Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Hi Everyone. Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Hitting a plateau

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hitting a plateau

I'm in the last 4 weeks of my weight gain cycle and have made some significant gains. I'm around 11% bf and up to 156 lbs from 132 after 24 weeks (about 1.6 lbs per week). I was averaging about 2 lbs per week the first 10 weeks but things slowed down and I've only gained 2 lbs the past 2 weeks.

I'm taking in about 250 grams of carbs, 156 g protein, and about 3500 calories per day, eating every 2-2.5 hours and 1 protein shake in the middle of the night. I'm hitting the gym with a trainer who's been great and is pretty knowledgable and competes.

Just wondering if there is something I can do to kickstart the growth again and get the gains back up for the remaining weeks. Trying to hit 165 before we start cutting down for a show.

You can only put so much mass on every year before your gains start to slow and eventually stop. Many beginners usually put on 15-30 lbs in their first year of training, but year after year, it is more difficult to make significant gains like that, with 5-15 lbs of lean mass being the norm.

You may be able to get to 165 if you up your calories, but alot of that may be fat. You can try to change up your workouts to shock your muscles too.

I have a friend that bulked too much and got to like 235 from 200 and it took him months to get rid of the fat. Just take it slow and steady.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDiesel14 View Post
      You can only put so much mass on every year before your gains start to slow and eventually stop. Many beginners usually put on 15-30 lbs in their first year of training, but year after year, it is more difficult to make significant gains like that, with 5-15 lbs of lean mass being the norm.

You may be able to get to 165 if you up your calories, but alot of that may be fat. You can try to change up your workouts to shock your muscles too.

I have a friend that bulked too much and got to like 235 from 200 and it took him months to get rid of the fat. Just take it slow and steady.
      very true, when u first start training hard the 1st 1-2 years u put on alot of mass then it gets slower as u go. thne u start to use supplements and when u cant grow anymore naturally, thats when u start messin with the big dogs, [AAS}. anybody correct me if im mistaken.

Comment

Thanks, guys. My trainer keeps my routine pretty well. He cycles through german volume training, DT7??, and a couple of other types of training routines every so often to keep the body guessing.

I'm not too worried about the fat burn. I started in May at 14% bf and got down to 7% with just cardio and diet. This time around we have 18 weeks leading up to a competition and I'm going to be hitting the diet harder and using supplements. Also planning to work with the traininer 4-5 x per week instead of the 3 that I was doing previously.

Any words of advice going into my first competition as a Bantumweight?

Comment

Don't worry about the other guys in the show! Its your first comp so just worry about being the best YOU can be. Too many times people who are just starting out pay too much attention on comparisons and forget about their goals and the physical accomplishments that they have made.
          Speed Kills, Strength Punishes

Comment

Depends on how long you have before you need to start your cut. I would think ~2lb/wk is pretty aggressive for a natty. Aggressive meaning, a higher % being fat. Once you push past 12-14%, it will only get worse. Not leaps and bounds worse, but not better, and thats the importance here.

If you are actually cutting for a show, I wouldnt try to go too much over 12% BF. I would drop to 2lbs/mo if you are natty and try to stay close to 12%.

It all depends on the time you have avail...

Comment

Eat more protein. If you are eating 250g of Carbs, and 150g of protein, then to reach 3500 calories you are eating about 220g of fat.

I'm not saying fat is bad, but the macros are off. Get your protein up over 250g, and readjust your macros for your body type (whatever that is).

Good progress so far, but IMHO, your diet is holding you back big time.

Comment

Sorry, I miss typed the diet. The 157 was grams of fat. My protien intake is around 300 grams.

Comment

I'll have about 17 weeks to prep for the show. I'm around 11% bf and have always had a good record of cutting pretty fast.

Comment

Working...
                  X