Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Any beginners need help, just ask

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need some delt help. My shoulder routine is : 4 sets each 10 reps.

Seated shoulder press, lateral raises, cable lateral raises, reverse pec deck, dumbbell front raises, upright rows, dumbbell shrugs, and smith machine shrugs.

My traps are pretty good, but my delts are not coming a long as well as I hoped. Any suggestions or pointers?

Comment

• Originally posted by Goodhurt View Post
      I need some delt help. My shoulder routine is : 4 sets each 10 reps.

Seated shoulder press, lateral raises, cable lateral raises, reverse pec deck, dumbbell front raises, upright rows, dumbbell shrugs, and smith machine shrugs.

My traps are pretty good, but my delts are not coming a long as well as I hoped. Any suggestions or pointers?
      I would do this. Warm up with a one or two light sets then go for some heavy and stict form presses.. One week i would do barbell presss and one week i would do dumbell presses.. mix the two up.

I would go heavy, strict and do atleast 4 working sets.. I would then grab some dumbells, your already warm.. i would then bust out atleast 4-5 sets of side laterals. very strict form.. no swinging at all.. very strict..

Instead of the peck deck for rear delts... I would do , bent over laterals.. 4-5 nice sets...

I would skip the front raises and do some upright rows, very strict, then finish with dumbell shrugs.. some light sets, with really good form as full of range of motion as you can. then go heavier..

I love training shoulders and probably my best bodypart. This muscle group should be taken very seriously as your shoulders along with quads are the two key muscle groups that make your frame and give you the nice profile from the front.. The main thing is... bust out very good, clean sets! dont half ass or cut corners.. hope your workouts go well!
      Get shredded! check out the transformations at
      www.prepbyalex.com

Comment

• Alex I thank you for that, I will take your advice and use it. And I think that it's funny you said something about quads because they along with my shoulders are my hard gain parts. Thanks again for your help.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goodhurt View Post
          Alex I thank you for that, I will take your advice and use it. And I think that it's funny you said something about quads because they along with my shoulders are my hard gain parts. Thanks again for your help.
          Sure thing. And what you should strive to prioritize those body parts, thus taking your weaknesses and them becoming your strengths.
          www.prepbyalex.com

Comment

• I am been in out of the gym for years... The frustration I have with working out is the fact that I can't gain weight. I am 6'3" weighing 175lbs.

I have tried everything but cannot seem to gain any weight just get more shredded. Like to be at 190-195lbs

any ideas?
            Check Out the MUSCULAR DEVELOPMENT STORE - http://www.musculardevelopmentstore.com/

Comment

• Hey Alex, great thread and thanx for the assistance..

I am just getting back into lifting. I have slacked off for about 10 years and I am way out of shape... basically a beginner once again.. which really suck balls!! In my prime, I was lean and mean 175lbs and benching 315. I am hoping to drop like 20 lbs in the next 6 weeks and at the same time increase my strength.

I'm 5'7" / 197 lbs / over weight and borderline obesity according to the BMI Chart. I dont feel obese but I do have plenty of fat to loose mostly in my gut and back (yuck!!).

My question is what should I be taking/eating pre workout for energy during my workout.

My regular diet consists of :
              Breakfast 4 hardboiled eggs and 2 packs of instant oatmeal (one plain and one flavored Quaker weight control)
              snack 1 scoop of protien shake (VPX Zero Impact / 30g = 134cals)
              Lunch 6 to 8 oz of chicken breast/fish/or turkey meat
              snack another protien shake (same)
              Dinner- Same a lunch but add a vegetable or salad and rice or mashed potato.

I work out prior to dinner and after I get home from work.

Thanks for your input..

Comment

• I started lifting weights a little over a year ago when I was 17 and weighing about 160 pounds. I lifted for the first 7 months or so in a bodybuilding style, but then switched over to a Powerliting style. I competed in several meets but now I am no longer able to compete in powerlifting and I want to get back into the bodybuilding scene. I was wondering if you could give me some insight on my training split. My stats are 18 years old 6' and around 185 pounds. Im not 100% sure on Body fat but it isn't much. Here is my current training split:

Monday - Arms (Triceps & Biceps)
                Tuesday - Shoulders
                Wednesday - Calves Forearms and Abs
                Thursday - Chest
                Friday - Legs
                Saturday - Back/Traps

I put arms first because my arms are really stuborn and wont grow. Does this split look Suitable for a Begginer? Also Should i train my arms on their own day or Should I group them with Triceps/Chest and Biceps/Back? Thanks for any and All Help!
                What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger!! - Slipknot

Comment

• Originally posted by The Guillotine View Post
                  I am been in out of the gym for years... The frustration I have with working out is the fact that I can't gain weight. I am 6'3" weighing 175lbs.

I have tried everything but cannot seem to gain any weight just get more shredded. Like to be at 190-195lbs

any ideas?
                  I know everyone probably tells you to eat more.. but.. i say eat every two hours and eat lots of red meat meat and carbs with each of your first five meals.

Follow the basic plan of.... Eat a lot, eat often, train heavy and be consistant and give it time you will gain quality size. Heavy lifting is a must!
                  Last edited by Alex A; March 21, 2009, 12:08 AM.
                  www.prepbyalex.com

Comment

• Originally posted by snagster View Post
                    I am just getting back into lifting. I have slacked off for about 10 years and I am way out of shape... basically a beginner once again.. which really suck balls!! In my prime, I was lean and mean 175lbs and benching 315. I am hoping to drop like 20 lbs in the next 6 weeks and at the same time increase my strength.

I'm 5'7" / 197 lbs / over weight and borderline obesity according to the BMI Chart. I dont feel obese but I do have plenty of fat to loose mostly in my gut and back (yuck!!).

My question is what should I be taking/eating pre workout for energy during my workout.

My regular diet consists of :
                    Breakfast 4 hardboiled eggs and 2 packs of instant oatmeal (one plain and one flavored Quaker weight control)
                    snack 1 scoop of protien shake (VPX Zero Impact / 30g = 134cals)
                    Lunch 6 to 8 oz of chicken breast/fish/or turkey meat
                    snack another protien shake (same)
                    Dinner- Same a lunch but add a vegetable or salad and rice or mashed potato.

I work out prior to dinner and after I get home from work.

Thanks for your input..
                    In my opinion bro your not eating enough!

To be honest, your diet sounds damn clean..

but people dont realize that diet alone will not give you a bodybuilders look( nice and lean with muscle). Its just part of the puzzle. I dont think your pre workout meal is the issue.

You need to get a whole plan going.. The right kind of training, diet, supplements, cardio, etc.. I bet by summer time you can be well on your way to getting the look you want.

i cant post the whole plan here on the board because i would need to see pics and work with you for a few months. I dont follow a cut and past program but i customize each plan for everyone because everyone has different needs and goals. Check out my website some time bro.. I love this kind of stuff. Trust me, i can get you on track quick and before you know it, the fat will be shedding off and you will can be turning heads by summer..

No pressure, just something to think about. I m up for the challenge.. Keep in touch brother.. If you have any questions email me
                    Last edited by Alex A; March 21, 2009, 12:09 AM.
                    www.prepbyalex.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Sic&Twisted101 View Post
                      I started lifting weights a little over a year ago when I was 17 and weighing about 160 pounds. I lifted for the first 7 months or so in a bodybuilding style, but then switched over to a Powerliting style. I competed in several meets but now I am no longer able to compete in powerlifting and I want to get back into the bodybuilding scene. I was wondering if you could give me some insight on my training split. My stats are 18 years old 6' and around 185 pounds. Im not 100% sure on Body fat but it isn't much. Here is my current training split:

Monday - Arms (Triceps & Biceps)
                      Tuesday - Shoulders
                      Wednesday - Calves Forearms and Abs
                      Thursday - Chest
                      Friday - Legs
                      Saturday - Back/Traps

I put arms first because my arms are really stuborn and wont grow. Does this split look Suitable for a Begginer? Also Should i train my arms on their own day or Should I group them with Triceps/Chest and Biceps/Back? Thanks for any and All Help!
                      Bro to be quite honest with you, i like your split.. I would though train quads seperate from hams.. so you can just blast the shit out of your quads then hit calves.

But i would not hit quads, hams and calves on the same day..

Arms on the same day is fine, its a long workout but its actually the way i train my arms. The rest of your plan seems good too. I would just put hams on your shoulder day.. also get your diet on check big time.. Get a good diet plan going and stick to it bro.. you will be making serious progress before you know it.
                      www.prepbyalex.com

Comment

• Alex,

I believe i am in a common place in my life that alot of people are so hopefully you can help me figure out where to go. First, i am 6'0'' 240 lbs and 30 years old. I am in the military so i am active on a weekly basis (i.e. 30 minutes of PT at a minimum 3 times per week) yet i am not as svelte as i would like to be. I lift 5 days a week and sometimes supplement my work outs with cardio (30 minutes running a 10 min mile pace). I take Optimum Whey protein and Animal pack for vitamins but yet i am very hazy on what i need to do to lose the weight i have in order to get into better shape. I have good genetics but gain fat easily ( i think that means i am a mesomorph). Reading the beginners thread it says if i am overweight by 20lbs i should focus on losing weight before i set my goals on getting bigger. Dose this mean i need to not take in protein as much? What should i be eating? a normal day for me looks like:

7AM - Oatmeal with 2 scoops of protein powder and 4 boiled egg whites
                        9AM - Protein shake (2 scoops)
                        11AM - Chicken and Quinoa with some brocilli or Yogurt
                        1PM - Yogurt or Fruit
                        2PM - In gym till 4PM
                        4PM - Protein Shake
                        6PM/7PM - Usually Large Steak, Quinoa, Mixed vegetable

Is there any advice you can give so that i may get my weight (fat) down so i can get to the point where i can consider size? I know (or at least my little brother, who is in VERY good shape) tells me that diet is everything and cardio is how you manipulate your body...i think what i am getting at is i am lost and have no idea which way to go or what to do at this point because i have been doing this for a year and still have too much fat on me....can you help me ?

Comment

• OT... Congrats for the baby ALEX!!!

Comment

• Sorry for not posting in a little while guys, i have tending to my 3 day old boy. He arrived a few days early..

I was at a bbing show in San Diego.. pre judging just ended and my wife told me her water broke and shes going into labor.

I raced to the hospital 120miles away. I made it in plenty of time, he was born Sunday at 800am a shredded 7lbs 2oz.
                            www.prepbyalex.com

Comment

• hey Alex... Thanks for the input..

Originally posted by Alex A View Post
                              In my opinion bro your not eating enough!

To be honest, your diet sounds damn clean..

but people dont realize that diet alone will not give you a bodybuilders look( nice and lean with muscle). Its just part of the puzzle. I dont think your pre workout meal is the issue.

You need to get a whole plan going.. The right kind of training, diet, supplements, cardio, etc.. I bet by summer time you can be well on your way to getting the look you want.

i cant post the whole plan here on the board because i would need to see pics and work with you for a few months. I dont follow a cut and past program but i customize each plan for everyone because everyone has different needs and goals. Check out my website some time bro.. I love this kind of stuff. Trust me, i can get you on track quick and before you know it, the fat will be shedding off and you will can be turning heads by summer..

No pressure, just something to think about. I m up for the challenge.. Keep in touch brother.. If you have any questions email me

I am kind of freaking out a little (im frustrated)... I have been sticking to my meal plan and working out every day. I took last Saturday off but that was all.... It is my weight.. I started at 201.5 dropped to 198 and then dropped to 194.. now I'm back up to 198... I dont get it..

I have been eating frozen green beans and broccoli w/a meat for dinner. I put it all on an indoor grill and let it cook.

Do you have any ideas of what may be going on or what I can do here??

I have one other issue... I historically normally get really sore for about 2 or 3 days after lifting weights and i am not getting sore lately. I feel as though I have been hittin' the weights hard too plus i'm doing 20mins of cardio working my way up to 30mins. Kinda wierd if you ask me.

Comment

• the weight might be from gaining muscle mass, and the whole thing bout not being sore than can happen its happened to me before, i just go in the next time hit it even harder and im as sore as i wouldve been from both workouts all in one

Comment

Working...
                                X