Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Newbie to MD seeks advice......please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie to MD seeks advice......please help

So here's the deal, I have a couple of questions and after reading the Mag (MD) and searching through posts I would like you guys to see if I am on the right track including my diet and workout schedule......any help would be greatly appreciated.

About myself:

25 Yo Male, 195lbs.
    6'3''
    Kinda stalky
    been working out religiously since January 07' and now i'm addicted.

I have a workout partner who has been a personal trainer and he has schooled me on form and routine. I have read much of what he tells me about on-line in all of your posts and in the Mag. So he's credible.

So far I have been shedding weight like crazy, I was almost completely lazy before December last year. I have lost 27 lbs and seem to have tapered off. My body is changing so much and I feel like I am putting on some serious muscle mass.

So about my diet:

0630: 6 egg whites, 2 pieces of toast (wheat bread), protein shake w/Fat free milk and about a cup of cottage cheese (low fat) (20 ounces of water and 3 hydroxycut hardcores on the drive to work) Liquid vitamins from Vitamin Store also taken post meal

0900: About a fist sized portion of either lean steak or chicken. ( I alternate the two based on what's on sale), a cup of small peeled carrots and a cup of raw brocolli

(in between) 20 ounces of water

1230: Same Meal as the 0900 one

1315: 20 ounces of water with Hyper Shock (kinda like NO-Explode)

1400-1600: Train (about 1.5 hours in the weight room and .5 on the eliptical) (I drink about 35 ounces of water during training)

1600: (post workout) Protein Shake (True Mass) and 3 more Hydroxycut Hardcores.

1730-1800 (I screw this meal up the most for timing) and this meal vary's the most out of the rest. Usually I eat a light salad with either chicken or recently I have been using a can of tuna on top.

2030-2100: One scoop of protein and off to bed.

My friends at work who have been fit for a while can't believe that I stick to this workout routine and mosly the diet. But I have seen so much improvement in my body and confidence that I am not even thinking of slowing down.

My workout schedule is Moday through Friday (it kinda rotates through,every other day is either legs or chest)

Monday- Legs
    Tuesday-Back and Bicepts
    Wednesday-Chest and Tricepts
    Thursday-Shoulders
    Friday-Legs

It keeps it changing and most of the muscles get plenty of rest to grow and keep getting bigger.

For Chest we do a 5 sets of 5 with heavy weight stripping down weight and fatiging out the last set. For four lifts, Incline, Decline, Straight and flys (laying on the bench)

Legs we do 4 sets of 10, leg presses, calf raises, lunges with weights, one where you lay down on your stomach and pull the weight up to your butt and another one that your seated and you make your legs go out in front of you straight and the weight is lifted. ( I will find out the name later)

For tricepts we do 4 sets of 10, standing tricept extensions, Skull crushers, dips and a tricept machine.

For shoudlers we do 4 sets of 10, upright rows with the EZ bar, seated putting the weights above your head, straight out in front of you with a dumbell and a machine that you push up and out with your elbows.

For Back we do 4 sets of 10, straight rows pulling it to my chest, wide grip pulldown, close grip pulldown and an isolating machine that you sit in and pull down and back on separate handles to life the weights.

All of these lifts that we do I am progressing rapidly to higher weights with each lift, I am pushing myself to the point between completing the rep and keeping good form. We always fatigue out the last rep.

I would like to hear any feedback you guys have in regards to my schedule, or my diet. Please don't be too harsh seeing how this is my first post.

Thanks ahead of time and I look forward to posting more and hopefully soon being about to contribute some knowledge to someone else.

Patrick

Originally posted by pcblakeley View Post

25 Yo Male, 195lbs.
    6'3''
    Kinda stalky
    been working out religiously since January 07' and now i'm addicted.

I have a workout partner who has been a personal trainer and he has schooled me on form and routine. I have read much of what he tells me about on-line in all of your posts and in the Mag. So he's credible.

So far I have been shedding weight like crazy, I was almost completely lazy before December last year. I have lost 27 lbs and seem to have tapered off. My body is changing so much and I feel like I am putting on some serious muscle mass.

Monday- Legs
    Tuesday-Back and Bicepts
    Wednesday-Chest and Tricepts
    Thursday-Shoulders...do with chest
    Friday-Legs

It keeps it changing and most of the muscles get plenty of rest to grow and keep getting bigger.

For Chest we do a 5 sets of 5 with heavy weight stripping down weight and fatiging out the last set. For four lifts, Incline, Decline, Straight and flys (laying on the bench)

Legs we do 4 sets of 10, leg presses, calf raises, lunges with weights, one where you lay down on your stomach and pull the weight up to your butt and another one that your seated and you make your legs go out in front of you straight and the weight is lifted. ( I will find out the name later)

For tricepts we do 4 sets of 10, standing tricept extensions, Skull crushers, dips and a tricept machine.

For shoudlers we do 4 sets of 10, upright rows with the EZ bar, seated putting the weights above your head, straight out in front of you with a dumbell and a machine that you push up and out with your elbows.

For Back we do 4 sets of 10, straight rows pulling it to my chest, wide grip pulldown, close grip pulldown and an isolating machine that you sit in and pull down and back on separate handles to life the weights.

Patrick
    All you need is basics right now....no low reps and mostlty compound movements....No training to failure yet!!!!

something like this

Push/legs/pull

Legs:
    Sqats 4x10
    Lunges or leg press 4x12
    SLDL 4x10
    Standing calfs 4x12

Off

Push:
    BB Bench 4x10
    DB incline 4x10
    Military Press DB or BB 4x10
    CGBP 4x10 or Skull crushers

OFF

Pull:

Dead lifts 4x10
    Rows DB or BB 4x10
    Lat pulls 4x10
    DB curls 4x10

Off

Off

Comment

live and die , in the sqaut rack, deads, bench, will thicken u up like gravox

Comment

Right on Guys, sounds awesome I will be on my own in about 4 weeks and I want to be prepared, my workout partner is transferring to Seattle and I will have to go at it alone.

Thanks

Comment

So when should I be doing Abs? and how hard? weighted or not?

Comment

Originally posted by pcblakeley View Post
            So when should I be doing Abs? and how hard? weighted or not?
            Some may disagree, but I say don't bother. Squat heavy and deadlift heavier. When you acquire enough size and then diet down... you'll see the abs just fine.

Comment

I on the other hand am a fan of weighted ab training, as I think it helps strengthen other lifts, makes them pop more and just looks better. I'll vary how much ab work I do, sometimes I'll hit them once a week just like any other bodypart , sometimes I'll do giant sets at the end of some or all workouts, whatever gets a good burn and pump going.
              I min/max my physique

Comment

Nice, I think I might do a every other day approach to abs and until I get them built up I will do them without weights.

Thanks for the help.

You guys see anything wrong with my diet?

Comment

be carefull not to overdo abs,twice a week is plenty... too much direct work will stunt overall growth.. CNS.

Comment

Originally posted by El_Spiko View Post
                    I on the other hand am a fan of weighted ab training, as I think it helps strengthen other lifts, makes them pop more and just looks better. I'll vary how much ab work I do, sometimes I'll hit them once a week just like any other bodypart , sometimes I'll do giant sets at the end of some or all workouts, whatever gets a good burn and pump going.
                    Yep. After all it is a muscle. Just no weighted oblique movements. No one is trying to make their waist look bigger.
                    Assistant to the regional manager.
                    Iron8 approved

Comment

Right on, I will do the abs twice a week on the shorter workout days.

I am guessing that I am doing to right thing with the diet since no one is saying anything.

thanks!

Comment

Dude
                        I believe Hydroxycut says to be taken on an empty stomach... I know that 'cuz I've taken a heavy deal of at burners and in the label says (Take with and empty stomach)

I mean... it's kinda an expensive fat burner

Comment

Good call, I stopped taking the Hydroxycuts because i kinda want to keep some of my fat, I felt like I was leaning out too quick and I want to stay kinda thick until i get lots more bulk on my muscles.

but good call on the empty stomach, Thanks!

Comment

definitely do not train to failure often....many pros only do that once every other month if that....
                            -TNT

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick_Bateman View Post
                              All you need is basics right now....no low reps and mostlty compound movements....No training to failure yet!!!!

something like this

Push/legs/pull

Legs:
                              Sqats 4x10
                              Lunges or leg press 4x12
                              SLDL 4x10
                              Standing calfs 4x12

Off

Push:
                              BB Bench 4x10
                              DB incline 4x10
                              Military Press DB or BB 4x10
                              CGBP 4x10 or Skull crushers

OFF

Pull:

Dead lifts 4x10
                              Rows DB or BB 4x10
                              Lat pulls 4x10
                              DB curls 4x10

Off

Off
                              excellent program patrick
                              im only laughing on the outside my smile is only skin deep...

Comment

Working...
                              X