Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Training Split

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training Split

I work some messed up hours at work (Midnight Weekends)... But I only work 4 days a week (10-12 hours typically not counting any drive time and whatnot) So I get 3 days off in a row every week. I'm running into some mental blocks as to what kind of training split would work best for only being able to work out 3 straight days in a row.

Since most of the days I work, I end up going straight home, grab a bite to eat, then get some sleep, I really don't have as much time as i'd like to be able to work out on days that I work. Hence why I'm trying to come up with a split for 3 straight days of training.

The problem I'm running into when I'm trying to think of how to split my workouts, I always feel like I'm hitting body parts 2 days in a row (due to chest or shoulder also using triceps, etc.)

Any suggestions on how I could split my training to be more effective on 3 days in a row of training?

I`d train early in the morning.........great to do once you get used to it.
    Strictly Business

Comment

Early in the morning for me is like 2 in the afternoon haha... I get off work between 7 and 9 in the morning... I'm more so looking for suggestions on what body parts to work on each of the three days. So like Day 1 -chest/shoulders/tri's, Day 2 - Back/Bi's, Day 3 - Legs.... Something along those lines and now that I look at it thats not too terrible other than day 1 would be a pretty long workout as chest and shoulders can both take some punishment.

Just trying to figure out if theres a more effective way to split my body parts up

Comment

i say do Back/Tris , Legs/Shoulders , Chest/Bi's
        Something like that. I Dont like the whole chest/shoulders/tri's in one day split because you use all of those muscles to help when you do chest and you use tris to help your shoulders, so you burn out fast and cant really get a good workout for each one individually, or but for focus on them. Thats what i would do though if i had only 3 days to work with. Mabye do one in the morinng and one in the evening.

Comment

Originally posted by DelgadoMon View Post
          Something like that. I Dont like the whole chest/shoulders/tri's in one day split because you use all of those muscles to help when you do chest and you use tris to help your shoulders, so you burn out fast and cant really get a good workout for each one individually, or but for focus on them. Thats what i would do though if i had only 3 days to work with. Mabye do one in the morinng and one in the evening.
          i agreee with this.
          2013 NPC MID-ILLINOIS LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMP

Comment

Bad Advice

If you want to overtrain follow this plan!!! One reason people train chest/shoulders/tri's together is that you don't have to go as heavy for shoulders and tri's because they get some pre-exhaustion from working the chest. This reduces your chance of injury because the delts/tri's are already warmed up.

Muscles need at least 48 hours between being worked. If you plan on only working each muscle group once a week then his plan will work but no beginner or intermediate should only be working out each muscle group together especially if you are a natural lifter. Most Natties including myself work each muscle group twice a week (and I have been working out for 13 years).

Try this plan:
            Mon/Thurs - Legs, Back, Biceps, Calves
            Tues/Fri - Chest, Shoulders, Tri's, Core

Hope this helps,

Chris Oldcorn
            www.myspace.com/chrisoldcorn

Comment

Good split. I did it for a few years straight. On leg day make sure you do shoulders first.

NYC BIG MIKE
              Looking for the "gang of 20".

Comment

I'm not sure how your muscles respond, or how much time you're going to allow yourself, but I was on a regimen that had me in and out of the gym in 10 minutes. Put some good size and strength on my rather quickly, and I'm female and wasn't taking any supplement other than protein and a multi-vitamin. It worked for my uncle, who did amatuer shows, but I know for a fact it does not work for everyone. Just something to try. Let me know if you're interested.
                Why are you wearing that stupid bunny suit?

Comment

Originally posted by chrisoldcorn View Post
                  If you want to overtrain follow this plan!!! One reason people train chest/shoulders/tri's together is that you don't have to go as heavy for shoulders and tri's because they get some pre-exhaustion from working the chest. This reduces your chance of injury because the delts/tri's are already warmed up.

Muscles need at least 48 hours between being worked. If you plan on only working each muscle group once a week then his plan will work but no beginner or intermediate should only be working out each muscle group together especially if you are a natural lifter. Most Natties including myself work each muscle group twice a week (and I have been working out for 13 years).

Try this plan:
                  Mon/Thurs - Legs, Back, Biceps, Calves
                  Tues/Fri - Chest, Shoulders, Tri's, Core

Hope this helps,

Chris Oldcorn
                  www.myspace.com/chrisoldcorn
                  Twice a week for a newbie is too much. Other than targeting a lagging muscle, twice a week is too much period.

Comment

Originally posted by AlphaMale View Post
                    Twice a week for a newbie is too much. Other than targeting a lagging muscle, twice a week is too much period.
                    Twice a week is fine for a beginner. You make your greatest gains in the first 6 months to a year. When you stop growing, switch up the plan or cut back then. You can hit arms, calves, abs, traps a 2 times a week. The bigger the muscle, the more complex and more recovery needed.

Comment

Originally posted by vargasty View Post
                      Twice a week is fine for a beginner. You make your greatest gains in the first 6 months to a year. When you stop growing, switch up the plan or cut back then. You can hit arms, calves, abs, traps a 2 times a week. The bigger the muscle, the more complex and more recovery needed.

i dont agree... while you make great gains you still need adequate rest i wouldnt waste that timeframe overtraining

Comment

Push/pull/legs

Train movements not muscles

Functional Training

Comment

Originally posted by killinweights View Post
                          i dont agree... while you make great gains you still need adequate rest i wouldnt waste that timeframe overtraining
                          You "need" 48-72 hours between training the same muscle groups. That equates to twice a week if you want or feel need to.

Comment

lol train with me and tell me you feel recuperated after 72 hours

Comment

Originally posted by vargasty View Post
                              You "need" 48-72 hours between training the same muscle groups. That equates to twice a week if you want or feel need to.
                              Really.....so volume and intensity have nothing to do with time off?

Comment

Working...
                              X