Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Hi Everyone. Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Strength/power or hypertrophy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strength/power or hypertrophy

Should a beginner focus on building strength and power or hypertrophy?

Seems more and more people (Johnnie Jackson, Silvio Samuels, etc.) use strength training extensively in their bodybuilding.
    Dustin
    "The highest reward for a person's toil is not what they get for it, but what they become by it."
    John Ruskin

I think that a beginner should not be worried so much about focusing on the details as to specific strength vs hypertrophy program specializations, instead for the first two years, focus on just building a good overall muscular framework, using only basic compound exercises.

Bench
    Dips
    Military Press
    Squats
    Deadlifts
    Rows

Strength and hypertrophy will come with time.

A beginner should focus on developing the mind - muscle connection, use strict form, learn how to apply intensity, learn discipline, learn how their body reacts to high intensity bodybuilding exercise and especially learn how to diet properly in-order to achieve their goals .
    My Competition Prep Journal

Muscular Development Forum Rules

Comment

I used to train for muscle mass but i used low reps also, now i just focus on 6-2 rep range for muscle mass, works better. Depends what you wanna train for i suggest you pick one, strength or muscle mass?

Comment

Nuke, it is up to you as to what you want to do. It seems to be 5x5 and 3x10 are popular rep ranges. Either way, as long as you are consistant, you should make good gains, and get bigger and stronger.

Comment

Originally posted by Iceman View Post
          I used to train for muscle mass but i used low reps also, now i just focus on 6-2 rep range for muscle mass, works better. Depends what you wanna train for i suggest you pick one, strength or muscle mass?
          I meant to say 6-12reps lol

Comment

Beginners should focus on learning proper exercise execution, refining motor control, strengthening connective tissue and developing a greater tolerance to exercise. After that, they must concentrate on applying a progressive overload to continue to advance.
            Ramblings and gear: WarriorFX.com : 500-word winners in 2008

Muscular Development Forum Rules :.

Comment

Originally posted by Ultron View Post
              Nuke, it is up to you as to what you want to do. It seems to be 5x5 and 3x10 are popular rep ranges. Either way, as long as you are consistant, you should make good gains, and get bigger and stronger.
              Consistency doesn't equal productivity. In the early stages, consistency is needed for the basic adaptations (like I mentioned above)... but after that, you must force your body to break past its current fitness threshold.... you must train in a way that creates a performance inroad that is then overcompensated with growth. Focusing merely on consistency keeps some people bench pressing 225 pounds for 10 years or more...
              Ramblings and gear: WarriorFX.com : 500-word winners in 2008

Muscular Development Forum Rules :.

Comment

Consistency in the context that I gave it, is in exercising regularly. Not getting into a program and getting locked into it forever. You'll end up changing set/rep ranges and intensity over time, as you advance as a weight trainer. But you shouldn't worry about shocking the muscles or doing any dramatic changes until you start reaching a legitimate plateau.

Comment

Fourm is everything learn that and your strength and muscle mass will go up with time.
                  Obey.

Comment

Working...
                  X