Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Any beginners need help, just ask

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by me4ka86 View Post
    Hi Alex,

i read that you start your precontest preparation 16 weeks out. Having in mind that you stay really lean offseason(probably 8-9% bf correct me if i am wrong) why do you prepare so long? Won't, for example, 8-10 weeks be enough to shed this 4-5%bf?
    Yeah you would think so! i dont need 16 weeks, but my pre contest is about building muscle, and shedding fat. I want to put on muscle while i drop the fat so i do a longer approach to get the look i want in the end.

It has worked very well.

kreilly1656: bro like i said, i was totally impressed when i first say your pic and for a guy with all that potential, you are very smart to reach out for help with diet and prep even though your not doing a show. You are a good listener and ask all the right questions, in the 2 weeks you are well on track man.

Captaindominate:

Came to me in the middle of another diet and prep that came to a hault. In the short time I have known him, he has put on some serious muscle and his whole look has improved. Im sure he will tell you.

And he has to be the first to tell you how he loves the diet. From one extreme to another. Im sure he is loving the rice, flavored oats and all the good food.

His phsique is really kicking ass and his quality of life is ten times better. And the guy is going to be on track to do some serious damage at his upcoming shows, which i will be helping him with.
    Get shredded! check out the transformations at
    www.prepbyalex.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Alex A View Post
      And he has to be the first to tell you how he loves the diet. From one extreme to another. Im sure he is loving the rice, flavored oats and all the good food.
      Alex,

Your generosity is amazing. In this day and age of the Ďmeí generation, the amount of time and advice that you donate to this thread is truly remarkable. I applaud everything you do for those seeking info and your willingness to provide straight forward answers to any question.

Iím also happy to see someone obtaining such an inspiring physique while incorporating white rice and flavored oatmeal. As a 42 year old with the typical metabolic slowdown we all know is coming, Iíve struggled to get really lean. Iíve bounced from diet to diet, keto, low-carb, 40-40-20, BFFM (Venuto), etcÖ When I started 2 year ago, I was 205 and about 25-30% bf. Iíve managed to get myself down to 165, but I canít seem to break the 14-15% bf and below. Iíve tried each of those diets trying to shake things up and break through, but just havenít found the combination that works for me, yet. But seeing your results and knowing that youíre breaking many of the Ďtaboosí others preach in regard to the type of carbs gives me a lot of hope.

Iím pretty finicky when it comes to veggies and other carbs and donít care for yams or brown rice either (or broccoli and cauliflower, for that matter). I do incorporate white rice and the weight control Quaker Oats oatmeal, but even those can get boring after a while. How do you feel about dairy and whole grain cereals while trying to get lean? I like fat free Yoplait as a carb staple, as well as Fiber One and Kashi cereals with 1% milk. I also add in the occasional fat free jello pudding cup. Is dairy one of the things thatís keeping me from getting lean? The rest of my diet is pretty normal, lean beef, chicken, protein shakes, etc.. I eat 6 meals a day, lift 4-5 days a week and cardio (HITT mostly, occasional long slow cardio) after workout and sometime on off days if I have the time.

Sorry for the long post, but I think Iím almost there and just looking for that missing link to put over the top and get me on the right track to a lean body. Again, thanks for all you do and please keep it up.

Comment

• Originally posted by rjnidaho View Post
        Alex,

Your generosity is amazing. In this day and age of the Ďmeí generation, the amount of time and advice that you donate to this thread is truly remarkable. I applaud everything you do for those seeking info and your willingness to provide straight forward answers to any question.

Iím also happy to see someone obtaining such an inspiring physique while incorporating white rice and flavored oatmeal. As a 42 year old with the typical metabolic slowdown we all know is coming, Iíve struggled to get really lean. Iíve bounced from diet to diet, keto, low-carb, 40-40-20, BFFM (Venuto), etcÖ When I started 2 year ago, I was 205 and about 25-30% bf. Iíve managed to get myself down to 165, but I canít seem to break the 14-15% bf and below. Iíve tried each of those diets trying to shake things up and break through, but just havenít found the combination that works for me, yet. But seeing your results and knowing that youíre breaking many of the Ďtaboosí others preach in regard to the type of carbs gives me a lot of hope.

Iím pretty finicky when it comes to veggies and other carbs and donít care for yams or brown rice either (or broccoli and cauliflower, for that matter). I do incorporate white rice and the weight control Quaker Oats oatmeal, but even those can get boring after a while. How do you feel about dairy and whole grain cereals while trying to get lean? I like fat free Yoplait as a carb staple, as well as Fiber One and Kashi cereals with 1% milk. I also add in the occasional fat free jello pudding cup. Is dairy one of the things thatís keeping me from getting lean? The rest of my diet is pretty normal, lean beef, chicken, protein shakes, etc.. I eat 6 meals a day, lift 4-5 days a week and cardio (HITT mostly, occasional long slow cardio) after workout and sometime on off days if I have the time.

Sorry for the long post, but I think Iím almost there and just looking for that missing link to put over the top and get me on the right track to a lean body. Again, thanks for all you do and please keep it up.
        Thanks and no problem on the long question.

I see nothing wrong with dairy. Actually for breakfast i have been drinking a shake with non fat milk, a cup of cottage cheese, fat free, some strawberries or banana and 2 slices whole wheat toast. And im pretty damn lean. Im in the 10% range.

Dairy is not bad, but i still advocate non fat products. It just seems to work that when your carbs are up, your fat should be low.

As i get closer to the contests i cut the dairy out, as im trying to reduce my calories slightly so i dont drink milk and just go for the starchy carbs. Now as far as the cereal, im sure it is fine, but i prefer whole grain toast as an off season carb for breakfast.

Im always trying to get my belly full as my metabolism is pretty fast running. I want satisfy myself with filling foods. You should experiment with some other types of foods, whole wheat break, plain oats, flavored or the kashi cereal should be fine. Keep in touch here and let me know how it goes.
        www.prepbyalex.com

Comment

• are there any complex carbohydrates that you can drink and that are affordable?

and im talking a good carb source that would be the same as rice or oatmeal.

my reasoning is for someone with bowel problems.

is there a complex carb out their that is just as effective as rice or oatmeal but that you can drink and would be much easier on the digestion side of it to give your bowels a break?

Comment

• Originally posted by spiderman405 View Post
            are there any complex carbohydrates that you can drink and that are affordable?

and im talking a good carb source that would be the same as rice or oatmeal.

my reasoning is for someone with bowel problems.

is there a complex carb out their that is just as effective as rice or oatmeal but that you can drink and would be much easier on the digestion side of it to give your bowels a break?

Now thats a great question. I am one to advocate not "drinking your meals' because im one that believes whole foods, especially post workout are better quality carbs and protein that drinks. And they keep your from getting hungry longer. But your situation is different.

I dont know of a complex form of carbohydrate that you can drink, one as effective as rice or oats.

All i can say is that many people like waxy maiz or grape juice post workout, personally as i have stated, i like the starch forms of complex carbs. Sorry i can be more help and im going to look into this further. thanks alex
            www.prepbyalex.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Junior View Post
              Could always put your oats in a food processor and grind them down to a powder.

Mix the oat powder with whatever you want.....I do this.
              great idea. actually i just take the packets of oats and mix it with the shake, its pretty tasty too! junior thanks for contributing here man
              www.prepbyalex.com

Comment

• I'm 18, 6'3", 165lb and I have been working out seriously for about 3 months. I don't desire an extremely bulky show body but a body that is typically well-defined and lean. My biggest opposition would have to be my inability to gain weight in muscle mass or weight in general. Immediately I started myself out with the following workout routine without the use of supplements such as Whey protein.

There is no local gym or fitness center that I can enroll in so most of my workout routines take place in the setting of my own household. To conform with my extremely busy school and work schedule, the following was my workout schedule.

-Wed-Thur-Fri-Sun-

2x50 Reps Underarm Fore-arm
                2x50 Reps Overarm Fore-arm
                5x10 Reps 25 lb Fore-Arm Curl
                5x10 Reps - Bicep Curls 35lb
                5x10 Reps - Upward Biceps 35lb
                5x10 Reps - Shoulder Lifts 25lb
                5x10 Reps - Shoulder CrossOvers 25lb
                5x10 Reps - Single Arm Triceps 25lb
                5x10 Reps - Jointed Arm Triceps 35lb
                5x10 Reps - Jabs - 25lb
                5x10 Reps - Upper Cuts - 25lb
                5x10 Reps - Biceps Curl - 65lb Barbell

5x10 Reps - Regular Crunches
                5x10 Reps - Ankle Crunches
                5x10 Reps - Bycicle Crunches
                2x50 Reps - Weighted Sit-Ups(With 25lb dumbell)

At which point I would go work out on a universal machine for a strenuous workout.

Then its back to...
                50x - Push-Ups
                15x - Diamond Pushups

-Mon-Tues-Sat-
                5x 10 Benches
                5x 10 Military Presses

2x50 Reps - Weighted Sit-Ups
                -------------------------------

I also began the habit of drinking Whey Protein shakes and also combining blended slice bananas into the mixture for additional elements. My main goal was to achieve a decent beach body for the coming summer but after a hard three months of that preceding workout I have seen okish/nothing spectacular results in terms of general built.

I'm afraid that the combination of over training, sleep deprivation, and inability of my body to complete the healing process is playing a heavy role in the lack of desired results. It is not unlikely for me, cornered by just finishing school work and work to be doing my routine workouts 1-2am in the morning, only to wake up 5-6 hours later.

Eventually it gets to the point where I feel like I'm working extremely hard and getting very little in return, such as my chest-related area is very small given the large amount of time spent specifically working on that area. My left shoulder muscle is actually very much larger than my right when flexed. my chest may be disproportioned from one another. My arms are fairly long, resulting in my forearms to be pretty skinny like a straight rod despite the time spent on them and no real muscle or bulkiness to cover up the inner-elbow area of my arm. Also, my abdomen actually sticks out much further than my chest does when and when it isn't flexed. I am extremely skinny with honestly almost no layer of fat on my body. I lack an triangular torso and my back consists of two bony shoulder blades extending outwards.

While working out I try to exercise good form and I stress good form to those that work out with me such as controlling the weight, doing full-reps, taking it slow, as well as full range of motion. Even though I have had no one to actually show me firsthand the proper techniques or concept of physical fitness and bodybuilding, all my knowledge I have gathered from sources on the internet.

But I sorta begin to lack in enthusiasm and become depressed because maybe I'm not looking for an overnight body, or even a monthly body but I figured that with six months of critical training I would at least see a foundation to give me the enthusiasm to carry on or even just take my shirt off and not be afraid of exposing a pasty skinned skinny body.

But yeah, I know I'm probably over-training, not dieting proper(I honestly eat 2 meals a day if even that, and not really healthy either), I run a 2am - 8am sleep schedule most of the time.

But I don't know where to begin because no one has ever told me when, why, and how. Everyone I work out with are not regular in fitness and are usually unable to keep up with me in my daily routine and could almost describe me as a psychopath while working out, pushing myself to the brink of personal destruction just to see how far I have to take it to get what I want. Its that frustration of looking in the mirror and seeing absolutely no improvement that drives this insanity.

Anyways, I need help in the form of pointers, tips, a daily routine, diet and how to figure out different diet plans according to calories, protein and other nutritional information that I know idea where to begin with. I need something, because I am fully aware that I am on a path of possibly exhausting, hurting, or seriously injuring my body in my obsession.

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/636/bafbadzc4.jpg

In the above pic is a picture of my mid-section, frontal view prior to these past three months on the left, on the right is my most-current condition. Notice how odd the chest looks and the way the abdomen area seems so much larger(and no the two pics are the same height proportionally so I did not squish the image on the right).

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/9159/badbadol6.jpg

As you can see from, from the side picture on the left, side-muscles are no-existence as well as this view truly exposes the lack of chest muscles. The right picture displays the lack of chest muscles as well as the obvious general skinniness as ribs are visible on both sides.

Anyways Alex, if you can help me out, that would be great.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cjm21 View Post
                  I'm 18, 6'3", 165lb and I have been working out seriously for about 3 months. I don't desire an extremely bulky show body but a body that is typically well-defined and lean. My biggest opposition would have to be my inability to gain weight in muscle mass or weight in general. Immediately I started myself out with the following workout routine without the use of supplements such as Whey protein.

There is no local gym or fitness center that I can enroll in so most of my workout routines take place in the setting of my own household. To conform with my extremely busy school and work schedule, the following was my workout schedule.

-Wed-Thur-Fri-Sun-

5x10 Reps - Bicep Curls 35lb
                  5x10 Reps - Upward Biceps 35lb
                  5x10 Reps - Shoulder Lifts 25lb
                  5x10 Reps - Shoulder CrossOvers 25lb
                  5x10 Reps - Single Arm Triceps 25lb
                  5x10 Reps - Jointed Arm Triceps 35lb
                  5x10 Reps - Jabs - 25lb
                  5x10 Reps - Upper Cuts - 25lb
                  5x10 Reps - Biceps Curl - 65lb Barbell

2x50 Reps - Weighted Sit-Ups(With 25lb dumbell)

At which point I would go work out on a universal machine for a strenuous workout.

Then its back to...
                  50x - Push-Ups
                  15x - Diamond Pushups

-Mon-Tues-Sat-
                  5x 10 Benches
                  5x 10 Military Presses

2x50 Reps - Weighted Sit-Ups
                  -------------------------------

I also began the habit of drinking Whey Protein shakes and also combining blended slice bananas into the mixture for additional elements. My main goal was to achieve a decent beach body for the coming summer but after a hard three months of that preceding workout I have seen okish/nothing spectacular results in terms of general built.

I'm afraid that the combination of over training, sleep deprivation, and inability of my body to complete the healing process is playing a heavy role in the lack of desired results. It is not unlikely for me, cornered by just finishing school work and work to be doing my routine workouts 1-2am in the morning, only to wake up 5-6 hours later.

Eventually it gets to the point where I feel like I'm working extremely hard and getting very little in return, such as my chest-related area is very small given the large amount of time spent specifically working on that area. My left shoulder muscle is actually very much larger than my right when flexed. my chest may be disproportioned from one another. My arms are fairly long, resulting in my forearms to be pretty skinny like a straight rod despite the time spent on them and no real muscle or bulkiness to cover up the inner-elbow area of my arm. Also, my abdomen actually sticks out much further than my chest does when and when it isn't flexed. I am extremely skinny with honestly almost no layer of fat on my body. I lack an triangular torso and my back consists of two bony shoulder blades extending outwards.

While working out I try to exercise good form and I stress good form to those that work out with me such as controlling the weight, doing full-reps, taking it slow, as well as full range of motion. Even though I have had no one to actually show me firsthand the proper techniques or concept of physical fitness and bodybuilding, all my knowledge I have gathered from sources on the internet.

But I sorta begin to lack in enthusiasm and become depressed because maybe I'm not looking for an overnight body, or even a monthly body but I figured that with six months of critical training I would at least see a foundation to give me the enthusiasm to carry on or even just take my shirt off and not be afraid of exposing a pasty skinned skinny body.

But yeah, I know I'm probably over-training, not dieting proper(I honestly eat 2 meals a day if even that, and not really healthy either), I run a 2am - 8am sleep schedule most of the time.

But I don't know where to begin because no one has ever told me when, why, and how. Everyone I work out with are not regular in fitness and are usually unable to keep up with me in my daily routine and could almost describe me as a psychopath while working out, pushing myself to the brink of personal destruction just to see how far I have to take it to get what I want. Its that frustration of looking in the mirror and seeing absolutely no improvement that drives this insanity.

Anyways, I need help in the form of pointers, tips, a daily routine, diet and how to figure out different diet plans according to calories, protein and other nutritional information that I know idea where to begin with. I need something, because I am fully aware that I am on a path of possibly exhausting, hurting, or seriously injuring my body in my obsession.

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/636/bafbadzc4.jpg

In the above pic is a picture of my mid-section, frontal view prior to these past three months on the left, on the right is my most-current condition. Notice how odd the chest looks and the way the abdomen area seems so much larger(and no the two pics are the same height proportionally so I did not squish the image on the right).

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/9159/badbadol6.jpg

As you can see from, from the side picture on the left, side-muscles are no-existence as well as this view truly exposes the lack of chest muscles. The right picture displays the lack of chest muscles as well as the obvious general skinniness as ribs are visible on both sides.

Anyways Alex, if you can help me out, that would be great.
                  Hey bro, you look allot better in the pics than you give yourself credit for.

First of all, there is a ton of stuff i can help you with bro. but the main topic of discussion for me would be your diet.

You really need to get more meals in and structure and make some time in your busy day to plan and prepare your meals for the next day. So you just wake up, grab your stuff and go.

Its about being organized and disciplined. Getting my food ready, packing it up before i head out the door is like putting my clothes on.

I dont leave the house without my pants or cooler filled with my meals. Second you have to change thing up, as far as your training. You have to try to get into a gym, or atleast change up your routine etc as to shock your muscles into growth. I realize your busy schedule, but atleast your plugging away and not in bad shape at all. Basically get a good diet plan going and make some changes about your training and you will see a huge difference. thanks for asking for the help alex
                  www.prepbyalex.com

Comment

Hey bro, you look allot better in the pics than you give yourself credit for.

First of all, there is a ton of stuff i can help you with bro. but the main topic of discussion for me would be your diet.

You really need to get more meals in and structure and make some time in your busy day to plan and prepare your meals for the next day. So you just wake up, grab your stuff and go.

Its about being organized and disciplined. Getting my food ready, packing it up before i head out the door is like putting my clothes on.

I dont leave the house without my pants or cooler filled with my meals. Second you have to change thing up, as far as your training. You have to try to get into a gym, or atleast change up your routine etc as to shock your muscles into growth. I realize your busy schedule, but atleast your plugging away and not in bad shape at all. Basically get a good diet plan going and make some changes about your training and you will see a huge difference. thanks for asking for the help alex
                    Ok, so I should eat around six times a day of assorted protein concentrated meals?

To compliment this, should I cut my 6 days a week work out to 3 days on and 3 days off, each day specifically working out on a different body area because maybe I'm not giving my body enough time to rebuild from the previous day's workout? By the way, what are the advantages of a gym in comparison to at-home free weights and machine?

Comment

• Originally posted by Cjm21 View Post
                      Ok, so I should eat around six times a day of assorted protein concentrated meals?

To compliment this, should I cut my 6 days a week work out to 3 days on and 3 days off, each day specifically working out on a different body area because maybe I'm not giving my body enough time to rebuild from the previous day's workout? By the way, what are the advantages of a gym in comparison to at-home free weights and machine?
                      if you want my opinon, which you are asking. I would workout 5 days a week. Hitting one major bodypart per day, so your training each bodypart once per week. And i would train calves and abs twice. The advantage of a gym is in my opinion, the equipment.
                      You can get motivated at home for sure but home does not provide many of the equipment you need at a gym.
                      Dont get me wrong, you can get the basics done at home.

As far as diet goes. i would make sure to eat 5 or 6 meals, 4 of them coming from solid food and 1-2 shakes per day..
                      www.prepbyalex.com

Comment

if you want my opinon, which you are asking. I would workout 5 days a week. Hitting one major bodypart per day, so your training each bodypart once per week. And i would train calves and abs twice. The advantage of a gym is in my opinion, the equipment.
                        You can get motivated at home for sure but home does not provide many of the equipment you need at a gym.
                        Dont get me wrong, you can get the basics done at home.

As far as diet goes. i would make sure to eat 5 or 6 meals, 4 of them coming from solid food and 1-2 shakes per day..
                        So we're looking at,

Day 1 - Chest - Abs
                        Day 2 - Arms - Calves
                        Day 3 - Shoulders - Abs
                        Day 4 - Back - Calves
                        Day 5 - Legs - Light Cardio

I should concentrate atleast 1-2hrs of working out on these areas on their designated day right? Are there any really effective workout in which you can vouch for in any of those areas?

Should I keep the same large amount of reps and weights or should I step down the reps and step up the weights or vice versa?

Any effective meals for for those 5-6 meals a day, preferably something portable that I could store/carry/and eat on the run. I have a large container of whey protein.

I'm willing to start a journal from this point onwards documenting everything essential to the campaign such as daily consumption of different elements, weight(body fat%), measures of different muscle groups such as arms, legs, etc and also photographs to compare progress.

Comment

• Alex,

I'm loving all this advice you have been giving. Maybe one day I can afford to find out this fantastic diet plan. Mine is sure rigorous and boring, but seems to be working.

BTW, my wife took some pictures of me at 4-weeks out that I hope to have offloaded sometime tomorrow.

Comment

• Originally posted by grumpwurst View Post
                            Alex,

I'm loving all this advice you have been giving. Maybe one day I can afford to find out this fantastic diet plan. Mine is sure rigorous and boring, but seems to be working.

BTW, my wife took some pictures of me at 4-weeks out that I hope to have offloaded sometime tomorrow.

Thanks allot bro and be sure to send them to me or share them bro. I hear you, diets can be boring. I have done 14 npc shows and in the past it was just hell dieting.

The routine sucked, boring, miserable, i was really no fun to be around me either the last weeks heading down the stretch. But my pre contest diet is so freaking easy and such good food, i cant believe i was doing things wrong for so long.

I have hired help, well actually my wife did as a present to me, and that was awesome to follow the advise of one person.

that changed my physique around 180degrees and made the biggest impact on my physique and how i looked.

With my experiences and what i learned for the past three years, i have been staying super lean and just get shredded for my shows. I have been helping guys at the local shows here in Los Angeles for a couple years now and they all do my diet and trust me. Its hard to pick up bits and pieces here on line and try to throw it together. Im always available to answer those questions or, like i said, if you want to take it to the next level thats cool too we can do that when your ready. Anyways,..

Here is a pic of me several weeks after my show last year.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Alex A; April 9, 2008, 08:57 AM.
                            www.prepbyalex.com

Comment

• Any advice for my last questions, Alex?

Comment

Working...
                              X