Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Do I really need a slow-digesting protein before bed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I really need a slow-digesting protein before bed?

Is it really all that necessary to take a casein or sustained release protein before bed? I am trying to keep my supplement budget at a minimum and I just want to know how crucial is the catabolic effect of a good 8-10 hours of sleep. Should I be setting an alarm for like 2 AM to take a shake? Thoughts?

Consider this: your GH peaks 2 times: while working out and in your sleep. Also consider this: you should be eating every 2-3 hours but you sleep for 8 hours without food. This seems kind of contradictory, you should try and eat slow digesting protein before bed but it does not have to be casein. Some nights I go with a handful of walnuts (fats slow digestion) and some other protein source (chicken or turkey perhaps). It doesn't stay in you as long as casein but its certainly much better than nothing. Fiber is also good at slowing digestion.

If you don't want to do casein shakes, cottage cheese is almost entirely casein protein. It tastes pretty good and can be bought in bulk for pretty cheap.

Most importantly, try to stay away from carbs late at night. Your body has very little use for them (you aren't expending energy so you don't need them) and the insulin resulting from carb consumption blunts GH.

The goal of bodybuilding, quite obviously, is to remain anabolic as long as possible, using food/supps to achieve this. Look at it this way: being anabolic for the first 6 hours of sleep is much better than not being anabolic during sleep.

Comment

casein & casein products (cottage cheese) is optimal for its super slow digestion. otherwise, pretty much what ^^^ he said. if you have the power to wake at 2AM to have a shake, do it
      I'm bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There's nobody I'd rather be, than me.

Comment

OK, makes sense...the cottage cheese is a great suggestion, thank you.

Comment

Eating some meat or cottage cheese would be better than a shake. Tossing in some fibrous veggies could also slow down the digestion and give you some wicked gas to attack your wife/gf with.

Comment

im not tryin to argue but think about it. the average person on a bb diet, has meat w/slow carbs & fibrous veggies a few times a day...and you still get hungry and eat in another 2.5-3 hrs! so if mr whatsup has a good metabolism, his body will be done processing that meal in 3-4 hrs tops. whereas, casein can provide a time release of aminos for up to 7 hours! so mr whatsup, i say try both options and see what you like better. if you're actually hungry at nite, then eat the food meal. if not so hungry, take the casein
            I'm bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There's nobody I'd rather be, than me.

Comment

no, food is food so dont over think it

Comment

Originally posted by maxamill29 View Post
                im not tryin to argue but think about it. the average person on a bb diet, has meat w/slow carbs & fibrous veggies a few times a day...and you still get hungry and eat in another 2.5-3 hrs! so if mr whatsup has a good metabolism, his body will be done processing that meal in 3-4 hrs tops. whereas, casein can provide a time release of aminos for up to 7 hours! so mr whatsup, i say try both options and see what you like better. if you're actually hungry at nite, then eat the food meal. if not so hungry, take the casein
                There are actually benefits to periods of fasting overnight that I believe I read in some of Layne Norton's thread.

Comment

i say try both options and see what you like better. if you're actually hungry at nite, then eat the food meal. if not so hungry, take the casein
                  Solid guidance! Listen to your body and figure out what works for you. I use a slow protein before bed and I eat a little as well or I am freegin starving in the a.m. different strokes for different folks...
                  Riff

Doing it one pound at a time!!!!

Comment

Here is another option. Since you are already asking about casein and mention being budget conscious I would say itís a safe bet that you buy your whey in 10lb bags like I do. Also if you are anything like me and drink 1.5 to 2 gallons of water a day you are already getting up at least 3 times a night to take a piss. If my above ASSumptions are correct you could easily pre-stage a shake and take a drink throughout the night as you take a trip to the toilet.

Comment

Working...
                    X