Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

If muscle grows at rest...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If muscle grows at rest...

Then why are full body routines or upper/lower recommended for beginners?

Those splits have you training your muscles multiple times a week.

Wouldn't a split of say the following be better for a beginner? If not why?

Monday
    Bench Press
    Military Press
    Close Grip Bench

Wednesday
    Squat
    Stiff Leg Deadlift
    Standing Calf Raise

Friday
    Bent Row
    Pull Ups
    Straight Bar Curl

Then as time went on adding more exercises and going to a four or five day split.

I'm just trying to understand why beginners get recommended something that goes against things you hear (muscles grow at rest) and also if beginners do good on any program why it should matter what that program is.

I'm here to learn bro's.

BUMP i would love to know the answer to this

Comment

Part of it is just getting use to training. Part is adaptation. Part of it is progression. You might be able to train more EXCEPT your diet isnt on par. And part of it is that less is better than overloading you from the start and frying you out of the proverbial blocks.

Comment

first 3 - 6 months is just neural and vascular adaptations , very little hypertropy , and learning how to lift etc ...

Comment

Originally posted by FUTURE View Post
          Part of it is just getting use to training. Part is adaptation. Part of it is progression. You might be able to train more EXCEPT your diet isnt on par. And part of it is that less is better than overloading you from the start and frying you out of the proverbial blocks.
          Well I am not saying "Hey start with a split where you are doing 16 sets for chest, Legs, and Back and 12 for Bi's, tri's, and shoulders" I agree that would be too much.

But if it's about getting use to training and less is more than why is what that routine I posted before for instance not optimal over a full body routine in which you are working the muscles more?

Maybe people have to dumb it down for me but I am here to learn. I've just always thought it never made sense when people said "the muscle grows at rest" but the beginner must start with something that has them training there muscles more often.

Comment

because full body programs keep you focused on getting the proper form down and it takes some time for your body to learn how to do the exercises. During this time you can increase poundage without increasing muscle mass(as stated above in scientific terms). So a full body program will get you out of this 'beginner phase' as soon as possible so the real muscle gain can begin. You've got the right idea with the exercises you've chosen but i personally would put those in a two day split. It just comes down to a matter of preference.
            "Truth is truth, no matter who speaks it."
            Siddhattha Gotama

Comment

For me less has never been more. I started at 14 on one of arnold's old routines that was high volume for every body part. 12-15 sets per body part (which is now mid volume for me, or the very least of what I do). Even back then, I would be in the gym most of the day and went well beyond this. I adapted to the volume and intensity over the years and it needed to be increased. Since all sets were to failure, I needed more volume to increase the abuse. The body adapts. I find rest to be extremely valuable however, but only outside the gym.

Less is more might be a popular theory but its not the only one. If I followed that advice Id be half the size. Ultimately youve got to find what works for you. Starting at a high volume gives you alot of area to tweak things though. I believe in covering all angles, leaving nothing unturned and KILLING THAT SHIT. Never being satisfied. Thats how shit gets done. Embrace the brutality, the work and dont look for shortcuts.
              Journal: http://forums.musculardevelopment.co...ad.php?t=50558
              Videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4A4lWT65ng

Comment

Working...
              X