Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Any beginners need help, just ask

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alex I need some diet help. I think you are my best option right now. I am y.o. and 5'11
    240 lbs and 23%BF.(hand held). I train wiht weights 3-4 times a week right now and do cardio 4-7 times a week. I was eating 270 grams of protein and 50 or less grams of carbs with 100 grams or less of fat which comes out to about 2000 calories per day. I feel pretty strong and I have toned up a lot but my weight is the same for the past two months. Should I be cycling my carbs 3 days low and one high then repeat? Do you have an example plan I could follow?

Comment

• Originally posted by blitz2311 View Post
      Alex...wondering if you could do me a favor and review my current weight regime...plz and thx

Monday(Chest/Delts)

Bench press: 1x15, 3x6-8
      Standing barbell press: 1x15, 3x6-8, 1x15
      Flys: 1x15, 3x6-8, 1x15
      BB Rows: 1x15, 3x6-8, 1x15

Tuesday(Legs/Calves)
      Squats: 2x15, 5x5, 1x15
      Standing Calf Raise: 3x30
      Barbell Step Ups: 3x10

Wednesday (Bis/Tris)
      BB Curls: 1x15, 3x6-8, 1x15
      Dips: 3xMax
      Decline DB Curls: 1x15, 3x6-8
      ---Superset: Pinwheel DB Curls 1x15
      BB Skull Crushers: 1x15, 3x6-8
      ---Superset: Close Grip Bench Press 1x20

Thursday( Back/Traps)
      Deadlifts: 1x15, 3x6-8
      Bent rows: 1x15, 3x6-8, 1x15
      Barbell shrugs:1x15, 3x6-8, 1x15

Since I workout at home, I only have two benchs, two bars and free weights.
      That makes life a little tough when I get to working on my back/traps so any input on other exercises I can do for back/traps is appreciated.

Thx
      I would surely throw in some shruggs for traps and you dont need heavy weight. Some dumbells or a barbell with some decent poundage and go with full range of motion, 4 or 5 good working sets at the end of your shoulder workout should be fine.

Keep in mind that when working your back your pulling.. so.. any rowing exercises.. close grip and narow. I would do sets of both. wide grip and narow grip rowwing. If you have enough poundage do some deads.. if not some hypers for the lower back.
      Get shredded! check out the transformations at
      www.prepbyalex.com

Comment

• Originally posted by H.I.I.T. View Post
        Hey Alex, I've been weight training for around 3 years now, but until the past two months or so, I had not trained my legs (I know, pathetic). I try to keep my bodyfat at or below 10% all the time, so I am always fairy low on carbs, but consuming the majority of them pre and post workout. My dilemma is that every time I train legs, my upper body seems to deplete and atrophy for a few days afterward. Then, after 4-5 days, it stops and I put on most of the mass I had before within 48 hours. Does this happen to everyone at first, all the time, or is it because the body is taking from other areas to repair the legs? How do I deal with this? Any help would be appreciated.
        Thanks
        I dont really think their is anything going on here other than your getting extremely taxed from your leg workouts. I would just focus on those wheels bro to make up for lost time.

I would not even worry about any "temporary" losses in the upper body.. build up the legs and you will be more balanced.. also.. your legs will catch up then train everything equally. Good luck and kick ass on the task.
        www.prepbyalex.com

Comment

• Originally posted by ldwithb View Post
          Alex I need some diet help. I think you are my best option right now. I am y.o. and 5'11
          240 lbs and 23%BF.(hand held). I train wiht weights 3-4 times a week right now and do cardio 4-7 times a week. I was eating 270 grams of protein and 50 or less grams of carbs with 100 grams or less of fat which comes out to about 2000 calories per day. I feel pretty strong and I have toned up a lot but my weight is the same for the past two months. Should I be cycling my carbs 3 days low and one high then repeat? Do you have an example plan I could follow?
          There is much more work needed here bro.. I really think I could help you big time though! but your heading in the right direction with the part that .... YOU need some help..

I would invest in having someone work with you for a few months

I just cant see how you would feel that it was a bad mistake.. Bro, investing in learning about how to get your body in shape and how to keep it there is priceless.. Think about that...
          www.prepbyalex.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Alex A View Post
            I would surely throw in some shruggs for traps and you dont need heavy weight. Some dumbells or a barbell with some decent poundage and go with full range of motion, 4 or 5 good working sets at the end of your shoulder workout should be fine.

Keep in mind that when working your back your pulling.. so.. any rowing exercises.. close grip and narow. I would do sets of both. wide grip and narow grip rowwing. If you have enough poundage do some deads.. if not some hypers for the lower back.
            Great input as usual, I've modified my Back/Trap routine as seen below:

Deadlifts
            Bent rows (Close Grip)
            Barbell shrugs
            Bent rows (Wide Grip)
            Dumbell Shrugs

What are hypers?

Thx dude!

Comment

Great input as usual, I've modified my Back/Trap routine as seen below:

Deadlifts
              Bent rows (Close Grip)
              Barbell shrugs
              Bent rows (Wide Grip)
              Dumbell Shrugs

What are hypers?

Thx dude!
              that sounds like a really great plan. Hyperextensions are done on a machine where you lay face down with no weight but you use your bodyweight to come down then come up in extension, squeezing your spinal erectors.. its a populare piece of equipment at the gym..

what you do is put your body in position where your feet are locked in and then you lean forward... all your bodyweight comes forward. then you bring your weight back up to parallel and squeeze.

this really works the spinal erectors.. its hard to explain how to do it without seeing it.. if you need more help with this..

type in hyperextensions on google and see if their is an image of the exercise.. they really target the low back and erectors..
              keep working hard bro!!
              www.prepbyalex.com

Comment

There is much more work needed here bro.. I really think I could help you big time though! but your heading in the right direction with the part that .... YOU need some help..

I would invest in having someone work with you for a few months

I just cant see how you would feel that it was a bad mistake.. Bro, investing in learning about how to get your body in shape and how to keep it there is priceless.. Think about that...
                I am confussed. I didnt say anything about mistakes???
                I am a little strapped for cash for personal ono on one help and was looking for a little direction.

Comment

• You don't have to hire a personal trainer. Just get a friend to go with you
                  to the gym or meet someone that isn't a personal trainer. Or C, you
                  can do all of the above.
                  Ah shucks BK is fine wit me. I'm low maintenance" Beni Mama

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick D View Post
                    You don't have to hire a personal trainer. Just get a friend to go with you
                    to the gym or meet someone that isn't a personal trainer. Or C, you
                    can do all of the above.
                    We are talking about diet not training.

Comment

• I would re work the whole diet personally.

I dont like to write suggested diets because in your case, i have no idea what you look like, your lifestyle, how hard you train, how intense your doing your cardio, lifestyle, etc.. Too many factors dictate the guidance you need. But, i would start with cutting out some of the fat from your diet.
                      Last edited by Alex A; May 11, 2009, 08:09 PM.
                      www.prepbyalex.com

Comment

I am confussed. I didnt say anything about mistakes???
                        I am a little strapped for cash for personal ono on one help and was looking for a little direction.
                        I look at everything like a business and see if it makes sense. Alex will charge you $300 for 6 months(which you will look like a new man) So $300 divided by 180 days is $.60 per day. How will you get $.60 per day? Well, you will probally being saving it on food or a soda. You have high BF and nothing is a cookie cutter routine, it takes some time to work with someone to get them in maximun shape. I personally would pay Alex double if he wanted it, but I know he wants to help you more than most guys know.
                        www.prepbyalex.com

Comment

We are talking about diet not training.
                          oh okay.
                          Ah shucks BK is fine wit me. I'm low maintenance" Beni Mama

Comment

• Originally posted by pesty4077 View Post
                            I look at everything like a business and see if it makes sense. Alex will charge you $300 for 6 months(which you will look like a new man) So $300 divided by 180 days is $.60 per day. How will you get $.60 per day? Well, you will probally being saving it on food or a soda. You have high BF and nothing is a cookie cutter routine, it takes some time to work with someone to get them in maximun shape. I personally would pay Alex double if he wanted it, but I know he wants to help you more than most guys know.
                            Thanks for your post, i appreciate it.

This thread is cool for answering questions and sharing some info, but isnt a place to do a major transformation or prep. My emails are way to long and detailed. Like you said pesty, I dont do cookie cutter diets. Actually I dont even like to answer questions that are vague but require a specific answer because i might give the wrong info.
                            www.prepbyalex.com

Comment

that sounds like a really great plan. Hyperextensions are done on a machine where you lay face down with no weight but you use your bodyweight to come down then come up in extension, squeezing your spinal erectors.. its a populare piece of equipment at the gym..

what you do is put your body in position where your feet are locked in and then you lean forward... all your bodyweight comes forward. then you bring your weight back up to parallel and squeeze.

this really works the spinal erectors.. its hard to explain how to do it without seeing it.. if you need more help with this..

type in hyperextensions on google and see if their is an image of the exercise.. they really target the low back and erectors..
                              keep working hard bro!!
                              Thx for the review and motivation

I found this video: http://www.criticalbench.com/exercis...extensions.htm

Maybe I can rig something up at home since I don't have gym access.

Comment

Thx for the review and motivation

I found this video: http://www.criticalbench.com/exercis...extensions.htm

Maybe I can rig something up at home since I don't have gym access.
                                That would be a great idea. Having a strong lower back can prevent injuries. Back injuries are often caused by having a weak lower back and having weak abdominals.

So, i would surely include some exercises, like the hypers to target that area. And also, as i mentioned, you want to work opposing bodyparts, in this case the abdominals as well.
                                www.prepbyalex.com

Comment

Working...
                                X