Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Pilates? How often?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pilates? How often?

I just started Pilates. How often does one need to do this to gain some sort of muscle tonage and maintain it? If the goal is tone and fit, is cardio enough at the gym (with Pilates)? Right now my figure is something special.

Pilates 3 times a week works wonders for my sister. It and a good diet seem to strip bodyfat better than most things I've seen. 3 times a week seems to work for her. It's pretty demanding so I'd start with that unless someone has more info.

It's tough, lemme tell ya. I always made fun of her and her little "girly" workout till she called my bluff and joined my gym for some weight training to prove she could take it. Which meant I had to do some pilates with her.

My ass and legs hurt like a sumbich is all I got to say. And I didn't even pick up anything heavier than an apendage. I aint goin near any pilates again soon.
    "Life is about choices: tap, nap, or SNAP!" ~ Future UFC Lightweight Champion Marcus Hicks

Comment

Originally posted by V Shredder View Post
      Pilates 3 times a week works wonders for my sister. It and a good diet seem to strip bodyfat better than most things I've seen. 3 times a week seems to work for her. It's pretty demanding so I'd start with that unless someone has more info.

It's tough, lemme tell ya. I always made fun of her and her little "girly" workout till she called my bluff and joined my gym for some weight training to prove she could take it. Which meant I had to do some pilates with her.

My ass and legs hurt like a sumbich is all I got to say. And I didn't even pick up anything heavier than an apendage. I aint goin near any pilates again soon.

i just tried this yoga show called "namaste" , i only lost my balance 3 times and fell, luckilly i was alone.

Comment

yeah my girl did pilates... i tried once and it kicked my ass

Comment

I have done pilates, and I also do yoga. I started yoga to supplement lifting because I didn't want my joints to go the way of the dodo come 40.

My muscles love to grow, so even when I do yoga, I get a muscular benefit from it. Well, you should see a muscular benefit, but a week of a 10 minute yoga routine isn't supposed to make your pecs stand out.

My suggestion is to do both yoga and pilates, but out of the two (if you just want to do one or the other), I am a HUGE supporter of yoga. Not only has it been around for thousands of years, but it is designed not to "tone" you, but to get your body functioning properly, to get the blood flow corrected, to condition your muscles/joints/tendons, and to correct your energy (recent studies show that everything emits an "energy." Whether you want to believe that it's something spiritual is up to you, but the energy itself does exist), make sure your glands are functioning properly, and to flush the body of unnecessary chemicals (toxins). Pilates, on the other hand, is designed to get your body into shape, with no regard to most of the things that yoga focuses on.

Now, me, I wanted to be BIG, so I went to the gym at the same time. Picking up a weight isn't going to instantly put size on you. Look how hard and long these men and women bodybuild: it doesn't happen on accident, so if you're not looking to get "scary big," don't worry, you WON'T. That said, I highly recommend that you DO work with heavy weights, and once you find a size you like, switch to lighter weights and lower reps to maintain it. At the same time, do yoga.

To answer your question, I would do pilates as frequently as any workout, but YOGA you can (and should) do every day...twice a day if possible.
          Why are you wearing that stupid bunny suit?

Comment

Working...
          X