Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Any beginners need help, just ask

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you know about SUS 500? Thinking about trying the supplement and have been on Epistane before. Any suggestions?

Comment

• Loving the thread Alex.

Wish i had someone like you around when i was a newbie!

Comment

• Originally posted by evilive138 View Post
        Loving the thread Alex.

Wish i had someone like you around when i was a newbie!

I wish i did too. Forums were not really around when i started competing and I had very little guidance. I worked my ass off so hard for my first show and lost 50lbs to get in shape.

I was so driven to be ripped, but i suffered so much in the process. Also, it took me a long time to figure out some very basic dieting techniques. I stuck to it and it paid off. Now there is a ton of help available. This forum is great because there are so many awesome people willing to help, share and see you succeed. Best wishes and feel free to rack my brain any time! take care

Spur-that-mule: sorry, i cant be more help here, i have no experience with it either. I would stick to the basics and good diet
        Get shredded! check out the transformations at
        www.prepbyalex.com

Comment

• Appreciate the response. Been performing powerlifting for years, and now being 38 feeling like my metabolism is starting to slow some, but starting to get that powerlifter look (haha)............and really want to get to a more fit look, and think that bodybuilding would be something that would be more healthy as a diet and something to re-spark my drive. Hardest problem I am currently having is from going of sets of 3 reps with massive weight, to more muscle focused lifts with some lighter weight..............driving me crazy!

Comment

• Hey, before when I first started reading this thread, muscular development wouldn't let me post a topic...but now that I can I have to give you a warning... this post is about to be long :P

First of all I'd like to thank you Alex for your advice on this thread. I've read a lot of good advice on this forum that has really helped me continue to reach my goals. However, THIS thread in particular has been fantastic! I really appreciate what you've been doing

I lifted occasionally from the end of high school and into college ...but it was more like playing around (looking back on it) and I never stuck to it for long enough. And since I had gained ALOT of weight since highschool I decided to change a few things this last year. I got quick results the first few months but then after that it has been a process (which I have grown to enjoy)

Before I started following some of your advice, I was getting results but it would always be one of two things. I'd either be losing fat and muscle, or go through a period of gaining a lot of muscle and some fat. I would plateau in my strength training so I'd start trying to lose some weight...and vice versa... which was working but wasn't much fun. My current training and diet has me gaining in strength while keeping my weight...or sometimes lowering it. Its slow and steady but overall more effective... a ton more enjoyable ....and a lot less work! And I have this thread to thank for that.

Anyway I do have some questions for you. I don't really have my diet too strict. I just try to follow a few guidelines with the foods I eat (and when I eat them). But here is what it looks like (i often switch things around or add and remove things but this is really the core of my diet)

meal one:
            7 eggs (1 egg 6 egg whites) and either a cup of oats (oatmeal with 1% milk) or a bowl of Wheaties cereal

meal two:
            chicken (grilled chicken breast) or canned fish and white or brown rice sometimes with black or red beans

meal three:
            Whey shake with milk or Whey shake with water and a packet of Quaker oats apples and cinnamon instant mix (low sugar)

meal four:
            chicken (grilled breast) or canned fish and a sweet potato

meal five: steak , or a stir fry(chicken pork or steak), or some fish (tuna swordfish or salmon)...and vegetables (usually broccoli or Brussels sprouts)

meal six: cottage cheese (1% fat) and/or peanut butter (natural) with whey protein and mixed vegetables,

My meals are usually about 2 and a half or 3 hours apart. I also have snacks (between meals) an apple or a banana during the day and mixed vegetables towards the night. I also sometimes switch up whatever carb I have in the meal with rice cakes with peanutbutter on them. I try to keep the shake meal my pre workout meal.
            I also snack on nuts (almonds, peanuts, walnuts) and beef jerky sometimes (ussually at night).

I take a fish oil supplement on days I dont happen to eat any fish, ussually about 20 calories worth...

how does that look to you?
            I don't think you would like the milk, skim is a lot less delicious but If you think it'll make some real difference then so be it. Would eliminating it all together be really beneficial? (I saw you say no milk in Whey shakes before... I'm curious: why not?)

I have a friend who is an anti carb finatic...and is always reminding me that some vegetables have a lot of carbs... is that something to really care about? I eat vegetables usually to fill me up when im hungry but feel i shouldn't be eating much more. I mainly eat broccoli, Brussels sprouts and spinach but I do often throw in some carrots, peas, corn, and Lima beans...which i hear are starchy

I also love peanut butter. Is a lot of peanut butter too much fat? I tend to eat it mainly towards the night, its surprisingly good if mixed with chocolate flavored whey into a paste (with milk or even water)... I often put almonds and cinnamon in addition to that....

I know people who like to add fiber supplements (those tasteless powders) to foods they make, think that's worthwhile?
            How do you feel about beef jerky? The kind I eat is really low sugar and fat (high sodium though).

I also have some questions about training and cardio.
            I often end up training late at night, should I eat carbs after training or not..should I lessen the amount (that's what I've been doing)
            Does it matter what time you train? If it makes a big difference I will make an effort to get it done in the morning.
            I also love high intensity cardio, I am part of a boxing gym and a lot of my cardio is training or sparring... and I like to keep it intense and in intervals even when I do cardio besides that. I do cardio everyday I train (almost everyday) and lift beforehand almost every time.
            Do you think doing all the high intensity training is going to hurt my results a lot? I still have plenty of fat to lose too.

I also have heard conflicting advice about losing weight and gaining muscle. I want to do both. I have heard you should get lean first. What I'm asking is, should I try to keep my calories low and my cardio high until I drop my body fat to around where I want it and then start playing with adding calories and changing my cardio?

I know that's a lot of text and a lot of questions but thanks so much for all the help you've already given me and good luck with any upcoming shows!

Comment

• Originally posted by I am catastrophe View Post
              Hey, before when I first started reading this thread, muscular development wouldn't let me post a topic...but now that I can I have to give you a warning... this post is about to be long :P

First of all I'd like to thank you Alex for your advice on this thread. I've read a lot of good advice on this forum that has really helped me continue to reach my goals. However, THIS thread in particular has been fantastic! I really appreciate what you've been doing

I lifted occasionally from the end of high school and into college ...but it was more like playing around (looking back on it) and I never stuck to it for long enough. And since I had gained ALOT of weight since highschool I decided to change a few things this last year. I got quick results the first few months but then after that it has been a process (which I have grown to enjoy)

Before I started following some of your advice, I was getting results but it would always be one of two things. I'd either be losing fat and muscle, or go through a period of gaining a lot of muscle and some fat. I would plateau in my strength training so I'd start trying to lose some weight...and vice versa... which was working but wasn't much fun. My current training and diet has me gaining in strength while keeping my weight...or sometimes lowering it. Its slow and steady but overall more effective... a ton more enjoyable ....and a lot less work! And I have this thread to thank for that.

Anyway I do have some questions for you. I don't really have my diet too strict. I just try to follow a few guidelines with the foods I eat (and when I eat them). But here is what it looks like (i often switch things around or add and remove things but this is really the core of my diet)

meal one:
              7 eggs (1 egg 6 egg whites) and either a cup of oats (oatmeal with 1% milk) or a bowl of Wheaties cereal

meal two:
              chicken (grilled chicken breast) or canned fish and white or brown rice sometimes with black or red beans

meal three:
              Whey shake with milk or Whey shake with water and a packet of Quaker oats apples and cinnamon instant mix (low sugar)

meal four:
              chicken (grilled breast) or canned fish and a sweet potato

meal five: steak , or a stir fry(chicken pork or steak), or some fish (tuna swordfish or salmon)...and vegetables (usually broccoli or Brussels sprouts)

meal six: cottage cheese (1% fat) and/or peanut butter (natural) with whey protein and mixed vegetables,

My meals are usually about 2 and a half or 3 hours apart. I also have snacks (between meals) an apple or a banana during the day and mixed vegetables towards the night. I also sometimes switch up whatever carb I have in the meal with rice cakes with peanutbutter on them. I try to keep the shake meal my pre workout meal.
              I also snack on nuts (almonds, peanuts, walnuts) and beef jerky sometimes (ussually at night).

I take a fish oil supplement on days I dont happen to eat any fish, ussually about 20 calories worth...

how does that look to you?
              I don't think you would like the milk, skim is a lot less delicious but If you think it'll make some real difference then so be it. Would eliminating it all together be really beneficial? (I saw you say no milk in Whey shakes before... I'm curious: why not?)

I have a friend who is an anti carb finatic...and is always reminding me that some vegetables have a lot of carbs... is that something to really care about? I eat vegetables usually to fill me up when im hungry but feel i shouldn't be eating much more. I mainly eat broccoli, Brussels sprouts and spinach but I do often throw in some carrots, peas, corn, and Lima beans...which i hear are starchy

I also love peanut butter. Is a lot of peanut butter too much fat? I tend to eat it mainly towards the night, its surprisingly good if mixed with chocolate flavored whey into a paste (with milk or even water)... I often put almonds and cinnamon in addition to that....

I know people who like to add fiber supplements (those tasteless powders) to foods they make, think that's worthwhile?
              How do you feel about beef jerky? The kind I eat is really low sugar and fat (high sodium though).

I also have some questions about training and cardio.
              I often end up training late at night, should I eat carbs after training or not..should I lessen the amount (that's what I've been doing)
              Does it matter what time you train? If it makes a big difference I will make an effort to get it done in the morning.
              I also love high intensity cardio, I am part of a boxing gym and a lot of my cardio is training or sparring... and I like to keep it intense and in intervals even when I do cardio besides that. I do cardio everyday I train (almost everyday) and lift beforehand almost every time.
              Do you think doing all the high intensity training is going to hurt my results a lot? I still have plenty of fat to lose too.

I also have heard conflicting advice about losing weight and gaining muscle. I want to do both. I have heard you should get lean first. What I'm asking is, should I try to keep my calories low and my cardio high until I drop my body fat to around where I want it and then start playing with adding calories and changing my cardio?

I know that's a lot of text and a lot of questions but thanks so much for all the help you've already given me and good luck with any upcoming shows!
              First of all, im sure i will miss some of your questions here but if i do, feel free to ask again.. Ok bro, thanks for what you have said about my thread here. I dont often answer in detail because i was either dieting so hard (lol) or not sure how serious the person is.. Anyways, you seem serious and i would love to help.

Ok, second of all, your diet looks sound. I would consider a few more whites in meal 1.. Also, your diet has plenty of fiber... brown rice, veggetables, oatmeal..

Also, pb is great stuff but high in fat that i think can be subsituted with almonds. try 1 oz of roasted no salt almonds..

But its really not the end of the world if you keep some pb in there if you have a sweet tooth for it.. i love it too, but tends to fatten me up.

I surely would use skim milk or even swith to just water for your shakes as milk does have carbs, even sugars, and more than you think..

So re consider that.. If your trying to lean up and want to cut corners, water instead of milk might help quite a bit. I would also not add the fish oil. Especially if your eating some fish every week.. For sure avoid the snacking, i you do snack, try celery or drink diet soda, diet root beer has zero cafeine .... late night snacking is not good as the nuts and jerkey will add to your overall bodyfat..
              as far as training, if you train early it jacks your metabolism up so you burn more calories thoughout the day and some hIT cardio is good for burnng fat. Mix your cardio sessions up and consider training seperate from cardio to jack your metabolism up twice a day..

Late night training is not advised in my eyes cuz your post training meal should be your highest carb meal along with the first meal of the day.. if you train late, thats a double edge sword, you really dont want a big carb meal before bed.. So, consider changing your training time to earlier.. Hope i was of some help bro! keep going strong
              www.prepbyalex.com

Comment

• question

how many sets do you average per bodypart!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by tornquad2 View Post
                  how many sets do you average per bodypart!!!
                  12-16 sets per bodypart
                  www.prepbyalex.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Alex A View Post
                    First of all, im sure i will miss some of your questions here but if i do, feel free to ask again.. Ok bro, thanks for what you have said about my thread here. I dont often answer in detail because i was either dieting so hard (lol) or not sure how serious the person is.. Anyways, you seem serious and i would love to help.

Ok, second of all, your diet looks sound. I would consider a few more whites in meal 1.. Also, your diet has plenty of fiber... brown rice, veggetables, oatmeal..

Also, pb is great stuff but high in fat that i think can be substituted with almonds. try 1 oz of roasted no salt almonds..

But its really not the end of the world if you keep some pb in there if you have a sweet tooth for it.. i love it too, but tends to fatten me up.

I surely would use skim milk or even swith to just water for your shakes as milk does have carbs, even sugars, and more than you think..

So re consider that.. If your trying to lean up and want to cut corners, water instead of milk might help quite a bit. I would also not add the fish oil. Especially if your eating some fish every week.. For sure avoid the snacking, i you do snack, try celery or drink diet soda, diet root beer has zero cafeine .... late night snacking is not good as the nuts and jerkey will add to your overall bodyfat..
                    as far as training, if you train early it jacks your metabolism up so you burn more calories thoughout the day and some hIT cardio is good for burnng fat. Mix your cardio sessions up and consider training seperate from cardio to jack your metabolism up twice a day..

Late night training is not advised in my eyes cuz your post training meal should be your highest carb meal along with the first meal of the day.. if you train late, thats a double edge sword, you really dont want a big carb meal before bed.. So, consider changing your training time to earlier.. Hope i was of some help bro! keep going strong
                    Thanks you got the important ones
                    I switched to weight training in the morning and the cardio in the evening the past few days and eliminated the fatty snacks at night and the milk entirely (looking at it your right, I didn't realize it had that much sugar) I certainly feel lighter, also gave me some serious extra hunger to add in a few more egg whites in the morning . I was really excited for this week but I got a nasty cold this morning, its really taken a lot out of me (lack of appetite, concentration, and energy)

Thanks for working through my questions but I actually have a few more .
                    I've been adding salt to things, I never used to do this but after switching my foods everything was a little more bland and it seemed to really make a difference. I'm 21 and get a lot of exercise (I feel like I must sweat a lot of it out) so I figure high blood pressure isn't really something for me to worry about...but I also don't know jack shit :P.... is there a problem with a high sodium diet?

Those kinda starchy vegetables I mentioned (carrots, peas, corn, lima beans), is it ok for me to eat them at night (to curb my hunger?) or should I really stick to something like celery and spinach

What do you think of soy. I've never really cared for tofu and such but its a lean protein source (not to mention has many health benefits) and I'm always up for more variety, was thinking about experiementing with it.

Whats your opinion on fruit?

Lastly, at this point no one would consider me fat (well body builders might...but I have a little ab starting to show :P) but I am defiantely not as lean as I want. would it be best for me to try to lean down to the low body fat percentage I want and then start trying to add some serious muscle (by maybe lowing the intense cardio and upping my calories slowly)

Tommorrow I'm training heavy sick or not

By the way thanks for your time and your awesome, you've really made a big difference to me. Maybe when I find my camera Ill show you what I mean

Comment

• Originally posted by I am catastrophe View Post
                      Thanks you got the important ones
                      I switched to weight training in the morning and the cardio in the evening the past few days and eliminated the fatty snacks at night and the milk entirely (looking at it your right, I didn't realize it had that much sugar) I certainly feel lighter, also gave me some serious extra hunger to add in a few more egg whites in the morning . I was really excited for this week but I got a nasty cold this morning, its really taken a lot out of me (lack of appetite, concentration, and energy)

Thanks for working through my questions but I actually have a few more .
                      I've been adding salt to things, I never used to do this but after switching my foods everything was a little more bland and it seemed to really make a difference. I'm 21 and get a lot of exercise (I feel like I must sweat a lot of it out) so I figure high blood pressure isn't really something for me to worry about...but I also don't know jack shit :P.... is there a problem with a high sodium diet?

Those kinda starchy vegetables I mentioned (carrots, peas, corn, lima beans), is it ok for me to eat them at night (to curb my hunger?) or should I really stick to something like celery and spinach

What do you think of soy. I've never really cared for tofu and such but its a lean protein source (not to mention has many health benefits) and I'm always up for more variety, was thinking about experiementing with it.

Whats your opinion on fruit?

Lastly, at this point no one would consider me fat (well body builders might...but I have a little ab starting to show :P) but I am defiantely not as lean as I want. would it be best for me to try to lean down to the low body fat percentage I want and then start trying to add some serious muscle (by maybe lowing the intense cardio and upping my calories slowly)

Tommorrow I'm training heavy sick or not

By the way thanks for your time and your awesome, you've really made a big difference to me. Maybe when I find my camera Ill show you what I mean
                      Glad your very motivated to follow a structured eating plan. You really dont need to worry about sodium as long as you have a nice potasium balance which your diet does. And since you dont have a blood pressure issue you really dont need to worry at all.

My diet is high in sodium as i eat plenty of seasonings high in sodium and high sodium/low sugar sauce and mustard to most foods. I would continue with the variety of veggies, but keep in mind some have some sugar so be cafefull. Corn and carrots for example. As far as soy goes, whey is just a better muscle building type of protein. Anyways, hope your workout goes good too!
                      www.prepbyalex.com

Comment

• dedsign a program

Alex,

I am sure I could find it somewhere on these boards if I looked long enough-but have that thing called a job, wife, kids, etc. so here it goes.

Been at the weight lifting for about a year. Like the results so far, but feel most of the time idon't know what I am doing. I worked out my bi's and tri's on Monday, supposed to work on the chest today, but it is sore from Monday. Still want to work out though.

I can get to the weights three days a week, sometimes four. What would be the best schedule for muscle groups? I figure it would take over a two week period. Like week one MWF on Monday do chest and back, on Wed legs, on Fri arms and shoulders. Week two Monday should I just start over? I do cardio on the non weight days.

I hope I am not being too confusing. I like the results I am seeing, arms are bigger, more chest definition. Too cheap for a trainer at this point and I am not sold on some of the trainers I have seen in action. I have been using Shapefit.com for examples of the different exercises.

Other than that, I would appreciate any light you can shed.

Thanks!

Comment

• Alex,
                          When doing let's say 45 min. cardio - but aiming to get a 130-150 heart rate - looks like I have to push the incline up a lot. Is there an incline & speed combo - that gets the ticker going - without running on the treadmill?

thanks
                          Speedy

Comment

• Originally posted by speedy2 View Post
                            Alex,
                            When doing let's say 45 min. cardio - but aiming to get a 130-150 heart rate - looks like I have to push the incline up a lot. Is there an incline & speed combo - that gets the ticker going - without running on the treadmill?

thanks
                            Speedy
                            My calves get really sore when the incline goes way up and others have told me this too, make the whole session uncomfortable. I would consider using a lifecycle or some other type of cardio all together.

If your having to run on the treadmill that is an indication that your building a tollerance for it. Like myself, i have to run in order to get a swet going..
                            www.prepbyalex.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Alex A View Post
                              My calves get really sore when the incline goes way up and others have told me this too, make the whole session uncomfortable. I would consider using a lifecycle or some other type of cardio all together.

If your having to run on the treadmill that is an indication that your building a tollerance for it. Like myself, i have to run in order to get a swet going..

Yeah my legs are strong - incline doesn't bother my calves though -
                              so would you think the incline thing is ok if it gets my ticker going?
                              Really have no other thing to use -& it's my morning fasting cardio

thanks for replying - you are always so nice & helpful

Comment

• Originally posted by speedy2 View Post
                                Yeah my legs are strong - incline doesn't bother my calves though -
                                so would you think the incline thing is ok if it gets my ticker going?
                                Really have no other thing to use -& it's my morning fasting cardio

thanks for replying - you are always so nice & helpful
                                No problem. Here is the thing, you have to get your heart rate up and get a good swet going in order to burn calories.
                                I say, whatever it takes, a fast walk, incline, whatever is needed to get you sweting. When i really transformed myself from fat to fit, i did this using the escalating stairs.
                                www.prepbyalex.com

Comment

Working...
                                X