Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Hi Everyone. Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Know your goals first!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Know your goals first!

I wanted to post this to allow many begining and veteran lifters alike to understand the importance of truly knowing what your goals are when you train every day and every week. Below is the ones I just did last week.

2007 Summer Off-Season
    Goals and Objectives
    Goal 1. To keep my body fat at 14% or under through August 6
    • Maintain a 90% clean diet each week
    • Maintain a 3x a week cardio routine of 30 minute sessions
    • Take weekly pictures to gauge progress and appearance
    • Keep waist and abdomen girths to 94 and 91cm maximum
    • Do not consume carbohydrates after 6pm

Goal 2. To improve my strength by 10% every week on every lift through August 6
    A. Track progress through the use a of a daily log book
    B. Train with 100% intensity every single workout
    C. Stick to the 4 day weekly split routine program and nothing more

Goal 3. To keep weight gain at 1/2 to 1 pound every week through August 6
    A. Do not skip any of the 6-7 daily meals on diet plan
    B. Finish all meals listed on diet plan every day
    C. Maintain good meal timing at least 90% of each day
    D. Make liberal use of pre and post workout supplements on workout days

Goal 4. To increase my girth measurements by ~10% by August 6
    A. Increase upper arm girth to 40cm
    B. Increase quad girth to 60cm
    C. Increase chest girth to 130cm
    D. Increase shoulder girth to 140cm
    MS - Human Sport Performance
    NSCA - CPT, CSCS

yeah setting goals definitely makes your efforts a lot more effective and gives you more motivation

Comment

This is very awesome, but I am curious how you came up with the numbers for Goal 4. My trouble is, for gains, I can never set realistic size goals. Is there a way to calculate it?
      Why are you wearing that stupid bunny suit?

Comment

Originally posted by strawberryriddick View Post
        This is very awesome, but I am curious how you came up with the numbers for Goal 4. My trouble is, for gains, I can never set realistic size goals. Is there a way to calculate it?
        With in all honesty bro..don't calculate your goals to achieive what the

trainer standing next you says is what you should be aiming at..

You need to achieve personal achievements at each training session wether

it be increase in weight ,rep or intensity its more important to beat your

previous best in any of the above situations as a beginner trainer....but

after some time of subsational training,than ask for some advanced

training methods off any of the better versed fellas on this board
        Last edited by Dlew6969; June 15, 2007, 08:13 AM.
        Muscular Development Forum Rules :.

Comment

Absolutely... a good training log can not be stressed enough, it's paramount to understand where you are going... and where you have been.

Simply going into the gym and moving some weights is not going to cut it after the initial adaptations have occured (connective tissue, mind-muscle connection). You can easily fall into a rut where you present no stimilis for growth.

With goals and a written journal, you know for certain how much you must push yourself to stay on a progressive track.
          Ramblings and gear: WarriorFX.com : 500-word winners in 2008

Comment

yeah.. i keep a log of every weight every set every rep and also every macro nutrient as well as total calories and meal times... has helped a shitload

Comment

I think the best part of the post is that the goals are defined, MEASURABLE, and there is a METHOD to accomplish them. Too many people have a goal of "putting on mass" or "losing as much fat as possible." I have certainly set goals as poorly as what I have just said, but try to do better now.

Comment

Originally posted by killinweights View Post
                yeah.. i keep a log of every weight every set every rep and also every macro nutrient as well as total calories and meal times... has helped a shitload
                The irony is when people label themselves as "hardgainers" but when asked to see their training journal they look at you like you just asked them to furnish a barbell from their ass...
                Ramblings and gear: WarriorFX.com : 500-word winners in 2008

Comment

So true!

I will say that my list of goals and objectives are quite exacting but it works for me very well. I want to know for sure what my goal is and how it is I will go about reaching that goal and by what time it must be achieved.

I agree so much with the statement made by so man people every day that their goal is to:

"To gain mass"

"To lose weight"

That might be the most pointless and useless goal one could have!

It lacks specifics (how much weight or mass, where from specificly)

It lacks a means (doing cardio, weights, sport, diet change)

It lacks a time frame or deadline (weeks, months, years?)

Is it feasible (gaining or losing 30lbs in 1 month just aint going to happen)

The 4 primary goals I listed are the ones I read to myself before every workout (its taped to my log book). This allows me to be positive of why I am there in the gym that day and how I am going to get the job done.
                  MS - Human Sport Performance
                  NSCA - CPT, CSCS

Comment

Originally posted by oregonpanthers View Post
                    I will say that my list of goals and objectives are quite exacting but it works for me very well. I want to know for sure what my goal is and how it is I will go about reaching that goal and by what time it must be achieved.

I agree so much with the statement made by so man people every day that their goal is to:

"To gain mass"

"To lose weight"

That might be the most pointless and useless goal one could have!

It lacks specifics (how much weight or mass, where from specificly)

It lacks a means (doing cardio, weights, sport, diet change)

It lacks a time frame or deadline (weeks, months, years?)

Is it feasible (gaining or losing 30lbs in 1 month just aint going to happen)

The 4 primary goals I listed are the ones I read to myself before every workout (its taped to my log book). This allows me to be positive of why I am there in the gym that day and how I am going to get the job done.
                    It sounds like the criteria you use to determine your goals is based on the SMART system.

Specific
                    Measurable
                    Achievable
                    Realistic
                    Timebound

It's the only way to set good goals.

Matt

Comment

I made small goals waay back when... i had a goal to hit 100lbs bench press. Cant remember the other exercises .. then after i hit 100lbs i remember telling myself next 150lbs. .. think that was that last time i really set goal amounts - these days its just about conditioning and "sculpting". But i tell u when i hit those goals i made damm sure everyone knew it. I bragged and was so pumped i remember my head getting inflaited lol ahh memories...

*But i never would have been able to make those goals had i not set them out for myself. The feeling u get when u make those goals is priceless. And after 10 odd years i still remember that day!

This Post May be found offensive & may contain offensive material, consider yourself advised.

Comment

yeah the problem with unspecified goals is you never really satisfied... yeah you want to add mass but after gaining 10 lbs is that enough? what is enough? after you say you want to drop fat and drop 5% is that enough? if you dont set a specific point to reach what defines your goal as being accomplished?

Comment

Originally posted by Warrior View Post
                          Absolutely... a good training log can not be stressed enough, it's paramount to understand where you are going... and where you have been.

Simply going into the gym and moving some weights is not going to cut it after the initial adaptations have occured (connective tissue, mind-muscle connection). You can easily fall into a rut where you present no stimilis for growth.

With goals and a written journal, you know for certain how much you must push yourself to stay on a progressive track.
                          A log is crucial. Gains are made from incremental improvements from the previous week's LOG OF PERFORMANCE. It is a marathon, gentlemen, not a sprint.

Comment

Originally posted by Warrior View Post
                            The irony is when people label themselves as "hardgainers" but when asked to see their training journal they look at you like you just asked them to furnish a barbell from their ass...
                            Geeze, tell me about it!

"I don't see myself gaining in the gym."
                            "Well, what does your workout journal say?"
                            "I'm not keeping a journal...sounds kinda gay."
                            "So does going to the gym and not seeing any progress."
                            Why are you wearing that stupid bunny suit?

Comment

Originally posted by strawberryriddick View Post
                              Geeze, tell me about it!

"I don't see myself gaining in the gym."
                              "Well, what does your workout journal say?"
                              "I'm not keeping a journal...sounds kinda gay."
                              "So does going to the gym and not seeing any progress."
                              lol love it because you hear it so damn much

Comment

Working...
                              X