Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Hi Everyone. Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

How should an exercise feel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How should an exercise feel?

Hey again, everybody. One more quick question. How should lifting feel? I hear people talking about a burn all the time, but I never burn. I get quasy pumps, I lift to failure everytime. I feel the muscles contract VERY hard, but I don't burn... So, yeah. How's lifting supposed to feel?
    A country boy can survive ...

LemonPeppo Art
    www.lemonpeppo.com

Originally posted by gntlben View Post
    Hey again, everybody. One more quick question. How should lifting feel? I hear people talking about a burn all the time, but I never burn. I get quasy pumps, I lift to failure everytime. I feel the muscles contract VERY hard, but I don't burn... So, yeah. How's lifting supposed to feel?
    This is pretty subjective, but...

You'll probably feel the burn more often/quickly in some muscles than in others. I feel it in my calves and forearms, especially.

Having a mind-muscle connection and feeling the muscles contract through the controlled movement is important. Not simply "going through the motions." Good to hear that you seem to be doing that.

You probably shouldn't go to failure on every set for a body part, though, only the last set or possibly the last two. But certainly the last rep of every set not taken to failure should be close to the last one possible at that weight.

In general you should be feeling a good deal of resistance in the correct muscles for the exercise (i.e. when benching you should feel your chest doing most of the work as opposed to triceps or front deltoids).
    Psychobilly legend.

Comment

Some say you need pumps, some say you gotta lift heavy.

Decide
      No one is special, some were patient.

Comment

How many reps are doing for each bodypart?

I feel that to feel the burn,you`d have to be doing a bit higher reps for the most part...pyramids work good on a lot of exercises.....example,12,10,8,6,15,adding wt. each set then decreasing it for the final set and going for a mega-pump and burn in the targeted area.
        Strictly Business

Comment

Thanks alot y'all! I'm glad to know I'm doing it right. I didn't know that the pump came from higher reps lower weight. I just thought I was doing something wrong. I think I'll try heavy, with one excercise of high reps for each body put to burn it out at the end. Thanks a heap!

Ben
          A country boy can survive ...

LemonPeppo Art
          www.lemonpeppo.com

Comment

Burning is from lactic acid building up and throwing off your pH.

Typically happens in higher rep ranges.

The real question is, how do YOU feel when you're lifting? Do you feel like it was all good?

Comment

Also developing the mind/muscxle connection will help you feel the muscles a lot more than you would by just heaving the weight around.......good form is a serious plus.
              Strictly Business

Comment

for a good burn i like my lifting style. i do 2 working sets per exercise.... for the 1st i go 10-12 reps to failure, that gets the burn started. and on the 2nd set i do a much heavier weight 3-5 reps to failure, drop the weight and go 4-7 reps to failure, go back up to the first weight of the set and do 3-6 negatives, and then lastly drop the weight greatly and do 4 sec positives 4 sec negatives to failure

Comment

Originally posted by killinweights View Post
                  for a good burn i like my lifting style. i do 2 working sets per exercise.... for the 1st i go 10-12 reps to failure, that gets the burn started. and on the 2nd set i do a much heavier weight 3-5 reps to failure, drop the weight and go 4-7 reps to failure, go back up to the first weight of the set and do 3-6 negatives, and then lastly drop the weight greatly and do 4 sec positives 4 sec negatives to failure
                  Judging by yer profile pic, it's working for you!
                  Psychobilly legend.

Comment

Originally posted by Lights Out View Post
                    Judging by yer profile pic, it's working for you!

lol thanks thats about 2 years old but i havent really been motivated enough to take a new pic... set a goal and wont show anybody anything until i hit it lol

Comment

lol thanks thats about 2 years old but i havent really been motivated enough to take a new pic... set a goal and wont show anybody anything until i hit it lol
                      Haha I hear you. When I hit my last goal (lose 30 pounds or so of FAT) I wasn't happy at all! Not enough muscle! And so it goes...
                      Psychobilly legend.

Comment

lol yeah ive got about 50lbs to go, then ill start cutting... gotta look big for my first show

Comment

lol yeah ive got about 50lbs to go, then ill start cutting... gotta look big for my first show
                          Cool--and maybe as important, gotta look razor sharp and conditioned.
                          Psychobilly legend.

Comment

exactly thats why im gaining so much more mass is because i know i have a lot to lose lol

Comment

exactly thats why im gaining so much more mass is because i know i have a lot to lose lol
                              Keep us all posted on your contest prep and plans. Maybe start a thread closer to the time. Always good to follow people's paths to victory!
                              Psychobilly legend.

Comment

Working...
                              X