Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Is it my diet making me lose more than just fat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it my diet making me lose more than just fat?

I've been an MD reader for years and thought I would bring a lot of my questions to the forum here, rather than just stand by and read.

I'm 25, 6'2, and 240 with 18% BF. I would like to be in single digit body fat by mid-summer.

I'm fairly content with my training. I'm hitting the weights hard and heavy with a five day split (heavy weight with reps in the 8-12 rep range), and it terms of strength and mass, my body feels strong and balanced. I've done cardio three days this week (this is the first week that I've been trying to cut fat) by doing 30-40 minutes of lap swimming at my gym's pool. I'm planning on increasing this as I get used to it.

My main concern is my macros. I'm wanting to see fat loss at a steady rate (1.5-2 pounds a week is what I'm hoping for), but without sparing muscle. I have tried low carb and keto diets in the past and have failed miserably. Even 48 hours on those have made me feel like a different person, but physically and mentally. Once I get my physique lean, I'll become much more concerned with earning new mass.

Meal # 1 - Oatmeal, Protein Shake, Raw almonds
    Pre-Workout - Protein shake, oatmeal
    Post-Workout - Protein shake, 40-50 g dextrose
    Meal # 2 - Grilled chicken, Brown Rice, Broccoli
    Meal # 3 - Atlantic Salmon, Brown Rice, Broccoli
    Meal # 4 - Top sirloin, asparagus
    Before-Bed - Protein shake (casein), raw almonds

On non-training days, I'll eliminate the workout meals and replace them with a small meal, usually meat and veggies.

My totals hit around 2,300-2,400 calories,220-230, protein, 200-200 carbs, 75-80 fats on training days, and 1,800-1,900/200/150/80-90 on non-training days

For supplementation, I'm taking a multivitamin, the "asteroid stack" from USP Labs (Prime, Anabolic Pump, and Powerfull), SizeOn, Superpump, Beta-Alanine, Lipolyze, and Somalyze.

Will this current diet help me both lose fat and maintain muscle, or should I be increasing/decreasing anything?

Thanks

I'd offer that it looks like you have too many shakes in your diet. If you can help it, limit to two a day. Whole foods are always better if you can help it, whey shakes should be a suppliment, not a replacement for eating. Try a couple eggs scrambled with egg whites along with your oatmeal in the morning, you'd be able to cut out the almonds. Using shakes pre and post workout should be fine.
    Try not to let hurdles hold you down because they will always be there.

Comment

Thanks.

Any alternatives for eggs? I've tried to eat them ever since I started training and it hasn't worked out. I can eat chicken and brown rice to no end, but eggs make me gag every time.

What about my levels of calories/protein/carbs/fats? Okay for my cutting goals?

Comment

I'd at least cut out the shake for breakfast and sub in a whole food source of protein. It doesn't have to be eggs, it could just as well be chicken or fish. You could probably also drop some of the carbs or some of the fats to speed things up a bit. Also, 1.5-2lb of pure fat loss probably isn't going to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by CrosbyMalkin View Post
          Any alternatives for eggs? I've tried to eat them ever since I started training and it hasn't worked out. I can eat chicken and brown rice to no end, but eggs make me gag every time.
          Then eat chicken and brown rice for breakfast. Problem solved. Or sub in something like turkey bacon, or try drinking raw eggs.

What about my levels of calories/protein/carbs/fats? Okay for my cutting goals?
          That's the problem. I was under the impression you'd been doing this diet for a while, lost strength, and wanted our opinion on if it was your diet that was the culprit. We can give general opinions, but your diet and training are based on not only your goals, but your body. Try out your own program and if it doesn't work for you, then come here and ask for help. Until then, you need to pay attention to your body and how it reacts.
          Why are you wearing that stupid bunny suit?

Comment

try putting salsa on the eggs, that's what I do to choke them down, not so bad. Before that I always used to have to scramble them with cheese but I've been trying to cut back on the dairy while cutting.
            Try not to let hurdles hold you down because they will always be there.

Comment

I agree too many shakes. Also if you have a tough time with eggs there's no rule saying you have to eat them for breakfast. Maybe eat some lean beef instead.
              http://www.facebook.com/DannyManslaughter

Comment

This is my first post here, but I have been involved in bodybuilding for 28 years now and running my own gym for the last 12 years, so I have plenty of experience to back me up when I say that I have no doubt that the shakes are not the problem here at all. Hes eating oatmeal twice a day and brown rice twice a day, those are way too many carbs, complex or not, to be eating a day and hoping to get down to a single digit body fat figure. Id bet my gym on this, its one thing not to be able to handle a keto diet and another thing to having four servings of carbs a day. I have gotten myself down to 5% bodyfat drinking 5-6 shakes a day, so as long as you are drinking high protein low to no carb shakes, I can guarantee you that that isnt your problem. It may not be what you want to hear, but Im going to explain it to you just like Id explain it to any of my gym members who wants to get down to single digit body fat figures----you MUST cut the carbs!!!!!!!!!!! Only a very, very, very small number of gifted people can get ripped eating carbs!! If low carbs dont sit well with you, you are going to have to bite the bullet and get used to it slowly. Start to drop one carb meal once a week, and let your body and mind get used to it. Youll find it tough at first, but you need to give it more than just 48 hours before giving up. The longer you go low carb, the easier it is. With all of my respect to all those who have posted so far, there is just no way anyone can get down to a single digit bf% number with that many carbs, his body will never kick into the fat burning mode with all those carbs in his system. C.B.

Comment

I love putting Salsa on my food!

Originally posted by teddy788 View Post
                  try putting salsa on the eggs, that's what I do to choke them down, not so bad. Before that I always used to have to scramble them with cheese but I've been trying to cut back on the dairy while cutting.

Comment

Originally posted by caballoviejo View Post
                    This is my first post here, but I have been involved in bodybuilding for 28 years now and running my own gym for the last 12 years, so I have plenty of experience to back me up when I say that I have no doubt that the shakes are not the problem here at all. Hes eating oatmeal twice a day and brown rice twice a day, those are way too many carbs, complex or not, to be eating a day and hoping to get down to a single digit body fat figure. Id bet my gym on this, its one thing not to be able to handle a keto diet and another thing to having four servings of carbs a day. I have gotten myself down to 5% bodyfat drinking 5-6 shakes a day, so as long as you are drinking high protein low to no carb shakes, I can guarantee you that that isnt your problem. It may not be what you want to hear, but Im going to explain it to you just like Id explain it to any of my gym members who wants to get down to single digit body fat figures----you MUST cut the carbs!!!!!!!!!!! Only a very, very, very small number of gifted people can get ripped eating carbs!! If low carbs dont sit well with you, you are going to have to bite the bullet and get used to it slowly. Start to drop one carb meal once a week, and let your body and mind get used to it. Youll find it tough at first, but you need to give it more than just 48 hours before giving up. The longer you go low carb, the easier it is. With all of my respect to all those who have posted so far, there is just no way anyone can get down to a single digit bf% number with that many carbs, his body will never kick into the fat burning mode with all those carbs in his system. C.B.
                    I think you're right. I've been doing some research and thinking about it, and I've shifted my approach and will be beginning a keto diet on Monday.

Comment

If you are natural, you are probably not going to be able to maintain muscle while on a keto diet.
                      You are probably going to loose some muscle mass with the fat.
                      Last edited by Buadain; April 3, 2010, 10:10 PM.
                      My Competition Prep Journal

Muscular Development Forum Rules

Comment

Originally posted by DBowden View Post
                        If you are natural, you are probably not going to be able to maintain muscle while on a keto diet.
                        You are probably going to loose some muscle mass with the fat.
                        A very good point, which is why I think that the protein shakes are so important in his diet and he should not drop them. If anything, he could even add shakes if he drops his carbs to keep muscle loss to a minimum. We all know that some muscle loss is inevitable on a cutting diet, so my goal for myself or any of my gym members is to keep that loss to a minimum. When ever I cut my own carbs or anyone elses getting ready for I show, I always jack up the clean protein intake to try and compensate for the lower carbs. Everyones body is different and reacts differently, but I just dont see him getting down to where he wants to be without cutting the carbs. Im glad to see that you are going to try the lower carb approach CrosbyMalkin, but just remember what I said and take it slow if youve had problems going low carb before. Just start out by dropping one carb meal (Id start with one before your workout so as to burn more fat during training), a week and see what happens. You dont have to be drastic at first, give your body time to adjust. If after a week you feel okay and are dropping weight you can think about dropping another carb meal, or just wait till the weight stops dropping, and then cut more carbs. As long as I am loosing weight I usually wont make any adjustments. Keep us posted, C.B.
                        Last edited by caballoviejo; April 5, 2010, 06:09 AM.

Comment

If you follow the diet correctly every pound you lose should be about 75% fat 25% muscle, just take your time and keep upping your poundages and keep stressing your muscles so your body will have a reason to hold on to muscle tissue.
                          Two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer.

Comment

in my opinion, i agree with most of the guys here and tell you that you have way to many shakes in your diet man. remember that protein shakes are just supplements to take the place of whole foods not to replace them. i dont do any more than 2 shakes in the off-season and i usually cut them out pre-contest or maybe 1 if that in case of emergencies. replace some of your shakes with lean meats like chicken, turkey, tuna, egg whites, etc... and also i dont think you're eating enough man. if you're really 18% bodyfat, you have 200 lbs of lean muscle mass. and i usually have 1.5-2g of carbs per pound of lean body weight. remember that if you dont eat enough you're going to eat away at muscle tissue, which is what you dont want to do man. you wanna keep all the hard earned muscle you have. so give that a try if you want. good luck and keep us posted.
                            AAEFX BOARD REP *Free sample of AAEFX's Pre-Workout,K-OTIC,call #1-888-238-1864(ext. 345)

Comment

Yes you need as much solid food as possible, and use shakes as a meal replacement just twice a day if possible.

Comment

Working...
                              X