Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Help on getting rid of skinny fat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help on getting rid of skinny fat

Hi I've been lurking on the board a lot trying to learn as much as I can but still cant seem to dial everything in. I'm a 5'5 manlet and I do mma a lot and would like to achieve the build of norifumi "kid" yamamoto's build. He weigh's 143 but I look nowhere like him. I was 155 but started looking a little chubby for my height. Then I decided to cut to 144 to see if I can shed that extra fat of me and now i'm skinny fat. I lost all upper body muscle but my belly got softer.

My training is
    M-chest and back
    T- cardio/mma
    W- Shoulders and arms
    T- cardio/mma
    F- legs and back
    s- chest/mma
    S- rest.

I eat about 2500 cals I think
    1st meal - 3 egg whites 1 whole, oatmeal
    2 - 25 g of whey protein and banana, 25 almonds
    3 - can of tuna, 1/2 cup of veggies and fist full of rice
    4 - same as #2
    5 - 8 oz of chicken, veggies and rice
    6 - 1% Milk (lactaid) with fruit.

At the moment I'm 145. I dont feel like cutting anymore cuz i'm afraid i'll be more skinny. But I dont want to bulk any higher than 155 cuz i'll look fat. I want abs damn it lol.
    Should I eat more or less, train more or less? Any advice will do thanks.

I'd suggest starting by using a food counts program like www.fitday.com so you know exactly what you are eating (total cals & macronutrient ration - %protein / %fat / %carb) instead of eyeballing it. It seems like a good diet, but that said, not putting it into a food counts program. I'd probably toss that last meal & replace it w/ something like a casein protein w/ 2 tbls of natural peanut butter. Fats are better at night than carbs because they metabolize slower - makes for shorter period of time where you are going w/o food before the next day's Meal 1. Also carbs, esp simple carbs like fructose metabolize very quickly and give you a little kick when you are actually looking to fall asleep.

If you are doing very active MMA workouts you might want to up you carbs another 50g or more when you are doing this.

The trick is going to be finding a balance of cal & nutrient intake that will allow you to grow some muscle while burning some fat / not gaining too much while you are building. You might need to play w/that some more to find the sweet spot.

Comment

man you should be shredded with all the cardio you do.I'd eat more and train simple with free weights.It will probaly be hard to gain alot of weight with all your activity.Give us an outline of what exercises and rep ranges you do

Comment

Thanks for the link sass69. I just calculated my meals on fit day.com + added meal 7 with 1 protein shake 3 tbsp of pb and got 2230 cals.
        235.6 grams in carbs, 194.4 g of protein and 60.9 of fat. That is a 42% carb,35%protein, 24%fat split. Is that about right? Can someone please look at my diet and alter it for me thank you

Skinny I wish I was ripped but I'm not. I think I carry all my fat on my belly. I'll put a pic up tomorrow. How do you post pics anyhow?

I wanna look like this dude http://www.bebo.com/PhotoAlbumBig.js...oId=4985333324
        http://www.kfight.net/Boxing-Kickbox...Max-2005-Video

Comment

For chest, back, shoulders and legs I do 8-12 reps with 16-20 sets

Comment

I was doing something similar to what you were doing and I was able to go from 155-165 and then cut back to 160 much more ripped for a submission wrestling tourney. It took about 4 months to gain and then about a month to drop 5 pounds or so of fat.

I think you are doing 2 things wrong. 1st you need to eat more I was eating 3500+cal to gain and 3000 cal to cut and I am not much bigger than you. I think your body is in starvation mode and your metabolism has slowed. When you are undernourished your body produces less anabolic hormones like testosterone. You need to eat more that is a ton of exercise.

2nd I think you are over trained. You can't train with weights like a body builder and do all that MMA and recover properly. Overtraining reduces testosterone as well and catabolic hormones like cortisol are increased. Cortisol tends to waste muscle and encourage fat gain. Only weight train for 20-30min. 3 times per week max. Only do exercises that will build real functional strength. Snatches, power cleans, deadlifts, bent rows, chins, lunges, squats etc. Don't waste your time doing isolation exercises or trying to build up beach muscles like chest and bi's they will get some work and grow along with the rest of your body.

I had my full workout routine all written out along with suggestions and somehow erased the whole fvckin thing. I will try to post some more details when I have more time.

Comment

Originally posted by denisk View Post
              Don't do that many sets per body part if you do MMA.

Comment

Thanks thorgrim. Much appreciated. I did realize that my body has become softer since eating less. I was eating at least 3500 cals when I was at 155. So that drop probably took away most of the muscle I gained. Can you please give me your diet and routine when you gained 10 pounds and also when you cut. How tall are you by the way.

Comment

That is a high number of sets to do for anybody. Thorgrim is definitely right.
                  Last edited by Geflatin; January 3, 2009, 06:15 AM.

Comment

Do a third of that many sets with heavier weight. MMA is serious cardio man, eat eat eat. You are over training, thus you are having trouble putting on new muscle, hence skinny fat.

Comment

OK this is what I did.

Every workout I warmed up with 20-50 body weight squats, 20-30 pushups, 20-30 crunches to get the blood flowing.

Mon - Snatches 1set warmup, 3sets x 10reps, 1set x 5reps, Bent rows or chins 3 sets - optional depending on how I felt

Tues - MMA 2 hours

Wends - Chest 3 sets (usually dips or incline dumbbell press), Biceps 2 sets, Triceps 2 sets. This workout was optional depending on how I felt as well.

Thurs - MMA 2 to 2.5 hours

Fri - Deadlifts or Squats 5 sets pyramid from 12-15 to 4-6 reps, 2 sets dumbbell lunges, 3 sets chins superset with 3 sets dips

Sat - Rest

Sun - Rest or (MMA 1 hour + cardio only the last month when I was cutting)

As you can see I didn't do much volume of weights. I don't think I could have properly recovered from much more. The muscles are still getting some stimulation from the MMA training so much more would have been overkill. Same with the cardio I was already getting plenty from the MMA. The snatches, deadlift, squats, and lunges will also work your endurance in more of an anaerobic way if you keep the rest periods short enough. Sometimes I might do a few more exercises if I felt good but all of my weight workouts were 45min or less. Learn to listen to your body if you are really tired working out more is counter productive. That is why there was optional stuff in there.

The snatches are the most important exercise in this routine. Learn how to do them well. They build pretty much every muscle in the body and really add to your explosive power.

As for diet it wasn't really an exact science when I was bulking. I have been involved in all sorts of sports since I was in Junior high and have always known the importance of diet. I made sure I was eating pretty clean but I would still eat out 2-3 times a week and I just kind of eye balled it and ate what I felt. I made sure to eat about 30 grams of protein 6-7 times a day though.

When I was cutting it was actually pretty close to what you were eating but more calories and the ratio was more like 50%carbs and 25% protein and fat. I ate more slow carbs like oatmeal and yams and made sure to get in some healthy fats like fish oil and coconut oil. I would only have one cheat meal a week and I didn't go crazy.

You are going to have to figure out how many calories you need to maintain and go from there. I knew that I needed about 2800 (from prior experience) even without all the workouts so 3500+ was about where I needed to be to gain and 3000 put me at a slight calorie deficit.

One other thing you might want to consider is a carbo/amino drink during your MMA/cardio workouts to help and preserve muscle. Remember that the cardio you do is for conditioning, the fat loss is a bonus.

Here are the results. I am 5'9 and weighed 160 in the pic which was taken outside of the hanger which the tourney was in. Competed in the 155 class though. Cut 5 pounds water for the weigh in the day before.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Good job man!

What Thor said is totally right man. Your metabolism is shot.

I wrestled 135 all through high school and had to eat like a horse to keep my weight(5 to 6 times a day, etc). With all the conditioning you are doing you need the fuel.

If you are feeding your body right it should help naturally dump the fat. I know this seemed to work for me every year(at the beginning of the season i was 140 7% bf. And at the end i was 137 at 5%). They used to call me Bruce Lee. LOL.

Also drink tons of water! Every class period i remember making it a goal to down a liter of water. Yeah, i had to piss every 30 minutes but i noticed a HUGE difference on the mat.

Comment

Damn thorgrim good job man. Thats exactly want i want to look like (no homo). How did you do in the tournament? Do you do cardio a lot for jui jitsu? I found that I gass fast when I'm going up against bigger guys than me which is often. I'm the smallest guy in my class which is frustrating. What do you do to increase stamina?

I've been taking everyone's advice and increased my carbs and decreased my workload. I'm starting to see my upper muscle come up again and fat belly somewhat decreasing. I'm eating about 2300-2400 cals which is up from my 1900 cals and have increased my weight to 148 pds from 144. Thanks everyone

Comment

Damn thorgrim good job man. Thats exactly want i want to look like (no homo). How did you do in the tournament? Do you do cardio a lot for jui jitsu? I found that I gass fast when I'm going up against bigger guys than me which is often. I'm the smallest guy in my class which is frustrating. What do you do to increase stamina?

I've been taking everyone's advice and increased my carbs and decreased my workload. I'm starting to see my upper muscle come up again and fat belly somewhat decreasing. I'm eating about 2300-2400 cals which is up from my 1900 cals and have increased my weight to 148 pds from 144. Thanks everyone
                            Thanks. I did ok in the tournament but was a little frustrated at the tourney rules and judging. I don't want to get into it too much but I will say that some of the rules as to how the matches were scored were changed the day of the tourney.

Cardio for me usually isn't a big problem. I had to learn to relax when rolling so that you keep taking in lots of oxygen. If you are too tense you burn more energy and don't breath as well. Our gym is pretty intense as far as training so I had a pretty good base from that. For the tourney I did a bit of extra cardio in the form of interval training and sprint repeats.

Comment

Working...
                            X