Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Advise me on my new routine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advise me on my new routine

Just saw this at another board.

Is it any good and what should I do for a set/rep scheme?

It's a three day a week workout that you alternate between workouts A and B.

Workout A
    Squat
    Bent Row
    Bench Press
    Stiff Leg Deadlift

Workout B
    Military Press
    Chin Ups
    Power Clean
    Dips

Ok, let me take a stab at this. The issue I have on the above workouts is that you are training the same muscles three times a week with heavy compound movements. Even if you are a natural with a perfect diet, you more than likely will not recuperate sufficiently and let your muscles grow stronger in between.

I would change the above to the following:

Workout A
    Bench Press
    Military Press
    NEW: Some variation of triceps extension
    NEW: Some variation of ab crunch

Workout B
    Squat
    Stiff Leg Deadlift
    NEW: Some variation of calf raise

Workout C
    Bent Row
    Chin Ups
    Power Clean
    NEW: Some variation of biceps curl
    NEW: Some variation of back extension

I am not completely sold on Power Clean, but it you want to do it, more power to you.

The above still favours heavy compund exercises, but I have included one exercise for direct triceps / biceps work, as well as for calves.

Still go to gym three (at most) times per week. For sets and reps, on the first exercise in each workout, I would build up to your heaviest set with a pyramid of about three sets with incrasing weights, with the sets not carried to failure. Then the heaviest set to failure. If you want to, another set following this heavy to failure with a much lighter weight, really concentrating extra hard on the feel and the squeeze in the muscle, as well as a slow negative portion of the movement.

For the follow-up exercises in the same workout, 1-3 pyramid sets (not to failure) before your heaviest set to failure both to get used to the new exercise and the movement, as well as to make sure everything is warmed up in preparation for it.

For reps, shoot between 6-12, emphasizing the top end of the range.

No sloppy form, occasional cheating is okay. Remember that if you break something, you may be out of the gym for months and when you get back, you will have to work around the injury for the rest of your life.

Comment

Working...
    X