Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Any beginners need help, just ask

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    How do you peek/eat/drink the last week before a show or photo shoot. I can get very lean but have no idea how to get ready the last week?

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by ForemanRules View Post
      How do you peek/eat/drink the last week before a show or photo shoot. I can get very lean but have no idea how to get ready the last week?
      Its complicated in a sense but to be honest, i looked like this at three weeks out. im pretty dry at four weeks out too.

      I just do my diet and training right and I get that way. The last week, i dont change much other than cut a few minor things but nothing on the major side. Not depletion or loading either!

      These pics are from 2.5 weeks out...
      Attached Files
      Get shredded! check out the transformations at
      www.prepbyalex.com

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by crou View Post
        Alex,
        Do you think I have what it takes to compete and do well on the national level (NPC)someday. Here is a link to some pictures. Any comments/critisicm would be greatly appreciated from someone of your stature in bodybuilding.
        http://forums.musculardevelopment.co...ad.php?t=19004
        One thing i would work on for sure is posing. No offense and it just takes practice to get it down. I do structured posing sessions from about five or six weeks out every day to the show. It is needed by everyone.

        Secondly Your condition got really good but some of the bantams out there are thick little dudes, you know. Everyone is short so the thicker the better. you could hang in there but I would give it time since there is no hurry. YOu need to just keep doing what your doing and you will grow.

        I gained twenty pounds in six years competing. That is not a whole lot, but it isnt too bad either. Remember its quality not quantity! so dont get caught up in numbers. The twenty pounds on me looks like fifty! Peace alex a
        Get shredded! check out the transformations at
        www.prepbyalex.com

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by Junior View Post
          How much cardio do you do off season and precontest?
          I do thirty minutes on a bike then i bump it up to about forty five minutes pre contest.

          I usually dont go more than that. In the old days I would go as high as two hours broken up to an hour twice a day. Never again, only one session usually after training or mid day.
          Get shredded! check out the transformations at
          www.prepbyalex.com

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by Alex A View Post
            Thanks buddy, i really appreciate that ! I really had made a bad decision to drop down to the lightweights. I should have just held my weight right here. Look at these pics, I was 163 and could have adjusted my food to stay right around this weight with 5 days to go.
            Yep, those were the pictures I was talking about. If you came in like that as a welter, lights out. Live and learn.

            take care,

            jason

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by scoobysnacks View Post
              Yep, those were the pictures I was talking about. If you came in like that as a welter, lights out. Live and learn.

              take care,

              jason
              Yeah thanks Jason, I should have never dropped down from this point. It would have been really easy to hold this too.

              To drop down to make weight, from this point, I started upping my cardio a tad and cut a little off the top of my last meal.

              Big mistakes, I should have just done the opposite! I was telling everyone I was going to be a lightweight it would have been a nice surprise to show up at the weigh in looking like this.

              Live and learn, theres always next year and Im really looking forward to that!
              Get shredded! check out the transformations at
              www.prepbyalex.com

              Comment


              • #37
                Sorry to be bombarding this thread, I dont know if I qualify as a beginner. I am 30, and training for 8 yrs, but in terms of shows, Ive only done 4 so I think Im a beginner in that respect.

                I know you have a very high carbohydrate intake. Since my last show in october I have tried to increase my carbs in the form of whole oats, brown rice and sweet potatoes. Everytime I do this I immediately see a little fat start to store at my navel (that and my thigh skinfold are always the highest). Since I am competing in March I then get freaked out and drop it back down to where Im just doing 1/2 cup of oats in the morning with my eggs and cottage cheese, then 1/2 cup of oats pre training with tuna and 7oz yam and 2 scoops of WPI post training. So 3x per day. I am no where near your intake.

                My training is as follows: weights 4x per week, cardio moderate intensity for 20 mins after (except on leg day). Then cardio 3x per week after work, High intensity interval training; 20 minutes.

                I estimate my bodyfat to be around 6.5%, ab 6-7mm thigh 7-8mm and chest skinfold is 2mm, which gives a reading of 6%, but I dont really care about the % just the skinfolds.

                I keep wondering if the only way Ill be able to effectively increase carb intake is to get out of pre contest mode, accept some bodyfat gain, but more importantly reset my metabolism, then diet down with my carbs starting at 300 grams (I weight about 155 right now). Anytime I try to increase them now, I see fat storage.

                So Im 15 weeks out about 6.5%, starchy carb intake is around 100 grams per day, with the rest from veggies and what is in my shakes. Am I stuck?
                I hope this makes sense....I know i sort of rambled.

                Jason

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by scoobysnacks View Post
                  Sorry to be bombarding this thread, I dont know if I qualify as a beginner. I am 30, and training for 8 yrs, but in terms of shows, Ive only done 4 so I think Im a beginner in that respect.

                  I know you have a very high carbohydrate intake. Since my last show in october I have tried to increase my carbs in the form of whole oats, brown rice and sweet potatoes. Everytime I do this I immediately see a little fat start to store at my navel (that and my thigh skinfold are always the highest). Since I am competing in March I then get freaked out and drop it back down to where Im just doing 1/2 cup of oats in the morning with my eggs and cottage cheese, then 1/2 cup of oats pre training with tuna and 7oz yam and 2 scoops of WPI post training. So 3x per day. I am no where near your intake.

                  My training is as follows: weights 4x per week, cardio moderate intensity for 20 mins after (except on leg day). Then cardio 3x per week after work, High intensity interval training; 20 minutes.

                  I estimate my bodyfat to be around 6.5%, ab 6-7mm thigh 7-8mm and chest skinfold is 2mm, which gives a reading of 6%, but I dont really care about the % just the skinfolds.

                  I keep wondering if the only way Ill be able to effectively increase carb intake is to get out of pre contest mode, accept some bodyfat gain, but more importantly reset my metabolism, then diet down with my carbs starting at 300 grams (I weight about 155 right now). Anytime I try to increase them now, I see fat storage.

                  So Im 15 weeks out about 6.5%, starchy carb intake is around 100 grams per day, with the rest from veggies and what is in my shakes. Am I stuck?
                  I hope this makes sense....I know i sort of rambled.

                  Jason
                  Jason, are you doing cardio 6 sessions per week?

                  I am going to try to figure this one out because it doesnt seem like your eating much carbs at all. I eat white rice twice a day 6oz each meal and flavored oatmeal 2 meals per day and a baked potato the other.

                  I dont eat brown rice or yams.

                  Try some different foods. I know for one thing, brown rice doesnt seem to work for me. But just see what happens. I would consider increasing your post workout meal to some white rice and increase your first meal of the day slightly.

                  Try this, take half of your serving off your last meal of carbs and add it to those meals and see what happens.

                  I bet you drop some fat. How much total cardio are you doing?
                  Get shredded! check out the transformations at
                  www.prepbyalex.com

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    6 total sessions broken out like this......

                    3 sessions of cardio after 3 weight sessions. Those cardio sessions are moderate intensity for 20 mins. Heart rate about 115 to 120.

                    Then I do 3 more HIIT sessions on non training days after work for 20 minutes, spiking my heart up to 150s and letting it settle down during the low interval to the 120s.

                    Man white rice, really, thats so high glycemic. I feel like Id blow up.

                    But, Ill try your suggestion.

                    My current condition (sorry they wont upload to MD as they are too big and Im too computer illiterate to know how to resize the pics):

                    www.kodakgallery.com
                    theosnacks@hotmail.com
                    password: snacks

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Hello Alex,
                      Thanks for doing this thread, very commendable! They should put a picture of you under the word "shredded" in the dictionary good gad!! Those pics before National are INSANE! I have a question for you regarding overall chest size. I've recently stopped doing as much flat and incline bench press barbell (probably for 3 months) and switched to dumbell because I felt like my front delts always take over during the barbell movements. (I still occasionally do barbell to switch it up, maybe once a month). I'm having trouble though adding mass to my chest both upper and lower. My typical Chest Day is:
                      Dumbell Incline, Cable Flys for Lower Pecs, Flat Bench Dumbell, Incline Dumbell Flies, and lastly weighted dips. I tend to use 4 sets per exercise 12,10,8,6. Every other week or so I also do supersets to change it up. Any input though on adding size to chest would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,
                      CarpeDiem

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        hey alex,

                        just curious what are the avg heights for the different weight classes?

                        Thanx
                        Glen

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by vasco666 View Post
                          alex i have been lifting for a year now made great gains went from 164-185 but it seems im just stuck 185 no matter how m uch i eat my metoblsm is off the charts.. i did for the first time reach the 193 mark and caught the flew last month and went baack down to 180.. my diet is this.
                          5:30- protien shake
                          6:30 6 egg whites 2 bannas and a cup of oatmeal
                          8:30 chicken brest with 1 cup of rice
                          10:30 2 steak strips with 1 cup of rice
                          12:30 2 talipia fishes with veggies
                          2:30 protien shake about 80 grams
                          6:00 either steak or fish again
                          what am i doing wrong, i workout about 1 1/2 hours day with 2 days off..
                          what can i do in my diet to make the gains i want ..my goal is 220
                          Do you keep a detailed diet log, as to your daily macro Protein/Carbs/Fat intake breakdowns?

                          Have you calculated your BMR+Daily Activity caloric requirement baselines, monitoring carefully, and then modifying your diet, based on your results to allow you to achieve you goals?

                          Exactly how many calories, are you intaking daily?

                          How many grams of Protein/Carbs/Fat daily, are you eating?

                          Based on what you are indicating, you are eating daily , a very low level of fat.

                          Low fat intake at that level, may be negative impacting your weight gains.

                          Something to keep in mind, is that fat, is required for nutrient transport.

                          Alex?
                          Last edited by Buadain; December 22, 2007, 10:24 AM.
                          My Competition Prep Journal

                          Muscular Development Forum Rules

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by scoobysnacks View Post
                            6 total sessions broken out like this......

                            3 sessions of cardio after 3 weight sessions. Those cardio sessions are moderate intensity for 20 mins. Heart rate about 115 to 120.

                            Then I do 3 more HIIT sessions on non training days after work for 20 minutes, spiking my heart up to 150s and letting it settle down during the low interval to the 120s.

                            Man white rice, really, thats so high glycemic. I feel like Id blow up.

                            But, Ill try your suggestion.

                            My current condition (sorry they wont upload to MD as they are too big and Im too computer illiterate to know how to resize the pics):

                            www.kodakgallery.com
                            theosnacks@hotmail.com
                            password: snacks

                            Its the protein that makes you fat not the carbs. Most people dont truly calculate the protein from the carbs, When they increase the carbs they forget that the protein is increased as well and find themselves storing fat quite easily. Remember carbs store in the form of glycogen in the muscle as well as the liver and since training is constantly depleting them, we are never at 150 millimoles which is the measurement for a fully saturated muscle. Protein on the other hand has no storage ability and once the bodies daily requirements have been met any additional is stored as fat immediately. I myself use about 280 Protein daily offseason at 165 LBM. 60 to 70 of that comes from the carbs.
                            TRAIN HARD AND WIN EASY!!!
                            Co-Promoter of the NPC "Royal Palm Classic"

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by scoobysnacks View Post
                              6 total sessions broken out like this......

                              3 sessions of cardio after 3 weight sessions. Those cardio sessions are moderate intensity for 20 mins. Heart rate about 115 to 120.

                              Then I do 3 more HIIT sessions on non training days after work for 20 minutes, spiking my heart up to 150s and letting it settle down during the low interval to the 120s.

                              Man white rice, really, thats so high glycemic. I feel like Id blow up.

                              But, Ill try your suggestion.

                              My current condition (sorry they wont upload to MD as they are too big and Im too computer illiterate to know how to resize the pics):

                              www.kodakgallery.com
                              theosnacks@hotmail.com
                              password: snacks
                              I get completely shredded on White rice, Maple and brown sugar oatmeal with splenda added. Those are pretty much the only carbs i eat. As I get closer to the show, i eat the maple and brown sugar oats only one of hte meals and switch to just quick oats for the other. Most of the time I eat two servings of white rice and two of the maple and brown sugar oats. Try it, you will like it! j/k try it and see what happens! alex
                              Get shredded! check out the transformations at
                              www.prepbyalex.com

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by CarpeDiem87 View Post
                                Hello Alex,
                                Thanks for doing this thread, very commendable! They should put a picture of you under the word "shredded" in the dictionary good gad!! Those pics before National are INSANE! I have a question for you regarding overall chest size. I've recently stopped doing as much flat and incline bench press barbell (probably for 3 months) and switched to dumbell because I felt like my front delts always take over during the barbell movements. (I still occasionally do barbell to switch it up, maybe once a month). I'm having trouble though adding mass to my chest both upper and lower. My typical Chest Day is:
                                Dumbell Incline, Cable Flys for Lower Pecs, Flat Bench Dumbell, Incline Dumbell Flies, and lastly weighted dips. I tend to use 4 sets per exercise 12,10,8,6. Every other week or so I also do supersets to change it up. Any input though on adding size to chest would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,
                                CarpeDiem
                                Thanks for the compliment brother!! that was cool. A pic of me in the dictionary under the word shredded would be nice! yelp. j/k

                                Hey bro, you came to the right guy here about chest! Chest is one of my strongest bodyparts. But when I am flat or not carbed up enough it looks a bit small. But off season or pre contest, my chest is ridiculously thick.

                                Guess what will add some serious thickness to your overall chest.?..

                                The good old pushup! Do sets of push ups betweeen sets on the incline or even the flat bench.

                                Crank out a good set of rather slow reps, good form of 15-20 right after doing your set. You will see how pumped you get. Pushups add thickness to the chest without involving too much shoulder or tri cept.

                                Also what you are doing and switching up your exercises etc. is a great idea. Dont worry about the weight. We all do. I used to obsess over how much i benched. I was so into it. But now I could care less. Go for form and slow controlled movement. Do your sets a bit slower and controlled and swith your exercises around constantly. Do the pushups, im serious! tell me how it goes...Alex a
                                Get shredded! check out the transformations at
                                www.prepbyalex.com

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X