Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Hi Everyone. Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Nutritionists?? Thoughts/Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AmyLynn View Post
    Zm---Have you thought about posting a training log thread on here? It would certainly give you the feedback and support you need to reach your goals....plus some good advice, for free.
    Yes i had given it some thought, I was going to earlier today but I got caught up doing some stuff for work. I'll definitely post one this evening and update it all along. Thanks for you support and advice!!!
    Gettin by on gettin by

Comment

Originally posted by GirlyMuscle View Post
      To get a man's RMR you multiply your bodyweight by 10-17. It totally depends on your own metabolism. I'm gonna start with the middle and use 13.

272 x 13 = 3536 per day

But now we want to add in all the calories you will expend while exercising. Based on what you've put up I'm gonna say you spend about 150 min a week on cardio and about 180 min on resistance training. So that's 330 minutes total. Most men will burn 10 calories per minute during vigorous exercise. Vigorous meaning your heart rate is over 65% of your max which for you would be about 125.

330 x 10 =3300

Now...take your daily RMR and multiply it by 7 days in a week.

3536 x 7 =24752
      Add in exercise calories...

24752 + 3300= 28052

Divide by 7 (days in a week) and your daily calorie needs are 4007.

But that's just to maintain. For every pound you want to lose per week you have to subtract 500 calories. (1 pound equals 3500 divided y 7 days is 500 per day) So let's say you want to lose 1 pound per week that means you have to eat 3007 per day to do so.

Let's say you decide you want to do a 40/40/20 plan, meaning 40% protein, 40% carbs and 20% fat. You should ideally do 6 meals a day. More frequent smaller meals means the furnace is burning which means you are burning FAT.

3007/6 is roughly 500 calories per meal. Of that 500 calories it should be 50g protein, 50g carbs and 11g fat. If you find after three weeks that you are losing too slow or too fast then it's time to readjust. Keep in mind this is a starting point.

Keep in mind that all these numbers change as you lose weight. I'd recalculate every 10-15 pounds lost.

Soak that in and let me know if you need more help.
      Hi Girly, I was wondering what would a day would look like on the 40/40/20 plan?

Do you only count food calories or do you consider the bottles of Propel that a person consumes as well?
      WORK THE MUSCLES, NOT THE WEIGHT

-Jay Cutler

Comment

everythings right here look for it
        Live Healthy & Look Fit. Be happy

Comment

Originally posted by lymbo View Post
          everythings right here look for it
          Let me guess, your from Jersey right? JK
          WORK THE MUSCLES, NOT THE WEIGHT

-Jay Cutler

Comment

Originally posted by Amino_man View Post
            Hi Girly, I was wondering what would a day would look like on the 40/40/20 plan?

Do you only count food calories or do you consider the bottles of Propel that a person consumes as well?
            I know this question was meant for girly, however.....

Yes, you should count everything when contest dieting. If it's off-season you can afford to be a little less strict, but don't go over board! Websites such as calorieking.com can help you calculate out calories. As a general rule of thumb, it'd count anything with over 20 calories in the off-season...the little things can add up fast if you're trying to lean out or stay lean so just be sure to read labels carefully.

Here is a rough idea of what a single meal may look like:
            10 egg whites
            2 whole eggs
            1 c. dry oatmeal

This is ROUGHLY 50g pro, 50g carbs and 11g fat.
            OFF TOPIC: http://www.superhumanradio.com/media/ot/OT.xml

Comment

Yes. When you're counting calories that means everything. Even what's in vitamins, Propel, Superpump or anything else you're consuming. If it goes in your mouth and has calories it counts. Then just adjust your meals accordingly.

Comment

I recently hired an online nutritionist and it was the best decision I made in my short career. Last year I did a bulk and cut with my own plan or some half-assed help from trainers. Trainers really (in my findings) don't get the nutrition thing so well, or don't want to be bothered with it. While I did okay with the first attempt I knew I could optimize it with some help.

Today I am on my 2nd month in working with this online nutritionist. With one try, he was able to increase my calories by 300 a day and still keep my gain the same or less! (I'm bulking right now) Right now I am gaining strength at an alarming rate but yet not putting on weight. My body composition is changing before my eyes. I could never have bulked this cleanly on my own.

Best money I could possibly have spent. After much research on available trainers I chose to work with Alan Aragon because of his scientific approach. He doesn't do crazy shit like eliminate fats or carbs. Just good science-based menus for the bbing athlete. I eat steak and pizza almost every day and still get these results. Oh yeah.. And I do ZERO cardio. Either in the bulk or the cut. You can get the results you need for weight gain and loss with just diet and lifting.

Comment

Originally posted by kfisherx View Post
                  I recently hired an online nutritionist and it was the best decision I made in my short career. Last year I did a bulk and cut with my own plan or some half-assed help from trainers. Trainers really (in my findings) don't get the nutrition thing so well, or don't want to be bothered with it. While I did okay with the first attempt I knew I could optimize it with some help.

Today I am on my 2nd month in working with this online nutritionist. With one try, he was able to increase my calories by 300 a day and still keep my gain the same or less! (I'm bulking right now) Right now I am gaining strength at an alarming rate but yet not putting on weight. My body composition is changing before my eyes. I could never have bulked this cleanly on my own.

Best money I could possibly have spent. After much research on available trainers I chose to work with Alan Aragon because of his scientific approach. He doesn't do crazy shit like eliminate fats or carbs. Just good science-based menus for the bbing athlete. I eat steak and pizza almost every day and still get these results. Oh yeah.. And I do ZERO cardio. Either in the bulk or the cut. You can get the results you need for weight gain and loss with just diet and lifting.
                  Don't be misled, body type plays a role here. Not everyone can cut in a reasonable amount of time by diet alone....for some, they lose muscle this way. I am glad you have found what works for you. I'm a nutritionist also and what I recommend for people also depends on where they are starting out and how advanced they are. Extreme manipulation of carbs and fats is usually reserved for those in contest prep or who have already tried many other plans with great success, they just need something different.

Good luck bulking!!
                  OFF TOPIC: http://www.superhumanradio.com/media/ot/OT.xml

Comment

you can have access to one of the best nutritionist put there... contact Alex A. The guy is very knowledgable. He gives free advices on his thread in this section and you can also hire him al prepbyalex.com

Comment

Originally posted by kfisherx View Post

Everyone is different. I HAVE to do cardio just to maintain a decent off season weight. I could never eat pizza every day and lose weight which is what the OP is trying to do.

Comment

Thanks again everyone for their advice and comments!!! Hopefully this will be helpful to others also who might be trying to achieve the same things that I am.
                        Gettin by on gettin by

Comment

Originally posted by Zmcraney View Post
                          Thanks again everyone for their advice and comments!!! Hopefully this will be helpful to others also who might be trying to achieve the same things that I am.
                          Your log will be. Keep up with it. We're watching you.

Comment

Def eat a few more meals per day. Add some quality carbs into some of those meals (brown rice, sweet potato etc etc).
                            Speed Kills, Strength Punishes

Comment

Your log will be. Keep up with it. We're watching you.
                              Well if you think I'm slacking feel free to give me a swift kick in the @$$. My first workout on the new program will be this afternoon so I'll be posting my workout journal. Thanks again to everyone for their advice and comments!!!
                              Gettin by on gettin by

Comment

Everyone is different. I HAVE to do cardio just to maintain a decent off season weight. I could never eat pizza every day and lose weight which is what the OP is trying to do.
                                The fact that everyone is different is exactly THE reason it is good to hire a nurtitionist that can make a plan up just for you and your goals. All the advice we give on this board is based upon our own experiences and the nutritionist bases it upon case studies. The plan that I am doing now is made for me and fits me like a glove.

And it is not true that you have to do cardio. Let me give you an extreme example. If you were in prison and your day consisted of sitting in a 10x10 room (no cardio) and meals consisted of 800 cals a day of food do you think you would lose weight? Of course you would. At its very core weight loss is about cals in. People who claim they have to do cardio either want to be able to eat above their maintance cals, don't really track very accurately the food they are eating every day and don't want to be that anal or a combination of the two.

If you knew your maintanance calories per day and ate just to that level and no more (weighing and tracking everything you eat) then you could maintain or lose weight even with no cardio. That is how I do it. I put more work in the kitchen and less on the treadmill. I am not saying that your option is bad only that you have a choice. Doing cardio is a great option too of course and certainly it isn't bad for you especially if you are trying to lose weight. There are many benefits to cardio but the downside is (for me) that I cut into my LBM too much when I do it. So instead I get my heart-rate up in the lift workouts and don't do cardio as a rule.

So back to the real topic at hand here. If you believe what I am saying about really understanding your calories and how they affect your body, then it makes even more sense to have a nutritionist helping you to understand what are your optimal calories for your goals and how to hit those with the best results. Body recomp goals are really more about the nutrition than anything else.

Comment

Working...
                                X