Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Any beginners need help, just ask

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by outspoken1 View Post
    Hi Alex, I have just begun working out again. I'm looking for some advice on what would be a good work out plan for me. Im 5'5, 32 and thinking about getting into figure comps. one day. I currently way about 180. Check my pics and tell me what u think I should do. I'm at the gym 3-4 times per week. Doing cardio 30-45 minutes per visit. Thanks!!
    If you live in the los angeles area there are a lot of good shows here and i can help you pick a good show to get started. And point you in the right direction

Also if you wanted to send some pics or get a better evaluation, its up to you. You can email me. prepbyalex@aol.com

JJ2006: Im glad i can be of help. My opinion on this is that anything extreme is going to be really tough. Very low carbs, ketosis, etc. it is going to be hard to sustain that type of diet. I would not suggest it. Carb cycling works, but i feel that a steady amount of carbs, protein and some healthy fats will work best for you.
    Get shredded! check out the transformations at
    www.prepbyalex.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Alex A View Post
      Your not really that old at all. You just have to get over the years of in activity and take it from there. I have seen some great bbers well into their forties and older. Dont Feel that your too old. You are young enough to get started!
      Thanks for encouragement Alex. I will report back in a few months & let you know how it is going. I am really determined and your encouragement has helped. Love your 'shredded' look.

Warm Wishes
      Ev.

Comment

• Originally posted by evanna View Post
        Thanks for encouragement Alex. I will report back in a few months & let you know how it is going. I am really determined and your encouragement has helped. Love your 'shredded' look.

Warm Wishes
        Ev.
        Keep in touch and if your not feeling motivated drop me a line, here or email. I am also updating my website with some good before and after pics.

Also, its good to network with others that are passionate and supportive toward you.

Hopefully you have someone close to you to share your thoughts as times can be challenging and when your emotions get involved that is when people tend to either step it up or step back to how they have always lived life.

For me, i have always gone at it alone. It usually doesnt work for most but if it does, thats great. Either way, you will have support here if needed. Take care!
        www.prepbyalex.com

Comment

I wasnt/am sure what the question is? if you can be specific maybe i can help.

I am also married, we have a 2 year old daughter and my wife is due in March, i have a full time teaching job, and attend all the regional NPC shows in California, USA and compete at the nationals.
          I am also doing the prep for more than a few guys with upcoming shows. I also help people in detail with specific diets and plans. This thread is to answer questions, not really write up diets and training programs.

As far as my training in the gym goes, i have a distinct purpose each day and get the job done fast and efficient along with my own nutritional plan. I dont compete to just compete, i try to stay in contest shape all year long. When i work with a person on a plan to get in shape, its not to just get in shape, its to stay in shape forever. My plans/diet is an eating and training program that can be followed all year long.
          I can appreciate the load on your plate and Good luck with number 2!

Specifically what I am asking is-what muscle groups can/should I work out on the same day? If I can workout 3 days per week (cardio on the other 3, rest on 7) Is it ok to do it like this:

Mon: Chest and legs
          Wed: Arms and back
          Fri: Shoulder and abs

About me, I am 46 and always been in good shape. Started working with weights a year ago and have seen some decent gains. Trying to be more regimented/educated about it. Any advice would help.

Thanks,

Jim

Comment

• Originally posted by fitnut123 View Post
            I can appreciate the load on your plate and Good luck with number 2!

Specifically what I am asking is-what muscle groups can/should I work out on the same day? If I can workout 3 days per week (cardio on the other 3, rest on 7) Is it ok to do it like this:

Mon: Chest and legs
            Wed: Arms and back
            Fri: Shoulder and abs

About me, I am 46 and always been in good shape. Started working with weights a year ago and have seen some decent gains. Trying to be more regimented/educated about it. Any advice would help.

Thanks,

Jim
            Hi Jim

I realize your busy life and i can totally relate.. There is never enough time in the day. and I tell you, if you can only get in the gym a few days a week that sure is better than nothing at all. Your plan sounds solid for the time your going to put in.

But, i would do my best to try to squeeze an extra day or two in there so you can hit each body part harder and spend more time on the specific bodypart.

For example. chest and legs is going to be tough, so is arms and back. Because when you train arms that is two bodyparts right there and then having to train back is going to be tough.

Same with Legs and chest.. legs are three bodyparts..i.e quads, hams and calves then chest also, that will be a challenge. If you can get two extra days in the gym, then you can really focus on one major bodypart per day and do some cardio at the end of each session. It would be more productive. But, if you can only get in 3 days per week, then go for it, Just keep the sets down a bit and work efficiently.
            www.prepbyalex.com

Comment

• I had a good time at the nationals this year despite not placing as high as I wanted, i still did pretty good. I was lucky to be asked to do this interview with Sean Ray.

I thought that was pretty cool. The video is up, in the video section. Here is the link if you guys want to check it out.

http://mdtv.musculardevelopment.com/
              www.prepbyalex.com

Comment

• cool interview. How is offseason going? already back at it full force? My prep for Jr Nationals starts March 1. To be the best you have to beat the best, time to step up my prep by knowing my competition is top notch.

Good luck in 09. Maybe Ill run into you at nationals in a few yrs.

Ss

Comment

• Originally posted by scoobysnacks View Post
                  cool interview. How is offseason going? already back at it full force? My prep for Jr Nationals starts March 1. To be the best you have to beat the best, time to step up my prep by knowing my competition is top notch.

Good luck in 09. Maybe Ill run into you at nationals in a few yrs.

Ss
                  Glad to hear things are going good dude! I have faith you will bring your best soon and keep getting better. Your young and smart, willing to learn.

For me, I know my best is yet to come as Im a student of the sport always.

I can take a good punch too. This years prep was great untill the last few days i was thrown a little off course with a few changes i normally dont do.

I learned a lot about traveling and competing at these high level shows. See i look at it as If you learn from your mistakes you are growing as a bber.

Once you think you know it all, you will not get better. I have a lot of growing to do. The thing for me is that i love the process.

My off season doesn't change too much as Im not after putting on massive size. I'm in the sport for stength, condition, health and being, looking and feeling fit.

This next year,Im pulling the battery out of my scale all the way as Im just going to focus on bringing the best possible condition i can and let the cards land were they may. I wish you the best too.

The nationals is a humbling experience, i love the intensity of competing against the best. I figure it will take me a few times to nail it away from home, but if i do so, before im done competing( im not even thinking of quiting for a long while though) i would be one happy dude!
                  www.prepbyalex.com

Comment

Hi Jim

I realize your busy life and i can totally relate.. There is never enough time in the day. and I tell you, if you can only get in the gym a few days a week that sure is better than nothing at all. Your plan sounds solid for the time your going to put in.

But, i would do my best to try to squeeze an extra day or two in there so you can hit each body part harder and spend more time on the specific bodypart.

For example. chest and legs is going to be tough, so is arms and back. Because when you train arms that is two bodyparts right there and then having to train back is going to be tough.

Same with Legs and chest.. legs are three bodyparts..i.e quads, hams and calves then chest also, that will be a challenge. If you can get two extra days in the gym, then you can really focus on one major bodypart per day and do some cardio at the end of each session. It would be more productive. But, if you can only get in 3 days per week, then go for it, Just keep the sets down a bit and work efficiently.
                    Alex,
                    Thanks for the reply. I think I am starting to understand. It is better to work one body part and do some cardio than try and hit it all at once. I can actually go to the gym 5-6 days per week. That will allow me to focus on one muscle group at a time. I was just doing too many muscle groups at one visit and doing cardio only on the other days. It does get you pretty tired and then you might not do as well on the other muscles.

I'll change this up and let you know how it goes.

Happy Holidays!

Jim

Comment

• Originally posted by fitnut123 View Post
                      Alex,
                      Thanks for the reply. I think I am starting to understand. It is better to work one body part and do some cardio than try and hit it all at once. I can actually go to the gym 5-6 days per week. That will allow me to focus on one muscle group at a time. I was just doing too many muscle groups at one visit and doing cardio only on the other days. It does get you pretty tired and then you might not do as well on the other muscles.

I'll change this up and let you know how it goes.

Happy Holidays!

Jim
                      Happy Holidays to you too Jim! glad your getting started before the new year. I hope things go well in the gym and with the family. Even with your family life, the time you devote to yourself by training will trickle down to those around you.
                      www.prepbyalex.com

Comment

• hey wats up ? my name is jacob im 15 ive been lifting for about a year and a half .Im 200 lbs. mixed between muscle and body fat ive tooken up powerlifting for my school . i was wondering how can i loss most of my body fat and still build strength .this would help me out a lot .

Comment

• Alex, as I can see through this thread you have got your hands full! But I had a quick question for you or anyone who would know the answer. Im looking to get a diet specialized for me considering my work out schedule and my goals but I am having problems getting this help. I guess what I am asking is where or who I could contact to help me with this? Thanks in advance!

Comment

• Originally posted by jakebrake68 View Post
                            hey wats up ? my name is jacob im 15 ive been lifting for about a year and a half .Im 200 lbs. mixed between muscle and body fat ive tooken up powerlifting for my school . i was wondering how can i loss most of my body fat and still build strength .this would help me out a lot .

Hi Jacob, i give you credit for starting lifting at your age. I started lifting in high school and i was about the same age. At the time, i didnt know much about diet and did zero cardio. Anyways. Jacob, here goes.

You should continue your weight training program but start adding some cardio a few days per week. Start off with 3 days of cardio at 20-30 per day after your weight training or if you can do it at home or later in the day that is fine.

This will help lose bodyfat. Continue to lift to build muslce but focus on dropping un necessary lbs. So dont watch the scale( judge yourself by how much you weigh) Just go by your appearance, how you feel and how your clothes fit.

You need to start planning your meals and even bring food to school with you or have food ready to eat in the morning and when you come home. Focus on eating good lean meat, complex carbs such as rice or potatos, veggetables and small pieces of fruit as well. Spread your meals out throuhout the day so you dont over eat, 4-6 meals per day would be great. It is probably a big change from how your living now but trust me, you will not regret.

Rflori92: I sent you a PM and you get get back with any questions .
                            www.prepbyalex.com

Comment

• Whats up Alex?
                              My name is Shaun i currently just got back int the gym after about 5yrs.. Im currently 25yrs old
                              6'0'ft tall an 225 with about 20% bf.. I used to be around 180lbs an 7-8%bf but it took alotta cardio an weight training to an dieting to stay around that weight.. I know my way around the gym pretty well an have no problem sticking to a training routine but a little trouble with the diet. I tend to slip hear an there but can get it under control. So heres my questions.. Im not looking to be in any comp. just simply for myself.

1. Id like to be about 200- 225 lbs my current weight but just solid with a lower bf%..
                              What kinda of diet an training would you suggest to cut some weight an or swap my fat for muscle? Should i be doing any cardio or just stick to the weights?
                              2. What should my protein intake be to maximize my work in the gym?

An any other healpful tips would be appreciated..

Comment

• Another thing... I have tree trunk legs an calves.. How can i thin them out an add sum nice shape an definition?? What are the best ways.. They only only been defined an well shaped at my lowest bf% numbers an still didnt shape how i would have liked..

Comment

Working...
                                X