own training & diet. Thanks so much in advance!
                          Yes you can send me those pics and i can offer you my best advise for your situation, etc. Just send them to my email address at prepbyalex@aol.com

looking forward to hearing from you.
                          www.prepbyalex.com

Comment

• Originally posted by EMN1/SS View Post
                            Alex,

I am not espcially a beginner, but I have never attained my goals either. I am also coming back after a number of months off. Maybe you can help me get to where I need to be. A little about me - I am 33 with 11 years in the military, so I am reasonably fit (i.e. I can pass a physical readiness test consisting of pushups, situps, and a 1.5 mile run better, and do so better than 65-70% of my peers). I need a program to get stronger, lose fat (I fluctuate between a 36" and a 41" waist depending on diet and activity level - my goal is a 32" waist), and allows me to maintain my running speed (I run 5-6 times a week, mostly just a comfortable pace, but sometimes I'll take my dog and throw in a couple of burst of speed to up the intensity) and to practice swimming twice a week in the evenings (I eventually want to go to diving school in the navy to be a ship's diver).

I have an 1 to 1.5 hours 4-5 times per week to lift in. I'm not so much looking to build bulk, but to get denser/stronger/tighter if you know what I mean. Some size wouldn't be bad.

If you have any questions or more info, feel free to ask.

Dustin
                            Dustin you have a very active lifestyle, i like that allot.
                            You are not lazy obviously and your a smart and professional. You have plenty of time 1.5 hours 4-5 days per week is the perfect time to get a good workout in the gym, along with cardio.

I would also suggest a good diet. You will have to cook most of your meals of course, prepare them and take them with you throughout the day. I guess you already know this and are coming to me for some advise. I can advise you on a style of diet, and answer some questions.

If your interested in a serious plan to get started, the diet with on going help, a plan on how much cardio, a plan on training, supps, whatever you need along with some ongoing help.You might want to email me at
                            prepbyalex@aol.com

I am currently helping several guys like you and providing updates to their diet and ongoing help, all through emails, which i respond to very fast. Just email me if interested. or send me a pm. thanks alex
                            www.prepbyalex.com

Comment

Yes you can send me those pics and i can offer you my best advise for your situation, etc. Just send them to my email address at prepbyalex@aol.com

looking forward to hearing from you.
                              Great! I will send them to you. I have plenty from when I was dieted down, but I don't have any recent ones. I will have to wait till tomorrow probably for my husband to take the pics for me. But, I will definitely get them to you!

Comment

• Originally posted by jlay View Post
                                Great! I will send them to you. I have plenty from when I was dieted down, but I don't have any recent ones. I will have to wait till tomorrow probably for my husband to take the pics for me. But, I will definitely get them to you!

Just so you know, you are very close to where you want to be. You stay pretty lean off season. That is good!
                                www.prepbyalex.com

Comment

Working...
                                X