Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

More newbie questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More newbie questions

Hi, all -- just have some questions concerning general work-outs. Yes, they're newbie questions... because I am a newbie.

1) How many exercises per muscle group? Is there a minimum?
    2) When should I max out on a body part? 1 exercise? 2 exercises? Go hard or Go home?
    3) Should I use machines to warm up, then save all the effort on free-weights?
    4) Is there a suppliment that I can take in the morning to get me frickin' wired throughout the day? Please bear in mind I used to drink 2 liters of diet Pepsi a day to wake up, and I've had some bad experiences with ephedra and No-Doze ("They're crawling... under... my... skin....").

Any other advise that any esteemed member here can give will always be appreciated.

"And my heaven will be a Big Heaven... and I will walk through the front door."
    Peter Gabriel / "Big Time"

PS -- how do I get a signature turned on for me?
    Either Up Or Down, That Rock Doesn't Stop Moving.

Bodybuilding for Beginners

By Tim Wescott: Part 1

If you are thinking about embarking on a fitness or bodybuilding program, here are a few pointers you should know before you begin.

1.Consult your physician, especially if you are really out of shape or extremely overweight.)
    2.Set realistic fitness goals and record them in a notebook.
    3.Start off slowly.
    4.Stick to the basics.
    5.Commit to your program.
    6.Weigh yourself and take measurements
    7. Build a foundation (don't be tempted to follow an advanced routine, you will eventually get there if you are patient.)

Following this advice will be very helpful in the long run. Lets begin with a program for the extremely underweight person. These are the people who can eat just about anything without gaining a pound.

If you fall into this category you know how frustrating it can be to put on a single pound of muscle. Don't be fooled into believing some ad in a muscle book telling how you can get huge muscles almost
    overnight with very little effort.

You must work hard, stick to the basics, and eat more quality muscle building foods. There are 3 basic different body types and some people have certain characteristics of all 3.

Let's review them and then design a program for all 3 types.

1. Ectomorph-Extremely thin with a very fast metabolism.
    2. Mesomorph-Athletically built and usually classified as an easy gainer.
    3. Endomorph- Usually overweight ,with a very slow metabolism.

We'll start with the Ectomorph.

Day #1
    Upper body:
    Here are the exercises we'll be using, DON'T DEVIATE FROM THIS:

Bench Press-3sets of 8 reps,
    Barbell Row-3 sets of 8 reps
    Barbell Press - 3 sets of 8reps
    Barbell Curls-3 sets of 8 reps
    Triceps Pressdowns 3 sets of 8 reps

Lowerbody:
    Squats-3 sets of 8,10,12, reps.
    Leg Extensions-3 sets of 10 reps
    Calf Raises-5 sets of 10-25 reps
    Crunches- 4 sets of 20 reps

and that's it.

The reason I stress not adding any other exercises to this routine is because, being extremely under weight you do not want to overwork, and you must conserve energy to re-build the torn down muscle tissue.

Now the matter of what to eat to feed those injured muscles. I would recommend eating every 3 hours or so. I know from personal experience this might not seem possible, but you must try to eat at least a little more until your body becomes acclimated to the new food intake.

We no longer label our 3 meals as breakfast , lunch, and dinner, because we will be eating at least 5 but preferably 6 meals a day., and they are now known as meals 1-6.Ready?

Here goes :
    Meal # 1: 3 whole eggs
    2 slices wholegrain toast
    1 banana
    8oz. fat free milk

Meal # 2:1 can tuna on wholegrain bread with low fat mayo
    1 orange
    8 oz. fat free milk

Meal # 3:Protein shake 2 scoops of your favorite protein powder
    2 whole eggs
    1 scoop of ice cream
    1 tbsp. peanut butter

Meal# 4:Steak, chicken, or fish
    1 baked potato
    1 cup of vegetables
    8 oz. fat free milk

Meal # 5:Another protein shake.

That should be enough for starters as you will probably have a hard time eating this amount. After you get used to this regimen I suggest eating one more meal preferably before bedtime.

Your workouts will be as follows :
    Upperbody on Mon.& Thurs.-
    Lowerbody on Tues. and Fri.
    Rest on the other three days

Keep outside activities to a minimum so as not to burn excess calories needed to build muscle.

If you find this diet too much to consume slowly make an effort to eat just a little more all the time.
    ALSO GET AS MUCH GOOD SOUND SLEEP AS YOU CAN.

Now on to the Endomorph:

I would offer the same advice to them also except do 3 days of low intensity cardio just for your endurance and to keep fat gain to minimum. Mind you this is only a temporary routine. I'll update it as you progress.

Onward to our Mesomorphic friends:

Same routine ,different diet, and 4 to 5 days of cardio of your choice.

I recommend walking on the treadmill. As you get in better shape increase duration, but start off at 20 minutes slowly building up to 30-45 minutes.

If this seems like a lot of work, it is, but as I tell my clients if you can't stay motivated ,stand naked in front of a full length mirror, if you don't like what you see this should be motivation enough. I will go a lot deeper into fat loss but here we are just beginning.

The diet:
    Meal #1.
    7 egg whites cooked in Pam cooking spray
    1/2 cup oatmeal with sugar substitute (no milk).

Meal # 2.
    Protein shake in water - 2 scoops

Meal # 3.
    1 can of tuna
    1 small salad with lemon juice or vinegar.

Meal # 4.:
    chicken breast (no skin)
    1/2 cup brown rice (I recommend SUCCESS BOIL IN BAG)
    1/2 cup steamed broccoli.

Meal # 5.:
    1 can tuna
    water

Meal #6.:
    Protein shake in water.

That's it.

Now here are some helpful tips to avoid hunger pangs and binging.

#1-Eat your food slowly,
    #2-Always drink at least a gallon of water a day. There are a lot of good reasons for doing this but for you it will create a sensation of fullness.
    #3-If you must eat something ,pick a healthy low calorie snack, such as raw veggie cakes, fat free yogurt, salad, etc.

Now for some does and don'ts for all 3 body types:
    Let's get to the Don'ts first:
    Don't eat junk
    Don't forget water
    Don't miss workouts
    Don't deviate from this routine
    Don't slack off.

Now for the Do's:
    Do train hard
    Do be consistent
    Do adhere to your diet
    Do add weight to the bar when possible
    Do use good form

Oh yeah, and I forgot one more don't................ DON'T QUIT!!!!!

Stay positive!!

Tim
    Strictly Business

Comment

Arnold Swarzenegger's Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding, look for it cheap on Amazon.com. It has all the basics and then some

Comment

Originally posted by Timski View Post
        Bodybuilding for Beginners

By Tim Wescott: Part 1

If you are thinking about embarking on a fitness or bodybuilding program, here are a few pointers you should know before you begin.

1.Consult your physician, especially if you are really out of shape or extremely overweight.)
        2.Set realistic fitness goals and record them in a notebook.
        3.Start off slowly.
        4.Stick to the basics.
        5.Commit to your program.
        6.Weigh yourself and take measurements
        7. Build a foundation (don't be tempted to follow an advanced routine, you will eventually get there if you are patient.)

Following this advice will be very helpful in the long run. Lets begin with a program for the extremely underweight person. These are the people who can eat just about anything without gaining a pound.

If you fall into this category you know how frustrating it can be to put on a single pound of muscle. Don't be fooled into believing some ad in a muscle book telling how you can get huge muscles almost
        overnight with very little effort.

You must work hard, stick to the basics, and eat more quality muscle building foods. There are 3 basic different body types and some people have certain characteristics of all 3.

Let's review them and then design a program for all 3 types.

1. Ectomorph-Extremely thin with a very fast metabolism.
        2. Mesomorph-Athletically built and usually classified as an easy gainer.
        3. Endomorph- Usually overweight ,with a very slow metabolism.

We'll start with the Ectomorph.

Day #1
        Upper body:
        Here are the exercises we'll be using, DON'T DEVIATE FROM THIS:

Bench Press-3sets of 8 reps,
        Barbell Row-3 sets of 8 reps
        Barbell Press - 3 sets of 8reps
        Barbell Curls-3 sets of 8 reps
        Triceps Pressdowns 3 sets of 8 reps

Lowerbody:
        Squats-3 sets of 8,10,12, reps.
        Leg Extensions-3 sets of 10 reps
        Calf Raises-5 sets of 10-25 reps
        Crunches- 4 sets of 20 reps

and that's it.

The reason I stress not adding any other exercises to this routine is because, being extremely under weight you do not want to overwork, and you must conserve energy to re-build the torn down muscle tissue.

Now the matter of what to eat to feed those injured muscles. I would recommend eating every 3 hours or so. I know from personal experience this might not seem possible, but you must try to eat at least a little more until your body becomes acclimated to the new food intake.

We no longer label our 3 meals as breakfast , lunch, and dinner, because we will be eating at least 5 but preferably 6 meals a day., and they are now known as meals 1-6.Ready?

Here goes :
        Meal # 1: 3 whole eggs
        2 slices wholegrain toast
        1 banana
        8oz. fat free milk

Meal # 2:1 can tuna on wholegrain bread with low fat mayo
        1 orange
        8 oz. fat free milk

Meal # 3:Protein shake 2 scoops of your favorite protein powder
        2 whole eggs
        1 scoop of ice cream
        1 tbsp. peanut butter

Meal# 4:Steak, chicken, or fish
        1 baked potato
        1 cup of vegetables
        8 oz. fat free milk

Meal # 5:Another protein shake.

That should be enough for starters as you will probably have a hard time eating this amount. After you get used to this regimen I suggest eating one more meal preferably before bedtime.

Your workouts will be as follows :
        Upperbody on Mon.& Thurs.-
        Lowerbody on Tues. and Fri.
        Rest on the other three days

Keep outside activities to a minimum so as not to burn excess calories needed to build muscle.

If you find this diet too much to consume slowly make an effort to eat just a little more all the time.
        ALSO GET AS MUCH GOOD SOUND SLEEP AS YOU CAN.

Now on to the Endomorph:

I would offer the same advice to them also except do 3 days of low intensity cardio just for your endurance and to keep fat gain to minimum. Mind you this is only a temporary routine. I'll update it as you progress.

Onward to our Mesomorphic friends:

Same routine ,different diet, and 4 to 5 days of cardio of your choice.

I recommend walking on the treadmill. As you get in better shape increase duration, but start off at 20 minutes slowly building up to 30-45 minutes.

If this seems like a lot of work, it is, but as I tell my clients if you can't stay motivated ,stand naked in front of a full length mirror, if you don't like what you see this should be motivation enough. I will go a lot deeper into fat loss but here we are just beginning.

The diet:
        Meal #1.
        7 egg whites cooked in Pam cooking spray
        1/2 cup oatmeal with sugar substitute (no milk).

Meal # 2.
        Protein shake in water - 2 scoops

Meal # 3.
        1 can of tuna
        1 small salad with lemon juice or vinegar.

Meal # 4.:
        chicken breast (no skin)
        1/2 cup brown rice (I recommend SUCCESS BOIL IN BAG)
        1/2 cup steamed broccoli.

Meal # 5.:
        1 can tuna
        water

Meal #6.:
        Protein shake in water.

That's it.

Now here are some helpful tips to avoid hunger pangs and binging.

#1-Eat your food slowly,
        #2-Always drink at least a gallon of water a day. There are a lot of good reasons for doing this but for you it will create a sensation of fullness.
        #3-If you must eat something ,pick a healthy low calorie snack, such as raw veggie cakes, fat free yogurt, salad, etc.

Now for some does and don'ts for all 3 body types:
        Let's get to the Don'ts first:
        Don't eat junk
        Don't forget water
        Don't miss workouts
        Don't deviate from this routine
        Don't slack off.

Now for the Do's:
        Do train hard
        Do be consistent
        Do adhere to your diet
        Do add weight to the bar when possible
        Do use good form

Oh yeah, and I forgot one more don't................ DON'T QUIT!!!!!

Stay positive!!

Tim
        very nice I couldn't of said it better and good luck just don't quit
        LRN483 5% off at www.trueprotein.com

Comment

Hi, all -- just have some questions concerning general work-outs. Yes, they're newbie questions... because I am a newbie.

1) How many exercises per muscle group? Is there a minimum?

depends on what routine you are doing..and how many sets per exercise..how many days per week you wanna workout etc etc...

a simple routine that works is a 4 or 5 day split working a muscle once a week. nothing special. sounds boring..but the magic happens when you are consistent...it doesnt matter what routine you use..as long as its not totally fucked up.

3-4 exercises..depending on body part.

one muscle per session 45-60min of intense effort..keep rest periods short between sets...1-2min. 10-20 sets per workout.

keep doing it year after year. change routine every 4-6 weeks.(doesnt have to be major changes..)

2) When should I max out on a body part? 1 exercise? 2 exercises? Go hard or Go home?

you dont need to max out..just use 6-10 reps on upper body exercises..and 6-15 on lower body exercises(not exact numbers..just general guidelines) go to failure on some sets..on all sets isnt necessary.
          3) Should I use machines to warm up, then save all the effort on free-weights?

no do the other way around. in general start with a free weight exercise. specially as a newbie. but dont be afraid to use machines too..use both.
          4) Is there a suppliment that I can take in the morning to get me frickin' wired throughout the day? Please bear in mind I used to drink 2 liters of diet Pepsi a day to wake up, and I've had some bad experiences with ephedra and No-Doze ("They're crawling... under... my... skin....").

no, dont go that route..just take a cup of coffee,if you want.dont rely on stimulants. forget all other types of stimulants.

Any other advise that any esteemed member here can give will always be appreciated.

yes, stay consistent!! its alot more important than all the small details! do the exercises correctly and leave the ego outside of the gym for an hour!

good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by bigben0426 View Post
            Arnold Swarzenegger's Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding, look for it cheap on Amazon.com. It has all the basics and then some
            this book is fine but.........

BEGINNERS SHOULD NOT FOLLOW THE ROUTINES IN THIS BOOK!!!
            2013 NPC MID-ILLINOIS LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMP

Comment

How Many Exercises Per?
              Honestly, look up a few different routines. Ask the guys in the gym that look good to you what they do. Everyone's body works differently.

For example, my uncle was an amatuer bodybuilder (he was doing it for his health, entered a couple competitions on the way, but nothing serious). He called his workout "5 of 5." You work one muscle group per day (back, biceps, chest, legs, shoulders/neck, triceps), but you do ONLY 5 different exercises, with 1 set of 5 reps per exercise. Rest 30 seconds between exercises. That's right: you will ONLY be doing a total of 25 reps PER muscle group. The key is to get a weight that, when you hit that 4th rep, is really hard, and you might need a spotter on the 5th rep. An example of a bicep exercise is to do 5 reps of DB (dumb bell) curls, rest 30 seconds, do 5 reps of hammer curls, rest 30 second, do 5 reps of preacher curls, rest 30 seconds, do 5 reps of DB curls where the inner head of the DB hits the outer side of your shoulder, rest 30 seconds, do 5 reps of DB curls where the outer head of the DB hits the inner side of your shoulder, leave gym. It literally takes about 5-10 minutes for each workout.

Since my uncle and I do have some similar genes, I decided to try this. In one month, I went from zero to "where the HELL did that come from?"

This may not work for you. I must also warn you that this workout is TOTAL CRAP for endurance. It will only put strength and size on you.

When should I max?
              Refer to above. Everyone is different, you're going to have to do trial and error.

Warm-ups?
              I personally do not warm up on anything, I stretch and do yoga so I'm not worried about warming up to prevent injury. I highly recommend yoga. If you're concerned about warming up, the best way to stretch is to do what you're going to do for said activity. This means that if you want to work triceps, go through all the machines/free-weights that you'll be using, in the exercises that you'll be using, just use light weights.

Wake-Up supplement?
              I have a few suggestions. Lipo 6 (I ALWAYS take Lipo 6 with me for field training when I know I'll be up for over 24 hours), NRG (8 hour power) by Xenedrine (this will keep you up, but you will not be jittery), or coffee. Yes, 2 liters of Pepsi, I know, but 2 liters of a strong coffee is going to kick your ass way more than Pepsi, so brew yourself a strong pot, put it in a thermos, and get on with your day. You can serve it iced, add some flavors, whatever. I take mine black, but if you toss in some fat-free milk, you've just added more protein for your day.

Any other advice?
              Eat clean (as little processing as possible), drink about a gallon of filtered/spring water a day (NOT tap water), and do yoga in addition to your workouts to preserve your joints, improve your muscle tone and flexibility, as well as countless other benefits.
              Why are you wearing that stupid bunny suit?

Comment

Working...
              X