Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

amount of rest between workouts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• amount of rest between workouts

i'm new to this forum but i jus had a few questions. i was wonderin if my resting time between workouts is enough or should i rest more. and if i have a good routine or should i change it a little. i'm not really lookin to get big or jacked. i'm going more for endurance. i dont use any supplements or protein or anything like that.

usually i workout every other day. lik for a week i'll workout on sunday, skip monday, workout on tuesday, then thursday, etc. plus i not only use weights but i also use a heavy bag. so sunday and tuesday will be weights, and thursday i'll use the heavy bag, then saturday will be weights again, etc. usually i workout for almost an hour with the weights. ohh, i only have dumbbells also.

heres my routine but not always in the same order.
    bicep curl-30lbs 2 sets, 12 reps
    seated shoulder press-40lbs 2 sets, 12 reps
    bench press-50lbs 2 sets, 30 reps, then 30 again or until fail
    over arm tricep extension-25lbs 2 sets, 12 reps
    bent over dumbbell rows-35lbs 2 sets, 12 reps
    squats-70lbs 2 sets, 12 reps
    crunches-2 sets 60 reps

my questions are; and i resting enough between workout days, or should i rest more? because i read from a bunch of sites that the body needs at least 24 hours of rest. and is it ok that i'm doing my whole body in one day or should i divide the muscle groups into diferent days lik my friend was talkin about. again i'm going for endurance, so am i on the right track? any tips and/or advice would also be great.

If you a nattie, i recommend 4 days of workout.
    And don' t do the same area twice in 4 days. Only calves, and forearms.
    No one is special, some were patient.

Comment

And welcome to MD
      No one is special, some were patient.

Comment

Originally posted by Stealth View Post
        i'm new to this forum but i jus had a few questions. i was wonderin if my resting time between workouts is enough or should i rest more. and if i have a good routine or should i change it a little. i'm not really lookin to get big or jacked. i'm going more for endurance. i dont use any supplements or protein or anything like that.

usually i workout every other day. lik for a week i'll workout on sunday, skip monday, workout on tuesday, then thursday, etc. plus i not only use weights but i also use a heavy bag. so sunday and tuesday will be weights, and thursday i'll use the heavy bag, then saturday will be weights again, etc. usually i workout for almost an hour with the weights. ohh, i only have dumbbells also.

heres my routine but not always in the same order.
        bicep curl-30lbs 2 sets, 12 reps
        seated shoulder press-40lbs 2 sets, 12 reps
        bench press-50lbs 2 sets, 30 reps, then 30 again or until fail
        over arm tricep extension-25lbs 2 sets, 12 reps
        bent over dumbbell rows-35lbs 2 sets, 12 reps
        squats-70lbs 2 sets, 12 reps
        crunches-2 sets 60 reps

my questions are; and i resting enough between workout days, or should i rest more? because i read from a bunch of sites that the body needs at least 24 hours of rest ( more like 72-96 depending on volume and intensity) . and is it ok that i'm doing my whole body in one day or should i divide the muscle groups into diferent days lik my friend was talkin about. again i'm going for endurance, so am i on the right track? any tips and/or advice would also be great.
        Sounds like you hit each muscle every other day?? That is very bad. 2x a week per muscle group is enough, some people only hit them 1x a week but typiically use high volume if they do this.

This is what a beginner needs to be doing. 3-4 sets of each, 8-12 reps to start, stay away from low reps till you feel very comfortable with these exercises and their form. Also do not train to failure till you have put in several months in the gym...training to failure in my opinion iis for advanced lifters only and if not done right can lead to injury.

Deadlift
        Squat

Military Press
        Rows
        SLDL and/or hamstring curls
        standing calf raise
        Bench and/or Incline
        Pullups ( biceps and back)
        Close grip bench or dips ( triceps)
        ABS

To start you can split this into two workouts each done 2x a week with low or medium volume....Do an upper day and a lower day...lower exerrcises are highlighted in black
        Last edited by GeorgeForemanRules; April 28, 2007, 08:34 PM.

Comment

yea, i actually i looked at a few sites also. i was tearing down muscle. so i'm gonna take this week off. starting monday it will be, weights for the upper body on mondays, weights for the lower body on wednesdays, and heavybag work on fridays.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick_Bateman View Post
            Sounds like you hit each muscle every other day?? That is very bad. 2x a week per muscle group is enough, some people only hit them 1x a week but typiically use high volume if they do this.

This is what a beginner needs to be doing. 3-4 sets of each, 8-12 reps to start, stay away from low reps till you feel very comfortable with these exercises and their form. Also do not train to failure till you have put in several months in the gym...training to failure in my opinion iis for advanced lifters only and if not done right can lead to injury.

Deadlift
            Squat
            Military Press
            Rows
            SLDL and/or hamstring curls
            standing calf raise
            Bench and/or Incline
            Pullups ( biceps and back)
            Close grip bench or dips ( triceps)
            ABS

To start you can split this into two workouts each done 2x a week with low or medium volume....Do an upper day and a lower day...lower exerrcises are highlighted in black
            Bro, that is solid advice!!

Comment

Working...
            X