Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

TOTAL n00b with a few questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TOTAL n00b with a few questions...

Woot, my first post on here!

Since the end of April, I've been going to the gym with a few friends of mine to get into better shape. What my goal is, is to get bigger then cut. Right now I'm still in the getting bigger phase.

My routine is Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday I do chest and back, then on Mon, Wed, and Fri I do arms and legs. I've talked to some of the other guys who go and I've noticed that they dedicate one day a week to a certain muscle. Some of them say this is ideal for getting bigger, so I've been wanting to try this. How should I break up my week? Should it be a 5 day or a 7 day week? Can I do biceps one day and triceps the next, or bundle them together?

Also, when discussing benching, one of them said they do a system they called "10-5-1," where they do 10 reps their first set, 5 the next, and 1-3 reps the last set. Can this be applied to each muscle group or just pecs?

Any help and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

If you can do legs 3 times a week you aren't training hard enough. can you give us more details so we can help? what lifts do you do? hows your diet? why dont you train shoulders? etc.
    straps are for kinky sex, or animal abuse.

Comment

Ah, sorry, didn't realized I left out so much information. I'll do my best to explain what I do because I don't really know what some of the exercises are called, I just know what muscles they work out.

For each muscle group, I do 3 exercises. Sun, Tues, and Thurs for chest I do flat bench, inclined bench, and declined bench. For back I do lat pull downs, some row boat thing where you sit on a bench and use your lats to pull the weight, and kick backs (I think that's what they're called).

For biceps I do bar curls, preacher curls, and curls on the cables. Triceps I do skull crushers, tricep pull downs(?), and dips. Shoulders I do military presses, front military presses, and Arnold presses. Legs, I do calf raises, leg presses, and some hamstring curl thing.

As for diet, I try to stick to sandwiches, chicken, and vegetables.

Sorry if it seems a little rushed, I'm late for work.

Comment

Ah, sorry, didn't realized I left out so much information. I'll do my best to explain what I do because I don't really know what some of the exercises are called, I just know what muscles they work out.

For each muscle group, I do 3 exercises. Sun, Tues, and Thurs for chest I do flat bench, inclined bench, and declined bench. For back I do lat pull downs, some row boat thing where you sit on a bench and use your lats to pull the weight, and kick backs (I think that's what they're called).

For biceps I do bar curls, preacher curls, and curls on the cables. Triceps I do skull crushers, tricep pull downs(?), and dips. Shoulders I do military presses, front military presses, and Arnold presses. Legs, I do calf raises, leg presses, and some hamstring curl thing.

As for diet, I try to stick to sandwiches, chicken, and vegetables.

Sorry if it seems a little rushed, I'm late for work.

Comment

I'm on break from work right now, so I'll do my best to post any more info.

For breakfast I grab a bowl of cereal, usually Cheerios, a banana, and take a multivitamin. For lunch I usually grab a roast beef sandwich on wheat bread with no mayo. For dinner I usually have either fish or meat. With each meal I have a glass of water.

So my long term goal for muscle building is to get to 170-180 lbs. Right now I'm 5'11 and 153 lbs. Once I'm at the target weight, that's when I'll start cutting.

Also, for lower abs (sorry about the randomness of each post btw), should I be feeling a burn in my pelvis? Because when I try to train lower abs, I feel it around the same area as when I was training upper abs.

Oh, and one more question, how long should my work out week be? How many exercises do you guys recommend me to do for each muscle group?

Comment

personally, i like to keep my workouts 40-60 minutes long, remember: get in get out and grow!!!!
            I liqour so GOOD she don't go around beer

Comment

Your diet needs work.

Visit "The Kitchen" and read up about diets.

Diet is probably the single most important aspect in BBing.

Also you may want to change your workout structure.

Most people tell beginners to work:

Chest and Triceps
              Back and Biceps + Forearms
              Shoulders
              Legs
              and Mix stomach in 2x a week.

Of course pick what days and how often feel good to you, however those are the muscle groups that are best worked together. If you are doing 3x per muscle group, then 3 sets each should be sufficient. I spend 90min in the gym each day, however that is with 30min stretching and cardio then 60min lifting.

-Sayajin
              Currently: 6'2 215lbs 10% BF ; Goal: 6'2 250lbs 8% BF.

Comment

You should be going 5 days a week with 2 days off of your choice.

I would do

Bis + tris
                Chest
                Back
                Legs
                Shoulders

and abs when they are not sore. Mix those up whatever is the least sore, and don't train shoulders after chest.

But what Sayajin said, is about what I was doing when I first started, so you can try either workout.

I spend 50 - 90 minutes at the gym, and do 4 sets of 8 reps for everything.

Once you get the hang of it, you can try 3 sets of 4-6 reps with heavier weight then you normally would.

Good luck man.
                Those who can't, say YOU can't

Comment

Working...
                X