Announcement

Collapse

Registration by Invite Only

Because of the email regisration being abused, registration will be by invitation only.
The Invitation must come from a No Bull member of 1 year or more, and it must be sent to Jen directly with an email address and username of the invitee.

Thanks for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Arm Training with 8 x Mr Olympia Lee Haney at the MD Legends Seminar

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haney, Ronnie and Dorian used the same exercises week in week out for years and arguably had the best physiques of all time. Obviously some truth it what they're saying!

Comment

Originally posted by majrminer View Post
      1. All top bodybuilders cheat to some extent and he's saying you gotta do heavy curls to make the arms grow. You can't do strict form on concentration curls and expect to improve beyond a certain point. You gotta increase the weights at some point and at some point, the only way you're gonna get it up is to throw your butt into it. Haven't you heard of the Weider Cheat Principle? But hey, if you want to keep doing perfect form, you can keep your arm size right where it is. Why does everyone think everything has to be perfect form?

I agree. Sometimes ''perfect'' form includes a little cheating. Anyway there is a multiple of variable to take account of. Some movement needs stricter form, while other need more freedom of movement.

2. Deca Durabolin and Dianabol, genetics, a mega calorie diet, rest, and heavy weights built his arms.

I would go the reverse order, but anyways...

3. Injury weeds out the weak. The top pro's have awesome genetics and that's one reason they make it so far through extreme training. Stop being afraid of injury. If you want to be a bodybuilder, it's not a matter of whether you'll get injured, it's a matter of WHEN you'll get injured.

That is idiotic. Exercising without regard to safety will get you injured a lot sooner than if you pay attention. Manual therapy and stretching, for exemple, are great tool to avoid overuses injury.

4. One more thing - stop trying to be shredded (if that's what you do) and/or get your ass under fork and knife. If you have ANY striations, you're not eating enough to grow. If you want to get big and you're young (your screen name has "87" in it), sorry pal, but you gotta bomb your system with food. 99% of people say they eat a lot, but I don't see them eating as they're telling me.... so they're not eating a lot. If you're not about to throw up every two hours while trying to hold food down, you just ain't doing it.

That is also false. Please don't grow to a major fat ass. You don't need that to build muscle. In fact, once new fat cell are created by the body, they cannot be eliminated, only reduced in size. This make it even more difficult for the former fat fuck to lose weight. I've seen plenty of natural and non-natural bodybuilder grow while keeping it lean. May be 5-6% bodyfat more than their stage percentage. The body don't need that much bodyfat, it's just useless weight to carry around.
      Answered

Comment

Enjoyed the video

Thank you Mr. Haney for the information. Believe me I will put it to use and let you know of the results.

Comment

Thanks MD for putting Lee Haney in your magazine and on the website. Just listening to him about training, the brother was making so much since. It's good to hear the older generation talk about training. It's seems that today we can get away from the basics and do all these different type of workouts when it's all about the "foundation" and keeping it simple. Really enjoyed the series with Lee Haney at this seminar and hopefully in the future you guys could have a lee haney week when he trains all the body parts. Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewa View Post
            When you speak on eating alot, what do you mean exactly? I hear ppl say, 5-6 SMALL meals a day, then I hear Jay Cutler say - "eat big, to get big". So what an example of a GOOD sized meal?
            Everyone's different. Small meals, depending on your definition of "small," will get you shredded. If you're not feeling full after a meal, chances are you've got room to add food. It also depends on how much you want to grow. We've all made the mistake of starting out as scrawny teens and eating 5-6 clean meals per day. That shit doesn't work. Sure, I gained quality muscle over the long term, but if I could go back (and if I wanted to gain real mass and a better base foundation than I ever had), I would have stuffed my face and built the base of a powerlifter first, and then as I got older I would have used bodybuilding principles for both nutrition and lifting. Sort of depends on your outlook, body type, and goals. I have an ectomorph frame, so powerlifting movements and stuffing my face work best to pack size and strength onto my frame. Someone with a mesomorph or endomorphic body type would likely use different principles.

Originally posted by Mpressive View Post
            I'm praying you're being sarcastic about a lot of that, but if you're not...you're an idiot. Nothing above makes you a serious lifter or hardcore lifter...
            I wasn't trying to be hardcore. I think we have a lot of young guys on this forum. I didn't intent to say "disregard your safety"... but if a young guy wants to do isolation movement with moderate weights and thinks he'll build a solid foundation, he's wrong. The videos we see are of massive bodybuilders doing concentration curls, lat pulldowns, and a lot of isolation movements (I'm not saying all isolation movements). I think this leads young guys to believe it's the best way to make their bodies grow, when in fact the basic compound heavy-ass movements make your body grow. What's the point in sculpting if there's nothing to sculpt? It's all relative to one's body and goals. And as for safety, I think my point was you need to be a little hardcore to make the body grow. Most people just don't have awesome genetics for growth, so busting ass is of great concern. I know from experience.

Originally posted by KINic View Post
            Answered
            You certainly don't need to eat so much that you'll be fat, but again, if you don't have a solid base foundation built you're just never going to have anything to sculpt down the road. You know you're gaining muscle if you stimulate it hard enough to grow, and if your body smooths out a bit. You're just not going to gain any appreciable size by staying at 10% bodyfat forever. I never intended to say you should be 20% bodyfat to grow. Sorry guys, I guess I should have added a caveat to my response: Young guys need to lift some fucking weight and eat some fucking food to get fucking big.
            Last edited by majrminer; March 15, 2011, 06:37 PM.
            BIG CALVES MEAN EVERYTHING. . .

Comment

Everyone's different. Small meals, depending on your definition of "small," will get you shredded. If you're not feeling full after a meal, chances are you've got room to add food. It also depends on how much you want to grow. We've all made the mistake of starting out as scrawny teens and eating 5-6 clean meals per day. That shit doesn't work. Sure, I gained quality muscle over the long term, but if I could go back (and if I wanted to gain real mass and a better base foundation than I ever had), I would have stuffed my face and built the base of a powerlifter first, and then as I got older I would have used bodybuilding principles for both nutrition and lifting. Sort of depends on your outlook, body type, and goals. I have an ectomorph frame, so powerlifting movements and stuffing my face work best to pack size and strength onto my frame. Someone with a mesomorph or endomorphic body type would likely use different principles.

I wasn't trying to be hardcore. I think we have a lot of young guys on this forum. I didn't intent to say "disregard your safety"... but if a young guy wants to do isolation movement with moderate weights and thinks he'll build a solid foundation, he's wrong. The videos we see are of massive bodybuilders doing concentration curls, lat pulldowns, and a lot of isolation movements (I'm not saying all isolation movements). I think this leads young guys to believe it's the best way to make their bodies grow, when in fact the basic compound heavy-ass movements make your body grow. What's the point in sculpting if there's nothing to sculpt? It's all relative to one's body and goals. And as for safety, I think my point was you need to be a little hardcore to make the body grow. Most people just don't have awesome genetics for growth, so busting ass is of great concern. I know from experience.

You certainly don't need to eat so much that you'll be fat, but again, if you don't have a solid base foundation built you're just never going to have anything to sculpt down the road. You know you're gaining muscle if you stimulate it hard enough to grow, and if your body smooths out a bit. You're just not going to gain any appreciable size by staying at 10% bodyfat forever. I never intended to say you should be 20% bodyfat to grow. Sorry guys, I guess I should have added a caveat to my response: Young guys need to lift some fucking weight and eat some fucking food to get fucking big.
              That, we agree!

Comment

Originally posted by KINic View Post
                That, we agree!
                Haha, um, maybe I will stick to stupid sarcastic comments from now on to avoid the blistering attacks of "idiot" and other psychological warfare.
                carrey_dumber.jpg
                BIG CALVES MEAN EVERYTHING. . .

Comment

Just don't exagerate too much and you will be safe.

Comment

Originally posted by bjfarias87 View Post
                    yeah I agree ..... it is odd to hear a pro bodybuilder telling a bunch of beginners that it is alright to cheat on certain exercises ...... I think many of the people at the seminar may mistake throwing their "butt" into the movement for throwing their "backs" into the movement. Hopefully these people know the difference and don't end up seriously injuring themselves.
                    Exactly what I was thinking.

Awesome video. At first I thought I was seeing Eddie Murphy giving biceps tips with Dan Aykroyd as his side kick!

Comment

1. All top bodybuilders cheat to some extent and he's saying you gotta do heavy curls to make the arms grow. You can't do strict form on concentration curls and expect to improve beyond a certain point. You gotta increase the weights at some point and at some point, the only way you're gonna get it up is to throw your butt into it. Haven't you heard of the Weider Cheat Principle? But hey, if you want to keep doing perfect form, you can keep your arm size right where it is. Why does everyone think everything has to be perfect form?

2. Deca Durabolin and Dianabol, genetics, a mega calorie diet, rest, and heavy weights built his arms.

3. Injury weeds out the weak. The top pro's have awesome genetics and that's one reason they make it so far through extreme training. Stop being afraid of injury. If you want to be a bodybuilder, it's not a matter of whether you'll get injured, it's a matter of WHEN you'll get injured.

4. One more thing - stop trying to be shredded (if that's what you do) and/or get your ass under fork and knife. If you have ANY striations, you're not eating enough to grow. If you want to get big and you're young (your screen name has "87" in it), sorry pal, but you gotta bomb your system with food. 99% of people say they eat a lot, but I don't see them eating as they're telling me.... so they're not eating a lot. If you're not about to throw up every two hours while trying to hold food down, you just ain't doing it.
                      Thanks for your response. I'm glad to hear another opinion, however I respectfully disagree with several of your points.......

1. "You gotta increase the weights at some point and at some point, the only way you're gonna get it up is to throw your butt into it. Haven't you heard of the Weider Cheat Principle?"
                      Yes, I have heard of the Weider cheat principle, have you? Go look it up, and you will be shocked to discover that it was only intended to be used at the end of a set, pushing your body beyond failure. Lee advises controlled cheating throughout the entire set of a curling movement. So bringing up this principle is irrelevant.
                      "But hey, if you want to keep doing perfect form, you can keep your arm size right where it is"
                      Did I ever say that I didn't perform cheat reps? ....... no.

2. "Deca Durabolin and Dianabol, genetics, a mega calorie diet, rest, and heavy weights built his arms."
                      ......... WOW thanks for the info, I never knew that steroids, diet, rest, and genetics built peoples arms. (sarcasm) But all joking aside, you really don't think that critical thinking and individualized training are important factors?

3. " Injury weeds out the weak. Stop being afraid of injury. If you want to be a bodybuilder, it's not a matter of whether you'll get injured, it's a matter of WHEN you'll get injured."
                      I completely disagree ..... injuries should and can be avoided. Trainers should be cautious when lifting and listen to their bodies. I understand that when lifting to complete failure, injury is always a risk factor, however it is a risk factor that is somewhat under our control.

4."One more thing - stop trying to be shredded and/or get your ass under fork and knife. If you have ANY striations, you're not eating enough to grow. If you're not about to throw up every two hours while trying to hold food down, you just ain't doing it".

Yea, I've heard of bulking before ...... I take it that you looked at my aviator, and are assuming that I walk around yearlong with a six pack ...... I know that my nutrition isn't Olympia level but that isn't what this thread is about. This thread is about arm training and the philosophies that go along with it.
                      Oh and by the way, in response to your singnature, no offense taken bro

Comment

exactly. low reps heavy weight=bigger muscle
                        http://forums.musculardevelopment.co...pictureid=9381

Comment

I'm so glad to see the great feedback here on Lee Haney. I felt the same way as I watched this video. Even for an advanced trainer like myself, I need reminders on things. Thank you MD for these videos with Lee Haney. Guys, he is so right when he said he went and learned from the older guys how to train correctly. We forget about basics sometimes and we really forget how awesome the older generation was. They had less to work with in terms of science and supplements yet delivered iconic development (no guts). THIS IS WHERE LEE HANEY BELONGS!!! He is needed to educate and I'm sure he loves this feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Harris View Post
                            But to his credit, his arms were not very good at all in his younger years - he had to work very hard for them.
                            Fantastic point Ron

Comment

The title says arms training. Where's the triceps part?

Comment

Originally posted by pinheadhell View Post
                                The title says arms training. Where's the triceps part?
                                Agreed. Also, did anybody do shoulders?

Comment

Working...
                                X