Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

order of importance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• order of importance

Hey all! Nice to see a beginner's board.

My question is this: What are the most important supplements in order of importance? I'm on a budget and am trying to decide what to spend my money on.

I assume a protein shake would be the most important and I've been doing that for years. I also started taking Omega-3, and a couple doses of BCAAs on days I workout.

L-Carnitine and Creatine haven't seemed to do a darned thing for me.
    http://stumblingtobethlehem.blogspot.com/

1. protein
    2. omega 3,6,9 oils (udo's is great)
    3. bcaa
    4. multi vitamin
    5. multi mineral
    6. creatine

carnitine works you just have to take alot of it and it is something you see over time not right away
    2013 NPC MID-ILLINOIS LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMP

Comment

NEXT THATS IMPORTANT YOU CANT BUY: IT'S TIME

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY NO HOLES IN YOUR DIET

Comment

Thanks. I'll do my best to afford the BCAAs. I had a feeling they were important. I should have also mentioned that I do take a multi-vitamin/multi-mineral supplement.

I try to eat healthy (I cut out sugar 3 years ago and eat more salads and veggies now). I get to the gym usually 3 days a week, but do some sort of physical activity 6 days a week.

Comment

Oh yeah...is ZMA worth taking?

Comment

dont try....do

i know you just started i remember when you got on here.....you have to give this time....ive been training for a good 8 years (some were better than others, and admittedly it was off and on here and there cuz of a drug problem and various other things) but you have to just keep plugging away....dont miss workouts...dont miss meals....make sure you train as hard as you can..whenyou leave the gym you should tell yourself "i dont think i could do one more rep" and then do one more, ya know....i used to think i could get away with doing things like, stopping at subway for a meal, skipping leg day, not training abs, depending too much on supps.....but then i started meeting people in the industry who were successful and i watched what they did.....they carried they're meals with them in a cooler no matter where they were goin. didnt go out drinking on saturday night. didnt put a ton of bbq sauce on they're chicken, .... all the little things....thats what you need to do....after i started doing this, which i call the point where things got serious for me, that is when the results will come.....when you hit the point where you are doing EVERYTHING you need to do to be successful....that is when it is time to take it to the next level so to speak

does this make sense for everyone?

Comment

I honestly can't remember the last time I stopped at Subway or used BBQ sauce (high in sugar). I've cut way back on my alcohol consumption. I'm still trying to lose the last few pounds (I hit my goal, then regained 15 pounds), so my calories tend to be low and I try to make those calories count and be good quality.

Comment

ZMA--no

i was just using examples with the subway and sauce.......i dont like to set goals i can obtain in a few weeks. then you just hit your goal fast and make a new one or dont and gain the weight back....set a goal that will take a year and then see me....

Comment

I have long term goals. My body fat is 24% and I'd like to get it to 21%. So far, no progress. Gaining muscle for me is really hard even with sufficient calories. Strength yes...I am stronger. But no change in weight or body fat percentage during that time.

Comment

Order of importance:
                    1) multivitamin
                    2) essential fats (fish oil, evening primrose oil, flax oil, etc)
                    3) protein powders, but only if you aren't eating enough protein
                    4) glutamine
                    Nutrex Research
                    Exercise Science BS, CSCS

Comment

Originally posted by Newbirth View Post

My question is this: What are the most important supplements in order of importance? I'm on a budget and am trying to decide what to spend my money on.
                      Newbie.

As much as supplements are important, what is equally(if not more) important is when you take it. If you want to save money make sure you take the supplements at the right time.

Here is what I would recommend.

1) Protein powders: Since you are trying to lose fat it is important that you consume a small meal every 3 hours or so. This will keep you full as also kick your metabolism. I would recommend a blended protein(whey/egg/casein). Have a handful of almonds(5-10) with it for flavour and Essential Fatty Acids. I am assuming you a woman(by the picture) and so a scoop(about 20 gm protein) of powder should be just fine. Have it twice a day.

2) Multivitamin: Have any standard multivitamin but dont consume it all at one go. Your body absorbs vitamins better if you do it over two meals(my personal experience). Have a serving with morning and another with evening meal.

3) BCAA: Try the flavoured version. Have it during your workout and just before you go to bed. This will enable your body to not lose muscles. I have also observed that having BCAA before bed makes me sleep well as well.

I will keep it simple and sweet and suggest going with those three supplements only. If you are looking to be hardcore you can supplement with Creatine and NO compound as well. However it is better to start simple so you know what does, what doesnt work for you. There is no point in taking 5-6 supplements, reason being simply that if they work how do you know which one of the 5 works in the first place?

Good luck!

Comment

1. water
                        2. multi-vitamin/mineral
                        3. whey/casein blend protein (with a high enough glutamine content you would not need to buy glutamine)
                        4. Creatine
                        5. ephedrine/aspirin/caffeine-replaces all those expensive strength stimulators and is great for cutting. To be used sparingly and in moderation.
                        Now that's cheap!
                        If you can't be famous, shoot for infamy.-BB

Comment

I have long term goals. My body fat is 24% and I'd like to get it to 21%. So far, no progress. Gaining muscle for me is really hard even with sufficient calories. Strength yes...I am stronger. But no change in weight or body fat percentage during that time.
                          time time time

Comment

consistency, consistency, consistency

and stop drinking!

Comment

Working...
                            X