Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Any beginners need help, just ask

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by grumpwurst View Post
    Update: My trainer is agreeing with Flexington, Alex and Scoobysnacks (I think). I have been put on very restrictive cardio until after showtime.

I was told to not do anything more intense than a brisk walk/stroll. They are estimating my bodyfat to be around 4-5% and as you all said, "I have nothing left to burn, safely, but muscle".

So, the most strenuous thing I've done (other than my weight training) is push-mowing the lawn yesterday. Other than that, just getting on the elliptical and trying to not let my heart rate get above 100
    Sounds good. Funny thing is, during my prep, I never do high intensity cardio, its all low intensity and heart rate barely evere goes above 95, at the gym I look like Im just strolling along on the bike, I get funny stares, like, hey bud why dont you do something....lol.....like you being a smaller guy I have to really push to get up to 120, resting is 65.

Good luck to you.

Ss

Comment

• Originally posted by toneesee View Post
      Hello Alex,

I think the advice you give is great and I'd like to see if perhaps you can help me out.

First of all, I am a 7 week post op. lapband patient. I dropped from 288 lbs. down to 238 lbs. so far. I am 5' 11" in height and am in need of advice. My goal is not just to lose weight, I actually want to build muscle and perhaps one day have a body builder's physique. I have read the types of diets that alot of these guys are on and due to my lapband, I cannot consume even 1/4th of that stuff. I usually get in about 700 to 800 calories total on an average day. My meal plan is as follows:.

Meal 1:
      1 egg white omelete with non-fat cheese, white onions, and 1.5 oz of diced chicken breast.
      I take a liquid multi-vitamin and a fish oil vitamin.

Meal 2 (after gym):
      32 grams of protein

Meal 3:
      3 to 5 oz. diced chicken breast or Salmon (no red meat).
      1 to 2 servings of assorted veggies (green beans, red/green peppers, onions, broccolli, corn, tomatoes, carrots).
      Low fat yogurt or health choice desert cakes (90 cals).
      16 oz. water with Crystal Lite drink mix

Meal 4:
      Same as lunch minus the yogurt or desert cake

Meal 5:
      32 grams of protein

Gym routine w/ personal trainer is as follows:

Work out on M, Tu, W, F, Sat.
      On M, W, F Weight training and cardio, on the off days it's streight cardio.

Cardio:
      30-35 mins. on the eliptical machine staying in target h/r of 130-145
      10-15 mins. interval training on treadmill (5 min run, 5 min walk, 3 min run, 2 min walk).

Weight training:
      Monday is chest, back, and core.
      Wednesday is legs.
      Friday is arms and shoulders.

Saturday I do a 90 minute spin class.

I want to know what to do in order to continue losing weight, lose body fat, and to gain lots of lean muscle mass? Also how long can I expect that it will take to see the results of the weight training?

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

Tony
      I would consult your doctor. I mean your diet is very specific to your situation. I mean. i would not know how to advise you on getting your diet together without some serious research etc. I mean. I dont even know what a lapband is.
      I assume something in your intestine to block food consumption. Anyways, you might not be able to eat the amounts of protein, carbs and diet to become a bodybuilder. I
      f you can, find out from your docotor and let me know. Other than that, i would continue with your cardio and weights though. Let me know what the doctor says.
      Get shredded! check out the transformations at
      www.prepbyalex.com

Comment

• diet

hey Alex. During your 16 week precontest diets............ do you ever fall off the wagon and cheat. and i mean like carbs carb carb crazy.

i have alway been around 12% bodyfat no matter if i eat pizza and hamburgers everyday or eat clean and do cardio. i stay in that range always.

I Have tried dieting over the last 21 years. i am 35 and have been working out 5 days a week for 21 years. my problem is diet. i can always do great for a week and then the second week im like a uncaged lion. i have been following your diet advice. I am 5'6" and 197 lbs. i started off eating 6 meals per day. 250-300 grams protein and 200 grams of carbs. i know you would probably reccomend more carbs but i tried 400 grams for 7 days and lost zero weight. so i was getting my 200 grams from oatmeal and white rice. and protein from chicken and turkey and eggwhites. after one week like always i start craving cake and hamburgers big time. for 2 days straigth now, one day i went crazy with the cake and a turkey burger and today im binging on high sugar cereal and nonfat milk. i ate my normal meal of turkey and rice and then afterwards at my job went and ate 120 grams of carbs from luchy charms and 2 small milks.

this has happened to me over the 21 years. i can never make it past 2 weeks without getting ferociously hungry for carb binging.

and it doesnt matter what kind of diet i try. i have tried the palumbo diet and the low fat, mod carb, high protein. it doesnt matter which one i always go binging after 10-14 days.

do you every binge like this during you 16 weeks?

and if so how many time do you do it?

Comment

• alex

i reread my post and i just wanted to mention that i have a mesomorphic bodytype. i have built lots of muscle on my frame. building muscle and staying at 12% bodyfat is easy for me. my problem has always been dieting. i get tremendous cravings even when eating plenty. all i ever wanted was to get down to around 8% bodyfat. i know i seem whiny. i just have gotten frustrated with myself. am i really that undisciplined. why do i have these huge cravings for sweets all the time?

Comment

• Originally posted by spiderman405 View Post
            hey Alex. During your 16 week precontest diets............ do you ever fall off the wagon and cheat. and i mean like carbs carb carb crazy.

i have alway been around 12% bodyfat no matter if i eat pizza and hamburgers everyday or eat clean and do cardio. i stay in that range always.

I Have tried dieting over the last 21 years. i am 35 and have been working out 5 days a week for 21 years. my problem is diet. i can always do great for a week and then the second week im like a uncaged lion. i have been following your diet advice. I am 5'6" and 197 lbs. i started off eating 6 meals per day. 250-300 grams protein and 200 grams of carbs. i know you would probably reccomend more carbs but i tried 400 grams for 7 days and lost zero weight. so i was getting my 200 grams from oatmeal and white rice. and protein from chicken and turkey and eggwhites. after one week like always i start craving cake and hamburgers big time. for 2 days straigth now, one day i went crazy with the cake and a turkey burger and today im binging on high sugar cereal and nonfat milk. i ate my normal meal of turkey and rice and then afterwards at my job went and ate 120 grams of carbs from luchy charms and 2 small milks.

this has happened to me over the 21 years. i can never make it past 2 weeks without getting ferociously hungry for carb binging.

and it doesnt matter what kind of diet i try. i have tried the palumbo diet and the low fat, mod carb, high protein. it doesnt matter which one i always go binging after 10-14 days.

do you every binge like this during you 16 weeks?

and if so how many time do you do it?

Do I ever binge on my diet yes i do. off season. I go crazy from time to time and will just start eating candy bars and eat like 5or 6. or I will just pig out on cookies.

But not when im on my 16 week prep, never. I never do that. But actually during my prep i force myself to have cheat meals if I feel my body really needs it(when bodyfat is ridiculously low). but other than that, i dont cheat.

Years ago, i used to have really clean off seasons. I would go a month to even 2 months with nothing but clean food, then I would go nuts and pig out on stuff.

Now this year, i am having a cheat meal about once a week to every 14 days, just to keep myself from doing that. And my cheats are only candy bars. Chocholate and peanut butter, like Recees cups are my favorite, or peanut m&m's but i never eat burgers and fries, only chocholate and peanut butter bars.
            www.prepbyalex.com

Comment

• well shit now I don't feel so bad eating 3 Reese fast breaks yesterday after work, lol
              MorphogenNutrition.com
              Facebook.com/MorphogenNutrition

Comment

• Ben, don't feel bad, that is AWESOME! I binged on those things so bad the week after my show. I completely lost my abs. I am hitting the diet hard so I can get some conditioning back, but believe me, I'd love to pounding them and snicker almonds!
                TEAM P/RR/S ELITE
                www.fitcorps.net

Comment

• Originally posted by bhman6 View Post
                  well shit now I don't feel so bad eating 3 Reese fast breaks yesterday after work, lol
                  actually bro, those are my favorite, the king size Fast Break. That is the best candy bar out there. Somtimes i just eat the top part with all the peanut butter. But the cups, i almost cant stop once i start, its easy to eat up to 10 cups. I feel so damn guilty after, it makes me train harder and want to stick to the diet even more though so it has its advantages too.
                  www.prepbyalex.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Alex A View Post
                    actually bro, those are my favorite, the king size Fast Break. That is the best candy bar out there. Somtimes i just eat the top part with all the peanut butter. But the cups, i almost cant stop once i start, its easy to eat up to 10 cups. I feel so damn guilty after, it makes me train harder and want to stick to the diet even more though so it has its advantages too.
                    My weaknesses are the whole large bag of chocolate covered raisins, once I start, unless someone is in the hospital, they will all be eaten in one sitting. And Extreme Moosetracks ice cream WITH added chocolate syrup, that is so damn good that its literally mouthwatering, can you tell Im a chocolate guy.

Like Alex I rarely touch a hamburger and fries and bad food. I always get my 5-6 bb meals in, but just add some junk, in the offseason I dont think it really effects ya that bad if you train and do your cardio.

Glad to see Im not alone

Comment

• You're not the only chocolate guy! Offseason (where I am now) Saturday nights are my splurge nights. I have a friend who bakes the most outrageous brownies (chocolate/peanut butter or chocolate/raspberry, both using 6-7 different types of chocolate) and he always supplies me with a generous portion. Got a big hunk in the freezer just waiting for this Saturday. I might pair that with some ice cream, or I might make this chocolate/banana pudding recipe that the New York Times published yesterday.

Comment

• I've gone through an entire bag of PB oreos in a sitting no problem (last Saturday comes to mind, lol)
                        MorphogenNutrition.com

Comment

• DAMMIT....I thought I was going to ready some cool advice being doled out by Alex and ben and I have read about freaking CaNDY BARS!!!

Well for what its worth I had dreams about eating butterfingers.....I have no idea where that came from but damm they tasted good in my dream...lol...
                          THE OFFICIAL DC TRAINING!! AVAILABLE NOW! http://www.jasonwojo.com/dvd.html

Comment

• Originally posted by bhman6 View Post
                            I've gone through an entire bag of PB oreos in a sitting no problem (last Saturday comes to mind, lol)
                            I didn't know those existed......I think my life just changed.....yep it did
                            Nutrex Research
                            Exercise Science BS, CSCS

Comment

• they also have mint oreos which are to die for
                              MorphogenNutrition.com

Comment

• hey guys here a weird one for you im an irish guy 24 and im trying to get built up but theres the kicker i have a pacemaker/icd and cant do any weights on my chest at all in case the leed going to my heart snap so if anybody out there knows anything that i can do please let me nkow some hel on Supplements would be great to thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X