Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Hi Everyone. Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

New diet???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New diet???

Alright Guys?
    New to the boards, this is my 1st post. I've just completed my 1st diet, it went OK but feel i came down too fast and lost too much mass, overall tho I'm pleased with what i've achieved seeing as i just wanted to lean up for summer. I've just come down from around 200 to 180lbs. I'm 18 and have been training in total for about 18mnths. Im eager to start growing again and although I'm willing to put on some body fat I want to stay a bit leaner. I previously consumed about 200-250grs Protein and 400 carbs a day. I was thinking of now consuming more protein, around 300grs and about 200grs of carbs to be had only pre and post workout. I know this may induce ketosis but with the extra protein would this matter? Would this diet allow me to grow whilst staying a little leaner for a little longer? Or should I just keep with the same diet and add a session or 2 of cardio a week?
    Thanks for the help!

You need to eat carbs to grow. PROTEIN should be LBM* 1.5 should work. Cant stay lean and grow. Like trying to cut and grow doesn't happen a whole lot. I am bulking to 10 to 12% then cutting back down to 9% untill I hit 200 @ 10%. I am about 180 now and about 10% once I get to 12 I am cutting back down. You have to realize that you have to pack on some pounds to grow and deal with it. It's part of the game if it was simple everyone would do it.

Comment

Originally posted by CINCYKID View Post
      You need to eat carbs to grow. PROTEIN should be LBM* 1.5 should work. Cant stay lean and grow. Like trying to cut and grow doesn't happen a whole lot. I am bulking to 10 to 12% then cutting back down to 9% untill I hit 200 @ 10%. I am about 180 now and about 10% once I get to 12 I am cutting back down. You have to realize that you have to pack on some pounds to grow and deal with it. It's part of the game if it was simple everyone would do it.
      Thanks mate, I thought I could afford lowing my carbs as they arent anabolic? How are you measuring your BF? Do you use calipers?

Comment

Where did you get the idea that carbs aren't anabolic? Carbs fill you body with muscle sparing glycogen. Eat plenty of carbs if you wanna be big young fella.

Comment

Originally posted by Shifty View Post
          Where did you get the idea that carbs aren't anabolic? Carbs fill you body with muscle sparing glycogen. Eat plenty of carbs if you wanna be big young fella.
          I remember reading an article somewhere indicating that carbs dont stimulate protein synthesis and that increases in protein synthesis results mainly from the protein content of the meal. However I do not remember the context of the study this was concluded from. Whether it was referring to the restoration of glycogen post workout or not i cannot remember. The importance of such post workout carbs im aware of and thats why i was planning the consumer most of my carbs during this period.

Is this an accurate statement? Or should i disregard such info concerning the anabolism of carbs?

Comment

hey man, i'm eighteen also, and at our age we can eat a lot and although we still have to worry about gaining body fat, it shouldn't be a main concern, i just try to eat clean, get a solid meal in every 2.5 hours, when bulking i stuck at about 40 grams protein per meal, 50-60 grams carbs., and 15-20 grams of fat, i usually cut the carbs to half in my second to last meal, and cut the carbs to zero in my last meal, about 7 to 8 meals a day(depending on when i wake up), i stayed pretty lean on this, give it a try, it sort of follows a palumbo type mass gain diet
            as far as cardio, i don't really do it, unless i feel like im looking smooth i'll add some cardio in, usually 30 mins. in the morning on empty belly, and 15 mins. post workout at low intensity
            your young, experiment with what works for you
            good luck

Comment

I really appreciate all the advise but i think i have been misunderstood. It is not that i am afraid of putting on body fat i am just curious as to whether this variation in my diet will allow me to slow down the speed in which i put on fat, especially as i have just dieted? Or whether the same effect could be achieved with the odd cardio session here and there?

Comment

Intoducce carbs little by little as its a ideal time to grow but get fat as well. Just have someone do a good bulk for you with food you will be happy eating and cheat when you want to. When you hit 10 to 12 percent cut back downt to nine etc.

Comment

I like the idea of having smaller phases of cutting and bulking. However i dont know how to measure body fat and thus would be unsure of when to cut, i could always use a mirror but im curious as to how i could measure bf, is the use of calipers a necessity? On average how long do each of your phases last and how long does it take you to get back down?
                  Cheers.

Comment

when i look in the mirror i just look for how cut my abs look, what my obliques look like, and what my quads look like, plus i feel it in my ass alot, i can just feel my ass jigglin if i get to fat

Comment

For the record, you can absolutely stay lean and grow (muscle).

NYC BIG MIKE
                      Looking for the "gang of 20".

Comment

Big Mike, this is exactly what i wanted to hear!
                        Tell me more...
                        IS that in terms of an individuals metabolism or a specific diet?

Comment

Originally posted by NYC BIG MIKE View Post
                          For the record, you can absolutely stay lean and grow (muscle).

NYC BIG MIKE
                          I was just thinking the same thing....you just have to learn your body and experiment with a few different diets for a while but it most certainly can be done. I would say start out with the diet you have planned and if you start adding to much body fat then start adding cardio but leave the diet how it is.

Comment

It's a matter of finding that delicate balance. Everyone is different. It's a matter of finding the macro balance that works in your favor.

NYC BIG MIKE
                            Looking for the "gang of 20".

Comment

Originally posted by NYC BIG MIKE View Post
                              It's a matter of finding that delicate balance. Everyone is different. It's a matter of finding the macro balance that works in your favor.

NYC BIG MIKE
                              agreed. and not going stupid with calories. 500 over maintenance is enough for most, especially natty. this can be reduced on off days aswell. some fat gain is inevitable in a calorific surplus, but you never have to get fat.

Comment

Working...
                              X